9/26 - Boise, ID @ Knitting Factory
9/27 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
9/28 - Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theater
9/29 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
10/1 - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Opera House
10/3 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theater
10/4 - San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
10/5 - Tempe, AZ @ The Marquee Theater

I'll probably try to do an interview with Neige for my blog!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:41 pm 

I'm going to the Chicago show. No exceptions.

Edit: I just trued to buy my ticket but the venue they are supposed to be at for the Chicago date has a different show booked for that date??

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

thunderhall
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am 

just got tix to the show at oakland metro and it went through fine!

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:20 pm 

Will probably try to make the VA show, I'm not too familiar with these bands, but what I've heard I've liked.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm 

Definitely going to this (Springfield, VA show). Alcest dropped off the last tour I was supposed to see them on (opening for Enslaved) so I'm not missing them this time!

KolmeNoitaa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:58 am 

Getting some tickets for the Cleveland show.
I'm so excited. Anathema and Alcest are divine.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:15 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
Definitely going to this (Springfield, VA show). Alcest dropped off the last tour I was supposed to see them on (opening for Enslaved) so I'm not missing them this time!

Alcest played that tour. Ghost was the band that dropped off and Junius replaced them.

I'll be at the Empire show for this tour. This would be a good place to ask, what should I check out from Anathema?

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:25 pm 

Got my ticket for the Philly show can't wait! Alcest is fucking awesome!!!

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 am 

BoltTheGates wrote:
talvikki77 wrote:

Alcest played that tour. Ghost was the band that dropped off and Junius replaced them.

I'll be at the Empire show for this tour. This would be a good place to ask, what should I check out from Anathema?

Ah, oops :/ I wound up not being able to go because of work, so that's my excuse for shoddy memory of the show :P See you at the show!

mikethemosher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 pm 

yo i used to really really dig this band. every album up to a fine day to exit was amazing and really moved me. i havent really followed them much since then, but im looking to check them out on this tour rolling through in toronto. anyone have feedback to offer from recent shows? do they still play songs from the 90s or early 2k?

thanks

edit: up to and including a fine day to exit is what i should say. i sorta recall a natural disaster, and i remember liking that as well. gonna check their other albums online.

Last edited by mikethemosher on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm 

Here's a recent setlist. One song from Judgement, nothing from prior to that.

I'd say this is indicative of what they're playing these days. (Also, here's the track list for their recent live album. Nothing prior to A Natural Disater).

Sorry to disappoint, but this show is probably not for you.

Me, I'm looking very forward to it, and already have my ticket for NYC. Personally, I think their post/prog rock stuff is far superior, and their last two were their best albums. Plus, support from Alcest? Win.
Obliteration

mikethemosher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 pm 

i do really like their more rock stuff so i think i just need to check their most recent albums. is there one or you think is best? i do have an open mind so im not entirely ready to discount seeing them. thx

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:27 pm 

mikethemosher wrote:
i do really like their more rock stuff so i think i just need to check their most recent albums. is there one or you think is best? i do have an open mind so im not entirely ready to discount seeing them. thx

Wasn't trying to insult you my friend, just going by what you wrote. Apologies for the misconception.

At any rate, their last two albums-We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems-are the ones I've referenced as my personal favorites. This changes when I think about it, but right now I'd edge out WHBWH as the favorite. These are the only two albums of new original material released since A Natural Disaster, so these are the ones you're probably looking to check out.
Obliteration

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm 

A bunch of DC metalheads said (in another thread) that they were probably going to this show at Empire, so you guys want to meet up and hang out? (I'll try to actually talk to you guys, and not let my bf do all the talking while I wander off to stare abstractedly at whoever is sound-checking at the moment..) I'll be wearing a Swallow the Sun shirt with a bird and a big splotch of bright green on it (this one) and waist-length hair, maybe some gothic make-up, all that jazz.

I can't wait. I wasn't that familiar with Anathema before this tour was announced, but have been listening to them a bunch and they sound pretty amazing.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
A bunch of DC metalheads said (in another thread) that they were probably going to this show at Empire, so you guys want to meet up and hang out? (I'll try to actually talk to you guys, and not let my bf do all the talking while I wander off to stare abstractedly at whoever is sound-checking at the moment..) I'll be wearing a Swallow the Sun shirt with a bird and a big splotch of bright green on it (this one) and waist-length hair, maybe some gothic make-up, all that jazz.

I can't wait. I wasn't that familiar with Anathema before this tour was announced, but have been listening to them a bunch and they sound pretty amazing.

Sorry guys, I don't think I can make this DC meet-up. :( Maybe next time.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
talvikki77 wrote:

Sorry guys, I don't think I can make this DC meet-up. :( Maybe next time.

Ah, too bad. Well, hope to see you at another show!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 pm 

So how has this tour been going people? I'm super excited to see it this weekend, any one else going to be at the show in Chicago on Saturday night?

Azmodes wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 pm 

What I wrote in the FFA in case you missed it:
Quote:
I was supposed to interview Neige but Alcest's van screwed up and they were late to the show (they headlined instead of Anathema). Oh well, got in for free anyway and got a nice small poster of the gig. Great evening but Alcest played 2 new songs and they suuuuuuuucked :( I finished the evening with a poutine and I finished Necroticism's plate like a pig.

I'll probably do an interview online but it's not the same :(

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 pm 

How was the rest of Alcest's set though?

Azmodes wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm 

Pretty good, "Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles" and "Sur L'océan couleur de fer" were the highlights. Neige was quite happy to be back in Montréal.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm 

The Philly show was great! Alcest blew my fucking mind how tight they were, great show!

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:13 pm 

I did go to this last Friday (Springfield, VA show). Alcest was amazing. It was the first time I saw them, and I was entranced the whole time. The music really does carry you off to far-off fantastic places.. And during Anathema's set, I saw Neige standing by the merch table, and went and said hi and shook his hand :)

I was expecting to like Anathema just as much, but couldn't get into them for some reason. (I wrote a review where I tried to figure it out, but I don't think I got it.) They seemed at once too jarringly loud (especially the drums) and too quiet at times (like, the beginning of every song).

Alcest though.. I was still in a bit of a daze the next morning, just thinking about their set.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm 

Awesome!! Really glad to hear Alcest has been great, I've never seen them before, honestly I just got into the whole post black whatever not too long ago and I'm really digging the style right now so this is kinda a big highlight for me.

Azmodes wrote:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:52 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
I was expecting to like Anathema just as much, but couldn't get into them for some reason.

I went to the NYC stop on this show, and I can tell you I was ultimately way less into Anathema than I was expecting. And I can tell you the reason why is because I truly felt like it was not exactly Anathema that I was watching.

I look at it this way:

-No John Douglas, no explanation or advance notice.
-Keyboardist Daniel Cardoso was drumming (a fine drummer in his own right, but had a bit of trouble with the 5/8 groove of "Internal Landscapes").
-The keyboards were then mostly relegated to pretaped backing tracks, with some done by Danny Cavanagh (I think this is lame and cheating, and yes I know "everyone does it" (even Alcest earlier in the night), I don't care, it's still lame and cheating).
-Despite being on pretaped backing tracks, the orchestral elements of their last two album were somewhat poorly recreated).
-No Jamie Cavanagh, no explanation or advance notice (seriously, no blog or website post when two of your members-especially one who is a key original member and somewhat prominent songwriter (Douglas)-can't make a tour for whatever reason?).
-I have no idea who the live session bassist was (the announcement was made, I couldn't catch it).

So the only band members there were Vincent & Danny Cavanagh, Lee Douglas occasionally (she doesn't sing on every song; 8 out of 13 at this particular show), and technically Cardoso (again, not in his usual position). It feels like Anathema has kind of become the "Vinny & Danny Show" as of late (the Weather Systems credits validates this line of thought somewhat).

I kind of got over it somewhat quickly, as I waited for a long time to see them (I got cheated out of it in 2011 on the Blackfield tour, when Vincent & Danny were the only ones who could make it), and I wasn't gonna have my first time seeing them in full be spoiled too much (especially since I've been very, very high on their last two albums).

I ultimately enjoyed the show, but the feeling of not getting what I paid for lingered to a degree.

Mamiffer was interesting conceptually, but I think this would be better suited for home listening, not live performance.

Alcest killed it, the two new songs were outstanding ("Opale" in particular), despite the cheating (pretaped backing vocals in "Opale" is all I noticed (I guess ironically enough)), and I scored a translucent green Les Voyages LP.

Decent night overall.
Obliteration

Reply to topic