I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 am 

Nah fuck off, GTAIV is still great.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:18 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody said all the same stuff about GTAIV, it was garnering perfect scores from gaming websites the internet over, but nowadays most people can agree that it's pretty, but dull and irritating and just generally a piece of bug ridden filth.

Like every GTA game ever

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:26 am 

No one said the PS2 GTAs were pretty.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am 

GTA V is looking a lot better than I expected, but still it seems like the kinda game I could borrow from one of the 20 people at work who are buying it and beat it in a week and be satisfied. I bought GTA IV and regretted it since I beat it fairly quick, did a few extra things/multiplayer then never played it again. Red Dead Redemption is the best Rockstar game by far so far IMO because it's FUN, has a great story and is quite unique. I'd be a lot more excited for RDR 2 than GTA V.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:38 am 

Rockstar are one of the most polarizing developers for me personally. I started Max Payne 3 this week and I found the gameplay absolutely dull. I stopped playing because I was getting nothing out of it. Now, the characterization is sometimes outstanding in their output, but they really should work on their games more. Generally, I hate most of the stuff Rockstar put out, but I always end up buying their games at some point. I was surprised that I genuinely enjoyed RDR.

I have LA Noire sitting in the backlog. I'm strangely looking forward to playing it as pretty much everyone hates it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:54 am 

Dandelo wrote:
I have LA Noire sitting in the backlog. I'm strangely looking forward to playing it as pretty much everyone hates it.

It's an interesting game. Has a completely wasted open-world setting with absolutely nothing to do in it, but the investigation portion is neat. After the 10th time doing it, though, you don't feel like things are as accomplished as they should be (particularly if you can't get questioning right, which is often confusing to pin).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

So, I've been heavily pondering the possibility of getting a copy of Dark Souls. Slow-paced, harsh RPGs aren't usually my thing, but I think that it would be a nice change of pace from the stuff I usually play. From what I understand, the game's both pretty damn frustrating and really rewarding, so yeah..... Any tips before I start eating the flesh from my arms in desperation?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

Read an introductory tutorial or something. Took me long enough to even realize what the fuck humanity does, or how to get more estus flasks.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:34 pm 

Most of the stuff that you absolutely must know in Dark Souls becomes fairly obvious after a few hours of play, but it doesn't hurt to get a head start. Definitely a must play.

On other topic, anyone play the new Amnesia? I've yet to do so, but people are saying that it doesn't hold a candle to the original and that Outlast can easily kick its ass, despite also being a little underwhelming. Anyone care to comment?
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Last edited by Nochielo on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:50 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
So, I've been heavily pondering the possibility of getting a copy of Dark Souls. Slow-paced, harsh RPGs aren't usually my thing, but I think that it would be a nice change of pace from the stuff I usually play. From what I understand, the game's both pretty damn frustrating and really rewarding, so yeah..... Any tips before I start eating the flesh from my arms in desperation?

I wouldn't call the same slow and sluggish (unless you're using heavy equipment), it just takes some getting used to. The game is as much about your timing and reflexes as it is watching the enemies and getting a feel for their movements and attacks. Keep in mind that you will die a lot at the beginning, and charging gung-ho in to a fight will get you killed in about 10 seconds. It's easy to feel like you've hit a wall when you keep dying at the same spot repeatedly but that's part of the game's charm; every section and boss can be beaten and figuring out how is a large part of what makes the game so satisfying.

I don't want to give away too much, but I will say this:

- Try to avoid depending on a shield too heavily and work on dodging/parrying.
- Kindle the flames. Having 10 Estus Flasks as opposed to 5 uses will be a major godsend when you are starting out.
- Watch what stats you level up. No point in increasing, say, Faith if you aren't going to use Miracles or Divine weapons.
- Weapons and Armour aren't limited to class, but you do want to pick a class that starts with higher stats in a field(s) you'd like to specialize in.
- Don't go to New Londo Ruins when you start.

I just started a new character (Pyromancer) to get back in to the swing of things by the time that DS2 comes out so I'm more than happy to co-op with you to get the hang of the game (and beyond!) if you'd like, provided you actually get the game :P.

I'm sure Morrigan would be able to think of more to add, but then again she's amazing at DS. She saved my ass a couple times in DeS.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm 

I disagree, everyone should go in New Londo when they start. Just so they can go "fuuuuu" and "nope!". :nods:

Speaking of nope, here's my favourite Dark Souls gif:

Spoiler: show

In all seriousness those are good enough tips to start. I'd also add:

- Don't use a guide*, discovery is part of the fun
- Don't use the Drake Sword or the Lightning Spear. They are noob crutches that will prevent you from understanding how to upgrade weapons and while they appear strong at first, they will hinder you later. Speaking of which:
- Spending souls to buy titanite to upgrade a weapon is usually a better investment than in levelling up (exception: if the stat you need to level up is a minimum requirement for a weapon or spell you want). When there's a choice, pick the former.
- When levelling up, don't spread your stats too thin. Vitality and endurance are usually safe to level up, but for the rest, pick a "path", so to speak. Jack-of-all-trades are terrible in Demon's/Dark Souls.
- Do not consume Firekeeper Souls.
- Poise is good, but mobility is even better.
- Listen to what the NPCs say. Exhaust their dialogues whenever you can. If you revisit them later, talk to them again, they may have new info.
- Prepare to die. :)

*I can make an exception about Covenants, that shit is very poorly explained, if you aren't sure about how to progress into a covenant go for it. Luckily, all covenants are 100% optional and are usually just for online stuff.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Vitality and endurance are usually safe to level up

Quote:
if the stat you need to level up is a minimum requirement for a weapon or spell you want

I'd daresay that's the only time you need to level anything else, unless you want more attunement slots.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Speaking of nope, here's my favourite Dark Souls gif:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure I did the EXACT same thing when I saw that bastard. Also, I guess there's one good reason to go in to New Londo at the start (if you pick the "right" option when creating your character), but what you find there is also what you'd call a noob crutch IMO.

Quote:
*list of good advice*

And see, I knew you'd have more to add! The VIT & END bit is super helpful; upgrading your weapons is a much better way to add damage. Leave the others (STR, DEX, etc...) for later. Also, don't bother to upgrade anything past 40. This is known as the diminishing returns point for a lot of stats.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

Thanks guys. I'll save the tips on a folder for later. Time to go hunting for a copy now!

Also, what the hell was that thing on the gif? It looks like one of the monsters from The Descent, only it actually seems menacing. Speaking of which, whoever did the creature designs for the game deserves commendation. Most of the monsters I've seen so far are pretty inventive, and the Gaping Dragon in particular looks fucking awesome.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Haha, that is fantastic! It doesn't capture the dread of running into one of those for the first time (controlling the character and action obviously creates a good deal of the tension), but that is still terrific. I did essentially the same thing when I first saw those. The Cthulhu guys from the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls received a very similar reaction.

To say nothing of my constant pitfalling in that damned tower.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm 

The first time I got to that area, I thought you were supposed to go through there blind...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm 

I hate to say it, but I've barely touched Dark Souls in weeks. The one exception was two nights ago, when I drunkenly decided to give it another crack. Needless to say, being very intoxicated and out of practice, I died within minutes. That did it for me. I'm not saying I'm done with this game forever, but for the time being, it seems I am.

That said, Dark Souls has really slanted my view of other games. I was playing some Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and I swear, it felt like I was playing on Easy, and in God Mode. Of course, The Force Unleashed was meant to be pretty easy, but it seemed downright laughable compared to Dark Souls. Still, it was nice to be able to run around hacking with a lightsaber and Force Pushing enemies off ledges without having to give the slightest thought to things like 'tactics' and 'caution'. :p

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Vitality and endurance are usually safe to level up

Quote:
if the stat you need to level up is a minimum requirement for a weapon or spell you want

I'd daresay that's the only time you need to level anything else, unless you want more attunement slots.

Well, no. Eventually you do need to pump your main damage stat, but at first it's better to focus on those while you focus on upgrading your gear.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 pm 

Just extrapolating from my experience so far.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:33 pm 

So I just played PS4! :D ...for five minutes, then the demo console crashed. :(

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

The problems of Grand Theft Auto IV far outweigh the good portions of it. There's some really effective story beats, but it's unfortunately bloated, and it's mechanically bankrupt from top to bottom. I hope Rockstar learned from the issues with IV. Max Payne 3 was mostly sound mechanically, so I hope they went a few more steps in that direction and applied that philosophy to the rest of V. I shouldn't need to fight the systems of a game, and they should be in service of having fun, and not something to constantly pushing against. Always and forever, and that's never changed.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:29 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

The problems of Grand Theft Auto IV far outweigh the good portions of it. There's some really effective story beats, but it's unfortunately bloated, and it's mechanically bankrupt from top to bottom. I hope Rockstar learned from the issues with IV. Max Payne 3 was mostly sound mechanically, so I hope they went a few more steps in that direction and applied that philosophy to the rest of V. I shouldn't need to fight the systems of a game, and they should be in service of having fun, and not something to constantly pushing against. Always and forever, and that's never changed.

Can you really compare Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto, though? There just isn't enough computing power in current consoles to put Max Payne's gameplay on a GTA scale. I guess you could if you made it look like GTA 3, but I'm not sure that'd go over so well in 2013.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:40 am 

The perennial problem with GTA games is that, being the dev's flagship franchise, it always seems like the games come out *before* some important development in actual gameplay. The gunplay in RDR just seems so much smoother than GTAIV that it makes the latter feel archaic by comparison. It's only safe to assume that the same thing will happen with GTAV.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 am 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Can you really compare Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto, though? There just isn't enough computing power in current consoles to put Max Payne's gameplay on a GTA scale. I guess you could if you made it look like GTA 3, but I'm not sure that'd go over so well in 2013.

You'd be surprised. I've spent the past day watching leaked gameplay and it blew my mind. Max Payne 3's movement, shooting, and bullet time is present in Grand Theft Auto V, just sans the John Woo dives. Many elements from other games could be found, like San Andreas RPG-lite elements and crazy characters, Midnight Club driving and car customization, a much more alive world like Red Dead Redemption, and then a shit ton of stuff we haven't seen in previous games. And no, the graphics don't look like GTA 3. It looks so much better than RDR while somehow managing to have a better framerate than GTAIV.

Personally, I think GTAIV's biggest flaw is that it looks as if GTA:San Andreas never existed. GTASA went so far past everyone's expectations and left people wondering how much better GTAIV will be. Turns out all the cool and amazing stuff that was added to GTASA wasn't to be found in the next game. Vice City to IV seems like a much more natural evolution (horrible pacing of IV aside) than SA to IV. I assume it's because Rockstar allocated most of it's resources on the new engine, which is a technical marvel in my opinion.

I know I sound nuts. Hopefully what I'm seeing from GTAV is actually real and not skewed due to the hype. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Side note: Euphoria ragdolls are great. http://i.minus.com/ivWSXxiZ5n6Zo.gif

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am 

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

I'm only talking about the gunplay and movement from GTAIV to MP3. Since Rockstar Games uses the same propriety engines for the mechanical bits in their games, the assumption is they will have drawn from and improved upon their last game, Max Payne 3 to power the gunplay, weapon handling and movement. It was faster, more precise and more fun to use. By "apply that philosophy to the rest of V," I meant apply the idea that everything is snappier and quicker, from the driving, to the movement to the running and all the other mechanical system of the game.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
So I just played PS4! :D ...for five minutes, then the demo console crashed. :(

What game did you play?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:11 pm 

hey wrote:
What game did you play?

Knack. Seems like a fun 3D platformer(ish) game. It felt a bit like Ratchet and Clank without guns. I only played a short section though; it looked like later in the demo you character grows up to a huge size and you can smash down buildings and throw tanks around and such.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:43 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
That said, Dark Souls has really slanted my view of other games. I was playing some Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and I swear, it felt like I was playing on Easy, and in God Mode. Of course, The Force Unleashed was meant to be pretty easy, but it seemed downright laughable compared to Dark Souls. Still, it was nice to be able to run around hacking with a lightsaber and Force Pushing enemies off ledges without having to give the slightest thought to things like 'tactics' and 'caution'. :p

I'm actually playing through this at the moment, as I skipped over it when it came out. Wasn't expecting much, just wanted a bit of running around hacking things with a lightsaber, like you said. But damn - the targeting system is totally fucking unforgivable. I swear, every bit of damage I've taken so far has been entirely down to being fucked over by it. Useless.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Red Dead Redemption is the best Rockstar game by far so far IMO because it's FUN, has a great story and is quite unique. I'd be a lot more excited for RDR 2 than GTA V.

Pretty much this. But it's because RDR was so great that I am taking a chance with getting GTAV on launch.

I don't think it'll come anywhere close to being as good as The Last of Us. Just based on the trailers it seems like they're trying to force some juvenile comedy. If GTA games were more serious and tried to be the gaming equivalent of The Wire or Breaking Bad, and there's no reason why it can't with Rockstar's huge budget and good story of RDR, then it could really be top dog.

But from what I've seen from the story trailers, I don't see that happening.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 pm 

While I haven't played Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV and Max Payne 3 had some of the most pretentious and deeply grating "serious" writing in any game ever. Both titles felt like low-tier comedy writers trying desperately to ape early Martin Scorsese/Paul Schrader/Mario Puzo and bombing so goddamn hard the ensuing explosion could be heard on Jupiter. If GTAV is indeed steering the series back to the ridiculousness of GTA's heyday, maybe I'll at least consider picking it up... but for now, I'll just stick to the Saints Row series which, aside from the first (which I haven't played and have no desire to), does most everything GTA does except for dogshit awful writing.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 am 

If you like GTA over Saints Row, you're wrong. Rockstar managed to write one good storyline in RDR, the rest is pretty much what darkeningday says it is. Let's face it: we used to play GTA for the retarded fun that Saints Row (almost) encourages.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
hey wrote:
What game did you play?

Knack. Seems like a fun 3D platformer(ish) game. It felt a bit like Ratchet and Clank without guns. I only played a short section though; it looked like later in the demo you character grows up to a huge size and you can smash down buildings and throw tanks around and such.

I've heard of that game before, and while it seems pretty neat, it sort of seems like a weird choice to try to sell a console off of.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:27 pm 

hey wrote:
I've heard of that game before, and while it seems pretty neat, it sort of seems like a weird choice to try to sell a console off of.

Yeah, it won't be a system seller for sure, but it looks pretty fun. The only retail titles they had available for trying were Knack, DriveClub and AssCreed 4. I don't like driving games, and I would have had to wait way longer to play AssCreed (there were a lot of people waiting just for that game) so... Knack it was.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

Yeah so I just game over'd in Donkey Kong Country 2 and lost a whole bunch of progress because I forgot to farm lives before attempting Gusty Glade again. That level's final section is completely infuriating. In other news: DKC2 is even more awesome than I remember.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:43 pm 

Put me in the ''every Rockstar game pales in comparison to Red Dead Redemption'' camp. As a fan of westerns, that game felt like a personal love letter to me. It felt the opposite of GTA (IE, not rushed in many, many ways). Lovingly crafted, with quite a good story, and very satisfying gunplay. Something Rockstar never nailed in anything else.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:17 pm 

The Saint's Row series can be pretty fun, but is completely terrible in comparison to GTA, not even a competition.

RDR is probably my favourite Rockstar game as well. Beautiful game.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm 

RDR was umpteen times better than GTA IV. GTA IV was a far too shallow game and the grittiness took away from the humour the series is known for. I remember playing Vice City and San Andreas and thinking this is perfect, the setting, the music. It really evokes an atmosphere that is valid to the subject it's trying to address. Vice City felt really 80's and SA felt like a proper gangsta game. GTA IV didn't have the same atmosphere. But I think GTA V will have it and I'm ridiculously excited to play.

In related news apparently Microshaft are banning people who recieved the game early(legitimately mind you) from Xbox live. Sony are doing nothing about.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
In related news apparently Microshaft are banning people who recieved the game early(legitimately mind you) from Xbox live. Sony are doing nothing about.

Jesus, shutup man, you sound like a pretentious fanboy.

The only cases of bans I saw were the people who were uploading videos and streaming before the game was released which is fair enough.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
The Saint's Row series can be pretty fun, but is completely terrible in comparison to GTA, not even a competition.

RDR is probably my favourite Rockstar game as well. Beautiful game.

Comparing Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto as if they can even be compared at this point, DATS SOME FUCKING FUNNY* SHIT DOOD.

*Typo I somehow missed.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:27 pm 

I take greater issue with the fact that I_Am_Vengeance lumped wonderful titles like GTA 2 and San Andreas with the attractive but utterly hollow and soulless minigame-fest that was GTAIV under the blanket nomenclature "GTA."

I don't think anyone can deny that Saints Row and even Saints Row 2 are anything but extremely obvious GTA clones; they basically just took nearly every mechanic the 3D GTA titles had and then just spray painted it pearlescent purple. That doesn't change the fact that Saints Row 2 is better than anything in the GTA series except for San Andreas. In the videogame world, the progenitor rarely has claim to the throne.

Granted, Saints Row 3 and ESPECIALLY Saints Row 4 really were complete departures from everything that was GTA, but that's not the topic at hand.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520 ... 940  Next