Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:49 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Tiamat? Nobody seems to care for them these days
Atropus wrote:
I was HUGE into Tiamat during my high school days, and loved everything they'd done up to and including A Deeper Kind of Slumber.
Metantoine wrote:
A lot of people (including myself) are still fans of their old stuff. [...] Still, the band hardly fits this thread...

'The Astral Sleep' is literally one my all-time favorite albums, and it's been that way since its release. Then, you have those who are (were?) into their black-ish demos and debut, and a third crowd into their post-'Sleeping Beauty' goth-ish stuff. I guess they hardly have much of a following among people who got into metal in the past decade or so, and yet most of them necessarily heard of them at some point, so I see how this could make sense for people unaware of their early discography. But no, they don't fit.

I have to say quite a few names brought up in this thread hardly ring a bell for me. Granted, the more recent you go after 2001 or so, the less knowledgeable I am, but it still feels like some quite obscure bands are being mentioned.

OzzyApu wrote:

Perfect example. I've been aware of that band/guitar hero for forever and listened to three of four of their/his albums time and again over the years, which I didn't dislike, but I never got into it, nor have I ever met anybody who was. I'm under the impression he has a sizable following in Japan, though, but who doesn't? :D

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:37 pm 

I'd definitely second Benediction, even seeing the pitiful amount of reviews they've gotten on this site would suggest so. I really like them though, Transcend The Rubicon is an excellent album. The problem with Benediction I feel is that they have always had to live in the shadows of Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower and Carcass.

I think Grave could apply to this too, while I'm not going to suggest they're unheard of, you very rarely hear people talk about them. They released an EP not so long ago and not a peep and last years Endless Procession of Souls was an absolute beast of a record yet no one really has taken notice(I still blast it a lot) everyone knows Grave yet they have had to compete with Dismember and Entombed for peoples ears. Also they have released a few bad albums. But a band who can release an album as good as Endless Procession of Souls in 2012 deserves respect.

EDIT: Just put on EPoS now. Excellent stuff...

Diligent Son
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:46 pm 

Hate Eternal immediately came to mind.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 pm 

Diligent Son wrote:

Well personally, I'm a fan. At least King of all Kings anyway. I went to see them a while back and the place was packed. I think in the more "internet Metal elitist" community. Hate Eternal would certainly fit the bill for the thread though.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:49 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Gargoyle. Yeah. That one. You've seen BastardHead talk about them more and more frequently. He even brings them up in Manilla Road reviews. Crick and OzzyApu reviewed them years ago. But they are seldom discussed here, seemingly passed over for the better known - and plain better - Sabbat.

Sabbat and Gargoyle??? That's like comparing Slayer to Motley Crue......

Same country, but totally different scene and LIGHT YEARS apart in sound!!!

Gargoyle are on the tails of the big wave of theatrical Japanese metal bands like Seikima II, etc. Gargoyle are much heavier though......

And yeah, they have a pretty huge following and cult status in Japan, but for me, they're like the Japanese metal equivalent of the Grateful Dead.
Loads of people love them, but I never really saw what all the fuss was about.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:02 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Gargoyle. Yeah. That one. You've seen BastardHead talk about them more and more frequently. He even brings them up in Manilla Road reviews. Crick and OzzyApu reviewed them years ago. But they are seldom discussed here, seemingly passed over for the better known - and plain better - Sabbat.

What the hell are you talking about? Gargoyle are by no means a band that "everybody knows" - the name is mentioned a lot around here because a few regulars are huge fans, and most of the time they are mentioned, there's a small fanboy orgy. Gargoyle's music isn't even distributed outside of Japan AFAIK, and their aesthetic/appeal has a very strong Japanese style.

Atropus wrote:
Sabbat and Gargoyle??? That's like comparing Slayer to Motley Crue......

Good comparison. :lol: Sabbat play black/thrash and they even deal with two US labels who specialize in that style/appeal - NWN and HHR. They're not even a band that everybody knows, but they're promoted in the US by someone besides BastardHead and OzzyApu. :nods:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:40 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I'd definitely second Benediction, even seeing the pitiful amount of reviews they've gotten on this site would suggest so. I really like them though, Transcend The Rubicon is an excellent album. The problem with Benediction I feel is that they have always had to live in the shadows of Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower and Carcass.

Transcend the Rubicon is nice, although some of their later stuff is scarily heading down a bad path. I'm into them, but you're right that they are a sort of "hidden" band.

Diligent Son wrote:

Hey, I'm into them! :D I, Monarch is damn awesome and their best album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:11 pm 

Graveworm:
It seems everyone knows of these guys but I've never met that person who actively said they are a fan of them.

99% of the time the conversation about Graveworm is short, simple and consists of just this:

"Hey, you know that band Graveworm?"
"That band who covered Losing My Religion?"
"Yeah."
"...."

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:23 pm 

Septic Flesh also.....

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Perfect example. I've been aware of that band/guitar hero for forever and listened to three of four of their/his albums time and again over the years, which I didn't dislike, but I never got into it, nor have I ever met anybody who was. I'm under the impression he has a sizable following in Japan, though, but who doesn't? :D

I have to third this. *checks Oricon* Wow, the poor guy actually didn't chart there. I know Royal Hunt does... now there's a band made for this thread.

Atropus wrote:
Septic Flesh also.....

They seem pretty popular now. 10 years ago I would've agreed with you completely, however... Their country mates Nightfall fit this thread perfectly though.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
Graveworm

It seems everyone knows of these guys but I've never met that person who actively said they are a fan of them.

I like these guys too... :roll: But only through (N)Utopia. Everything after it really suck balls save for a few songs off of Fragment of Death. I've also heard a lot of hate for (N)Utopia but I really enjoy it honestly, I can see why people hate it but those are sadly the reasons I like it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:49 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? Gargoyle are by no means a band that "everybody knows" - the name is mentioned a lot around here because a few regulars are huge fans, and most of the time they are mentioned, there's a small fanboy orgy. Gargoyle's music isn't even distributed outside of Japan AFAIK, and their aesthetic/appeal has a very strong Japanese style.

I'd argue that just about all the regulars here would be familiar with the name and therefore worthy of discussion in this thread. In the greater world of metal, outside MA, they're fairly compared to somone like Manilla Road in the sense they've had long careers and they have a small but loyal fan base.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:36 am 

Most people into death metal have heard of Malevolent Creation, but very few would consider them anything more than B-tier.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 am 

Personally I'm a huge fan of both Mortuary Drape and Mithras, the former's performance at MDF being a definite highlight for me. Aeon I'm also a pretty big fan of, great meat-and-potatoes death metal that can hit like a steamroller when the mood strikes.

As for bands that apply, I would say Sentenced and Angelcorpse. I've never met or seen anyone who is "really into" either of these bands, mostly just a occasional casual listen. And with that criteria I'm also a bit tempted to say Unleashed, who have always gotten the least recognition out of the swedish 4, though I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 am 

joppek wrote:
i'm gonna have to go with obituary - just a decent old school dm bands that no one really fell in love with, like they did with morbid anglel, death etc.; but they were still good enough that everyone knows them

I'm a massive Obie fan and much prefer them over Morbid Angel, of whom I only really enjoy 'Altars of madness' and some stuff from 'Covenant'.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am 

Atropus wrote:
Benediction only get attention due to their connection with Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death....
I listened to the first 3 albums...... alright but nothing mind-blowing.

'Killing music' is... killer and possibly my favourite album by them.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:09 am 

GravityLapse wrote:
As for bands that apply, I would say Sentenced and Angelcorpse.

there's lots of sentenced fans here, but maybe it's just finland - i know a guy with a sentenced tattoo

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 am 

GravityLapse wrote:
Personally I'm a huge fan of both Mortuary Drape and Mithras, the former's performance at MDF being a definite highlight for me. Aeon I'm also a pretty big fan of, great meat-and-potatoes death metal that can hit like a steamroller when the mood strikes.

As for bands that apply, I would say Sentenced and Angelcorpse. I've never met or seen anyone who is "really into" either of these bands, mostly just a occasional casual listen. And with that criteria I'm also a bit tempted to say Unleashed, who have always gotten the least recognition out of the swedish 4, though I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong.

Sure, we could argue over this kind of stuff for ages. What I haven't seen anybody say in this thread is that it's a very "regional" thing. What do I mean by that? Well, let's see....back in the spring of 2002 or so I didn't really know anybody around here who was into manilla Road, and I was only just getting into them myself. I showed them to my best friend/soon-to-be Demontage guitarist and we both ended up getting more and more into the albums the more we discovered. Said friend later got two of the guys from Goat Horn to listen to them, and suddenly here was Goat Horn doing a cover of "Necropolis" on stage (or maybe they had already become Cauldron by that point, I honestly don't remember). Now I can count at least a dozen Manilla Road fans in this city, and this is just off the top of my head/people I know. I think the affinity for Mortuary Drape started in a similar way; I know the same fellow first showed me Tolling THirteen Gnelland I was just floored by it..people like us kept talking about the band, and I'm sure some of the black metal folk would have discovered them in time, but I like to think we had a hand in gaining recognition for both bands around here. It was very gratifying to be hanging out with some friends in front of an open fire down in a valley last month blasting Mortuary Drape and having everyone know at least vaguely what we were listening to!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 am 

Sentenced's North from Here has a lot of fans, as far as I'm aware. Ripping, technical, melodic death metal. I'm not really keen to check out any of their later stuff, mind you.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:20 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Sentenced's North from Here has a lot of fans, as far as I'm aware. Ripping, technical, melodic death metal. I'm not really keen to check out any of their later stuff, mind you.

It's not ridiculous gothic shite by any means, but it isn't exactly great heavy metal, either...North From here is still their best by a considerable margin. Anyway so far as I can tell the band has quite a high number of fans, though maybe not as many as when they were still active.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:13 pm 

I'm very much into Shadows of Past, not so much the later stuff. Being Finnish, I listened to the later albums as a teenager, and I can verify that they still enjoy considerable popularity even after all this time.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm 

I've never met anyone that was really into Dark Tranquility but I always hear their name come up when any melodic death metal band is being discussed. Its as if they are there just to be compared to other melodeath bands.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 pm 

I don't think Dark Tranquillity fits. They're tons of fans on this board and all over, sure there really isn't any raging fanboys around here but saying that nobody is into them is just silly.

Azmodes wrote:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 pm 

To be honest I feel like this thread was always going to go the same way. SOmeone suggests a band; someone else says "oh yeah? Well I know so-and-so likes them!" Pretty much every band has fans somewhere and chances are people on here will know some of them. Of course the OP kind of fit in my case and made me realise I should probably get that Morbid EP once and for all, but I know fans of that as well and that it's just a shortcoming on my part that I haven't really given Morbid a lot of time.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm 

Sure every band has some fans but what I get from the OP is bands like Key Dragon, not a big well know band that surely has fans and just cause you don't personally know any you throw them out there. I think it was more directed at the infamous bands than anything, I can't remember where the discussion was but it was relatively recent and it involved lots of really bad youtube videos of comical quality and most of them were bedroom black metal if I remember correctly. Stuff like that would fit as well.

Azmodes wrote:

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Turisas, Eluveitie are 2 bands that comes to mind. No one here talk about them and no one recommends them at all.

There are many old bands with limited output what would fit, but it's a bit unfair since they faded many years ago in a way or another, like Baphomet, Infernal Torment, Luciferion, Cancer (recently reformed), even Morgoth and Disincarnate (I listen to all these bands even today).

Luciferion are one of my favourite bands. Both cds are badass. Baphomet is another genuinely great osdm band

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 pm 

The funny thing about Keydragon, the keyboardist (I believe the mastermind behind the whole mess) is actually a decent pianist/keyboardist. He posted some videos of him playing alone, but the band is just an atrotious(sp?) mess.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:37 pm 

I think Obituary and Cannibal Corpse would fall more into the "bands who are immensely popular and everyone loves, but I never could figure out why" thread.

Actually, knowing they both play live a lot, have a relatively groovy/accessible sound, lyrics that non-Satanist metalheads can relate to, and lots of other exposure is probably the reason why.

I never liked Obituary until listening to the first two albums repeatedly until they "clicked". They always struck me as too groovy, too urban, had a guitar tone I couldn't stand, and John Tardy's very annoying vocals.
Now, I can listen to Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death and enjoy them, but nothing afterwards....

As for Cannibal Corpse, only the slight Sepultura-like production and thrashy riffs make the first 3 albums tolerable. Even then, they still have a lot of the annoying earmarks of their later stuff...... Chris Barnes had to be one of the most one-dimensional vocalists in death metal history, pus a lot of those stupid "DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN" unison parts that became the trademark of future "pig-squeal DM" bands.....

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm 

i suppose at the end of the day, the only band that really fits in this thread is anvil

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 am 

Lich King might fit. Everyone knows the hilariously bad production of Toxic Zombie Onslaught, but they are never mentioned otherwise. Same with a lot of other new wave thrash bands. Gargoyle also totally fits the bill, as others have said. Oh, I also never see Origin mentioned either.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 am 

joppek wrote:
i suppose at the end of the day, the only band that really fits in this thread is anvil

I know an anvil fan. :D

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 am 

There are lots of Anvil fans around here. I'm sure there must be in Greece and Germany as well.

So let's move on a little bit here. How much of a regional phenomenon are underground metal bands? Is it unusual for a band to cultivate a large fanbase outside of their home territory if they're not "huge"? Can we compare this to the punk scene, which is highly regional in nature but with a large number of key bands that seem to be universally known and respected?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Lich King might fit. Everyone knows the hilariously bad production of Toxic Zombie Onslaught, but they are never mentioned otherwise. Same with a lot of other new wave thrash bands. Gargoyle also totally fits the bill, as others have said. Oh, I also never see Origin mentioned either.

I disagree. Maybe on this board, but I know plenty of Lich King fans on other boards, myself being one. It's unfortunate that many people will write them off based on the poor production of their first two albums, but the two more recent albums are two of the best new wave thrash albums around.

Also, regarding Anvil, I'm definitely a huge fan. I've got every album and there isn't a single bad one. A few of them are weaker, but none are truly bad, and I regularly spin Plenty of Power, Speed of Sound, and most of the others.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Turisas, Eluveitie are 2 bands that comes to mind. No one here talk about them and no one recommends them at all.

I recall them getting a lot more attention here when the pop-folk metal wave took off in 2007-2008. I'd guess the lack of recommendation these days is because both bands peaked around that same time with their second albums and haven't released anything decent since (just check out the reviews here for their later efforts.)

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:17 pm 

Impaled and Monstrosity? They do have classic albums, but it seems they are almost considered one-album bands.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Milo wrote:
Monstrosity?

Kind of. They've got their first two which are MA-staple mentions for USDM, but Monstrosity is kind of like second-tier death metal. Nothing really great about them beyond that, at least to my ears.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm 

Annihilator: Tons of albums but you never hear anyone talk about them.

Vintersorg: Was very popular about 10 years ago, still puts out albums but I don't think anyone cares much anymore.

Limbonic Art: Solid black metal but rarely heard of.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:08 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Annihilator: Tons of albums but you never hear anyone talk about them.

Vintersorg: Was very popular about 10 years ago, still puts out albums but I don't think anyone cares much anymore.

Limbonic Art: Solid black metal but rarely heard of.

Vintersorg were one of the first black/folk bands I got into along with Falkenbach. I remember listening to Till Fjalls time and time again, I still put it on for nostalgia purposes every once in a blue moon!

Cannibal Corpse are so popular but I can honestly say I've never been into them. They're really bland. I don't really like their style of technical death metal, I'm an Autopsy/Scream Bloody Gore kind of guy. Come to think of it, I don't like technical death metal as a whole. Nile are another band that get talked about a lot but I really just never have enjoyed them at all.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:52 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Cannibal Corpse are so popular but I can honestly say I've never been into them. They're really bland. I don't really like their style of technical death metal, I'm an Autopsy/Scream Bloody Gore kind of guy. Come to think of it, I don't like technical death metal as a whole. Nile are another band that get talked about a lot but I really just never have enjoyed them at all.

Cannibal Corpse and Nile have huge fanbases though.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm 

Vintersorg has a dedicated fanbase almost from the Otyg days. Not huge by any means, but very loyal despite the lack of live shows. This goes for all Andreas Hedlund's projects and Borknagar, another band with a strong fanbase. I remember an interview with Borknagar where they were asked about the label support and their lack of tours, they basically said: according to Century Media, we are the best selling record band from their black metal roster and we might do way better if we tour regularly but we value our family time. They headlined Inferno not long ago, so forgotten they are not.

I tend to think that Arcturus has also a decent amount of fans. When I saw them live, the place was packed as hell, as well as I know a lot of people who's also fan of the band.

Last edited by Kveldulfr on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next