Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, that sounds like your problem, not theirs. I love talking to people about music because I like all sorts of different stuff. Even though I might not get to talk about some of my favorite trad metal bands all the time, there's plenty of other music I like that I can talk about with people. If you have that hard of a time finding people to talk to about it, that just means you have very narrow and boring interests.

Yeah, I imagine its pretty much my fault. I'm not really one that is into that much, mostly non-pop country, rock, and metal with clean singing. Part of my problem is that I don't really listen to anything anyone else does. Most people around my age in my area listen to rap, hip-hop, pop, or shitty ass radio country that gets force fed to the idiots. Occasionally there's someone into electronica or jazz or some such I can start a decent chat with, but I only really meet those if I go into the city or spend a lot of time down by the college.

AppleQueso wrote:
Also, low turnouts are a common problem for damn near any metal band, no matter what the genre. Someone in here once mentioned going to a Vektor show that had like 50 people, and Vektor told them it was actually a pretty good turnout.

And I really, really can't think of a single good reason for caring so much about whether or not what you like is popular.

A low turn out for Vektor? I would expect that more than a low turn out for something with clean vocals. Screechy thrash vocals aren't many people's cup of tea, so it makes sense to me they would have a low turnout.

My reason's for caring about what I like being popular aren't good, they're stupid really, but I'm holding onto them.

Exigence wrote:
Wolf is so much better than most of those bands.

Shit like Enforcer, Steelwing, Katana, Holy Grail, White Wizzard, Fueled by Fire, Huntress, Lords of the Trident, Striker, Skull Fist, Bloodbound, Cauldron and I guess Ghost.....none of them have a great songs, they're just playing in a niche style that was mostly avoided in the 90s and 2000s as power metal and extreme metal evolved.

Wolf has awesome songs, however. The rest are like the shitty second comings of Tygers of Pan Tang.

And, exactly the type of sentiment that makes me want this to become a thing really.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:48 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
My reason's for caring about what I like being popular aren't good, they're stupid really, but I'm holding onto them.

Why would you want to hold on to rationale that by admission you think is "stupid"?

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:51 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

Why would you want to hold on to rationale that by admission you think is "stupid"?

Because I connect things poorly when it comes to relationships, and because of that I'm scared to change my views and feelings about things despite the fact that I consider them stupid.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:21 pm 

I saw Accept at a nearly packed venue not long after seeing Immolation play to like 16 or 17 people. Stop reading shitty mainstream metal magazines and get involved with people (on the internet, if you have to) who are into the same stuff you are. Crying about how you hate harsh vocals isn't going to do anything to help the situation and I'm sure you'll find that the vast majority of people who prefer more extreme styles are perfectly open to quality trad metal. It's not some maligned, dying style; it's you turning your personal anecdotes into this broad representation of metaldom that's not at all an accurate picture of the real state of things.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:20 pm 

Yes, but you are somewhere where you can actually find people who like metal. I know about five, and of those five, one listens to traditional. Three listen to it because they like harsh vocals and anti-christian lyrics. The final one listens to death metal because he is a horror movie lover. I don't have anybody to talk about it with, and even here, generally because I bitch like a girl, truthfully, I find that if I try to find stuff, I get about one reply before they swap back to someone else who they are more willing to help.

And I don't get my info from shitty magazines and such, I get it from the internet. I've tried many different sites, and although this is the best, you look at the "Metal Discussion" forum, and guess what? For every, what, 10 threads about black or death we get something with clean vocals? Shit, you would think the stuff that would generally be considered more friendly to the masses would be easier to find. I'm either living in the wrong part of the world, or else there's something wrong with all of the places that cover metal, and all the fans who use those sites.

I'd also like for someone to give me one, single, current website that covers only metal with clean vocals. Really, find me one that exists, in English. You can find Doom based websites and Stoner based websites, but if you want a site dedicated to power metal or traditional, you're pretty much fucked.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Maybe not bedroom black metal, but some over-glorified tech death or some type of black metal. Harsh vocals are king.

Why you care so much about the perceived popularity of what you like/don't like is beyond me.

If anything, a band with clean vocals is probably more likely to stand out and get some attention than your average me-too tech death or whatever it is you're complaining about. Do you have any clue how many shitty brutal death bands and whatnot get tossed by the wayside and never discussed at all?

Also, I feel like it's worth pointing out that the size of the Heavy/Power/Speed Help thread in Rec Central completely dwarfs all of the other genre Rec threads by a considerable amount. Trad metal is far from unpopular or shunned or overlooked or what-have-you.

Not only that, but what style do you think is more likely to get people to come out to shows? The average person (I don't really mean metalhead here) cannot stand harsh vocals and never will. You can't begin to guess the number of times I've talked to people at gigs like Striker's, Exciter's, Blood Ceremony's, Skull Fist's, etc, who don't know or care about metal in general and just showed up to have a good time, and eneded up enjoying hte hell out of the bands. I don't know why, Cowboy, you're so certain in your beliefs when everyone here keeps telling you that we think you're kind of wrong about things. Maybe you just need to move to a different town? Go to different sorts of gigs?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm 

I just don't get why it has to be some kind of war or competition between trad metal and extreme metal. There was plenty of overlap in riffing and guitar styles back in the day and it's better to at least give some of that stuff a chance rather than just writing it off completely.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm 

Just about every metal genre has been having a resurgence, and what I mean by that is bands playing back to the roots of the genre with less modern elements. Traditional heavy metal is included. I have noticed a big one that Failsafeman has covered on the first page with Sweden. The 80s material from Judas Priest, and Mercyful Fate are two of the most influential bands in this movement, if you want to call it one.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I just don't get why it has to be some kind of war or competition between trad metal and extreme metal. There was plenty of overlap in riffing and guitar styles back in the day and it's better to at least give some of that stuff a chance rather than just writing it off completely.

I don't intend for it to sound like that, I just don't want harsh vocals in fucking everything. I like death metal a lot, but when you put some guy growling over it I generally find it to lose what was good. If you want a gravelly singer, or someone with a low voice, or an aggresive thrash styled guy, that's cool, but endless growls and screeches loose me. Don't think I completely write off harsh vocals, because I listen to quite a bit of sludge and some of the more extreme sounding thrash stuff, but I don't grasp the concept of why the whole metal community (I am saying this from what I've seen and what I've come to understand, based solely off the internet and the one show I've been able to go to) is so enamored with harsh vocals. And don't even get me started on the fools who go around saying metal was intended to be underground the whole time...

@Abominatrix
Moving or changing the type of gigs wouldn't help. Being in Texas in the U.S. isn't exactly the best place for metal, especially out in the sticks like I am. I'm certain in my beliefs because I have yet to see different, and I doubt that will change. If your average idiot on the street says metal is "all screaming", its obvious that harsh vocals have made a pretty fucking big impact.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Yes, but you are somewhere where you can actually find people who like metal. I know about five, and of those five, one listens to traditional. Three listen to it because they like harsh vocals and anti-christian lyrics. The final one listens to death metal because he is a horror movie lover. I don't have anybody to talk about it with, and even here, generally because I bitch like a girl, truthfully, I find that if I try to find stuff, I get about one reply before they swap back to someone else who they are more willing to help.

And I don't get my info from shitty magazines and such, I get it from the internet. I've tried many different sites, and although this is the best, you look at the "Metal Discussion" forum, and guess what? For every, what, 10 threads about black or death we get something with clean vocals? Shit, you would think the stuff that would generally be considered more friendly to the masses would be easier to find. I'm either living in the wrong part of the world, or else there's something wrong with all of the places that cover metal, and all the fans who use those sites.

I'd also like for someone to give me one, single, current website that covers only metal with clean vocals. Really, find me one that exists, in English. You can find Doom based websites and Stoner based websites, but if you want a site dedicated to power metal or traditional, you're pretty much fucked.

Maybe I am in a "better" area than you but I don't actually know/talk to any local metalheads. I meet up with some of my friends from here on M-A every year at Deathfest but otherwise all of my metal-related socializing is pretty much restricted to the internet. I go to shows and stuff, but I'm mainly there to enjoy the music so I don't really do much socializing.

People on this forum who are into heavy/power/speed metal don't tend to start a lot of topics in metal discussion because the H/P/S thread in Rec Central is so lively, so if they want to talk about some band they just bring it up there instead of starting a thread about it. Also, part of your problem is that the vast majority of metalheads like a pretty broad swathe of styles even if they focus on one or two more than others. I don't know of a single person who likes black or death metal who's completely averse to h/p/s/trad doom stuff. It's not like if you see a bunch of black/death fans talking about extreme metal they're going to laugh in your face if you start a thread about Running Wild. So, if you're so set to hang out with/talk to people who share your absolute hatred of harsh vocals to the point where they don't want anything to do with them, you're probably out of luck.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:44 pm 

About websites dedicated to traditional metal exclusively, I don't know and frankly can't be arsed to look right now, but I believe they must exist. My rationale for this is that in the mid/late 90s, when I was first becoming interested in metal, I found such sites. Back then, not only was there no Metal-Archives or anything similar, but trad/power/whatever metal was definitely a lot less popular than it is now. Therefore, it stands to reason there would be even more such sites around today than existed back then. So, keep searching, I guess, if you really need something that fits your tastes so snugly.
Of the wind in the dark.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:53 pm 

Trust me, I've looked. I've found some stuff from the 90's that hasn't been updated since then, and that's about it. Heart of Metal is the best thing I've found, and its pretty shit. Their forums are full of pissed off old men too.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm 

haha, well I sympathise; one of the few things worse than "pissed off old men" venting is bitter young guys who talk like pissy old men.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm 

I think I sound more like a girl, honestly.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:37 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:

:lol: Ok then. perhaps, like all the people in those absurd sex comedies, you just need to relax and not worry about it so much.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

:lol: Ok then. perhaps, like all the people in those absurd sex comedies, you just need to relax and not worry about it so much.

I just wish I could find a good blog or something. Baby needs his binkie.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I saw Accept at a nearly packed venue not long after seeing Immolation play to like 16 or 17 people. Stop reading shitty mainstream metal magazines and get involved with people (on the internet, if you have to) who are into the same stuff you are. Crying about how you hate harsh vocals isn't going to do anything to help the situation and I'm sure you'll find that the vast majority of people who prefer more extreme styles are perfectly open to quality trad metal. It's not some maligned, dying style; it's you turning your personal anecdotes into this broad representation of metaldom that's not at all an accurate picture of the real state of things.

Accept write good songs and Immolation don't.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:37 pm 

Iamnbatman writes good posts and Exigence don't.

Come on, dude!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 pm 

Another argument on that is that Accept is a longstanding band that will pull audiences. If you listen to metal, you've probably heard of them. Immolation? You need to be quite a bit further in, and then you have to like harsh vocals.

I still imagine that there's quite a bit of extreme stuff that will pull more people though. I imagine Satyricon or Amon Amarth could pull a much better crowd than Skull Fist or Cauldron could.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
I'm not too happy about all those supposed "waves" going on nowadays. New wave of thrash, new wave of trad, whatever. There will always be tendencies in all genres, but more often than not it hardly qualifies as an actual wave.
Even so Ranger and Speedtrap from Finland, although probably more closely related to speed metal, more or less fit the bill too.

Exigence wrote:
Wolf is so much better than most of those bands.

Shit like Enforcer, Steelwing, Katana, Holy Grail, White Wizzard, Fueled by Fire, Huntress, Lords of the Trident, Striker, Skull Fist, Bloodbound, Cauldron and I guess Ghost.....none of them have a great songs, they're just playing in a niche style that was mostly avoided in the 90s and 2000s as power metal and extreme metal evolved.

Wolf has awesome songs, however. The rest are like the shitty second comings of Tygers of Pan Tang.

That's a really stupid post, dude. People have different opinions, and Enforcer isn't half bad.

No, actually...everything I said stands true. All of those listed bands are awful. Enforcer sucks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:53 pm 

Immolation are about as widely regarded in death metal circles as Accept are in heavy metal circles. I think you're just grasping at straws at this point.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Immolation are about as widely regarded in death metal circles as Accept are in heavy metal circles. I think you're just grasping at straws at this point.

But how long have Immolation been around? How big are they? Are they in league or mentioned alongside names like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest commonly? Not really. That's not a comparison that can really work here. Accept is a longstanding band that has achieved worldwide fame and renown over the years. The stuff I'm talking about and hoping to see succeed are bands that aspire to follow the musical footsteps of bands like Accept and the many other earlier metal bands. They want to recapture an older sound that they love, and seems to have been abandoned. Something that was once big, noticed, and well loved. It was at a time when metal was actually cool, and was something you might actually convince a girl to listen to with you.

Immolation is a purposefully underground, extreme band that, with a pretty strong underground following. An underground following that, in metal, has become the majority of metalheads. NWOTHM is trying to bring back something that most metalheads have moved past, and everybody else forgot after it passed its time in the limelight.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:13 pm 

Dude, what in the fuck are you even saying? How is Immolation's following the "majority of metalheads" when they're playing shows to 17 people and Accept are playing shows to hundreds? At Accept, I saw *one guy* who was like this sad old guy with a mullet and torn white jeans and a tank top who walked into the show straight from 1986. Everyone else there was clearly a metalhead and part of the vibrant, wider metaldom. Loads of young people. Man, you should've seen the crowd during In Solitude's set at Deathfest a few years ago.

I honestly am starting to get the impression that you like talking about being this clean-vocal-loving victim of a harsh-vocals-obsessed metaldom that's out to get you more than you enjoy actually talking about metal bands that you like.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:30 pm 

Cowboy, everyone can see the inherent contradictions in your own statements, except you. I'm sure you're a decent fellow, so I'm going to just suggest, rather than quoting some of your assertions back to back for direct comparison's sake, that you think about the stuff you've said in this thread and elsewhere and follow your own advice. It seems that half the time you come off as someone with a persecution complex and elwhewhere like an apologetically self-depracating, self-aware individual, but it's a shame you can't really integrate those facets of yourself. So, a couple of questions for context:
1. How old are you?
2. Do you often attend metal gigs either in your area or out of town?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:34 pm 

I feel that Doomed Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty isolated in his metal reflections. Maybe he doesn't want to explore the scene or simply doesn't know much about it except for some Deicide fans who dislike power metal bands because their sound is "gay" from his Texas suburb. The two latest Accept shows here were almost sold out and the latest Decibel tour (Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death and Immolation) was sold out (same venue iirc). Trying to pinpoint metalheads into a particular camp is kind of presumptuous, most of my metalhead friends are fans of most genres. The thing is to find a big picture of the "metalverse" (love that cheesy, lame term!)

Concerning the so called NWOTHM, it's hard to compare the success of a band like Cauldron to the hey days of the 80s. While they're popular (they're gonna tour in Brazil soon) they'll never see the success a band like Maiden has. The scene is overtly different from the one before and what I believe is the main reason is the fact these bands are not original enough to truly place themselves somewhere really favorable and to be frank, there's no BIG trad metal bands who can really compete with the likes of Blind Guardian, Helloween...Some are getting big like In Solitude though. Writing top notch heavy metal is different than writing top notch death or black metal, it's a whole genre altogether and originality is not as important in these popular OSDM bands. These bands compared to perhaps, dunno Wintersun (OMG THEY HAVE HARSH VOCALS) seem to be too vintage or not "explorative" enough for the newer generations. It's not only the fact they have clean vocals

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:45 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:
I've tried many different sites, and although this is the best, you look at the "Metal Discussion" forum, and guess what? For every, what, 10 threads about black or death we get something with clean vocals?

People on this forum who are into heavy/power/speed metal don't tend to start a lot of topics in metal discussion because the H/P/S thread in Rec Central is so lively, so if they want to talk about some band they just bring it up there instead of starting a thread about it.

Seriously, the Heavy/Power/Speed thread in Rec Central is over 400 pages long. None of the other genre threads have managed to get even half that big.

Quote:
Moving or changing the type of gigs wouldn't help. Being in Texas in the U.S. isn't exactly the best place for metal, especially out in the sticks like I am. I'm certain in my beliefs because I have yet to see different, and I doubt that will change. If your average idiot on the street says metal is "all screaming", its obvious that harsh vocals have made a pretty fucking big impact.

Texas isn't good for metal? What? Pretty much every single band that tours at all hits Texas at one point or another.

And if you're just talking about heavy/power/speed bands, I just did an advanced search here and found 79 active bands in those genres here in Texas. Toss in doom, and you're gone up to 127.

And what the average person thinks about metal is fucking irrelevant to anything. I don't listen to music because I'm hoping to please some idiot on the street with my music taste. You also keep complaining about how there's "nobody around you to talk to about it" when that's the case for a lot of us anyway.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 am 

And yet there seems to be less of a shortage of people to talk about metal with than ever before. I'm willing to bet the ratio of females to males is higher than it has been in the past, too, so I really have no idea, cowboy....maybe you're just nostalgic for an idealised representation of what metal was.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:50 am 

Exigence wrote:

No, actually...everything I said stands true. All of those listed bands are awful. Enforcer sucks.

Why? Your post severely lacks any strong arguments. Saying they're just rehashes of older bands is kind of redundant considering this goes for 95% of all current metal bands.
Wolf hardly qualifies as NWOTHM since they've been around since 1995 anyway.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 am 

Enforcer's song Katana (from the Diamonds album) is about as good as anything in that style written in the 80's. Absolutely top tune.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:33 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
And yet there seems to be less of a shortage of people to talk about metal with than ever before. I'm willing to bet the ratio of females to males is higher than it has been in the past, too, so I really have no idea, cowboy....maybe you're just nostalgic for an idealised representation of what metal was.

I don't think you can call it nostalgia seeing as I wasn't around at that point, but I do guess you are right in saying I have an idealized view of metal. I'm a giant freak for the whole Manowar style "True Metal" bullshit.

In reference to the other questions, I'm 17 and I've only ever been to one metal show, to see Turisas. (excluding some local metalcore bands.)

AppleQueso wrote:

Seriously, the Heavy/Power/Speed thread in Rec Central is over 400 pages long. None of the other genre threads have managed to get even half that big.

Texas isn't good for metal? What? Pretty much every single band that tours at all hits Texas at one point or another.

And if you're just talking about heavy/power/speed bands, I just did an advanced search here and found 79 active bands in those genres here in Texas. Toss in doom, and you're gone up to 127.

And what the average person thinks about metal is fucking irrelevant to anything. I don't listen to music because I'm hoping to please some idiot on the street with my music taste. You also keep complaining about how there's "nobody around you to talk to about it" when that's the case for a lot of us anyway.

You've got me on the Rec thread thing I guess.

127 Active bands? That's pretty bad in comparison to some areas of say, Europe, right? I just really don't know how to compare on that level, or any level really, because as far as I've been led to believe Europe is a place full of happy ass power metal and symphonic metal with some pissed off Norwegians listening to black metal and being mad... because its kvlt.

The only real reason I care about what others think about my music tastes is that I don't make friends all that well, and I'm scared that what I'm into will push some people away, especially girls.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
The only real reason I care about what others think about my music tastes is that I don't make friends all that well, and I'm scared that what I'm into will push some people away, especially girls.

Jesus fucking Christ. Come back when you've done some growing up.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Doomed Cowboy wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ. Come back when you've done some growing up.

Yeah seriously, it's very doubtful that you don't have friends/a girlfriend because you listen to whatever the hell it is you listen to. Thanks for the laugh though.

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I didn't mention Striker because they're from Alberta, but wow did they ever put on a great show a couple of months back...

This. Very good live band. Their new album is solid too, though a bit too cheesy at times IMO.
I feel Evil Survives also deserve a mention.

For whatever reason, this "scene" / "wave" or whatever it is seems to be most popular in Sweden and South America. Skull Fist for example seem to be huge in certain parts of Europe and a lot of South America...

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:22 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Enforcer's song Katana (from the Diamonds album) is about as good as anything in that style written in the 80's. Absolutely top tune.

The song is great but the chorus is a bit on the basic side... I'm not the biggest fan of choruses where you sing the title and then adds something, repeatedly.
This is of course an easy way to create a chorus and I have done it too, but you don't need more than one or two like that on an album. I felt the Diamonds album had a bit too much of that (plus same chords in most choruses too) but I can live with that, great album.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

I thought this topic was about the New Wave of Turkish Heavy Metal. But the New Wave of Tatar Heavy Metal could be very interesting too.

Seriously though, I can't see any logic calling anything "New Wave" if it has purely traditional retro elements. The NWOBHM had older elements mixed with new.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:10 pm 

I'm one of those people who doesn't really enjoy speaking ill of bands from here even if I don't really enjoy them, because you know, sometimes the guys are cool, I like the opportunity to play gigs with them, etc. But the fact that Skull Fist are probably the biggest export from my city in this scene is...well, a wee bit unfortunate. Really not a fan of their music, their presentation, etc.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Really not a fan of their music, their presentation, etc.

... their name.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:21 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Really not a fan of their music, their presentation, etc.

... their name.

Are you saying you don't like their name?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm 

That is indeed what I'm saying. It's not terribly bad... just kinda bland and uninteresting. Their logo is also shitty.

For Canadian heavy/speed metal I'd much rather listen to Iron Dogs... which isn't a terribly exciting name either haha.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm 

Iron Dogs don't want to play gigs :( Apparently they think their musicianship is too bad. This never stopped Venom!

Toronto has a cool scene but I agree with Abom that Skull Fist is overrated. Phantom, Axxion, Call of the Wild, Midnight Malice, good bands albeit a bit too similar with each others.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next