Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 am 

There is only a minimum if you have set it up as a pre-order as in some conjunction with a physical release. Then you can't set it any lower than .50. if you are just putting it out digitally you can put down whatever price you want. Or put it down as 'name your own price'

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:28 am 

Yeah, just tried it. Charging 20 cents per track and €1 for the whole album, should be reasonable enough. It's for my 2006 album, I don't want to put the price too low because I put a considerable amount of work and time into it, but I don't want to charge more either because the end result is kind of crappy due to various factors such as general ignorance of mixing, using computer distortion because I had no pedal at the time, lack of instrumental skill and the fact that it is black metal. :lol:

Gonna link it on the promotional forum as soon as the uploads are done, which apparently takes forever on that site.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 am 

Sounds fair enough. I set all my digital shit as .50 with the option to pay more. some people amazingly will pay more cause I guess they think it's worth it. That makes me feel good even though it seems that bandcamp takes most of that. But it's nice.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 am 

I put a lot of my stuff for $1/album, with the option to pay more. Someone paid $10 for my Licrest album, which surprised me. I guess he really liked it.

Finally got my neck in the mail for that pine SG I'm building, so I glued it in place and installed the tuning machines. Today after work I'll try to route for the pickup and electronics and install the bridge. I'm hoping to have it finished by this weekend. I do think I should take the time to polish up the clear coat on the body and make it look nice, but part of me just wants to slap it together asap and play it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 am 

Posted here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=100994

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am 

I put all my stuff on bandcamp for free, sometimes you get the odd couple of pounds rolling in, but then one time someone gave me £20 for the Nest of Vipers EP. Which was nice.

Played a live session on BBC radio last night with the jazz band, which was pretty awesome.

Next priorities are finishing up writing a set with the blackthrash band, write another song with the black metal band, write a song and decide on a cover for the folk metal band's EP, finish writing the last track for the post-metal band's album, and then get recording. So I've got a decent amount to be getting on with.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm 

Learning a new song from my vocalist and for some reason I'm having the hardest time nailing the feel of this stupidly simple riff. Fuck it, time to put down the guitar and hit it tomorrow.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

Been in the mood for some disgusting bass, vocals and drums only stuff. Tuned to B. Will be looking for a drummer to contribute.

Thinking about buying a Big Muff.

Also, I've noticed a tiny neck pocket crack in my new Schecter. I've read that this is quite common with many bolt-ons (a first for me, however) and that it's almost always just in the finish and not in the wood. Usually happens during shipping if it's had some rough bumps and knocks. Part of me wants to keep it as a sort of "fuck you!" to my OCD, and the other part wants to send it back but I've already discarded the box it was shipped in. I've been offered a £20 refund if I choose to keep it, though.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Last edited by Foulchrist on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hit me up. I tried to do something like Suffering Bastard with a bassist here... which was his idea originally. he was lazy.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 pm 

Big Muffs rule. Played my Ibanez through my friends Musicman with a Little Big Muff and a Bass Big Muff. One of the gnarliest tones I've been able to produce.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm 

Well I had plans for my limited time after work today but it's raining. So I guess I won't be finishing my guitar. Maybe I can write some music. We'll see.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm 

Well finally was able to play today. I did this drum track for the project ReAnimator, Did a Vomitwolves track.. I actually got a blister on my thumb since I hadn't played drums in like a week. Been a long long time since I had one of them.

Also tested out my Ampeg VH140 and Sunn concert Bass today. They both work. yay I'll mess with settings at some later date.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm 

Finally finished that nice long black metal track I've been working on lately. It's mostly a slower haunting track, with a nice fast few minutes in the middle, and more importantly it clocks in at just over 8 minutes, which is what I wanted. I just need to write lyrics now. I may have enough for a full album actually. Hopefully not, because then I have to start thinking of album art, and I have no fucking clue what I'm going to do for some black metal art. I guess I could just take some black and white pictures of a forest like everyone else.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

Now I'm gonna try to redo a drone track I wrote/recorded the other day, but my guitar was slightly out of tune so it sounds like caca.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Been in the mood for some disgusting bass, vocals and drums only stuff. Tuned to B. Will be looking for a drummer to contribute.

You near Glasgow at all? I'd be up for jamming something horrible like that.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:07 pm 

Nope, Aberdeenshire.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm 

Ah, that's too bad. I could most probably record some drums for you though.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:45 pm 

Wrote a new riff for my death/thrash EP (band's name is Soulrape), and like most of the riffs I have written for it so far it is physically exhausting to play. Either I become a quitter and go back to playing crappy punk-infused black metal or I really need to work on my stamina. :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 pm 

Recorded vocal tracks for 8 Uzumaki tracks. now I can start mixing down the album for release.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 pm 

Adjusted the bridge and the action on my little Ibanez electric and I've finally realized just how far I've come playing-wise. Ripping through Bathory's A Fine Day to Die today after the last few years of being stuck in a rut is awesome! Sure guitar was kinda fun before, but now my technique has improved and jamming with my one buddy on Monday has renewed my enthusiasm for the instrument. Playing is so fucking satisfying, and now I should finally learn some solos :-D

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 pm 

Finally got a chance to work on my SG. I should be able to finish it and try it out tonight. I'm about to start wiring it, then it'll be time to string it up. Yaayyyyy for cheap leftover parts home depot guitars!

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm 

Wish I could build my own instruments. Maybe one day!

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Adjusted the bridge and the action on my little Ibanez electric and I've finally realized just how far I've come playing-wise.

I remember first learning what "action" even was and immediately lowering mine right the fuck down. The change it made. :o

Shaolin, Awblaster - cheers for the offer guys! Will wait until I've got some stuff down before I make any plans, though.

hots_towel wrote:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm 

Please excuse the shitty picture, but here 'tis, in all it's cheap glory. For the record, I built this for less than $100.

gibson scale mahogany neck (from china, thanks eBay!)
ESP "black chrome" tuners
Ibanez V5 pickup bolted right to body (I put a pickup ring on there to hide my sloppy routing job)
generic bridge, at least it's heavy
birdseye pine body from home depot lumber

Spoiler: show

Sounds just fine so far, I just have to spend plenty of time getting the action and the intonation set up, and I have to work on the nut quite a bit. I'll probably shave down the neck a good bit too, both to help the balance and because it's cheap and pretty chunky. But this is my new doom guitar. Maybe one day I can find a knob that fits that odd sized fucking volume pot I used.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 pm 

I like how it looks, would look nice with a light blue tint or something like that but good shit for $100

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm 

cool deal Foulchrist.

infinite, like I said on facebook, looks cool that wood makes it look like snake skin.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 pm 

^ Paint it dark green.

hots_towel wrote:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm 

If I did anything I'd stain it transluscent black, but I'm just leaving it with a clear on it. I may make a carved top flying V out of the same wood and stain the black in the future, for my next project.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:48 am 

I jammed more with my bud today, this time bringing my cheap Ibanez and playing through a Metal Muff running through to my little Ampeg stack. It was quite productive actually, we've gotten about half of a song down and tons of others riffs floating around. We're gonna start looking around for a drummer and get some more stuff together. So far our stuff sounds like some pretty melodic thrash was strong black metal overtones, and I'll be happy to see where this goes!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 am 

Still can't come up with a name for my new project. It's frustrating. But I guess since I haven't even started recording anything yet there's still time to come up with something.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:10 pm 

Started jamming some riffs/song ideas with my roommate last night. Stuff kinda reminded me of Arghoslent in some ways; long-phrased thrashy riffs with a certain melodic swagger. Going to jam some more tonight, hopefully it's just as productive and fun. I also started writing for my grindcore project. Taking the Parlamentarisk Sodomi approach to this: steadily coming up with riffs and just trying to play them as fast as I can before my wrist gives out, which has also been a very fun endeavor. I have access to a Tascam Mk 414 (or something) recorder now, and once we figure out how to work this thing properly I'll be able to actually record some shit again. I have tough luck when it comes down to start recording stuff...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm 

Had a long day, didn't get home until 7pm and I'm dead tired. That being said I think I'm going to try to file the nut of my new SG down so the action isn't so damn high down the neck. Then who knows, I may even work on some music.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm 

Well, didn't really work on much music. I think I'm going to put off my upcoming black metal album a bit. I'm just not in a black metal mood lately, I'm still more into doom, so I'm going to work on some more doom songs. I've got a good bit written for my next doom album already, so I may start finishing up some songs tomorrow, redoing the guitar tracks or something. Who knows. I have too much god damn music to work on. I may just do something completely different tomorrow and write an acoustic song. Well maybe not that since I don't own an acoustic, but you get my point.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:08 pm 

I've probably found the artist who will do the album art for my project with Juicebitch, Necroticism and RageW, Halberd. He did the awesome cover for Necrowretch's debut! Still some details to work out but it's probably gonna happen!

Spoiler: show

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:45 pm 

Oh the same one that did the artwork for the Veins? nice.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:31 am 

Wow, very nice!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:50 am 

Am thinking of purchasing a new guitar but this would be quite a luxurious expenditure on my part because I can't really afford one. Yet I made the mistake of getting a decent guitar(great bargain) which is pretty nice but still not great, an Ibanez RG with Tesla Plasma X-1 pickups. It's alright but doesn't beat my main guitar, a Schecter Omen Deluxe 006, Duncan Invaders. Now I'm trying to sell the Ibanez and get something I could use for the band, not just on the side.

Anyone have any suggestions for something around $600+ bucks and a fixed bridge? I was looking at the Dean VMNT Dave Mustaine signaure because many of them have beautiful graphics, but it's a tad pricey and the pickups don't really agree with me(I could swap them out, but it's one of the reasons for the hefty price tag and it would seem like a waste.)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 am 

I do like Deans. I personally like their older models with the stock pickups and they aren't fucking stupid expensive either.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 am 

To be honest I can totally see the Dean VMNT costing about a thousand bucks retail even without it being a signature model, given the hardware and graphics that come with it. Perhaps I should look for some eBay secondhands...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:46 am 

that's the best bet. I rarely buy instruments brand new. I think I've only bought 4 brand new in my lifetime. Everything else has been used.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 am 

Sell me something! Any fixed bridge guitars you aren't using no mo?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 185  Next