Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:38 pm 

It's a terrible review, 40% for someone who doesn't complain about the songs and the overall performance is just a wrong score. Anyway, the score is almost meaningless here, especially since some time that the 'blabbermouth' system got a bit into MA by some regular reviewers (100-0% reviews).

As a personal impression, I've always felt Conorfynes's reviews have some factually wrong info on them and I mostly disagree with them, no matter if it's a positive or a negative review. I might be even agree with his score but for totally different reasons.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:43 pm 

I can only describe his modus operandi as completely clueless musings.

He also complained of Vincent's lack of passion (in his vocal performance). He must've reviewed it based on a couple of youtube videos or something. Vincent is a bloody wreck during Lost Control. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaAx_WVY7iM

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm 

That's what happens when your reviews are backed up only by what you can find on Wikipedia and YouTube.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I recently dug up Insania's "World of Ice" and I'm listening to it for the first time in years. Thought about reviewing it, went to see if there were any reviews, and OSS nailed it nine years ago.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... arpshooter

Covers the album pretty much perfectly.

He was pretty good at that.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:03 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
droneriot wrote:
So, is bitterman older than 19? Place your bets now!

I'd guess early 40s. You know how older users tend to be as bad, if not worse, than teenagers?

Hey, hey, hey. I resemble that remark (though I can't say some truth doesn't flake off of it like dandruff), and just in case you were wondering, I can't say I agree with bitterman. The '90s saw metal flesh out, expand, encompass, accept, investigate, experiment, and mutate more than I believe any other decade.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
This review of Anathema's DVD A Moment In Time kind of pissess me off.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... ConorFynes

ConorFynes calls himself an Anathema fan, and calls Lee Douglas a guest vocalist, and complains that the camera focuses excessively on the vocalist and not sufficiently on the rhythm guitarist (they're the same fucking person, you genius). Alright, Douglas wasn't as prominently a member of the band at the time, but she was not a fucking guest vocalist. :durr:

Actually I remember running into this one a while ago and I wanted to post about it but then forgot. Yeah, the review is short, weird, and these two are seriously bad factual errors.

(Don't want to argue about opinions since I'm oversensitive about Anathema. :P)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:49 am 

I might review the DVD since I own it, and request the removal of that review based on factual inaccuracy and redundance.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:45 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
factual inaccuracy.

The one in particular that grinds my gears his Lykathea Aflame review.

Quote:
Although the incredibly low vocals of Radim Matìjka plant Lykathea Aflame firmly within that particular school of death metal....

:grr: This motherfucker can't look at the lineup tab RIGHT NEXT to the review tab?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

Both of those reviews have been removed for factual inaccuracy. But on the good side of reviewing:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... uid_Braino

"I'm not sure what it is about Secret Passion, but I've never been able to finish the whole shebang in one go without feeling nauseous. I don't mean this in any metaphorical sense. I actually feel physically queasy by about the halfway mark every time I try to digest this release. To be honest, it doesn't necessarily taste like shit at all, but it's akin to the time I woofed down an Outback Steakhouse cheeseburger with all the dressings, in which, thanks to all the condiments, I was halfway finished eating it before I realized that the damn patty wasn't even remotely cooked. I later spent that night on the shitter regretting life in general. I also regret the number of times I gave this record a chance to change my perceptions. It's got lots of dressings and embellishments, but this collection of tracks feels undercooked, especially towards the middle."

That's great, and it sums up the review perfectly.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:45 pm 

The more I read of Liquid_Braino, the more I realize how he's really cementing himself as one of my underrated favorites.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:50 pm 

He's certainly witty, which makes his points come across quite well. People often skim through reviews without concentrating overmuch on every sentence and point, so being able to stress certain impressions that music can give is an important ability. A review, at best, is more than a mere analysis or commentary, but more a medium that convey's the reviewer's impressions of the music to the reader.

I enjoyed the tangent about accordions. :lol: The best passage is this, though:
Quote:
After those three, the predictable chord changes, competent yet simplistic guitar solos and banal choruses bog everything down, like trudging through clove-scented slush until "Suicide" kicks in with its faster pace and Helena completely losing her wig. Her wacko harpy voice is only utilized here, which is a shame since its sheer weirdness overcomes the obnoxious piercing production, resulting in one of the more entertaining tracks.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

He's one of my favorites at the moment. His reviews are in-depth and often cripplingly hilarious. His Amaranthe review for The Nexus is a goldmine of humor.

Obligatory Last FM Link

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm 

Agreed, that review is full of classic lines. It's amusing how he is unable to come to term with his enjoying the album somewhat, despite realising what utter garbage it is.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 pm 

I talked to Conor and he agrees that many of his reviews back then are really bad so I'll nuke this one. I think he improved a lot recently, I like this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... ConorFynes

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I talked to Conor and he agrees that many of his reviews back then are really bad so I'll nuke this one. I think he improved a lot recently, I like this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... ConorFynes

I disagree, that review can't seem to get past the subject matter and actually describe the music. The pattern of the writing is not only ill-fitted to describing the album and the music, but irritating to read, going between fragments of descriptions that he deems insufficient to describe it and repeatedly stating the subject matter. There is one overview of a track that seems forced, before returning to the preoccupation with the subject. The poor quality of the writing is compounded by the repetition on the same points with little elaboration, which comes across as simply being unable to get past the apology state of enjoying the contents of the album. This review neither describes the music sufficiently nor maintains my interest on the subject matter.

Gunther's review of the album is very good though. He does an excellent job of capturing both the spirit of the music as well as explaining how the subject matter is implemented as a theme and an influence of the sound. This is a review that shows both sufficiently pondered thoughts and a coherent understanding that is neatly presented to the reader.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I disagree, that review can't seem to get past the subject matter and actually describe the music. The pattern of the writing is not only ill-fitted to describing the album and the music, but irritating to read, going between fragments of descriptions that he deems insufficient to describe it and repeatedly stating the subject matter. There is one overview of a track that seems forced, before returning to the preoccupation with the subject. The poor quality of the writing is compounded by the repetition on the same points with little elaboration, which comes across as simply being unable to get past the apology state of enjoying the contents of the album. This review neither describes the music sufficiently nor maintains my interest on the subject matter.

I have to agree with Zodi. No doubt I can claim that his work now is better than the 2010-2011 fodder, but that particular review you brought to the convo isn't a good example. Three paragraphs of mainly talking about the topic of the Hololcaust and such but way little about the music. I was no closer to figuring out how that album sounded like without looking at other reviews to clue me in. The writing itself is fine, but as a review of the album it totally lost focus about what it should be describing for this site's purpose.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm 

Wow, thanks Zodi, appreciate it.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 am 

No doubt Gunther's review of the album is miles better but I can't see how you could disagree with the simple fact that Conor improved since his early days (that was my point)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... _submarine

I know she liked my So Long Suckers review, I guess it was for time for her to write one for her classic doom album! Great review.

mad_submarine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cathedral/Forest_of_Equilibrium/2932/mad_submarine

I know she liked my So Long Suckers review, I guess it was for time for her to write one for her classic doom album! Great review.

Thanks, Toni :)

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

A 0% for the new Satyricon album? really? Just seems like the reviewer has some personal feud against Satyr. I've actually been enjoying the album from the few spins I've given it. Better than the Age of Nero, anyway.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm 

It's bitterman, so a 0% - or anything negative - is to be expected.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:08 pm 

Quote:
Just seems like the reviewer has some personal feud against Satyr.

Bitterman is one of "those" people who has some personal feud against anything that was released after 1993, and he proudly admits as much.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:04 pm 

This bitterman guy is pathetic. I honestly don't see how someone who clearly states a pathetic, idiotic bias right in his profile description would ever be allowed to review anything on this board. For a guy who thinks Metal died in 1993, he reviews a lot of new stuff, seemingly for the only purpose of bashing it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:14 pm 

Yeah, not to mention his reviews themselves are absolutely retarded. He basically gives Satyricon 0% because it sounds like a White Stripes album... leading me to wonder if he even bothered listening to it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:14 am 

Anyone else notice that the only negative reviews on the third Altar of Plagues album are from recognized forumgoers? Every other review of that album is above 80%, and they're all from people who pretty much have never been on the boards. I don't know if it means anything, but it's just something that caught my eye.

Oh, and that bitterman dude is indeed a raging dipshit. I'm not the biggest fan of the new Satyricon album myself (if I were to review it I'd give it somewhere between 30% and 50%), but this guy is so full of crap that it's astounding. From looking at his review scores, it appears to me that he's the kind of person whose purpose in life is to hate everything unconditionally for almost no good reason.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 am 

Some more people need to get in there and give it some low scores, that album having an over 75% average is a blight on the site.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:35 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Some more people need to get in there and give it some low scores, that album having an over 75% average is a blight on the site.

I second that notion. There is, however, the age-old problem of having to listen to that garbage in order to review it.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 am 

Oddly enough, of the guys who have more than a review or three there, I tend to line up with them pretty reasonably, even ConnorFynes never annoys me much since his reviewing is mostly outside my genre preferences.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:17 am 

Razakel wrote:
because it sounds like a White Stripes album...

AND a Bob Seger album, apparently. Who knew Bob Seger and the White Stripes sounded the same.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 am 

I'm curious to see what < 1994 albums Bitterman starts writing 100% reviews for, if that ever happens... Anyway thanks for reminding me to check out the new Satyricon!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
This bitterman guy is pathetic. I honestly don't see how someone who clearly states a pathetic, idiotic bias right in his profile description would ever be allowed to review anything on this board. For a guy who thinks Metal died in 1993, he reviews a lot of new stuff, seemingly for the only purpose of bashing it.

I don't get it. I don't mind when a prolific reviewer bashes an album from time to time - assuming he reviews plenty of different stuff that he might like it or not - but when a reviewer does nothing BUT bash albums, seems to be pretty clear that he's not up to contribute in any constructive/useful way to MA, he only feeds his 'kvlt ego' by writing negative reviews about everything. I wonder, why are guys like that allowed to put his reviews here? Again, I don't care if someone doesn't like x album or band, but I don't see the purpose of getting reviews done by the sole reason of bashing them from a reviewer who clearly is not up to review things he also find decent/good. To only 'contribute' with negative reviews is pretty useless IMO, especially when most of his reviews are badly written and in some cases shows a clear lack of listening. At least Noctir does plenty of positive reviews from stuff he likes, even if I'm not agree with him I can see that he's doing something way more useful showing both the good and bad stuff from his POV.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm 

I think I've said this before - if a person can't find metal albums that he enjoys from bands on this site, what the fuck is he doing here in the first place?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:32 pm 

I don't think it's any worse than a Grimdoom or an Ozzeh polluting the site with a few million 100%-ers. So yeah, pretty annoying, but it all balances out. Kinda.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

I don't think I can really agree with that, someone could exclusively review negative stuff because they like writing from that approach or know that's where they're most skilled at/most comfortable. And each review needs to be judged seperately in the long run, so the fact they only stick to a narrow score range can't be used to judge any particular review, if the review is competently written and justifies its scores, the fact the author is a grumpy bum is irrelevant. Obviously the competent/justified issue is the one where bitterman struggles, but that's not the argument put forward.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:12 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
I think I've said this before - if a person can't find metal albums that he enjoys from bands on this site, what the fuck is he doing here in the first place?

Probably writing reviews that tear apart various albums and then looking over the review discussion thread for the impending shit storm. :lol:

For real though, I haven't read one of his reviews since the Colored Sands one. He's either sixteen or from ANUS.

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I second that notion. There is, however, the age-old problem of having to listen to that garbage in order to review it.

I'll have one ready soon enough. God do I hate the album.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I don't think I can really agree with that, someone could exclusively review negative stuff because they like writing from that approach or know that's where they're most skilled at/most comfortable. And each review needs to be judged seperately in the long run, so the fact they only stick to a narrow score range can't be used to judge any particular review, if the review is competently written and justifies its scores, the fact the author is a grumpy bum is irrelevant. Obviously the competent/justified issue is the one where bitterman struggles, but that's not the argument put forward.

I hear where you are coming from. Negative reviews are not the problem really, and he doesn't have to like the albums he is reviewing. I review albums I don't like or find value in and score and judge accordingly.

The idea of a negative reviewer, rolling around and grilling sacred cows in a clever, informed way would be fantastic, and make for great reading and lots of discussion.

bitterman is no such reviewer. He's a troll, probably 15 years old and with 6 TB of pirated old skull metal on his hard-drive

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:03 pm 

A lot of people say they don't care about negative reviews, but I don't know about that. I think most people who say that are just over sensitive and hate when people say bad things about bands they like.

With that said, yeah, this bitterman guy isn't a good reviewer at all really.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 pm 

God damn it I wish there were more negative reviews on the site. I love bitterman in theory but the problem that I have (and everyone else seems to have) with him is that it's more-or-less just banal trashing; he's not actually making any new or interesting points about why in particular the album in question is bad, and that's what I wish I could see in more reviews. I wanna see some arguments that actually make me think and reconsider my opinion of the album in question, y'know? There's plenty of reviewers that are good at doing that on the positive side of things, but none really represent the other side, and I think to really get what an album's all about with reviews, possible faults and shortcomings need to be brought in to light so they can be dissected and understood. Sure, bitterman's not the best reviewer we've had, but I only hope he perseveres and hones his craft, because right now he's the only one fighting the good fight.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 520  Next