Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:48 pm 

Unfortunately until they get writers who aren't in a coma, the new eps still won't be very good.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:09 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
So it got better after that stupid fucking episode where Kiera finds her deadbeat mother and starts preaching to her about why abortion is evil and wrong, I'm guessing? Cuz' that's where I dropped it.

I haven't watched the show, but is that an expression of the creators' views, or just the character's?? Because I really don't think I want to bother with a show if they're going to preach crap to me through their characters.

The reason she tries to convince her not to have an abortion is because the baby is HER. lol.

This show is full of moral greyness, they certainly aren't going to throw something as black and white as "abortion is evil!" in there.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:22 pm 

The Twelfth Doctor is Peter Capaldi from The Thick of It.

Good choice. I like that they're going back to an older actor playing the part too. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes after the Christmas special.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

Aurone wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind that guy from Pacific Rim being a Doctor, the black guy who does the "Canceling the Apocalypse" speech play the doctor....here's hoping for the 13th in a few years.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim, but I assume you're talking about Idris Elba. I've only seen him in The Wire, but I realized had some serious acting talent when I learned he was British, especially compared to the other characters who were black guys playing as themselves. He could play a complex character well, but now I'm trying to imagine him being funny/quirky like the Doctor. Heh.

He expressed interest in being a new James Bond which would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, there's the whole race/skin color issue that probably won't sit well with some people; if people were mad because Daniel Craig doesn't look Mediterranean, imagine the outrage at Idris Elba.

Last edited by Adriankat on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:27 pm 

The cigarette smoking man from X-Files is playing an important character in season 2 of Continuum! :D

Also, the "detective duo" has been broken up; Keira has gone "lone wolf." Thank god, hopefully that means less police procedural bullshit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:32 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
He expressed interest in being a new James Bond which would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, there's the whole race/skin color issue that probably won't sit well with some people; if people were mad because Daniel Craig doesn't look Mediterranean, imagine the outrage at Idris Elba.

If this were some lesser-known character that might be a problem, but for crying out loud, it's James Bond. Everyone knows what he's supposed to look like. Casting a black guy for a few movies isn't going to confuse anyone, it would just be an interesting departure after 5000 movies with Bond as a white guy. I wouldn't mind seeing a woman play Bond either.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:55 pm 

After Lucy Liu playing doctor Watson, everything is possible. I would personally love Elba as Bond, it would be awesome.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The Twelfth Doctor is Peter Capaldi from The Thick of It.

Good choice. I like that they're going back to an older actor playing the part too. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes after the Christmas special.

Don't watch the new series, but he's probably the first new Doctor since McCoy I've looked at and not thought "that's not a Timelord". Based solely on appearance, I like him.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 pm 

Just watched the first episode of Continuum. It seemed like weak corporate America handjobbing so I probably won't be continuing with it, but even if it develops into something more than said handjobbing, it's still a tepidly executed quasi-Syfy Channel show that involves time-traveling, so it meets several other criteria for termination as well. I love easy decisions :)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just watched the first episode of Continuum. It seemed like weak corporate America handjobbing so I probably won't be continuing with it, but even if it develops into something more than said handjobbing, it's still a tepidly executed quasi-Syfy Channel show that involves time-traveling, so it meets several other criteria for termination as well. I love easy decisions :)

Lol no. For one thing it's a Canadian show, for another thing the whole issue of corporatism is a massive grey area in this show. It's anything but "corporate America handjobbing."

I won't say it's HBO quality TV, but considering the dearth of good scifi lately, it's more than passable and definitely better than a lot of its contemporary scifi (and SyFy) shows.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:02 pm 

Eh, I know it'll probably turn into "wait, the terrorists were right all along!" or something of that sort, but the acting/directing seems so sterile and unconvincing that even if the writing gets more interesting it's hard to see myself spending more time on it. :grumble: Maybe I'll give it another shot some other time but right now it's just not drawing me in. Time-traveling is corny and I'm not really buying any of the characters.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:14 pm 

I don't think it's gonna go all the way in that direction either. The terrorists are undoubtedly, for the most part, assholes. I think the "revelation" will be somewhere in the middle. We'll see.

It does get better, but no, it doesn't have the best writing or acting on TV. Better than Defiance though! :lol:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am 

I don't remember anyone here ever mentioning much about The Newsroom, but I thought I'd give the first season a shot. Don't really know much about it at all, but if it's anything like a contemporary take on Network, I'd be down with that. We shall see.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:46 am 

Oh, guess I should update that I watched the first season of Copper. It started pretty slow, not bad but not exactly super memorable either. I also thought it was sliiiiiightly dumb that the main character, who's an Irish-American cop in Five Points in 1864, is like this champion of contemporary (to us) attitudes on stuff like race, abortion, etc. Anyway, as the show went on the characters got fleshed out a lot more and generally the whole thing got better and better. There was even one sort of funny case they had that injected some comedy into what had previously been a pretty dark show. Looking forward to season 2.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:47 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Eh, I know it'll probably turn into "wait, the terrorists were right all along!" or something of that sort, but the acting/directing seems so sterile and unconvincing that even if the writing gets more interesting it's hard to see myself spending more time on it. :grumble: Maybe I'll give it another shot some other time but right now it's just not drawing me in. Time-traveling is corny and I'm not really buying any of the characters.

You sound like I did when I first started watching it, but it does get better. And no, there’s not a lot of time traveling involved, in fact that’s one of the premises of the show; the hopeless realization that time travel is impossible for the moment and unfortunately for Kiera, means she could very well be stuck in the present for ever. But all these things have basically been pushed to the background to make room for shifts in character and development, along with some crazy plot twists and ethical dilemmas which I can’t even discuss without ruining it for Nashil whom I think is somewhere in the early second season.

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh, guess I should update that I watched the first season of Copper. It started pretty slow, not bad but not exactly super memorable either. I also thought it was sliiiiiightly dumb that the main character, who's an Irish-American cop in Five Points in 1864, is like this champion of contemporary (to us) attitudes on stuff like race, abortion, etc..

Agree, although all that’s counterbalanced with the fact that he’s an alcoholic, a whore-monger, and a junky for good measure. :-D

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:18 pm 

I've been slowly making my way through Twin Peaks. I almost missed out on a great show after saying 'fuck this' halfway through the pilot episode a couple of years ago. (I quickly got tired of all the whinging and crying everyone does about Laura Palmer in that episode.) Fortunately, my roommate convinced me at length to give it another shot, and now I love it. Such a weird, funny, twisted show. This is making me rethink some of my old antipathy for David Lynch; I might have to give all of his stuff another shake.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:32 pm 

Man, with all of this inter-faction violence and "the monarch must be crowned" nonsense, season 2 of this show might be called Game of Domes.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 pm 

Kicking myself for not having thought of that joke first. :(

I haven't been quite as critical of Under the Dome as some of you, but I'm already doing that thing I do where I no longer even attempt to give each episode my undivided attention. I'll half-watch the show while browsing M-A, I'll take a piss or make myself a snack without bothering to pause (if I'm watching on demand).......you know, all the things I'd never do while watching the other show that Big Jim is on. Often when I do this for more than a couple episodes in a row, it ends with me quitting the show entirely. At this point I give myself only slightly better than 50% odds of finishing season 1.

And I even stuck with Revolution for its entire first season. So yes, I'm implying that for all the criticism that show gets, it's more entertaining than Under the Dome.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 pm 

So does Chester's Mill have running water or not? I feel like they haven't even really addressed that. Are people just stewing in their own grime and shitting in buckets or what? Because if they're not (and it doesn't seem like they are), why in fuck would this well be some all-important holy grail of water? They were making coffee at the diner, for god's sake. And how does a well "sap" other wells and make them useless? And how does blowing up a well make the water go back to other wells? And did all those other farmers not have wells of their own? :scratch:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 pm 

That actually sorta made sense to me. Artesian wells tap into aquifers, and if the path of least resistance for water flow favored one opening over the others, the others might very well (hehe) not have enough pressure for water to flow. Same deal with the reservoir that was fed by the same aquifer. Anyway, if they blew up the one that was flowing and essentially cut off the flow of water to the surface (the explosion would fill in the path or whatever) then the pressure would cause water to start flowing out of the other exits again.

I think making coffee is basically just a symptom of the whole town being dumb as fuck and not realizing that a literally impenetrable dome would cut off all their supplies.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:09 am 

No, bring the well back, I want them to shit in buckets...

Looking at an artesian well schematic, I can see what you mean about the physics of it, but...doesn't that mean there would have to be a really small amount of water to only be able to fill one well? If so, if the water were redistributed to the other wells, would there even be enough pressure to fill any of them? ...I dunno, it's just kind of a bit weird. And there's no way a relatively small surface explosion like that would fill in that well. It'd probably just blow the pipes off and gush the water out onto the ground. Eh, whatever, all this thinking is hurting my dome.

Stone69
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

Just watched the TV Show "American Ninja Warrior" and I could not imagine how those contestants made it through those killer obstacles! Aaarrrggghhh!

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:22 pm 

I've been watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I keep seeing this extra in the bar who looks just like Bobby Liebling. Anyone else notice this?

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 am 

Did I hear that correctly on Under the Dome - Maxine's last name is Seagrave? That's pretty metal of her!

Also,
Spoiler: show
it's appropriate, since her mother presumably drowned.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 pm 

Any Dexter fans here? I've watched every season and I expected season 8 to be a nice finale as they picked it up a bit with season 7 after the dreadful season 6. But what do they do? They ruined it again. Anyone actually like this season?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:50 pm 

This season is...meh. It was alright at first but it's been dragging a bit the past few episodes. I have no idea how they're going to suitably wrap up the entire series in just three more episodes.

As awkward as it is, I wanted a better resolution to the Dexter/Deb sexual tension. Honestly they shoulda banged or something really fucked up. More importantly, though, Hannah just isn't that good of a character and didn't really deserve to come back. This whole season has sort of felt like a holding pattern - Dexter has barely killed anyone, the brain surgeon/Vogel plot is just bland...ugh. I feel like if they had known this would be the last season before they started making it, they would've gone out with a bang. As a Dexter fan, I wanted a final season where he kills a shitload of people and has his most serious risk of being caught, or actually getting caught, or *something*.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 am 

Lazy writing killing immersion, and Dexter simply gets out of sticky situations so easily now that I barely shrug my shoulders. This is largely why there is no intensity anymore. Those are the same issues I have as well as you put in the spoiler.
Saxon, Vogel's son is a boring character, and with his background of faking his death and coming back after all these years he would have had a better alibi over Cassie's murder, and not left evidence for killing Zack so easily. The cops should have questioned him and Jamie better to begin with to see through his alibi. Cops always investigate the crap out of the boyfriend in murders. He also would have reached out to his mother differently than sending bits of brains to her and just freaking her out. Dexter was lazy with stalking Saxon and he never gets this lazy with his prey in previous seasons. He never would have messed up that easily, particularly with someone he knows is so dangerous. Just so lazy with the writing. All the attention seems to be on Hannah and none really on Dexter, and she just has nothing interesting about her anymore that it just falls flat. The theme of training Zack with the code was a little promising but that fell flat and now there is nothing exciting. Normally at this point in the season the race between Dexter and the cops is getting tighter and tighter. Now there is nothing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:24 am 

About Dexter season 8...

I just don't get it. Why would Vogel's son come back to the same town his mother is in, send her parts of peoples' brains, and then just move in with her and have tea when she invites him. I just don't understand.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 am 

Yeah, there have been several twists in the plot in this season that really, honestly feel like they just scraped together ideas from various writers who didn't really talk to one another. Like, I genuinely think that
Cassie's boyfriend was just a non-entity/dead-end that they resurrected when they ran out of ideas for what to do with the season.

Really, this whole season has been pretty lame now that I really think about it. The show in general went from being fantastic to merely enjoyable around season 3 or so, but season 8 is definitely a pretty big step down. Oh well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:43 am 

Basically. They had a neat idea in the first four episodes with

Debra going insane and trying to kill them both

...but then they quickly got rid of that and now she is basically a background character. The acting is still good enough for me to enjoy seeing the characters but the season overall is really clunky and mostly dead-weight. Lots of cliches from past Dexter seasons that aren't done as well or with as much drama.

Interestingly enough Breaking Bad is now basically doing what I wanted Dexter to do in conjunction with the previous spoiler.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 am 

Yeah, that first four episode arc was a bit better I guess, but it never really clicked with me completely. I think it's because
I just didn't feel comfortable seeing Deb in such a shitty state with Dexter not really doing that much about it. I mean, if we're really supposed to buy that Deb is like the most important person in Dexter's life, I wanted to see him have a bigger reaction to her totally turning her life upside down like that. I dunno, stalk her some, and when he finds out she's turned into a cokehead and is hanging out with that criminal guy, possibly just murder him and kidnap her to keep her "safe" or something like that. I mean, shit, the whole show is about how Dexter's supposedly this empathy-less psychopath who, over time, starts getting in touch with himself and actually develops emotions, so I wanted him to have a huge emotional reaction to the situation that just didn't happen at all. He went apeshit when Rita died, by comparison.

Also...nine out of 12 episodes into the season, and Dexter has only killed what, three people? And only one of those was a normal Dexter-style murder.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 am 

It doesn't get anymore disappointing than season 8 of Dexter in my opinion.
Every new character introduced this season has felt forced and distracting to what should matter, and that is Dexter, nobody else. Hannah's story was wrapped up in a neat little bow as far as I'm concerned. We didn't need her this season and why does she get the honours of returning and others like Lumen or Trinity's son, whose stories were cut short and had potential, ignored. They shouldn't have put Deb in a new work place and Elway is basically a throwaway character (apart from one episode where he momentarily stops being a push over). Masuka's daughter is something I'd expect in season 5 or 6, it's simply way too late in the game to start expanding on the comic relief's life, or Jamie's for that matter. The last couple of twists have felt so far fetched (even in Dexter's implausible world) and I strongly think Zac Hamilton should have been a two episode arc at most. What we needed was a clear as day villain right from the first couple of episodes, not twist after twist, and additional characters whose stories have already been told by other characters in past seasons.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 pm 

Still better than the previous three seasons...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:26 pm 

What? No way. At this point season 8 basically IS season 7, just...more. Which is dumb, because season 7 already ended and didn't need to be brought back up. Seasons 5 and 6 had more redeeming qualities, too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

Seasons 5 thru 7 weren't as intelligent as the earlier seasons, but they were furiously fun and entertaining in a popcorn action movie sort of way. Lots of fast paced thrills and what not. While they had their fair share of problems from a writing or plot standpoint, I still found myself enjoying them a lot anyway. Season 8 not so much, so far.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 pm 

I still enjoyed season 5 a fair bit. I'm surprised people dislike it so much. Season 6 was horrible, and season 7 was better but not great. This one sucks though and is perhaps becoming worse than season 6.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:19 pm 

Anyone else watch The Killing? Haven't seen the original Euro version, but this is an awesome show. Great characters, a detective story that unwinds like the classics and killer hooks packed into each episode. It's like a rocket ride. Just kinetic, and very smart too.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm 

I watched a bit of it, but honestly I thought Homicide: Life On The Street mined very similar territory years ago and to slightly greater effect. I've been meaning to check out the Danish version for some time, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

VenusianSea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Anyone else watch The Killing? Haven't seen the original Euro version, but this is an awesome show. Great characters, a detective story that unwinds like the classics and killer hooks packed into each episode. It's like a rocket ride. Just kinetic, and very smart too.

I watched the first season, and while I really enjoyed the first half, the red herrings in every episode got old quickly and then it all became pretty absurd. I couldn't believe they would stretch that over two seasons, and didn't bother with the second one. What I read about it in Wiki was pretty hilarious, though.

The Danish version was okay. Suffered from the same overabundance of red herrings and it seemed like they were just trying to stretch it over twenty episodes instead of focusing on writing a good/believable story, but at least the case was concluded at that season.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:30 am 

my brother likes Homicide a lot, need to get around to that someday.

enjoying Star Trek: Enterprise a lot. Just got to season 2. Has certainly hit a greater stride than early on.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 182  Next