Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 pm 

I have been looking into this subject for a number of years in various forms of study. There are a load of articles, films, documentaries, books, etc.. on this subject. I have a hearing problem (30% left, 70% right) I was born with due to my mother being profoundly deaf, so I have been naturally into this field of thought in a sense. She was a ballet dancer who danced by the vibration of the music, and had a knack for classical music. She passed away when I was two so I never really got to learn about her what music is like, etc..
especially since music and the deaf is a very interesting look into as well..
This article is a basic example of the subject in manner,

http://m.brain.oxfordjournals.org/conte ... /2528.full

I was reading (not in the article mentioned) they do 'before and after' CAT scans of someone when they listen to music at first; to evaluate activity on the brain (revealing a rather moderate reaction to a favorite piece of work even). Afterwards they remove the music from the listener, and have that person mentally examine over what was previously heard; revealing a much larger result of brain activity being used to how the music has made the listening subject feel.
What are your thoughts of this? How do you feel music is effecting your mentality, spirit?
How does attending a socially musical event affect your psyche and interaction with the understanding of the event?
Do you know of or are familiar with any research similar?

chronolith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 am 

extreme forms of metal (death/black) give me somethine like an adrenaline rush.... maybe happy isn't the word to use, but better than if i wasn't listening to it. i feel on top of the world, like i can do anything. maybe its a way to cope with repressed anger or what not, but i can't stop listening to it. it makes me feel like a badass motherfucker. anything too happy sounding, or overly depressive pisses me off.

http://www.myspace.com/isenblast

caligulasremains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am 

i understand that scientifically, harmonic music like opera and some classical music will calm brain waves and smooth them out to the point where thinking is easier. dissonant music like metal, makes the brain waves go bananas, distorting and masking the ability to think, leading to more intense emotional responses rather than logical responses.

i can't be sure because i don't know the user but i think chronolith is talking about the release of dopamine and possibly serotonin which is a very subjective experience. most everyone experiences this when listening to music that they personally enjoy.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

I think it's worth considering that people have strong conditioned responses to music. I can't cite any research or anything, but I bet if you compared the brain activity of metalheads listening to metal with people that only ever listened to pretty music, you'd see something different.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:07 pm 

FearTheNome wrote:
I think it's worth considering that people have strong conditioned responses to music. I can't cite any research or anything, but I bet if you compared the brain activity of metalheads listening to metal with people that only ever listened to pretty music, you'd see something different.

I can see what you are saying, yet I do not think it would be much of a different result than others (as such from listening to metal and compared to one listening to polka hop).
I look at musical a universal language. It does come in many, varied forms and it all seems to paint images, sway the soul, some people cry, some people want to explode with energy, ect.
I have found that if you play music through a guitar amp, put on classical music (Bach, ect) and turn the distortion on.. It sounds a bit like death metal in a way.. It is two very similar yet.distinctions of the vibes still trigger something in mind..
What do you feel about music being used as medical treatments for patients with psychological problems? Stuff like 'Digital Drug'- a constant sound played for exactly one hour straight, causing something to trigger brain waves.. Not sure the full details at the second but they have different 'Digital Drug' recording for separate reasons..

Reply to topic