Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:37 pm 

Sabaton is enjoyable in small doses, but to say they're the ideal of power metal is baffling to me. When I think of the "ideal power metal," I think of "The Apparition" for USPM and "The Red Rose" for Euro PM.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 am 

Strictly speaking on music...I'm not praising Sabaton as the best. Technically, they are no different than Hammerfall. I just like Sabaton's vocals, gimmick and overall production/presentation better. The actual music could be randomly generated on a computer by typing in "Swedish Power Metal". I could take a Hammerfall song, switch out the vocals and you'd never know. So riffs and all that is not what I'm defending. My brain requires bare minimal. Palm muted chugging E power chord. Just give me kick ass lyrics and delivery over that and I'm happy.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 am 

Changing the topic as I just cannot read Exigence's stuff regarding USPM without shouting at the monitor - do any of you guys have heard the Drakkar (Bel) "X-Rated" album? If yes - what do you think of it? To me it's a pretty good power/speed ditty. The vocals are fairly uninspired but the rest sounds on point. Any opinions?

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 am 

Milo wrote:
Any slow paced USPM with catchy riffs? Something like:

Must have faster parts too. Doom metal influence is welcome, as long as it's classical doom (not "weird" stuff like drone, etc).

Anyone?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:27 am 

Skullview's debut fits the bill, and it's also quite excellent. I have a review up if you want a more in-depth description. Desolation Angels also have some slow-paced stuff; I'm not as big of a fan as some folks around here, but they definitely have some catchy tunes. Definitely check out MR's Spiral Castle if you haven't done so yet. I might think of some more bands later.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:14 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Strictly speaking on music...I'm not praising Sabaton as the best. Technically, they are no different than Hammerfall. I just like Sabaton's vocals, gimmick and overall production/presentation better. The actual music could be randomly generated on a computer by typing in "Swedish Power Metal". I could take a Hammerfall song, switch out the vocals and you'd never know. So riffs and all that is not what I'm defending. My brain requires bare minimal. Palm muted chugging E power chord. Just give me kick ass lyrics and delivery over that and I'm happy.

That's perfectly fine. I like both Sabaton and USPM alike, but they are way different, and used for different occasions, like how you said you like metal for working out, of course you are not going to listen to Fates Warning while on it. You could eventually start to like this kind of music, or maybe you have found your favorite band already(congrats!), but there's no need to start bashing genres, let's just agree we have different tastes.

Have you listened to this?

Edit: Thanks for the guy recommending the latest Satan :beer:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:22 pm 

Anyone here familiar with Züül? They've a heavy metal band from Illinois. Totally killer stuff that sounds like old Iron Maiden and the like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_t90scLBdc

They're playing a show in Lansing real soon, I think I'm going.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Anyone here familiar with Züül? They've a heavy metal band from Illinois. Totally killer stuff that sounds like old Iron Maiden and the like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_t90scLBdc

They're playing a show in Lansing real soon, I think I'm going.

Love the band and have both of the albums. Really great stuff with a Thin Lizzy tint to the guitars. The Maiden stuff is there too but I see more Lizzy there. Anyways - great, great band!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:00 am 

So I guess I missed some sort of hilarious parody of all the worst aspects of Euro PM fandom while I was in Montreal? It's ok, I saw Manilla Road and Satan play for two hours apiece. Those people who say Manilla Road are all "message board hype" should explain to me how 300+ people seemed to know all the lyrics to their songs. People sang along so hard to "Flaming Metal System" that you could hardly hear the band.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:55 am 

I thought you didn't like Satan, you legless ginger bellend?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 am 

So I haven't heard Scanner's second album nearly as much as the debut, but I really think Mike Knoblich on the first album is just a better vocalist overall for this band. Fits the sound better...got that cool sci fi power metal tone. Coe is good too, but he just didn't have that extra wacky tint to his voice, ya know?

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am 

Empyreal wrote:
So I haven't heard Scanner's second album nearly as much as the debut, but I really think Mike Knoblich on the first album is just a better vocalist overall. Fits the sound better...got that cool sci fi power metal tone. Coe is good too, but he just didn't have that extra wacky tint to his voice, ya know?

Totally agreed. Still the second album is also a classic. The later ones lost all flair and power but those two are totally awesome.

In other news - anyone heard that Drakkar album I mentioned? If you like speed metal look into that because musically it's pretty good. Some Iron Angel tones and Scanner ones too. Too bad the vocalist is nothing special.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Coe is good too, but he just didn't have that extra wacky tint to his voice, ya know?

I thought Coe was even wackier, in a way, even more goofy pronunciation related mishaps. I think both albums are great, though. Not many bands can successfully replace vocalists like that, either.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am 

Coe doesn't sing every line like it's the single most awesome thing in the universe. Knoblich just has this completely absurd, gushing enthusiasm which really takes Hypertrace from "good" to "absolutely amazing."

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 am 

failsafeman wrote:
So I guess I missed some sort of hilarious parody of all the worst aspects of Euro PM fandom while I was in Montreal? It's ok, I saw Manilla Road and Satan play for two hours apiece. Those people who say Manilla Road are all "message board hype" should explain to me how 300+ people seemed to know all the lyrics to their songs. People sang along so hard to "Flaming Metal System" that you could hardly hear the band.

YEP, when I saw MR at Chaos in Tejas there was clearly a hardcore fanbase. I was right up at the front singing along with the rest of them.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:40 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Coe doesn't sing every line like it's the single most awesome thing in the universe. Knoblich just has this completely absurd, gushing enthusiasm which really takes Hypertrace from "good" to "absolutely amazing."

Well, it wouldn't work given Terminal Earth's themes, would it? I mean he can't really sing about being broke and alienated by consumerism as if they're FUCKING AWESOME, can he? Whereas the silly lame sci-fi concept on Hypertrace needs that kind of delivery. WIZARD FORCE! I dig both singers, but I'd give the slight edge to Coe.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:16 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Changing the topic as I just cannot read Exigence's stuff regarding USPM without shouting at the monitor - do any of you guys have heard the Drakkar (Bel) "X-Rated" album? If yes - what do you think of it? To me it's a pretty good power/speed ditty. The vocals are fairly uninspired but the rest sounds on point. Any opinions?

It is a good album. I bought the X-Rated Reloaded reissue last year and it sounds good. Rise and fight is a real speedmetal anthem if I ever heard one, and Lords of the North was pure Euro Cheese at its best before it was cool :lol: cool song though. Did you know they are back together? Listen to this new track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VnFG_0CFhDk

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:19 pm 

I like Scanner's debut, but never really understood the love the first singer gets. He's fine for what he is, but I prefer Coe vastly.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:57 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I thought you didn't like Satan, you legless ginger bellend?

Sez who? It's true that I don't spray fanboy jizz all over them like most people here, but they're definitely a good band and they performed extremely well. Brian Ross hit the notes perfectly, and he told us that England sucks.

Also, this guy.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 pm 

Who the hell is that?!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Who the hell is that?!

The vocalist of Piledriver, now Exalted Piledriver. Also did vocals for Convict and Dogs With Jobs. Out of those the first Piledriver album and the first Dogs With Jobs album are worth listening to. The Convict album is also listenable but nothing spectacular.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

They played the first album in its entirety, so it was pretty sweet! The dude is a great frontman, he was rubbing his belly and letting people poke it and pinch his nipples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-9Kcv6yPo

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm 

Jeremy and I are catching the Road again in a few months at Reggies in Chicago. No Satan though, but High Spirits will be playing which I'm obviously very excited about.

If I don't get a longer set from Shark and co. this time I may throw a hissy fit. They played for 2 hours? Any unexpected songs or anything? All I want in life is Fires of Mars and Cage of Mirrors.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
I like Scanner's debut, but never really understood the love the first singer gets. He's fine for what he is, but I prefer Coe vastly.

His midrange sounds a bit stuffy for my taste, but he's growing on me. There's always something to like about these old school singers who didn't use many effects and just, y'know, fucking belted their lines out. I'm starting to see why everyone loves Terminal Earth so much, this shit shreds. And rocks out.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm 

Piledriver playing Metal inquisition would have been great in a live setting I imagine, especially that chorus.

AND IF YOU'RE NOT A METALHEAD YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE DEAD.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Jeremy and I are catching the Road again in a few months at Reggies in Chicago. No Satan though, but High Spirits will be playing which I'm obviously very excited about.

If I don't get a longer set from Shark and co. this time I may throw a hissy fit. They played for 2 hours? Any unexpected songs or anything? All I want in life is Fires of Mars and Cage of Mirrors.

No Fires of Mars unfortunately, I was hoping for that one too. Here's the setlist as I remember it, though I couldn't remember the exact order:

Masque of the Red Death
Death by the Hammer
Hammer of the Witches
Witches Brew
Divine Victim
Only the Brave
Open the Gates
Stand Your Ground
The Grey God Passes
Haunted Palace
Road of Kings
The Ninth Wave
Mystification (Shelton broke a string just as the song got going, so Neudi played a drum solo and fucked around with the bassist while Hellroadie and Shelton re-strung and tuned the guitar, after which they started over again)
Cage of Mirrors
The Riddle Master
Flaming Metal Systems
Crystal Logic
Up from the Crypt
Necropolis
Encore: Queen of the Black Coast

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 pm 

Granted, this may just be Google translator fucking it up and if we have a German speaker to clear it up, it would be appreciated but:
Spoiler: show
It looks like Harry Conklin is done with music according to this this interview.
Quote:
Daniel: Ihr habt in den letzten Jahren auch vereinzelte Reunion-Shows gespielt, z. B. 2002 auf dem Bang Your Head oder auch 2008 auf dem Keep It True. Sind Titan Force für Dich heute eine Art Gelegenheitsjob, oder plant ihr tatsächlich auch ein neues Studio-Album in absehbarer Zeit?

Harry: Ich habe meine musikalische Karriere beendet und auch bei Satan´s Host gerade das Handtuch geworfen. Die Plattenfirmen haben mich in letzter Zeit ganz schön hängen lassen. Ich bin jetzt 51 und will mir das nicht mehr antun. Ich sollte mich von dem ganzen Musikbusiness erholen, egal wie populär meine Bands auch gerade sind.

Google translate is translating it as:
Quote:
Daniel : You've played in the last few years, reunion shows, for example, at the 2002 Bang Your Head or 2008 at the Keep It True . ? Titan Force for you today are a kind of job opportunity , or do you plan to actually release a new studio album in the foreseeable future

Harry : I have finished my musical career and just thrown in the towel Satan's host . The record companies have let me down quite lately . I am now 51 and do not want to do that to me . I should recover from the whole music business , no matter how popular my bands are also straight.
If it's true/correct, it's a damn shame as he kind of vanished from 2004 - 2011. Wonder what we could have gotten out of him during those 7 years.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The Ninth Wave
Cage of Mirrors
Encore: Queen of the Black Coast

Mmmmmmmmm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:12 am 

That's pretty close to their setlist at CiT. Was awesome.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:23 am 

They played 'Fires of Mars' when I saw them. It was fucking awesome.

High Spirits ruled at KiT, too, I haven't bothered with their studio stuff yet but those choruses were ace with 2000 + people belting them out.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 am 

Just wondering, what else is like Tramontane, Prodigy/Oracle, and Talisphere?

Also does anyone here have the lyrics for Tramontane, specifically the first two demos?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:32 pm 

Unfortunately, hearing Cage of Mirrors live has kind of killed the studio version for me. It just sounded SO MUCH BETTER.

monkseatcheese wrote:

Try False Witness and New Religion, they're in that similar vein of prog USPM.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 pm 

In other news Raven's "Nothing Exceeds Like Excess" is a killer piece of speed metal madness. Why are not discussing this album more? It has tons of riffage, melodic interludes and still oozes power. Really an awesome release. Love it.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
monkseatcheese wrote:

Try False Witness and New Religion, they're in that similar vein of prog USPM.

haha for 3 seconds i thought you meant this until i heard it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2WlE6b978

Im really enjoying the catchy riffs of New Religion, reminds me of Talisphere definitely. But False Witness seems to be more my style, heavier riffs sound so amazing with good vocals. A little thrash influence goes a long way imo, but i like stuff like this more than thrash generally speaking

thanks though. on a vaguely similar note, i just discovered Savage Grace - Master of Disguise, any bands/albums like this? Best Speed Metal ive heard in a bit, the title track is so fucking amazing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 pm 

Congratulations you've stumbled upon what is, in my opinion, maybe the greatest speed metal record ever. My copy comes with the Dominatress EP, I'd recommend checking that out if you haven't heard it yet. It's not quite as "balls out" as Master of Disguise but there are some great tunes.

ATTENTION PHARAOH FANS:

Nwnprod.com has a bunch of their CDs in stock for 5 bucks a piece. This is the cheapest I've seen them anywhere. I've never heard this band but I'm going to take this opportunity to splurge and probably make some purchases I'll regret later. And seriously, if you don't have High Spirits "Another Night" by now, what the fuck are you doing with your life? It's only five dollars.

edit: Alright so...I'm really glad I made myself listen to a song or two on youtube before I ordered every god damn album by Pharaoh. The first two songs I randomly selected from Be Gone are...well let's just say they aren't for me and leave it at that. Yikes. Still, quite a deal if you're a fan.

Last edited by Jonpo on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 am 

Figures, never heard anything quite like it before, i like it better than Agent Steel, Raven, Ample Destruction, etc. Only thing i would compare to it as of now is Walls of Jericho/Starlight/Victim of Fate era Helloween if that counts as purely speed metal instead of more power. And the song Keeper of the Seven Keys but thats not because its speed metal just because its incredible. Fuck most of Keeper part 1 and 2 though, seriously.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 am 

Milo wrote:
Milo wrote:
Any slow paced USPM with catchy riffs? Something like:

Must have faster parts too. Doom metal influence is welcome, as long as it's classical doom (not "weird" stuff like drone, etc).

Anyone?

Solitude Aeturnus' first two and Tyrant, "Too Late to Pray" especially.

Enchanter fits in pretty well next to Cauldron Born too.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:33 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Skullview's debut fits the bill, and it's also quite excellent. I have a review up if you want a more in-depth description. Desolation Angels also have some slow-paced stuff; I'm not as big of a fan as some folks around here, but they definitely have some catchy tunes. Definitely check out MR's Spiral Castle if you haven't done so yet. I might think of some more bands later.

I second Skullview, don't hear enough about them. "Consequences of Failure" is a great album.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 am 

The artwork of Tad Morose's upcoming album (to be released in november this year) looks silly as hell. Hopefully the music will be good though. That tune ''A Veil of Cying souls'' or whatever they played live sounded pretty killer. Also the vocalist seems to fit's the band's unique sound pretty well.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

"Cage of Mirrors", man!!! Tears of joy! Who is the idiot who says Manilla Road are "message board hype"? DO they not realise the band has been around in some form since 1979? :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 ... 625  Next