Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VonKarmen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:40 am 

hey guys,
me and a friend of mine will be visiting holland in mid september. the route is basicly texel-amsterdam-tilburg(incubate fest.).
we're looking for metal cd-shops and maybe some bars to hang out in those areas, any ideas?
also, we're more into the brutal\black\doom side of metal rather then the heavy\pwer\trash..

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 am 

There are not that many metal places in Amsterdam. There is a punk bar called The Minds at the Spuisstraat where you can still smoke inside. There is a metal bar called The Cave but it usually is playing mainstream metal that is too loud and beer is a bit more expensive compared to the minds. For coffeeshops I can give you better recommendations
For CD's there is not that much choise either. The only shop that I find woth visiting now and then is called Concerto at the Utrechtse straat but is has actually very little metal.
I hope this will be helpfull in some way

VonKarmen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:25 am 

that's all?!
kinda dissapointing i must say :\
sure there's no cool palces that 'serve' more underground stuff?

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:29 am 

I know. I find it disappointing myself as well. But so far I never saw a place like that. Maybe there is and then i would like to know it as well..
Feel free to ask any other question about Amsterdam.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 am 

VonKarmen wrote:
that's all?!
kinda dissapointing i must say :\
sure there's no cool palces that 'serve' more underground stuff?

I wish I knew some, but I have only been to Amsterdam a couple of times, and all of them were family visits. Here is a list of alternative bars in Amsterdam, but It's mostly hardrock/rock and heavy metal. Ofcourse heavy metal is probably being used as a collective term, so I wouldn't be suprised if most of those bars spin the more commercial bands (or metalcore) and not the new Satan or something like that.

http://www.metaltravelguide.com/europe/ ... /amsterdam

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 am 

the cave sucks... Although veeery once in a while we get a cool band to play there.. Master has been there lots of times. if you're looking for CD's you're pretty much out of luck since the boudisque closed a few years ago.. the Fame has recently opened again in the magna plaza, near dam square. Not a great store. For vinyl your options are better; Distortion @ westerstraat, Record Friend @ jodenbreestraat, Amstel Antiques @ Amstel, and Concerto is a great store still :)

the punk venues in Amsterdam are much more interesting than that lone metal bar we have. Vrankrijk @ spuistraat has started doing metal shows once in a while. Also check out the OCCII @ Amstelveense weg.

Stay away from coffeeshops that want more than 10 euro's for a gram of weed :P don't go to stupid places like the torture museum, check out the rijks or van gogh instead.

Despite (or maybe due to? :P) the lack of metal Amsterdam is still very much the most beautiful city in the Netherlands :)

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 pm 

OCCII actually programs metal too, so that's pretty much ok. The thing is: both OCCII and Vrankrijk are squats. And where OCCII has a semi official status and is actually well kept, Vrankrijk is still a dump.

Of course you stumble over metal shows in the environs of Amsterdam on a daily basis, which is why metal bars just won't make it. The only reason the Cave hangs on, is the tourist business. The only real metal joints I know are in the really rural areas, where they do not have concerts on a daily basis. (A good friend of mine had a metal bar in Leiden (30 minutes by train from Amsterdam) and it just didn't work.)

But at least visit The Cave, if you're in Amsterdam. Combine it with a show in Paradiso or Melkweg. They're just around the corner anyway. I'm not from Amsterdam, but I whenever I go to The Cave alone (usually after a show) I manage to have a great evening nonetheless. Oh, and probably they'll have some distro's at Incubate, so for your record needs, just go there.

tubescream
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 am 

Interesting to hear so much criticism directed towards The Cave - I went for the first time about a month ago, and the entire night was spent drinking beers with Dutch locals and listening to Celtic Frost, Kreator, and Cannibal Corpse

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 am 

tubescream wrote:
Interesting to hear so much criticism directed towards The Cave - I went for the first time about a month ago, and the entire night was spent drinking beers with Dutch locals and listening to Celtic Frost, Kreator, and Cannibal Corpse

+1.
I was there on holidays this last summer and they were playing Death Metal when I came in. After some songs, I just had to ask if music was like this during ALL the night cause I'm used to shitty heavy metal bars!
Nice place to drink, listening to music and talk with locals! What else do you need?
P.S: I meet a cute polish girl there and I still have wet dreams with her! LOL!
They recommended me 2 bars in Amsterdam and I went to the other before but it was too heavy metal for me so I ended in the Cave.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 am 

That's because people from Amsterdam are naturally negative about everything. It's a nice enough bar.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am 

for me it's mostly because of the homophobic staff (not everyone BTW) and the way they treat touring/gigging bands :) Also really expensive beer, and most of the time the stereo is waaay too loud, and only playing obvious stuff like slayer. Vrankrijk has had a license for a pretty long time now I thought, just like the OCCII it's not really a squat. The OCCII is better maintained though.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm 

Homophobic staff? How in heavens name do you find out that? They just serve the drinks, so unless you are being obnoxious, they have no chance to show anything of their personal beliefs.

As to the price: yes, there are cheaper places in Amsterdam, but not an awful lot in the city center. And to be quite honest: don't skimp when going out. If you do not have the money, stay in and enjoy the evening with friends at home; much more relaxing.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm 

you find out stuff like that by paying attention to it. Which is easy if you're LGB or T. Fiets maar door hoor vuile flikker! they called to me when I was parking my bike (I was playing there that night) I've heard them say plenty dumb closeminded things, not only to customers, be they gay or not but also to random passerby's and homeless people and stuff.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:34 pm 

Well... Too bad for you. I have never heard any of them make a derogatory remark to anyone.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm 

Well, I am not too fond of the Cave myself. However, I never experienced any rudeness from the bar personnel. I just think the beer is expensive and the music way too loud with (for me) only occasionally interesting songs. I guess that it can change per night but if I go there I end up being mostly outside anyway.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm 

I spent quite some nights at The Cave as a teenager. The beer was expensive, but it was great fun. I haven´t been there in like 5 years, though, so I wouldn´t know how it is now. I´d never go to any of those punk places either, though.

Does anyone know what Korsakoff is like these days? Same as with The Cave, I haven´t been there in years. Back when I went there a few times, they still had some rock/metal evenings, but last I heard they turned it into a more mainstream kind of place. I casually walked past there a week ago but it was 6AM and I was wasted so I didn´t have time to verify this story. :D

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:36 am 

The Korsakoff recently had it's last night and is now closed :(
I haven't been there for about 5 years so I couldn't tell you how the vibes were. From what I recall they were always more interested in gothic and industrial rather than metal.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 am 

In Tilburg there is a store called Sound (or something like that) where you can buy metal cds/lps (black, death, doom etc) and Little Devil is a cool metal pub. There are often good bands playing at that pub too!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:06 pm 

suddenly all the dutch on these boards emerge from the woodwork?
Well the thing is Amsterdam is not the most metal part of the country.
There are more metal/rock bars (comparatively) in the rest of the country as far as i am aware.

I dont really go to metal bars much though and there arent many music stores left with metal as its speciality. I have to mention state of art in nijmegen though, that one is of the biggest in the country afaik mainly mainstream stuff there though.

Reply to topic