Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:49 pm 

Seconded. I can't even count the amount of guitars I've purchased basically because they were pointy. I've been satisfied with all of them.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 pm 

Actually, I have 2 electric guitars: my old beginner Ibanez and my recently bought XOX Handle.

Of course, studio recording can imply owning several types of guitars, for example one vintage rock oriented, one modern metal oriented, one country oriented... I'd surely love to own one Fender Stratocaster, one Gibson Les Paul, one semi-hollow, one ESP... But I don't see the point owning X Jacksons at all. By the way, I tried the Jackson Dinky and was quite disappointed by the tone.

Anyway, everyone is free to spend their money how they like. As long as they have money, haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:03 pm 

Those XOX Handles are pretty badass. How do you like it?

I have one-two guitars for each tuning I use. So 5 at the moment, probably going to top out at 6-7. 2 basses as well. It's basically an excuse for me to buy more guitars, haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:17 pm 

KFD wrote:
But I don't see the point owning X Jacksons at all. By the way, I tried the Jackson Dinky and was quite disappointed by the tone.

Anyway, everyone is free to spend their money how they like. As long as they have money, haha.

well that's your problem you tried a shitty dinky. I hate them.

my V needs to be repaired. But I use them in different tunings. My Kellys one I use in D standard and one in C standard. they actually get different tones cause the year difference inbetween the years made. my Warrior has completely different pick ups and set for A standard. Even if they were all D standard they all sound differently, vastly. So I use them for different projects as an artist uses colors in a painting. I pick a tone that I think suits a project and paint a release with it.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:35 pm 

@infinitenexus:
It's the best guitar I've ever played and I don't feel like playing another guitar anymore. Of course, the XOX Handle's greatness is no surprise when you see the price.

The only problem is the lack of single coils, which deprives me from a Strat-like vintage clean tone. But I managed to fix that by cranking the bass on my amp's clean channel. On the distorted channel, I love to turn down the guitar's tone knob and get this pure Hellhammer/stoner tone. The volume knob also plays a significant role.

You're right about having a different tuning on each guitar, I'm lazy at re-tuning too. I wouldn't mind owning the baritone drop-B XOX Handle model as well ;)

When it comes to bass guitar, my Yamaha is way too heavy. I might buy a lighter bass guitar some day.

By the way, I hate spikes, flying-V and any other useless "metal-looking" shape.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm 

I love flying Vs. They are by far my favorite shape. Gibson made a few of their new century flying Vs with a carbon fiber top, I've been keeping my eye out for one of those. One day...

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 pm 

Can you sit playing a flying V?

It's the major problem, since I play sitting almost every time I play the guitar.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:02 pm 

Absolutely. Most people just do it wrong and hold the guitar horizontally. If you hold it so the neck is up at an angle, you can rest the nock of the V on your right thigh. That puts the guitar into a perfect position. And I'm the same way, I sit most the time when I play.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:03 pm 

Well it's not so much at being lazy. All of them are Flyod Rose Locking Tremolo so There is a ton i'd have to reset and redo each and every time I want to play in the different tunings. it's just smart.

and I never care about playing a guitar sitting down. I never have. I always stand up.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:06 pm 

I like the way tremolos look, so when I built some of my first guitars I put a tremolo in all of them. Later I realized I never use tremolos and in fact hate them hahaha. So now they all have fixed bridges.

I sit when I play because it usually takes me a few takes to get a clean track recorded, and it's just easier to sit right in front of my computer, so I can quickly and easily click record, stop, delete, record, stop delete, record, stop, delete, record, stop, delete, record, stop, delete, record, save.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 pm 

I never played sitting down even when I was teaching myself. I couldn't stand it. So i just stand up for everything including recording. It only feels natural to me that way. otherwise don't even bother handing me a guitar.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:51 am 

Yeah I got tired of messing with floyds myself and bought a fixed bridge guitar. I play a V and sit down with it on occasion no problem, but it's more comfortable to stand up with it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 am 

I have quite a few fixed bridge guitars as well. I don't really use the floyds on mine either. hell I've lost the bar on 2 of them. If I come across them cheap I went on and bought them regardless if I needed the floyd or not. I've gotten it down pact where i can change all the strings and retune perfectly in about 20mins. I'm just glad I don't have to do it much. And I don't cut the strings to length, I leave tons of extra cause usually if a string pops it's down at the bridge and I just loosen unwind some and retune. saves me from having to buy more strings.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 am 

I stand up when I practice all the time, for the sake of getting used to rehearsals/live playing. A guy who gave me a few lessons(amazing guitarist) said that sitting down gives you a false sense of security when practicing and you'll find that what you thought you had nailed one day might turn out shitty on another day.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 am 

That was always my reasoning right there... where you said getting used to playing live. even if I don't play live all that much anymore. I started out thinking well I'm going to form a band at some time and I want to play live I don't see anyone but cripples sitting down playing guitar.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2