Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:19 pm 

I had a 120 watt 4X10 Crate combo in high school, got it dirt cheap at a pawn shop. Deafeningly loud, bleh clean channel but pretty good crunch to it. That was my first big amp, it was awesome.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 pm 

my first combo was a crate something with one 12 in it. my first 'big boy' rig was a Crate rig. I think RX100 or RG100 or something. I actually still have it and I have the cab that went with it. Every single speaker in the cab is gone, went to shit, the head is practically all garbage but still functions. I'm actually recording the next Vomitwolves album with it cause it gets me a sound that is similar to Archgoat's Blessed Vulva. just completely disgusting but still audible to make shit a fuck. I think I posted a picture of the bastard in the musician's thread with that Ironbird.

the next amp I got after that was that Blue Voodoo. that was a turd... I ended up trading it for my first Ampeg SS150.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 pm 

My first amp was a little 15 watt fender combo. It sucked. Then my drummer stole a fender ultimate chorus from a church and I played that until a friend blew one of the speakers. That amp had awesome distortion for being a solid state fender combo. And the clean channel on it was incredible.

Still looking for my perfect amp. I should try my Dark Terror for a doom song, Oranges are good at that stuff.

Actually what I would really like is to build another firefly amp, but use two output tubes instead of one, add a master volume and a bright cap, and wire the first gain stage to always be dimed. Unfortunately that's well beyond my amp building skills. If I have some money laying around in the future I might pay someone to do it. It would sound incredible.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm 

I'll throw in you the direction of my friend who checks out all my shit if things are fucked up. He builds pedals in his spare time. Hell he built this one fucked up pedal that's nasty as fuck for a fuzz pedal that is running from a single tube n shit. When he told me all about it and then let me hear it, I almost had him make me one. Still might at some point when i get tired of buying all the gear. haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm 

It'll be a while before I seriously consider getting the custom firefly. That would probably be $500-$600 for what is essentially a 5 watt amp, so no matter how good it would sound, it's not a priority haha.

I do want to learn more about tube amps though and get a cheap old one from the 70s or so and mod it to get more gain, and see what kind of tones I can get. I love tinkering with shit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 pm 

that's what my friend likes doing, he goes to pawn shops and buys old 'junk' electronics and fucks with them and usually turns a profit from taking them appart, repairing them, or repuposing them as other electronics. he's done some wacky fucking shit with old radios and speakers and shit and sold them for 10 to 30 times the amount of money he spent on getting them. And that's just his funtime goof off shit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 pm 

Another thing I want to do is get a small lightweight amp, possibly the orange crush 15 because it's small, cheap, and can do metal, and building it into a suitcase with a vintage 8 or 10 inch speaker. Like an old suitcase, a tweed one from the 60s or something. So when I travel I can throw some clothes in there and also have an amp on hand. I saw a guy do that with an orange micro terror and I loved the idea, the micro terror just doesn't have enough gain.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 pm 

That's pretty awesome. I thought about bringing a guitar with me to write shit and not really to 'learn' any covers, but to play along with some shit like last month when I was sitting around watching/listening to Death play and reading tabulature along with the song for shits and giggles. I have one of those Vox plug in things that you use headphones for. I use that at the house cause my wife would shit at having anything else at the house that would knock over anything. She doesn't even have a full grasp of all the shit I have at my shed, she just sometimes sees me get packages and asks what it is and asks why I need another one. that's why I have most sent to my PO box or to the storage unit directly so I can just put it in where it belongs. She's only been to my shed once and that was before we were married. She says it smells.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm 

Hahahaha awesome. I have a vox amplug also, that thing is surprisingly awesome.

I want to build a travel guitar. I saw some ideas once and I want to copy it. Basically a gibson scale guitar, hack off the headstock right after the nut and install a locking nut there to hold the strings in place. Then cut away the body except for what holds the electronics (better if you can get something like an epiphone les paul jr with less electronics to mess with), and leave some wood behind the bridge. Thin that wood down to 5/8" and put your tuning machines there, behind the bridge. You'll essentially string it backwards, but it doesn't affect the playing any. But you can hack the body down to a very minimal chunk that way, I would personally even eliminate all the electronics and just have the pickup wired straight to the output jack. That and a little travel amp or even just a laptop with reaper and a VST or two and you've got a nice portable guitar set up. Once I get out to Colorado I'm planning on building something like that, as well as a teardrop trailer to go camping in. I'll have a full portable setup, and I'll be able to bring metal to the wild, haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:20 pm 

That sounds pretty awesome. I see you are big on creating stuff to use. I'm just not as I guess you can say driven to do so since I do that at work so much, if you know what I mean. Though I had been thinking about building a 612 cab and calling it Bastard. Thought about building a 415 in a inward pyramid like my fenderbassman... but I guess I like finding deals more. haha. And I don't a ton about electronics in wiring shit up.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 pm 

I'm basically addicted to building stuff. Anything I can. Guitars, amps, I built a small sailboat a few years ago. Sometimes I do wish I had gotten a job where I built shit, I'd probably be happier than in the Army. But I'm halfway to retirement so oh well. I say build a 6X12 and throw some old AlNiCo speakers in there, that would sound awesome and be loud as shit. Heavy as shit too, but the smaller magnets on the old speakers would help lighten that a tad. Right now my projects are that pine SG and building an enclosure for my peavey head, since it's just the chassis. Then I'm going to try my best to lay off everything until my divorce is over, then once I'm good and financially stable again I'll probably try building the 1X15 isolation cab and maybe tracking down some old tube amp and modding it. Oh, and for some reason I want a cheap les paul copy, like one of the japanese made lawsuit ones from the 1970s. I want one of those more than an actual gibson, can't really say why.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 pm 

just because and that's all the excuse you really need for it. same reason why i want a 612 when I have 2 Krank 412s, 2 Sunn 412s, Fender 412, Kustom 215 (soon 2), and 2 busted ass 412s that I'll probably be selling soon to make room for more goodness.

I might buy another bass rig too, or build one.. I have an Ampeg 810 and a Peavey 210/218 cab. this would be where the Bastard brand 415 would come into play. haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm 

4 15, god that would be ridiculous haha. Sounds like you're pretty set on speaker cabs. I'm trying to keep my cabs to a minumum and focus on amp heads, if nothing else because it saves room and as i said right now I can really only use my isolation cab. Well, I do have a little speaker cab I built out of spare wood a while ago with a 6" speaker. I should run the ampeg through that haha. Actually I ran my old bugera 6262 though a 2 inch speaker once, just for shits and giggles. It melted and fused the voice coil in like 2 seconds.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 pm 

haha thing is I feel I'm set on amp heads cause I have a ton already. like 6 Ampeg SS 150's & 140's, 2 Sunn Concert Leads, Sunn Enforcer, Randall RH200, Randall RG300, Ampeg VH 150, Accoustic 330, Peavey Mark III 400G, Crate failure G100 XL or something. And that's just for guitar. I do have a minimum for bass, which is an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and a Sunn Colisium 300.

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 pm 

Quote:

Sorry, did you mean the EVH or the Peavy?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 am 

Personally I know about the Peavey one that sounds really great, I don't know much or had much experience with the EVH.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:46 am 

I've tried both and the differences are quite negligible compared to a lot of other factors anyway, like pickups or playing style. The EVH seemed to scream more for playing solos but maybe that was in my head(all part of the marketing wahahaha)

SixGun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:02 pm 

I run a Japanese Boss HM-2 through a Sunn Beta Lead, very crunchy.

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:00 pm 

Ok, so after another trip to guitar center, I played through a number of amps and I've sorted it down to a handful of choices.

Randall T2 (Has a more "modern" sound, similar to a Line 6) {This is just the head played through a different cab}
EVH 5150 III 100W (A nice head, loud and has a good crunch to it)
Peavey 6506 Plus (Warm thicker tone, similar to EVH)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Peavy and EVH the same amplifier with just a different name and few small differences?
Cost of each is from $600-1200, so for me, it's a small investment. And all of these amps sound great, I just want to know which direction I should go.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 pm 

Throw that fucking Randall in the garbage if you bother picking it up. esp if it sounds similar to a turd Line 6 piece of shit.

SixGun, unless you are playing some swedish osdm, why the fuck are you just underutilizing that Sunn beta?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 pm 

The EVH 5150 is great but it's too damn expensive since the old Peavey 5150s are indestructible the former cost $1799 new and the latter are roughly a third of that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 am 

Goes to show you that older is always better.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 am 

The EVH 5150 III is a lot more quiet for being a high gain amp. The previous guitarist had one of those as well as the matching cab and it sounds really, really good. But obviously it also costs a fortune!

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am 

When I was still gigging I ran a Marshal JCM900 through two Carvin B cabs, one loaded with 4 JBLs, the other with 4 Celestions with just a Boss Super Overdrive pedal and it roared for OSDM. Since then, I'm down to a Crate GX-15 that's on it's last legs, with a Line 6 floorpod. Looking to ditch the crate and replace it with a MG15CFX asap.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 am 

Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Ok, so after another trip to guitar center, I played through a number of amps and I've sorted it down to a handful of choices.

Randall T2 (Has a more "modern" sound, similar to a Line 6) {This is just the head played through a different cab}
EVH 5150 III 100W (A nice head, loud and has a good crunch to it)
Peavey 6506 Plus (Warm thicker tone, similar to EVH)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Peavy and EVH the same amplifier with just a different name and few small differences?
Cost of each is from $600-1200, so for me, it's a small investment. And all of these amps sound great, I just want to know which direction I should go.

I had a Peavey Butcher years ago and while I love my Peavey bass amp, I would never, ever buy a Peavey guitar amp again. One day it would sound amazing, the next it would sound like crap. Sometimes, it would swing from amazing to crap and back again in the middle of a song. Totally infuriating. Don't recall the exact number of times, but I clearly remember almost putting my steel toe boot through the front of it on many occasions. Ditched it for a Marshall and never regretted it for a second.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:19 pm 

That really sounds like you bought a really shitty head. I know a few people who love those Butchers. I'm not really as interested in them. Though I did get a Peavey Mark III Musician 400gh just now for cheap and can't wait to get home and give a try out to see if I like it, I told the bassist in one of my bands that I did and he told me 'that's great, go fuck yourself' since it's something that he wants. I think he wants one of those Butchers as well.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 pm 

I know it's very subjective, but I've also never, ever liked what I heard from an amp with "Peavey" on it.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 am 

For one thing, Peavey makes amp that don't break easily. Buy a Marshall and something will probably come lose within a year or two, the pots will probably crackle and hiss and they sound like shit!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 am 

I can't say that I've never heard anything I don't like from an amp aside from Line 6. I honestly haven't heard many people using a peavey head anyway.

true about marshall though. i remember my friend buying a new one, I don't know what model and he had it in the shop constantly.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 am 

The thing with Peavey amps, are that they have a lot of middle. I like them a lot more than modern Marshall's. The only Marshall's I do like are old JMP's and JCM 800's.

I used to own a Line6 Spider III head but I sold it after I bought the 6505. I sold it for the same amount I got it for minus the footswitch, so it was a good deal. It sounded ok, but at higher volumes the tone sucked so it was pretty worthless to me.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm 

Modern Marshalls are surprisingly ok-ish for rehearsals/live, but don't record anything with it lol. Otherwise, JCM/JVM is where it's at, nowhere else.

Between those, Peaveys or whatever, I guess it also comes down to what exactly you like in your sound. At that budget, pretty much anything can be made to work, so it's all taste.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that in the context of death metal, you don't actually require a huge amount of gain. Just enough to get some juice out of the palm muted chugging bits. Too much gain will kill all dynamics and sound noisy anyway. I love Entombed and all that but that kind of gain-soaked sound works in very few contexts. But hey, if that's the exact context you're going for, I think amp matters less than HM-2 copy hehe.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

Peavy's are built like tanks. I've always been a big fan of the company and have never really been disappointed in their products.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 pm 

Tmwr I hope to spend some time with it in actually playing it. I know it turns on at least. but after an 11 hour drive, I wasn't much up for playing and plugging wires to get it all hooked up.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That really sounds like you bought a really shitty head. I know a few people who love those Butchers. I'm not really as interested in them. Though I did get a Peavey Mark III Musician 400gh just now for cheap and can't wait to get home and give a try out to see if I like it, I told the bassist in one of my bands that I did and he told me 'that's great, go fuck yourself' since it's something that he wants. I think he wants one of those Butchers as well.

Someone on here suggested I had a bad tube in it in a prior convo, although I don't recall ever seeing any of them not glowing bright.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I can't say that I've never heard anything I don't like from an amp aside from Line 6. I honestly haven't heard many people using a peavey head anyway.

true about marshall though. i remember my friend buying a new one, I don't know what model and he had it in the shop constantly.

My JCM900 was rock solid. Never once had an issue and I used it every day for years, in practice, studio and stage settings. I'm sure it's like everything else though, a piece of equipment made in the 80s/90s is more dependable than ones made these days where everything is built as cheaply as possible so the manufacturer can raise their bottom line...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 am 

I doubt he got a JCM900 and that would probably if I ever got a Marshall would be that or the 800. He wasn't playing metal and I it really just didn't have any power to it but I know he sunk like 1200 into buying it. Something like that. I can only state what I've seen first hand, quite a few others around here ditched their heads for others. So like like Ive said about the Peavey could be the same with Marshalls... just quite a few more that I can pull from to say they are not that great.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 am 

I've never really heard a bad thing about the JCM800, other than by themselves they don't really have enough gain for death metal. Put a tubescreamer in front and voila. Even my JCM800 clone sounds awesome - and by the way it's a Peavey, made in USA, and built like a tank. I have never once heard anything negative about the reliability of Peavey amps, even including the little bandit 1X12 shitty combo amps that are dirt cheap. They may not sound great but they'll last forever. And regarding the 5150, There are two things that essentially everyone describes them as: Being the best-sounding one trick pony around, and being built like a tank.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 am 

I still have my Peavey Bandit 112 (not the TransTube version, the old original one) that I bought in 1995! Sounds better than the new ones as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm 

On a side note just was able to do a quick sound check while picking up lunch.... Goddamn. that Peavey I just picked up is beast as fuck. I had just gotten my Acoustic 330 back from my friend checking it out and it's beast as fuck... funniest part is my friend really couldn't crank it or anything. he just ran threw the electronics and shit. But he thought it was strictly a clean head. I guess since it doesn't have anything labeled as gain I can see why he would think that at low vol. So I got to turn it up and from what I read all it takes to bring the crush is to turn the vol up after you turn up the master vol. it's vol and gain in one. The Kustom cab is great and I tried both of those heads on that and perfomed excellently, and I threw an Ampeg SS140 on top just to make sure to put it through all the tests and it passed with flying colors. now I have 2 kustom 215 cabs to play live with an Ampeg SS150 and SS140

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 pm 

Speaking of 15s, I just got my 1960s 15 inch alnico speaker in the mail, and I have to say, god damn a 15 inch speaker is huge hahaha. Eventually I'll build a cab for this monster. It'll probably sound great. Glad to hear your Peavey sounds good!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

Very nice! I'm very thrilled with my purchases. And now my friend is looking at the Sunn Colisium 300 cause it doesn't power up worth a fuck. I expect it's shit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next