* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
Marmer wrote:
Very simpel. The album is just Carcass awesome. Im glad they are back to this style. Grind on!

Hahaha Sir Marmer, you have undoubtful good taste :-D

thnx my friend..

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 am 

That 'counting' part in The Granulating Dark Satanic Mills, how cool would it be if it was...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 am 

Well Carcass acknowledges the leak.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 585&type=1

I've listened to it twice in its entirety and few select songs a couple of more times. I must say I didn't enjoy it at all the first time. When 'Captive Bolt' was released few weeks ago, I had a mild inclination towards the material but still remained optimistic about the rest of the album. On the first listen, I was sort of taken aback perhaps because of the monumental expectation. None of the songs felt gritty and memorable and I think I would've fast-forwarded few sections. But on the second listen, after a gap, I really started digging the melodic hooks. That is what the album essentially is - melodic/groovy. I think it was because I came to terms with the album being a faster Heartwork than anything else. The songs that stand out for me are - 'Master Butcher's Apron', 'Granulating Dark Satanic' and 'Unfit for human consumption'. Jeff's vocals are quite awesome on the record and they seem to have aged quite well but yet retain the quality that we've heard before. I also enjoy the solos on some the songs. Overall, I think it's definitely not a disappointing comeback album. Older fans will grumble but I'm sure the album will sit well with fans of Heartwork/Swansong.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am 

Vocals are dual/quad tracked all the time. Jeff doesn't sound that good live at all.

The album remains to be decent yet not excellent. This is still way better than Heartwork and Swansong, but to make something better than those albums is not an impossible task to accomplish either.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 am 

Oh man I'm so pumped about this album!! But I think I will wait until I get my physical copy...

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm 

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's definitely one of their better albums; I'd say it's better than both Heartwork and Swansong.

It's infinitely better than anything you could have expected after Swansong/Blackstar/Firebird so that alone helps.

They did what they wanted to do, and a pure grind or death metal album would have seemed insincere. I think they made an album that's a pretty good combination of all of their influences. There are even a few Swansong-ish parts in there.

All in all, it's a pretty great album, and in my opinion, better than Exhumed's new one too, if that tells you anything. It's an example of a comeback album done right. I'm so fucking thankful they didn't embarrass themselves.

Welcome... to the... THRASHER'S ABATTOIR.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
This is still way better than Heartwork and Swansong.

Stabwound wrote:
I'd say it's better than both Heartwork and Swansong.

What?!? Not for me at this moment.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

I checked it out last night, but just had it on in the background on my POS computer speakers while playing Tomb Raider... I barely ever listen to death metal these days so it was a bit of a change for me but it sounded pretty good. Need more listens on better/louder speakers. I'm sure I will be buying it either way at the show in Chicago. I never really liked Swansong but I loved the title track from Heartwork and the song This Mortal Coil. Surgical Steel sounds like a bit of a mix between Necroticism (my favorite Carcass album) and Heartwork with a lot more tech elements.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:42 pm 

YES! FUCKING YES!

Just heard the album...

HOW FUCKING SICK IS THIS ALBUM!?!

I'm so happy right now. Gonna give it another go.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 pm 

one listen and loving it.
Not hearsay but the will of man

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:43 pm 

I had pretty much zero expectations for the new album, but it was a pleasant suprise right after first listen. It's just great when bands manage to create good comeback albums!

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:57 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Vocals are dual/quad tracked all the time. Jeff doesn't sound that good live at all.

The album remains to be decent yet not excellent. This is still way better than Heartwork and Swansong, but to make something better than those albums is not an impossible task to accomplish either.

Almost all professionally recorded vocals are tracked at least twice.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:18 pm 

Spoiler: show
The Lions Den wrote:
The (expensive) mail order edition:

Guys, if these scissors are surgical scissors I can assure you they are a handy tool. I have one pair of legit surgical scissors (rumors are that my grandfathers' friend stole them from the hospital :lol:) and they cut through fucking everything.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:25 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's definitely one of their better albums; I'd say it's better than both Heartwork and Swansong.

It's infinitely better than anything you could have expected after Swansong/Blackstar/Firebird so that alone helps.

They did what they wanted to do, and a pure grind or death metal album would have seemed insincere. I think they made an album that's a pretty good combination of all of their influences. There are even a few Swansong-ish parts in there.

Mostly agree with this. Firebird was/is terrific though, even if the vocals aren't as mean and gritty as I'd like from a killer blues/rock band.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MorbidPentagram
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 pm 

new carcass album = just melodeath pose to death metal. continue of heartwork.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:01 pm 

I don't see how anyone could seriously say that this is a continuation of Heartwork. It's far more death/thrashy than Heartwork. Sure, it has some of the melodic parts Heartwork had, but it's definitely not a central theme of the album nor is it even a part of many of the songs. And it sure as fuck barely sounds like melodeath. It's closer to actual DM/grind with some melodic parts than Dark Tranquillity.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

As the band said, it's a mix of Necroticism and Heartwork. It mixes the harder edge of the former with the melody of the latter. As for if it's melodeath, it's less melodeath and more death metal with melody.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

New interview with a few interesting and funny parts: http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/Car ... iew/16887/

Quote:
Let me make a tricky question. As death metal is a vague term right now, there is the death metal of Carcass and the death metal of Arch Enemy. Would you say you like the death metal of Arch Enemy?

Jeff Walker: When their first album came out, I was kind of impressed. But, with what they are doing… the audience they are trying to appeal to… it is not the audience we are trying to appeal to. I’ve said this in an interview before and Angela got very pissed off. I said that they play for kids, while we don’t. That’s the difference. We are in our 40s. We are writing music that we want to enjoy it now in our 40s.

Funny to see that Jeff and even Bill have something of a grudge towards Arch Enemy. And Jeff also goes on to more or less say that he dislikes the Carcass clone bands, which I find pretty funny, though he comes across a little arrogant.

And I didn't realize Bill was so upset and disappointed with Swansong and the circumstances surrounding that. It sounds like it fucked him up pretty badly.

Also, to note is that they talk as though they plan on releasing more albums and continuing on with Carcass as their main band. :hyper:

I haven't stopped listening to the new album for days. It takes a while to sink in, but they fucking nailed it. They mention it in the interview, but they tried to make an album they like and not just something that sells well, and you do get that vibe when you listen to it. They could have went all out with modern influences but they didn't. I'm happy.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

The more I listen to the new album the more amazing it gets. Seriously once you let it sink it's claws into you it does not let go. It is all I can listen to right now. I couldn't be happier to tell you the truth. It's catchy, it's heavy, it's melodic, and those vocals sound just as rabid as ever.

Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 pm 

I've listened to it twice now and I'm pretty sure I don't need to again. Apart from one or two tracks it's just not the sort of stuff I enjoy.

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 am 

Quote:
A.K.: You mentioned Mike. Why isn’t he in the band anymore?
J.W.: Ask him when you meet him. Ultimately, his priority is not Carcass. No matter the other bands we play in, Carcass is our priority. For Michael, it is Arch Enemy first, Spiritual Beggars second and then it is Carcass. That’s not something we’re interested in. But, when he found out that we were writing an album and he wanted to be involved…
B.S.: It was just really about timing… He said he wanted out on the last show we played together. He said he had enough. And then when we were doing the album he said he wanted to be back in. It’s hard to go back and forth like that. As Jeff said, it’s a commitment issue. We started this band, he came later on and he left quite early too. So, it is not the same thing with him. It is always going to be something that matters more.

I can relate to and value their all or nothing attitude. Very interesting though that he wanted in on the writing despite having no prior interest.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 am 

If Arch Enemy's last couple albums are anything to go by, it was for the undeniable better that Amott didn't have a hand in making Surgical Steel.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:46 am 

Yeah, no shit. The best thing about this album is that the riffing still has balls. I was amazed to hear what Bill came up with for this album. I wasn't sure he had it in him anymore, and the riffs aren't quite as memorable, but he's definitely one of the best metal guitarists there is even today.

Amott trying to melodeath it up would have been shit. Thank fuck he wasn't involved. And hilarious that Jeff basically said he begged them to be on the album and he turned him away.

I love how you get the feeling he doesn't care for him or Arch Enemy at all.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:59 am 

Amott has always been one of my favorite guitarists, sure, he's best known for Arch Enemy, but he has a wide range of styles and is very talented. I don't think he would have ruined the new Carcass album.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:48 am 

Unfit for Human Consumption took Wake Up Dead's riff. Speaking of that, Im glad they didnt do a Megadeth/Morbid Angel, by making a shitty album, then looking like a douchebag by bitching about people not buying it. Yeah, I downloaded the leak, but Im still going to buy it.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:18 am 

Yeah, I'm a Carcass fan boy, but they actually lived up to what they said they were going to do. I was terrified it was going to end up an abomination, or sounding like "Carcass trying to write a Carcass album" like Death Magnetic sounds like Metallica sitting down and going "let's write something that sounds like a Metallica cover band" but they were smart enough not to go down that road or try anything retarded like Morbid Angel dance music.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 am 

I find new carcass to be rather boring -
the riffs just aren't there

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am 

Stabwound wrote:
like Death Magnetic sounds like Metallica sitting down and going "let's write something that sounds like a Metallica cover band"

pointless speculation

Quote:
but they were smart enough not to go down that road or try anything retarded like Morbid Angel dance music.
This sentence makes no sense

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:48 pm 

Of course it's speculation, but that's what the new Metallica sounds like to me.

And yes it makes sense. Imagine Carcass trying to ape Exhumed or Impaled or Necroticism even. It probably would have turned out awful. And needless to say, Morbid Angel going death-techno under the guise of "experimentation" was an abomination.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:20 pm 

Some people seem to be complaining about this one sounding too much like Heartwork, and even those who do like it do not want to apply the "melodeath" label, like it's some kind of curse :P. Seriously? Based on those posts, it looks like I'm going to love this new album! Also, Heartwork really wasn't a melodeath album; the title certainly applies to songs like "This Mortal Coil" and "Heartwork" , and maybe 1 or 2 others, but that's about it. I've always preferred Heartwork to Necroticism by far, but I honestly didn't think it was that big of a departure in sound.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:22 pm 

it really was.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:43 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
And yes it makes sense. Imagine Carcass trying to ape Exhumed or Impaled or Necroticism even. It probably would have turned out awful. And needless to say, Morbid Angel going death-techno under the guise of "experimentation" was an abomination.

But isn't that exactly what Carcass did? I mean I haven't heard the new album yet besides that one song but I do remember the interview where they said they specifically aimed for a sound similar to their older stuff. In other words they did exactly what you think Metallica did with Death Magnetic.

and little nitpicking about the Morbid Angel thing, the whole album is not "dance music" there's only 3 or at best 4 industrial oriented songs in it

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
and little nitpicking about the Morbid Angel thing, the whole album is not "dance music" there's only 3 or at best 4 industrial oriented songs in it

"3 or 4" is like half the album.

It's also 3 or 4 more than there probably should've been.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

the album has 11 tracks overall so no, and skip buttons exist for a reason

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm 

Morbid Angel's album had 3-4 death metal songs and the rest was industrial shit. It was bad no matter which way you want to describe it. You could make a decent EP out of the actual death metal songs, but the rest was inexcusably bad.

And yeah, of course Carcass tried to appeal to their fanbase, but the difference is that it worked. For whatever reason, Death Magnetic comes across very insincere to me, like they totally forgot how to write metal songs but did it anyway. Bill and Jeff still know how to write good metal music, surprisingly and thankfully. Metallica is so out of touch with metal that it's not even funny, and look at what you get when they do what they WANT to do: Lulu, possibly the worst big-name album of the century, without exaggeration.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm 

the album has 11 tracks overall so no, and skip buttons exist for a reason

Take out the intro and you have 10 tracks, so yeah, that's pretty close to half the album.

If you need to skip 3-4 full songs on an album with 10 full songs, it's probably not a good album.

Besides, the non-industrial tracks weren't exactly great either.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
Morbid Angel's album had 3-4 death metal songs and the rest was industrial shit. It was bad no matter which way you want to describe it. You could make a decent EP out of the actual death metal songs, but the rest was inexcusably bad.

And yeah, of course Carcass tried to appeal to their fanbase, but the difference is that it worked. For whatever reason, Death Magnetic comes across very insincere to me, like they totally forgot how to write metal songs but did it anyway. Bill and Jeff still know how to write good metal music, surprisingly and thankfully. Metallica is so out of touch with metal that it's not even funny, and look at what you get when they do what they WANT to do: Lulu, possibly the worst big-name album of the century, without exaggeration.

Morbid Angel's album has 3 fast death metal songs (4 if you count the industrial death metal song Profundis Mea Culpa) and 2 midpaced death metal songs (3 if you count the somewhat arena rocker I Am Morbid), the "industrial shit" on that album is in the minority and that's a fact.

and whether the attempt to please the fans worked better for Carcass than for Metallica is purely subjective, I for one really like the Death Magnetic album and dont think it sounds insincere at all, to me it sounds like they're having great fun playing those songs.
And Lulu is technically Lou Reed's work and not Metallica's so it doesn't count :P

But like I said, I havent heard Surgical Steel besides that one song (which kicked ass IMO) yet but I will check the whole thing when I get some free time... I'll probably revisit all their earlier albums before getting to the new one though

AppleQueso wrote:
If you need to skip 3-4 full songs on an album with 10 full songs, it's probably not a good album.
To me an album is still pretty decent if 6 out of 10 songs are good. 5 or less and then the album sucks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 pm 

I think the regular songs on Morbid Angel's last one were worse than the faux-industrial/dance tracks, at least those were kind of funny.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:08 pm 

Morbid Angel's album has 3 fast death metal songs (4 if you count the industrial death metal song Profundis Mea Culpa) and 2 midpaced death metal songs (3 if you count the somewhat arena rocker I Am Morbid), the "industrial shit" on that album is in the minority and that's a fact.

I Am Morbid is terrible.

Quote:
AppleQueso wrote:
To me an album is still pretty decent if 6 out of 10 songs are good. 5 or less and then the album sucks.

See, here's the thing. The album's bad stuff? It's really really bad. Most of the good stuff is "decentish" at best. 4 terrible songs + 6 "okay" songs still makes for a pretty shitty album, especially considering that the shittier tracks are actually the ones stand out more. The actual death metal songs come across as filler.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:51 pm 

I dont really care how particularly bad the worse songs are on an album, to me they're all fillers nevertheless and I just skip them. It all comes down to how many of the songs are good and exactly how good those songs are.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next