Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 pm 

I was wondering if anybody had unusual cool ways to record that they would be interested in sharing? I have one.
1. Plug a guitar into your audio interface or whatever you use to record. Plug another guitar into an amp. Put the one plugged into your interface in front of the amp, silence the strings with a cloth, and start recording. The guitar's pickup in your audio interface should act as a mic for the guitar sounds coming out of the amp, adding a double distortion. Here's a result.
https://app.box.com/s/4v02esqjd5kzzt5j9b7b

That's all I got, converse people.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 pm 

Sounds like you could've just miced the cab and added more reverb to that. Not sure if the reverb comes from how you recorded it or how you had set it up anyway. Other than that it seems like it would need extra clean up on it from while noise.

here what seems to be more and more unusual as I read more about how some people record their music....
I mic a 412cab using the stock distortion on whatever head i'm using.. and run it into my recording interface that goes into my computer... and press record.

redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 pm 

He added a little East West Quantum Leap $300 dollar reverb on it. Other than some analog imitation mixing it's untouched. The noise is from the pickup, it's natural. His other stuff sounds normal.

Last edited by redstar2112 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 pm 

Yea sounds a bit noisy. I'm not sure why you would do that unless you didn't have a microphone. well it's neat you could do so.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 pm 

I read one about putting the headstock of a bass guitar against a door and then just micing the door.

redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:49 pm 

I just thought you could record two takes of the same solo and have the clean one front and center and the distorted as backing.

redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:59 pm 

Finger tap a banjo? There's a funny guy who did that on youtube. I'm not quite sure how metal it is. It's called rock bluegrass (finger tapping banjo solo). http://youtu.be/Asku7ahuuXE

Last edited by redstar2112 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:59 pm 

I see. well that's weird.

redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 am 

The idea is weird or the video? Is it when he uses the power of jesus to turn his banjo into an 80's guitar and then shreds?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 am 

the idea on what you were trying to achieve. I see no video. literally there is nothing there. I just assumed it was something that was an accidental posting.

basically that whole post about finger tapping a banjo. I just thought I missed out on the first part of that conversation.

redstar2112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 am 

Singing through the pickup. You'd have to amplify it once it was recorded of course.

Last edited by redstar2112 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 am 

I read something about Morbid Angel putting a mic into a fishbowl in front of the amp on the mid-era to later albums.

badlung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 pm 

an old hip hop recording technique that was used when you were really broke, is to plug a set of cheap over-ear headphones into an input and sing into it, as a speaker and microphone are the same thing in principle but reversed, (mic turns sound into electrical energy and a speaker turns electrical energy into sound,) it sounds kind of shit, i've tried it, just sounds heavily filtered, but worth a shot for some unusual sounds,

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 am 

somefella wrote:
I read something about Morbid Angel putting a mic into a fishbowl in front of the amp on the mid-era to later albums.

I remember reading that Trey gets inspired by pretty random things (lava lamps for one) and then just dicks about in the studio and has fun trying to create the idea. There are some pics of Trey's gear in this setup here:
http://wheretheslimelives.blogspot.co.u ... art-2.html

badlung wrote:
an old hip hop recording technique that was used when you were really broke, is to plug a set of cheap over-ear headphones into an input and sing into it, as a speaker and microphone are the same thing in principle but reversed, (mic turns sound into electrical energy and a speaker turns electrical energy into sound,) it sounds kind of shit, i've tried it, just sounds heavily filtered, but worth a shot for some unusual sounds,

I heard mention that Varg did something along this line to record vocals for early Burzum releases, dont know how true this is.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 am 

the headphones as mic is fairly common technique. It is widely used with speakers in front of kickdrums for some extra bass frequencies. Easy to make yourself if you've got a spare speaker and XLR cable.

I agree with SLK that just miking whatever amp you have seems to be getting more and more rare, with everyone using digital amp guitar rig stuff nowadays, which sucks.

Not really unusual or anything but I like the drumsound they got on Queens of the stoneage - Songs for the deaf. Which was done in 2 seperate takes, first the actual drums, then the cymbals.

The techniques Trey used just seem to be ways to get effects you would normally get with other gear.... By setting up a fan in front of your cab you're just getting a lot of extra noise and a tremelo effect, you're not reinventing the way a guitar sounds :P

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:16 am 

doktersatan wrote:
The techniques Trey used just seem to be ways to get effects you would normally get with other gear.... By setting up a fan in front of your cab you're just getting a lot of extra noise and a tremelo effect, you're not reinventing the way a guitar sounds :P

As you say neither technique seems like it would do anything you couldn't achieve via a tremolo, reverb or eq/filtering.
Trey has never given me the impression he has much technical knowledge in what he does but it looks kinda fun.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:51 am 

mp3 recorder and play the base track first, then relay it through Audacity and output via PC speakers. Whilst this is going on I do drums/bass/whatever over that still via the mp3 recorder.

My PC input jack is busted so aside from cassette recording it's the only (easiest) option I've got going. And it works most of the time.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
As you say neither technique seems like it would do anything you couldn't achieve via a tremolo, reverb or eq/filtering.
Trey has never given me the impression he has much technical knowledge in what he does but it looks kinda fun.

You're right , it does look like fun to do, but if the result is just a noisier version of an effect most musicians already have access to it kind of defeats the purpose :P

I just thought of something similar; the black keys recorded a leslie effect by swinging a mic by it's cable in front of the cab :p

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:47 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
I read one about putting the headstock of a bass guitar against a door and then just micing the door.

I can see that kinda working, but it would probably sound like crap unless the bass cannot move at all.

I lean the neck of my bass against the side of my couch to get more volume when I can't be arsed plugging it in. As you change finger positions, the bass will move slightly, causing a volume drop, or silencing whatever object you are micing.

badlung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm 

doktersatan wrote:
the headphones as mic is fairly common technique. It is widely used with speakers in front of kickdrums for some extra bass frequencies. Easy to make yourself if you've got a spare speaker and XLR cable.

Yeah i use this alot when recording drums its just to get loads of sub from the kick, very easy to make and can be great on a bass cab for doom/ sludge recording too.

doktersatan wrote:
Not really unusual or anything but I like the drumsound they got on Queens of the stoneage - Songs for the deaf. Which was done in 2 seperate takes, first the actual drums, then the cymbals.

again, at the place i work we do this all the time, its a great technique as then you can compress the hell out of the shells to get great hard hitting sounds but none of the harsh cymbal bleed that would come from heavy compression normally,

some other cool things is just reamping stuff, send your drums out of an amplifier with loads of reverb on, or blast vocals out of an amp into a big hallway etc and record the results, really cool for blending with the original source to get weird results and awesome "real" reverbs

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
I heard mention that Varg did something along this line to record vocals for early Burzum releases, dont know how true this is.

I thought he recorded vocals with a mic-including headset (frequently used by online gamers).
I didn't know about the recording-through-headphones technique. I will give it a try. Does it work when one plugs a headset into a mic input?

The first-drums-then-cymbals recording technique is good for recording very fast tracks, but it needs a tight synchronization.

I read on a drummer board that 70's disco drum tracks were recorded each element separately. This means one track for the kick, one track for the hi-hat, one track for the snare, and so on. I tried it but it didn't really sound like disco drums. Also needs tight synchronization.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm 

It just means they are all separate tracks. Not that each one was a separate performance. If that's what they meant then they are straight up lying.

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:14 pm 

-

Last edited by ~Guest 145593 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 pm 

Azordon wrote:
Put a digital camera down right next to your amp and have it record a video, although it's only purpose is just capturing the audio from the amp. Then upload your videos onto your computer and import them into Windows Movie Maker. The "movie" you made is the guitars, then in the audio part of the timeline you can add other stuff such as drums, vocals, or more guitars. When you're done, save it as a movie file so now you'll have a "video" with guitars and drums/vocals/more guitars, you'll have to repeat this step the more you want to add stuff to the guitars such as adding drums first, then saving and then adding vocals and saving again. When you're finally done, you can make your completed "video" song a .wmv file by dragging the video into the audio part of the timeline and saving. I've done this all the time and it's worked very well for me over the years up to this day.

this is an awful lot of hassle to effectively just do something you can do with Audacity and a cheap microphone.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:05 pm 

yea that's beyond worthless. yea it's possible but really going through all that trouble you could've fucking done it properly for cheap and made it in less time and at far better quality.

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

-

Last edited by ~Guest 145593 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 pm 

Aside from the large investment in time you have spent doing all of that. I rather have saved all that time and composed and recorded 3 times the amount of stuff.

~Guest 145593
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 pm 

-

Last edited by ~Guest 145593 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:35 pm 

*shurgs* I guess whatever works for ya.

Goht218
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 am 

I use a $20 USB Headset w/ a mic, a tiny practice amp, and FL Studio for drum tracks.

I put the headset next to my amp (with the amp at a low volume) throw my headphones with completed drum tracks on and then I record guitar tracks. For vocals I put the mic a bit further away from myself as to not get so much unnecessary noise and record vocal tracks. Then I throw all the files onto FL and level everything out. That's my obscure recording technique.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 am 

Playing styles? Picking behind the nut on guitar can give you some odd weird ambient noises. Or if you have a tune-o-matic bridge between the bridge and the stop bar. Also, another thing, put your pickups very high, play something palm mute and slam the strings to shit to the pickup at the same time. If I recall correctly something like that was used few times on Gorguts Obscura, and lotsa deathcore bands do that. Its a neat thing in my opinion.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 am 

Don't know how uncommon this is but Erik Rutan sometimes mics 2 bass cabs, one with a condenser and another with a dynamic mic. This way, the condenser picks up the high end slapping stuff but the dynamic captures the low end rumble.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 pm 

somefella wrote:
Don't know how uncommon this is but Erik Rutan sometimes mics 2 bass cabs, one with a condenser and another with a dynamic mic. This way, the condenser picks up the high end slapping stuff but the dynamic captures the low end rumble.

a lot of producers do something similar, except they mic the cab for the low end and they just DI at the same time for the treble slappy stuff. takes out the need for two cabs.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:24 am 

If you have dry drums via basic sampler or drum software ITB you can play them back in a reasonable room of your choice and record the output via microphone. You can do this with bass+drums, or even guitar tracks.

Instant ambience the old fashioned way ! Yes , i know there are amazing drum progs out there and great reverb plugins.

But this works great on a budget, like if you used four instances of reasamplomatic for your drums.

Hint : For some amazing sound , try tiled washrooms. They work great with doomy deathly old school vox as well as stoner sludge or basic metal (vox and gtr) sounds too.

FLEAM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:49 am 

I cant [figure out how to] export click tracks from Cubase tempo track, so - I mute all the music, put the click on, new lane open, put headphones on the guitar, press record, walk away.
Guitar picks up click through headphones and records it as an audio track, so I can EQ the click to whatever sounds right.
Since you can select metronome sounds instead of the standard 'click' noise, I guess you could also use this to record other tempo based noises from samples etc.
Pro Tip - don't let the dog bark while its is recording :/

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am 

^ Create midi track and export it with tempo and etc. changes. U can add beats on it if u want it in audio format, but still don't get the idea to use it outside Cubase?
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

FLEAM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:41 am 

^ ah yeah I know about that, but I tried to use midi, and VST drums ages ago, couldn't sort it out and got in a Cubase-rage, so I do the click this way rage-free. The reason I do this is so I can listen to a track outside of Cubase on stereos with the click in it, or someone else can.
Just thought it was pertinent to the thread.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:38 pm 

suleiman wrote:
If you have dry drums via basic sampler or drum software ITB you can play them back in a reasonable room of your choice and record the output via microphone. You can do this with bass+drums, or even guitar tracks.

Instant ambience the old fashioned way ! Yes , i know there are amazing drum progs out there and great reverb plugins.

But this works great on a budget, like if you used four instances of reasamplomatic for your drums.

Hint : For some amazing sound , try tiled washrooms. They work great with doomy deathly old school vox as well as stoner sludge or basic metal (vox and gtr) sounds too.

There's a lot of free reverb VSTs that would work much better than this, for drums.

However your mention of tiled washrooms reminds me of a story I heard about a semi-band back in the 70s/80s (Journey maybe? Jefferson Starship?) that for a while recorded all their vocals in a shower, due to the natural reverb in there.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 am 

Er, are you sure? Bathroom reverb is not a great reverb, and it's very recognizable...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am 

That's what I always heard, at least. And I guess it depends on the bathroom (maybe?)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next