Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm 

This is something that's sort of hard to put in words, but I'm looking for a "fantastical" sort of black metal, something that puts you in the headspace of wise and/or childlike, phantasmal beings, who have grown beyond feelings of spite and hatred in their perpetually introspective state of existence. (note that this doesn't remove melancholy and even darkness from the equation) Something reminiscent of the nocturnal, spectral and fantastical. Possibly jovial even.

I'm also interested in wonky or misshapen black metal born out of a lack of self-consciousness that still comes off as genuine in it's expression. Imagine rendering your diary or poetry no one's supposed to see into music.

However, seeing as this shitty descriptor probably isn't very conductive of getting me what I'm looking for without you people telepathically extracting what I want, I'll post a few samples of what comes close to it below:

VLE - ...Of Wood and Water | If there's a heaven for abandoned children, this is it's soundtrack.
VLE - Ancient Song Set Ablaze | Not black metal, but melancholic in this otherworldly manner I'm looking for.
Velvet Cacoon - Fauna & Flora | nocturnal shit bro
Velvet Cacoon - Claverie | Same as above.
Fulgor - Eyequinox | Weirdo black metal, endearing and childlike in it's lack of self-consciousness and wonkiness.
Circle of Ouroborus - Warpath
Circle of Ouroborus - Skyline Painter
Potentiam - Elysium | This is the music of a wizard eternally researching esoteric and ancient wisdom in his metaphysical laboratory/library. Possibly the best example of "fantastical" black metal, at least in that it conjures up images related to fantasy in an otherworldy and non-banal manner.

tl;dr: give me lo-fi/weirdo/dreamlike black metal.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm 

Botanist, maybe?.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoDSM2DSYU Not metal though (not even a guitar)

EDIT

I just want to thank the OP and the other contributors for posting such a awesome plethora of cool bands to check out. :thumbsup:

Last edited by henkkjelle on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm 

Varghkoghargasmal was the first thing that came in my mind when reading the thread title. It's amateurish as fuck but definetly fantastical, weird and "outsider"

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm 

Nuit Noire is what you need.

Have you already heard the split that Circle of Ouroborus did with them?

You may also enjoy some of Forgotten Woods and Joyless stuff, too. (not really "outsiders", or even "fantastical", per se, but they frequently induce a profound, dreamy, transcendental-yet-depressive emotional state in me)

Furze?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 pm 

The CW Productions bands might have what you want... the most primitive/raw/"outsiderish" of those is probably Kestrel:

EDIT: Forgot another good one! Wold's Screech Owl:

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:03 am 

These are the closest things I can think of to what your looking for.

Reply to topic