* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Except for saying most trad metal albums only have a few good songs, which is a blatant lie, that was a very detailed post from ghengis...and I'm glad to see Sonderkommando on someone else's number 1! Great album.

The new Queensryche may find a place on my end-of-year best of.

Hey I told you in the post not to read the crappy notes to self lol. Also that's less inline with song to song and more riff to riff on that opinion. I tried to explain it in the heavy/power rec thread a couple of months back and failed, so it'll continue being something only I understand I guess.

Yeah fair enough, I actually didn't see the 'don't read the notes' bit. I can sort of see where you're coming from as someone who likes more extreme stuff though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 am 

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'm putting too much expectation on the genre. The metal I love has it's own little crutches that are used in the same manner of the ones I find so repellent in heavy/power/speed. It's not like doom doesn't fall back on feedback drones or death metal on some murky churning to pad things out a bit between all the more over the top parts, I just have a higher tolerance for that stuff than I do for anthemic power chord choruses and 16th note gallops. I guess I'm closer to the heavy metal equivalent of a tech death nerd who only wants the frills and none of the traditional meat when I think about it haha.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

Blown away by Necrowretch's "Putrid Death Sorcery"!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:42 pm 

Church of Misery's new album, "Thy Kingdom Scum," is kicking my ass currently. Awesome, old-school doom metal that's not much different from their other albums but still loaded with killer riffs and grade-A bass work.

Obligatory Last FM Link

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:34 am 

Graveland did not disappoint me this year. Been waiting for about 3 years for Thunderbolts of the Gods and I liked it quite a lot. I don't know how he does it, but Rob seems to have a knack for having near-yearly releases that are different enough to all be distinct from one another, yet not to to different so it retains the Graveland sound or vibe. The drums were awesome as well, as usual. I'm not sure if they're real on this release or programmed, but either way, they're pretty fucking amazing sounding.

So, probably not the best Graveland release (not quite on par with things like Immortal Pride, Creed of Iron or Dawn of Iron Blades) but overall, awesome stuff.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:19 am 

From The Vastland - Kamarikan

This is basically Norwegian styled Black Metal but it does have some subtle Middle Eastern tinges to the furious tremolo riffs. Nothing revolutionary but its still a very enjoyable album.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:12 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
From The Vastland - Kamarikan

This is basically Norwegian styled Black Metal but it does have some subtle Middle Eastern tinges to the furious tremolo riffs. Nothing revolutionary but its still a very enjoyable album.

I just checked out two songs from this album and it's pretty good! Hard to believe one Iranian man made this. Might be worth picking up, actually. Thanks for the name drop.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 am 

You're welcome Mikey, glad you liked it too.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 am 

Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane. Perfect old school black metal from Poland!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 pm 

Panzerchrist - 7'th offencive -
Shade Empire - Omega Arcane-
Kalmah - 7'th Swamphony

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am 

The new Desert Storm album, Horizontal Life is a very solid recording. Southern/Stoner/Sludge Metal with a decent amount of variance on the record, not just rock out anthems. The vocals are top notch and the riffing is some of the best I've heard this year. It's one of those albums where when people hear you playing it, they immediately want to know who it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrdmdcFGUfM

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:20 pm 

Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos

Sick head banging Death Metal in the Old School vein. Its catchy without compromising in the aggression department. They usually stick a main riff but they are so damn catchy and thunderous, and they spice it up with some very good solos.
Save for a couple of slow sections, the music never lets up.
Really enjoyable stuff

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos

Sick head banging Death Metal in the Old School vein. Its catchy without compromising in the aggression department. They usually stick a main riff but they are so damn catchy and thunderous, and they spice it up with some very good solos.
Save for a couple of slow sections, the music never lets up.
Really enjoyable stuff

Man, this is pretty good! I don't remember the last thing that came out on Razorback that I gave a shit about but this I dig, thanks for the heads up!

http://razorbackrecordings.bandcamp.com ... diabolicos
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 pm 

You're welcome mate, its really good shit.
Now that I think of it, Razorback's recent output has been pretty poor. Its seems like ages ago when they put out quality stuff from bands like Decrepitaph, Machetazo and Crypticus

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm 

They were putting out some really killer records there for a while... Splatterhouse, Frightmare, Funerot, Ghoul's first 3 album, Lord Gore, Blood Freak's first 3, Greusome Stuff Relish, Machetazo, Engorged, Birdflesh, Fondlecorpse, Acid Witch... then about '08-'09 it just seemed like every band was a weak rehash of one of the previous greats or just boring death/doom.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:51 pm 

Wow! I can't believe I forgot about Frightmare, Ghoul, Fondlecorpse and Acid Witch... That's a whole lot sickness right there.
Shows how far they've slipped

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm 

Ugh Funerot's "Nova II" EP is so fucking good, wish their other stuff was more to my liking like that one.

Still haven't seen many people talking about this, which is kinda sad: http://abyssion.bandcamp.com

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:35 pm 

Funeral Circle's debut is good doom metal. It needs some work and on first listen it's a bit patchy, but I like the very Atlantean Kodex/While Heaven Wept-inspired epic moments and interesting vocal play mixed with the traditional doomy riffing. They have a clear sense of what they want to do, and that outshines some minor flaws here and there. I look forward to playing it some more.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Wow! I can't believe I forgot about Frightmare, Ghoul, Fondlecorpse and Acid Witch... That's a whole lot sickness right there.
Shows how far they've slipped

Yeah man, not sure if there's a shortage of rad bands playing death metal with that sort of aesthetic or Razorback just decides to put out the ones that suck but either way, it's a bummer.

Dragunov wrote:
Ugh Funerot's "Nova II" EP is so fucking good, wish their other stuff was more to my liking like that one.

Haven't listened to Nova II in a minute... I don't remember thinking it strayed much from their established sound on the rest of their stuff (excluding the split with Rabid), maybe I need to revisit. The "Stranded in Time" EP is probably my favorite stuff they did but they're one of those bands for me that just couldn't do any wrong. I thought "And Then You Fucking Die, Man." was killer too and it was a pretty big departure from the stuff they were doing previously.

/end Funerot fan boy gushing

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 am 

I may have to revisit the other stuff too, I may have had And Then You Fucking Die, Man in mind when I posted that. I love the guitar sound on Nova II, it's not really "metal" sounding, it's more of a loud, overdriven clean sound and it's perfect.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Still haven't seen many people talking about this, which is kinda sad: http://abyssion.bandcamp.com

Only listened to the "Fields of Heaven Burning" track so far, and that changed into something unlike what I was expecting. I didn't find the first minute all that interesting, but the shift up into over the top melodic lead harmonies worked really well in the context of a heavy OSDM band.

Edit: Other songs are looking blacker and thrashier, but still rely on the same "kinda boring extreme metal turns hyper melodic" thing.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 am 

"kinda boring extreme metal turns hyper melodic"? Eh, whatever you say man. There's some great riffing going on throughout the duration of this album, and plenty of awesome guitar leads. Kind of a riff salad approach to songwriting, but when you're playing equal parts Arghoslent/Incantation riffs that's fine with me. Not many bands around today (that I know of) that play this style of metal. What is "hyper melodic"? The only thing I can think of that could fit that description is something with quadruple guitar harmonies without bass accompaniment, or Dragonforce.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm 

I'm really enjoying the new Facebreaker, Dedicated to the Flesh. It's pretty simple and formulaic, but I just can't stop listening to it. It might be that in my eyes is just so much Metal coming out lately that is just trying too hard to be unique when it comes to compositions, production, etc. It seems that every band is trying to put a unique stamp on their music. That is perfectly fine and can actually yield awesome results, but it becomes tiresome when band after band misses the mark. I often find myself listening to samples of other bands and wondering "OK, when are they going to switch things up and totally ruin those amazing riffs/drumming/vocals/etc?" Or I find myself wondering "Why on Earth did you choose to give us such weak production on music that needs to be felt pounding through the skeletal system?" Even worse, something is too weak in the mix, be it drums, guitars, or vocals, so one overpowers the rest.

Then there's Dedicated to the Flesh, which is almost laughably formulaic from beginning to end, but still contains top notch riffs and drumming (much improved over their two previous full lengths). There's really nothing new or original here, it's just extremely heavy and consistent music, but that's the beauty of the album in 2013. It is also ridiculously powerful and crisp in its production, which I realize can be a turn off for many. I'm positive it's not for everyone because of its simplicity, but it's refreshing to hear some Death Metal that just begs to be played at a high volume and reverberate through your bones, nothing more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwUaRzlV4k

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:29 am 

Just finished listening to the new Coffins and Tengger Cavalry albums.

Well, Coffins is Coffins. I think that should be descriptive enough concerning their new album. Fucking awesome shit that is as heavy as three bulldozers, plus an entire skyscraper to boot. I particularly like their ability to merge a simple drum beat with a catchy guitar rhythm and turn it into a combination that is insanely headbangable. Very cool.

As for Tengger Cavalry. As my username would hint, I rather like the band, and their new album, Expedition, does not disappoint. It boasts probably their best production sound yet, though that could be because Nature has assembled other musicians this time, rather than do everything himself and then edit it all together. The actual metal elements seem to have been improved upon as well, there are some pretty cool riffs here and there, as well as some pretty solid black metal vocals. The shining point however, as is probably obvious, isn't the metal by itself but the east-Asian folk instrumentation and the throat vocals, which are as good as anything on the first two records.

Pretty pleased with both albums.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
I may have to revisit the other stuff too, I may have had And Then You Fucking Die, Man in mind when I posted that. I love the guitar sound on Nova II, it's not really "metal" sounding, it's more of a loud, overdriven clean sound and it's perfect.

ATYFD,M is the true anomaly in their sound, the rest of it is closer to the NOVA II sound fo sho. Go for the Stranded in Time ep and the Invasions from the Death Dimension full length. both utilize the shit out of that wacky sci-fi guitar sound, which I too love, reeks of the atmosphere that bands seeks to create.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm 

Just gave a few tracks from those albums a listen, and heeeeelllllll yeah, this is more like it. I definitely need to track these down.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:41 am 

DO IT! The Stranded in Time EP is always floating around used for a good price...

Looks like Deathgasm has the LP on the low http://deathgasm.net/product_info.php/m ... s_id/10860

What I REALLY want to find is the Splatterhouse "The House that Dead Built" LP.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am 

Trollkraftt's debut demo Bogs and Brimstone is still holding out as my favorite release so far this year. They play sludge, but that really seems like an umbrella term; at times it's thick and drawn out, and other times groovy and bass-heavy. Vocalist Seb's voice is highly unique for a sludge group, as he sounds like he should be fronting a black metal outfit, but it mixes incredibly well. And if the name and album cover don't give you the hint, they're also influenced by the Tolkienesque fantasies, and feature a lot of folk instrumentation and ambiance in their breaks to give you the feeling of being in a bog somewhere in a D&D fan's wet dream.

If you're interested, you can stream it from the BandCamp of the group's record label. The band also listed a free download on Facebook, since the first run of physical copies is sold out.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am 

Ares Kingdom - Veneration

This is basically a cover album, but its a damn tremendous one. They give flawless renditions to songs originally by Dokken, Nepenthe, Slaughter Lord, and even Guitarist Chuck Keller's former band, Vulpecula, among others.
If you're familiar with their previous albums, you know you're in for some aggressive Thrashy riffs and mind blowing solos.
The production here makes it sound like this was released in the early '90s and it suits the music to a tee.
My favourite is Die by Power (Slaughter Lord). The blasts sound so raw and angry, it makes me want to punch someone.

Last edited by Beer Baron on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm 

my list is now -

1 Shade Empire - Omega Arcane-
2 Panzerchrist - 7'th offencive -
3 Hate - Solorflesh
4 Gorguts - Colored Sands
5 Kalmah - 7'th Swamphony
6 Deeds of Flesh - Portals to Canaan
7 Reptilian Death - The Dawn of Consummation and Emergence

humm seems like im forgetting some things allready :P

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 pm 

Newsted's album is like part Megadeth, Voivod, Motörhead and Metallica. Pretty badass. I'm kinda surprised.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 am 

This new project by Red Chord guitarist Mike McKenzie called Stomach Earth. Don't let the words Red Chord turn your interest off, this is absolutely stellar Funeral Death Doom Metal

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:44 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

Only listened to the "Fields of Heaven Burning" track so far, and that changed into something unlike what I was expecting. I didn't find the first minute all that interesting, but the shift up into over the top melodic lead harmonies worked really well in the context of a heavy OSDM band.

Edit: Other songs are looking blacker and thrashier, but still rely on the same "kinda boring extreme metal turns hyper melodic" thing.

Same exact thoughts here, turned out to be a very interesting song indeed, certainly kept my attention.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
This new project by Red Chord guitarist Mike McKenzie called Stomach Earth. Don't let the words Red Chord turn your interest off, this is absolutely stellar Funeral Death Doom Metal

Yea that guy certainly puts out some intresting stuff, stumbeled on his "The Resurrection of Everything Tough" by Beyond the Sixth Seal not too long ago. While having that modern feel its actually pretty good heavy metal.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 am 

After pre-listenings, confirmed the major hype for Surgical Steel

"You make it easy."

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am 

new s/t by Revocation is fantastic. tech thrash meets melo death.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm 

Beyond - Fatal Power of Death

Eeuugh! This is disgusting!
Its hard to describe the brand of Death Metal being displayed here. It is rooted in the Old School way but ramped up a few notches to crush whatever is in its path. At times they play these incredibly heavy blackened blasts, then they slow it down to a Doom pace, then some sick tremolo riff pops up out of nowhere. Thankfully, they don't switch it up to the point where the music becomes disjointed, rather the changes are seamless. I could go on and on...
Have you ever imagined the sound you would get if you threw the best bits of Morbid Angel, Incantation and Immolation in a blender, but the heaviness ruins the blades, so you're still left with big uncrushed chunks of each?
Well, this comes very close.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm 

My favorite albums of the year so far, more or less in order of preference:

1. Satan - Life Sentence
2. Queensrÿche - Queensrÿche
3. Warlord - The Holy Empire
4. Legend - The Dark Place
5. Witch Cross - Axe to Grind

Boy, did Satan ever impress me with 'Life Sentence'. I haven't heard 'Suspended Sentence', but I'm still calling 'Life Sentence' their best album yet. The guitars just won't quit. So much energy and great ideas all over the place. Hard to believe these guys are as old as they are, as they still sound completely fresh.

The surprise of the year has to be 'Queensrÿche'. I expected them to come up with something decent; I certainly didn't expect them to come up with something great. It's not perfect: it is, as everyone else has noted, too short, and all the songs aren't equally good, but there are some real gems on here. I can't wait to hear what they come out with next. Welcome back, guys.

Warlord's 'The Holy Empire' has got to be one of the most laid-back heavy metal albums I've ever heard, but succeeds with its epic atmosphere, flawless melodicism, and sheer classiness. I'd have liked for them to speed it up a bit more often, as it maintains a steady, mid-paced tempo throughout its duration, with only a few faster moments scattered throughout ('Kill Zone' taking the cake for the most aggressive cut of the record). Despite that minor complaint, this is a great album, and I personally rank it below 'Deliver Us' and above 'And the Cannons...'.

This particular band by the name of Legend is a new one to me; previously, I'd only heard the American band that released the cult album 'From the Fjords' back in '79. 'The Dark Place' is the first album I've heard by this old NWOBHM band, and based on this, I'd really like to hear the rest of their albums. Every single song on this album is a winner, and to be honest, at the flip of a coin, I could have ranked this album above 'The Holy Empire'. I've heard that it's hard to mess up NWOBHM, and in my experience that's been remarkably true, but I can't imagine that it's easy to make music this good. I'd like to get my hands on a physical copy of this album, because right now I only have it downloaded from Amazon. :( Anyway, highly recommended.

I just got Witch Cross's new one yesterday, so it still needs some more time before I can properly review it, but as it stands right now, I think I prefer 'Axe to Grind' ever so slightly to 'Fit for Fight'. It might be the vocals, which are grittier, or just the songwriting, which strikes me as being a bit more memorable. Either way, it shows an old-school band doing new music the right way: no pandering to trends, no experimenting with silly modern ideas, just honest heavy metal played from the heart. And that's just how I like it.

Other good albums:

Voivod - Target Earth
Manilla Road - Mysterium
Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:01 pm 

Alright, Gorguts has always been one of those bands that had songs that I liked, but I'd never really gotten into. They are always just there, one of those death metal bands that's far more interesting than the typical metal band, but as a fan more of black and thrash metal, I never really clicked with them. That was until now, I've listened to Colored Sands a few times already, and this has got to be one of the best things I've heard in ages. I haven't felt an impact like this from an album in at least a year or two. Definitely going to go back and re-introduce myself to the older material.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:55 pm 

Luctus - Stotis

Pretty straight forward Thrashy Black Metal with some Punk thrown in, but I've found it very memorable and enjoyable. The vocals remind me of Negura Bunget

Last Sacrament - Enantiodromia

This is some heavy, mid-paced Old School influenced Death Metal with some crushing doomy Incantation-like parts. They do display their technical proficiency in some riffs, but mostly in their mind blowing solos but not in the showoff-ish sort of way.
I think its an excellent debut

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:21 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Alright, Gorguts has always been one of those bands that had songs that I liked, but I'd never really gotten into. They are always just there, one of those death metal bands that's far more interesting than the typical metal band, but as a fan more of black and thrash metal, I never really clicked with them. That was until now, I've listened to Colored Sands a few times already, and this has got to be one of the best things I've heard in ages. I haven't felt an impact like this from an album in at least a year or two. Definitely going to go back and re-introduce myself to the older material.

I have very similar sentiment about it. Colored Sands is awe-inspiring and before this I never claimed to be much of a fan of Gorguts.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next