Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 am 

What can we expect of this new album of Broken Hope, Without the Masterous Vocals of Joe Ptacek (R.I.P)

The album will be named "Omen of Disease" and will be released in September, Through Century Media Records.

Quote:

BROKEN HOPE has revealed the title of their 6th studio release as Omen of Disease. The album title--created by chief-lyricist, Jeremy Wagner--is also an actual album track, which marks the first official BROKEN HOPE "title track" since their 1991 debut album, Swamped in Gore.

Jeremy Wagner comments about this upcoming release:

"Some time ago, a festering death metal prophecy indicated something sick and brutal was coming back from the dead. The malignant signs became evident when BROKEN HOPE first resurrected from the grave and then went on tour. A more sinister foreboding followed when BROKEN HOPE wrote a new death metal album for the world to hear. Today, I'm a harbinger, here to alert everyone of a 'death metal omen' that is upon us...I speak of the new BROKEN HOPE album, 'Omen of Disease.' The album title itself reeks of a musical offering that is nothing short of gruesome. 'Omen of Disease' will be released to infect everyone worldwide this summer. I promise: this death metal album is a most savage, feral, pestilential, and lethal creation. You've been warned..." -- Jeremy Wagner (April 2013)

Omen of Disease was recorded between two studios: drums were exclusively recorded at Belle City Sound in Racine, WI with engineer Chris Wisco (LAZARUS A.D., JUNGLE ROT, ORIGIN, GORGASM), and the remaining bulk of the album was completed at Mercenary Digital Studios in Zion, IL with engineer Scott Creekmore (BROKEN HOPE, DIRGE WITHIN, PUTRID PILE, LIVIDITY).

Omen of Disease is slated for a worldwide release in late summer 2013 via Century Media Records. Stay tuned for more details about this new BROKEN HOPE album coming soon!

http://www.brokenhope.com/NEWS/NEWS.html

September is so Far away!!!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am 

A new album without Ptacek (RIP), Stanek and Griffin??? :ugh:

I am very doubtful but still give a listen...

"You make it easy."

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
A new album without Ptacek (RIP), Stanek and Griffin??? :ugh:

I am very doubtful but still give a listen...

Not surprising, since Stanek was kicked out of the band and Griffin is touring with Lamb of God, as a manager or something. Personally, Im really excited for it.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:59 am 

Same here. without Joe. im really curious..

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:30 pm 

Cue another interested for the curiosity factor.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm 

This could be good, definitely one of the more under rated death metal bands from the 90's will definitely check this out.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 pm 

They played a new song at MDF. Sounded good, especially the slam section.

Hopefully the rest of the album holds up

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:37 pm 

Eh...

I thought their early stuff was ok, and I really liked their 2 latest albums, but when I saw them live for the first time on their reunion tour a half year ago, I wasn't too impressed. I really disliked the new vocalist's vocals. Their bassist was a cocky douche who was spitting everywhere on stage. Their drummer played dumbed down parts of the actual drum parts.

I'll still check out the new album but my expectations aren't high.

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm 

Man I absolutely loved Loathing. I think it was the first death metal album I was really obsessed with, and even without Ptacek's awesome vocals on this new one, I'm still pretty excited.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:16 pm 

I absolutely love Broken Hope!!! they are killer as fuck!! very excited! i hope its not to tech though, bit over the tech scene

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 pm 

As a general rule, I never consider "only the original lineup is real!" a valid argument.

That said, I am highly skeptical of this reformation without the involvement of Brian Griffin (and I'm not talking about an anthropomorphic dog here). His material is the more interesting of the two main songwriters', and helped make Repulsive Conception, Loathing, and especially Grotesque Blessings what they are (e.g. "Wolf Among Sheep").

I'm not saying that it should only be one guy over the other-it's the dichotomy of Griffin's tech death mixed with Wagner's more straightforward brutal death that gives Broken Hope it's unique niche sound. Without Griffin, this is lost (and that's not accounting for Ptacek's distinct vocals-but nothing can be done about that at this point).

I'll investigate this with trepidation when it's released, but I'm not overtly excited about it.
Obliteration

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am 

Yeah, that's never been an issue I've held up with any potency to it either, it's utterly ridiculous to assume that it's got to be the originals or it's not worth it. I'd rather have them around making new material than be a distant memory of what used to be any day of the week.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 am 

James Murphy is mixing/mastering it, heres a little studio footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00qYqdoKwA

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 am 

Comes out mid october, but even bigger, is Wes Benscoter is doing the cover.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:45 pm 

I can't wait. :hyper:

I had my doubts at first too but I changed my mind as soon as I saw Broken Hope live last year. They OWNED that fucking show. No other band played as well as they did, even with Obituary, Jungle Rot and Decrepit Birth on the same tour.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm 

Im expecting only good from this band. Perfect.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am 

How sound the new stuff?

Brutal/slam or brutal Loathing style???

"You make it easy."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm 

HOLY SMOKES!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
As a general rule, I never consider "only the original lineup is real!" a valid argument.

That said, I am highly skeptical of this reformation without the involvement of Brian Griffin (and I'm not talking about an anthropomorphic dog here). His material is the more interesting of the two main songwriters', and helped make Repulsive Conception, Loathing, and especially Grotesque Blessings what they are (e.g. "Wolf Among Sheep").

I'm not saying that it should only be one guy over the other-it's the dichotomy of Griffin's tech death mixed with Wagner's more straightforward brutal death that gives Broken Hope it's unique niche sound. Without Griffin, this is lost (and that's not accounting for Ptacek's distinct vocals-but nothing can be done about that at this point).

I'll investigate this with trepidation when it's released, but I'm not overtly excited about it.

This was exactly what I was going to come in here and say. Griffin's and Wagner's style together is what shaped the band. You could clearly hear and could tell which guitarist wrote which song. without Griffin. I just don't see how it'll be nearly as good as it could've been. I obviously can give a pass on the vocals due to the circumstances surrounding that.

But really I can't see BH being nearly as good. Unless by some offchance Wagner or the other new guitarist stepped up to fill Griffin's writing roll to infuse that tech-yet-catchy writing into the more osdm chug of their other material.

love the artwork, but I'll have to hear some shit before I even get excited.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 pm 

That is one of the coolest album covers I've seen in a long time. Damn.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm 

shouvince wrote:

HOLY SMOKES!

this is pure beauty... this will be awesome..

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:34 pm 

Broken Hope, Carcass and Brutality all releasing new material.
If youd have told me that ten years ago I wouldnt have believed it. Crazy year for Death Metal.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm 

JoeBlakkk wrote:
Broken Hope, Carcass and Brutality all releasing new material.
If youd have told me that ten years ago I wouldnt have believed it. Crazy year for Death Metal.

Dont forget Gorguts, Demigod, Dissect and many more awesome old bands. will or have released some stuff this year...

WhiteGlint
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:47 pm 

shouvince wrote:

HOLY SMOKES!

Cover art looks good. Too bad it's gonna suck without Joe.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 pm 

The artwork looks like the Brundlefly:

Spoiler: show

Nice artwork, still skeptical of the music sans Griffin. Not totally writing it off, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Obliteration

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:47 pm 

I used to have most of their discograpy (less Bowels) but, because they did a good job of boring me, I ended up either trading or selling those discs some time ago. I will say however that I remember all that was novel about their most interesting album, Grotesque Blessings, being written by the guitarist who is no longer with them, so that doesn't bode well. "Wolf Among Sheep," "Necro Fellatio," "Christ Consumed," they were all good and Griffin-penned (I think). What ever happened to him? (Archives aren't turning up much of anything.)

edit: haha how did I not notice this before.
Spoiler: show

double edit: FirebathDan said pretty much everything I just said, but like two months ago. This is what happens when you don't reread a thread.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:02 am 

Last wednesday...

BROKEN HOPE: OFFICIAL LISTENING PARTY & BURGER RELEASE!!!

*BE THE FIRST TO HEAR "OMEN of DISEASE" IN IT'S ENTIRETY!!!

*FEAST ON KUMA's NEW "BROKEN HOPE BURGER"!!!

*EVENT STARTS AT 8PM!!!

*WHERE: KUMA'S CORNER--2900 W. BELMONT AVE., CHICAGO, IL. 60618

Any US mate was there?

"You make it easy."

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 am 

Kind of ironic/lame that of all places that the new song premieres, its on the radio. People on facebook are complaining, since they dont have Sirius.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:48 am 

I caught the stream and wasn't too impressed. I don't know if it was just the stream but the production seemed way off. Guitar seemed buried beneath the bass and the vocals did not sound good.

Songwise, was severely lacking the riffs and catchiness I expect from Broken Hope.

I've enjoyed the current lineup the 2 times I've seen em but I don't know about this release.....

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 am 

Oh? You don't sound too positive. The band will be putting up the song for streaming later today so hopefully I'll check it out then.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 am 

Can't wait... :finger:

"You make it easy."

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:06 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Oh? You don't sound too positive. The band will be putting up the song for streaming later today so hopefully I'll check it out then.

Yeah, I don't know man. I'm willing to give it another chance seeing as I was listening to it on my TV (my dish has a channel with Sirius/XM stations) but yeah, wasn't digging what I heard

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:23 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/bro ... h-mechanic

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 pm 

Sounds better than the first listen, but the production still seems off. I never noticed how much higher Damien's vocals are than Joe's

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:43 pm 

It's not bad and competently performed, but very derivative. Sounds like it could be from any number of BDM bands inspired by Broken Hope rather than something uniquely theirs, although I'm willing to concede that's perhaps from the by-the-numbers vibe I'm feeling with the vocals. As a filler song it could work, but I certainly hope this isn't intended to be one of the better cuts on the album.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
It's not bad and competently performed, but very derivative. Sounds like it could be from any number of BDM bands inspired by Broken Hope rather than something uniquely theirs, although I'm willing to concede that's perhaps from the by-the-numbers vibe I'm feeling with the vocals. As a filler song it could work, but I certainly hope this isn't intended to be one of the better cuts on the album.

Exactly. I mainly listen to Repulsive Conception because I love the catchiness of the riffs and leads, and the song is definitely lacking that. Hopefully they aren't just trying to make a statement like "yeah we're just as brutal as anyone else!!!" because then the album will fail

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm 

It's extremely obvious to me that this retains the classic Broken Hope sound but .. Sigh - I don't know what I was expecting with the vocals, it's just not the same without Joe :(

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 pm 

As I expected; competently preformed, mediocre brutal death, all Wagner-isms, no Griffin-isms. Somebody should've picked up the tech-y catchiness of Griffin in his absence. On the plus side, the vocals fit the mold quite nicely.

Oh well. It's not like it's terrible or anything, and I'll likely buy it if I have some extra scratch lying about.
Obliteration

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:11 pm 

Well I thought that sounded like broken hope for sure. I enjoyed how faithful it was to their sound. The vox is the weakest link but not bad, no one can fill that void methinks. Overall I enjoyed it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:37 am 

I hope they weren't thinking that they ought to release their "best" song first up because if they did and this is the result, then my enthusiasm for the album is mild at best. The song wasn't too strong in my opinion, severely lacking in balls. We can hope for better songs on the rest of the album. Will still check out the album when it comes out.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next