Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:04 am 

Please refer to this post before going any further.

So I've realised lately that I definitely have a thing for atmospheric sludge and post-metal combined with alternative, melodic metalcore, and/or post-hardcore. My top obsessions lately have been the likes of Cult of Luna, later Underoath, later Norma Jean, VYGR, Devil Sold His Soul, and the like. Of course, not all of those bands necessarily fit every element of the above criteria, but you can kind of get the idea. Basically, I'm looking for more acts with crushingly heavy and dirty riffing and soaring solos (á la those heard in Cult of Luna's "I: the Weapon" and throughout VYGR's material). I'm not really looking for doom though. It's not unwelcome, but I've been in the mood for some more energetic stuff. This is kind of where Underoath, Norma Jean, and Devil Sold His Soul come in. Metalcore or alternative, in a sense, but darker, and not so poppy.

Can anybody think of anything that incorporates the best of both?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:00 pm 

Mouth of the Architect or Rosetta perhaps? It's really a strange combo. those styles don't really match esp the later eras of Underoath and Norma Jean. I was going to start in on you saying that I hope that you know sludge isn't some sort of offshoot of post-metal or metalcore. but you seem to know that.

try those two and maybe Generation of Vipers.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 pm 

Have any particular songs to recommend?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:48 pm 

Definitely seconding Rosetta. Try the opening track for their latest album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71zAeUMdBM

You might like Fall of Efrafa too, although they're not as chaotic (thanks to SLK for mentioning them in another thread):
http://alertaantifascistarecords.bandca ... wsla-lp-cd

Finally, there's Stay Here. I stumbled across them when looking up the Swans song of the same name on Youtube. Unfortunately, they only have two songs out right now.
http://stayhere.bandcamp.com/

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm 

Kind of a long shot but try Burst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWCG5oPu3U4

If you like Fall of Effrafa check out the Alpinist/Masakari split.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm 

Mouth of the Architect is all right, much more on the slow side of things, and not as aggressive as I would like. I could see myself trying them again when I am in the mood for something more atmospheric than extremely heavy.

Generation of Vipers, on the other hand, was an excellent suggestion. They are perhaps the heaviest band playing a faster interpretation of sludge that I've ever heard, and they err on the ominous side of their post-metal influences. I like it so much that I went straight to their Bandcamp page, ordered the CD version of Howl and Filth, visited Discogs, and stole the white/black marble variant of its LP version for $17 (I would have ordered it from Red Witch Recordings, but they've already sold out of the more limited pressings).

Clayman, Satan, I'll get to your suggestions momentarily.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 pm 

Glad I could help you out on that!

Oh and I thought of this a bit ago that should fit in very nicely for you:

Mare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4221CYMzG1w

not the black metal band but the post whatever loud, agressive, yet pensive and glittery at moments. this is their only release.

if you liked Generation of Vipers there is a chance you might like the August Prophecy... old ass metalcore band that was very sludgy based with some odd structure/timing. I can't ever find anything on youtube so you'll have to look around for that cause it's not that they were very popular or welknown. they only did one ep which was called Five Endevors in Self Murder. I enjoy it, I got it on both cd and vinyl.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am 

Rosetta leans a bit more on the post-rock side of things than I prefer, but I still enjoy their latest album more than enough to consider purchasing it. Can someone please indicate to me which pressing of the vinyl Translation Loss is currently selling? Their store is really rather bare-bones, and lacks some of the critical information I'm looking for.

On that note, are there any other sites besides Discogs, eBay, and Amazon, where one can look for people selling and re-selling vinyl records? I'm wondering if I can find any limited colour copies of Rosetta's A Determinism of Morality and/or Year of No Light's Ausserwelt.

Fall of Efrafa... something about their execution seems uninteresting to me. It's like they're either playing standard-tempo hardcore punk, or slowing things down to near-funeral doom levels. It's good stuff, but meh.

Stay Here, on the other hand, definitely piqued my interest. They're like Cult of Luna during their mid-era (when they were heaviest), but a bit more melancholy. I like it. I like it a lot. I went ahead and purchased the digital version of their 7", and I will certainly be clamouring for more. Have they already sold out of the actual, physical release of said 7"? Their Facebook implies as such, but it's not very clear, since there is no indication on their Bandcamp that it was ever up for sale.

Mare are okay, but again, they're a bit slow and plodding for what I'm going for, and otherwise, I found them very meh.

Burst (at least, on Origo) are a pretty good example of the more uptempo stuff I'm looking for. Not very sludgy, but I do have a soft spot for hardcore-influenced progressive/post-metal. I'm not sure right now whether or not it has won me over to a purchase. I will have to hear more.

I haven't found anything by The August Prophecy yet, apart from samples on Amazon. From what I hear, it actually reminds me a bit of Underoath's early material, but more aggressive. That is to say that I'm not crazy about it. I'm a quality whore, and never was all that enthusiastic about lo-fi recordings and really sparse hardcore screeches. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

By the way, I have also stumbled upon this here band, The End of Six Thousand Years. Very strong material. It is exceedingly rare to find a melodic death/sludge/metalcore hybrid, much less one that meshes so well. However, it appears that the two labels that were distributing their material have closed up shop, and there is almost nothing available on Discogs, eBay, or Amazon. I have gone ahead and purchased it digitally, but does anyone have any idea where else I might find their material in physical form? :P

Also, it turned out that the Discogs seller had mistakenly listed his copy of Generation of Vipers' Howl and Filth under the wrong colour: he only had the standard black edition. Fortunately, I happened upon the Inherent Records store and purchased the more limited white/black marble edition. SAFE! :D

Really appreciating the recs, guys. Keep them coming, if you have any more. :D

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 pm 

I actually though I was way off the mark with Burst after seeing your second post but glad you enjoyed them, Origo and Lazarus Bird are both pretty solid. I'd also say check out Masakari and Alpinist anyways despite your indifference to Fall of Effrafa though, it's the same alternating doom/post tinged hardcore formula but both play much more convincingly than the lackluster FoE in my opinion.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
. I'm a quality whore, and never was all that enthusiastic about lo-fi recordings and really sparse hardcore screeches.

Then don't be asking for things that have a sludge quality to them cause that's just about the exact sound of sludge.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 pm 

Downfall of Gaia might be of interest to you as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLx-DFT_ljI

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:06 pm 

Alpinist and Masakari sound somewhat similar, as if they're sister bands; it's actually rather fitting that they would release a split. The former seems to favour a more black metal-influenced ominousness to go with their speed (is this, perhaps, what you call crust punk? I ask, because I have no experience in that genre, apart from how it is formally defined), whereas the latter is more concerned with the tortured melancholy of doom. I daresay that both felt a bit awkward in their execution at first, but they did grow on me some. I'll have to listen to the entire split, and maybe some of their other material later.

Downfall of Gaia actually reminded me quite a bit more of certain post-black metal bands, like Fen, Austere, and mid-era Alcest. It's not what I'm really looking for, but is it awesome anyway? Damn right it is. I'll look into more of their stuff later, for sure. \m/

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Gatherum wrote:
. I'm a quality whore, and never was all that enthusiastic about lo-fi recordings and really sparse hardcore screeches.

Then don't be asking for things that have a sludge quality to them cause that's just about the exact sound of sludge.

I beg to differ. There is a difference between sounding sludgy and sounding muffled or distant. Most of the sludge I listen to is heavy and dirty in the clearest way possible. :P

Last edited by Schmengie on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm 

then it's not sludge. I don't think you know what sludge is.

this is sludge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUepb3V98g

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 am 

So what do you call Cult of Luna, Isis, and VYGR, then? All three are also post-metal bands, but I would certainly doubt any claim that they are not sludge.

That's a lot better, by the way. I wouldn't even call it lo-fi.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 am 

literally just post-metal. just because they have some albums that are heavier and dirty doesn't make them sludge. Isis's only album that would be close would be the Mosquito Control ep, nothing else. I love Cult of Luna but they are basically like a really heavy Mogwai. VYGR I have no idea who they are. Sludge gets tossed around way too much for so many bands that actually aren't. and it's basically if they don't sound similar to Grief, or Dystopia it really isn't. ear marks are those higher squaking vocals, immensely dirty guitars and bass, and the actual riffs. They are all meat headed ugly. there is no proggression to them, there is no flittery jitters melodic guitar parts, No clean anything.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I love Cult of Luna but they are basically like a really heavy Mogwai.

Okay, and...? The fact that it incorporates stuff from other genres does not automatically disqualify it from being sludge. No, I would not call Cult of Luna "pure" sludge, since we both know that they are definitely more than that, but they are still a sludge metal band, and pretty much have been since their inception.

By that same measure, there are some post-metal bands that qualify as sludge, and some that don't. Jesu, Uneven Structure, and mid-era Agalloch are examples of the latter (though all three also have a lot of other stuff going on; admittedly, I don't think I have any acts that are "just" post-metal).

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
ear marks are those higher squaking vocals, immensely dirty guitars and bass, and the actual riffs. They are all meat headed ugly.

Perhaps apart from the "squaking" vocals, this essentially describes Cult of Luna in very basic terms.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 pm 

Cult of Luna isn't sludge no matter how you cut it. none of those others are sludge either. now I know you don't know what sludge is.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Cult of Luna isn't sludge no matter how you cut it. none of those others are sludge either. now I know you don't know what sludge is.

Whatever you say, bro.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 am 

CoL is definitely "atmospheric sludge", that's a pretty accepted term in fact. Whatever the master SLK says reeks of oldmetalguyness who's too stubborn to admit that musical genres are evolving beyond his comprehension, cool it down King Asshole.

Gatherum, check Callisto's early releases. Also Morne and Rorcal for post metal/sludge goodness.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 pm 

So I looked into Callisto. Admittedly, there was a time, long ago, when they were in my library, but I didn't remember much of their music because it just didn't seem to stand out to me the way that acts like Cult of Luna and Isis did. And I can see why, since Callisto really sort of feels like the lesser cousin of the former, having all of the same attributes without the masterful execution. That is, until they hit Providence. Now, considering the low rating this album has in the archive, this may become yet another point of contention between myself and most in this metal community (though that is not definite, since the score is only formed by two reviews as of the time of this writing), but, ironically enough, I feel that Callisto proves to be more interesting as they become less heavy. But then, maybe that's because, contrary to implications made, I am very okay with softer music sometimes. In the context of this thread, their latter-day material is definitely not what I am looking for, but that sentiment changes in the grand scheme. I was expecting their latest effort to be some boring, monotonous drone release (as is implied by the aforementioned two reviews), but when I take my own aural gander, I discover some credibly atmospheric, post-rock-influenced, progressive easy listening, with your occasional sludge outburst. And I'm definitely okay with that. Maybe those two reviews were written in the aftermath of the disappointment that came to those fans, who were expecting another crushing sludge metal record. It happens. Pre-listening expectations really can skew one's feelings towards a work that they would otherwise have found listenable, or at least, not as repulsive as they let on. Oh well.

Will hit Morne and Rorcal soon. :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:18 am 

Actually, and taking the chance of sounding similar to SLK although I'm not saying the same thing, Providence is pretty much devoid of any sludge. It's basically a heavier sounding post-rock album, not unlike the weight of say, Red Sparowes.

Callisto is decent, not spectacular but pretty solid. Noir is definitely their best effort. I love how they use saxophone, glockenspiel and theremin in that album to give it their own spin. Providence is just bland post-rock really, and that's why it has negative reviews, not because it isn't heavy (well, maybe just a little bit).

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm 

Latest The Ocean's album comes to mind. They used to be really atmospheric/symphonic sludge/post metal, but I heard a couple of songs os their latest album and it seems they shifted to metalcore...

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

iriki wrote:
Latest The Ocean's album comes to mind. They used to be really atmospheric/symphonic sludge/post metal, but I heard a couple of songs os their latest album and it seems they shifted to metalcore...

I actually have the acrylic CD box and LP releases of that on order already. That said, great suggestion. :)

They haven't shifted to metalcore, though. It's still progressive metal, albeit a bit more energetic.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Sludge, by definition, is a fusion of hardcore and doom metal. Although you should already know that.

But on topic:

I recommemd you check out Bleaklow's "The Sunless Country", Bossk's ".1/.2" compilation (although that might be more lax than you're ideally looking for), Noûs' "Eobiont", and also Trudger's "Motionless In Dirt".

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm 

yea none of th you know what... .whatever.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 pm 

Maybe Old Man Gloom.

Also, this might be a longshot, but I've recently really been enjoying *Shels. Got some really cool elements but it might have too much of a post-rock atmosphere for what you're after.

osborn89419
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 am 

Maybe way off base here, but try the new All Pigs Must Die album. Can't link well from my phone because I suck.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 am 

Haha and speaking of Rosetta I just found out that Mike Armine is a teacher at my girlfriends old highschool. These kids are lucky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gQbaUOT1c

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 pm 

Morne has an interesting moment occasionally, but their songs plod on for a bit too long and too repetitively too much of the time. And it isn't the good kind of post-metal repetition that builds to something greater. I don't dislike it, but it's very meh.

I give more credit to Rorcal for having more variance. Világvége begins with a similar sludge/doom song, only to take a sharp dive into black metal territory from the end of that song onward. It's okay, but pure (or, in this case, semi-pure) black metal was never all that interesting to me structurally; I prefer the blackened sludge interpretation by Planks.

Sorry for how long it's taking me to address these; I promise I'm trying my best. :P

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 pm 

Bleaklow and Bossk don't do a lot that sets them very far apart from most post-rock bands, apart from the slight edge they have in heaviness due to the sludge influence. Still, this is some rather enjoyably catchy material. In both cases, though, the compositions are a bit long for what they're doing. I suppose you could say that I prefer somewhat shorter, tighter songs (as in, somewhere between the five- and ten-minute mark, though this figure is by no means absolute, especially when dealing with metalcore groups). I dunno. Might be worth owning.

Noûs, on the other hand, are a bit more aggressive. I can appreciate the way their vocalist can alternate between a thrashy shout, bellowing death growl, and hardcore punk scream. Apart from that, though, this feels rather run-of-the-mil (despite the "Experimental Sludge Metal" label that we have them labelled as). Typical sludge mid-tempo, guitars are neither the lightest, nor the heaviest, in their genre, and there isn't much of a climax to speak of. I could enjoy this for being nothing more or less than what it is when I'm in the right mood, but otherwise, this doesn't really wow me.

I'll have to get back to you on Trudger.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 am 

So I have been partaking in Old Man Gloom's No.

Must. Have.

Putting aside the unexplainable amusement I get at the title, this disjointed amalgamation of crushing guitars, piercing noise, anguished screams and yells, and soft ambience, is just the kind of hard-hitting stuff that gets me off. It's like Altar of Plagues' Teethed Glory & Injury in principle (albeit without any black metal influence), and sounds like a more experimental and straightforward Cult of Luna. Parts of it even seem somewhat like what Underoath would presumably have been had they continued unwaveringly on the darker, heavier path they stepped on with Ø (Disambiguation).

...Well, maybe that last comparison is a stretch. The point is that No has all the right elements in all the right places.

Definitely considering a buy, but I'm holding off for the moment because I need to figure out a cost-effective way to get my Polk Monitor series speakers shipped here. Definitely soon though.

*shels... certainly a post-rock band. But probably one of the most interesting post-rock bands I've ever come across. Frankly, there's too much to address here: from the choirs, to the brass, to the sheer atmospheric quality, this is some amazing stuff. I suppose I should expect nothing less from a supergroup containing former members of so many British underground music groups. I'll have to look into more.

Trudger: sludge metal with some pronounced death metal influence (and vocals). Not bad, but I'm very on-the-fence about it. They're a young band; I'll wait to see what else they come up with.

Hmm... how about some more metalcore-influenced suggestions? I'd like to hear what you guys can come up with in the context of this thread. :)

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 am 

So I'm still all up into the sludge right now, and would like some more suggestions. However, I didn't want to start yet another thread for sludge metal since I already have this one, so I decided to revive it. But, I would like to shift its focus a little bit.

I have just gotten back into Alice in Chains, who are foremost thought of as an alternative/heavy metal/grunge band. However, their most recent records have had a pronounced doom/sludge metal/stoner rock section, and I have to say that I find the whole mix to be quite intriguing. Rocks my socks off, while retaining something of a "classic" feel, but doesn't feel dated (I am really not much of a traditional heavy/doom metal fan, to be quite honest).

Alice in Chains are the primary motivator here, but I suppose that I'll also mention that I feel some (pronounced) love for S:t Erik, due in no small part to their psychedelic take on sludgy doom.

(By the way, sorry for the quadruple post.)

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

Take a look at this Crowbar song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDtKH3lgyk

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 am 

I agree with Crowbar. Since Odd Fellows Rest they're injecting some Alice in Chains and Type O Negative feel in lot of their compositions.

Besides that check out Plastic Green Head by Trouble. It oozes with AiC atmosphere.

Also check out Hangman's Chair from France. Great sludge/doom with massive AiC feel.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:54 am 

Dont know much about AiC but Iron Monkey is mandatory sludge in my opinion really energetic yet heavier than a ton of crusty bricks. Others; Acid Bath, Eyehategod, Bongripper, Noothgrush, Grief, Cough and Corrupted those are probably my favorites.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 am 

Following your AiC line of enquiry, I got a bit of a AiC vibe from Confessor's 2nd album "Unraveled" - Scott Jeffreys' voice had become more focussed compared to the shrill histrionics of the debut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUAzn2gPDoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-nRS__G9o

Also, Dennis Cornelius-era Revelation may be of interest, especially the fantastic (and overlooked) "Frozen Masque" EP/demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wEo21UQOo

ThatGuyYork
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:03 am 

While this might not exactly be along the lines of Alice In Chains, Sasquatch is a pretty good Grunge/Stoner Rock mix that you might be interested in.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 am 

I can off the top of my head can think of only one band that fuses Sludge Metal with Metalcore, but I'm not sure if you already have heard of them. The band is Kingdom Of Sorrow. They seem like the most obvious suggestion someone would make without looking into the Post-Rock/Metal spectrum of Sludge.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 pm 

What about Mastodon? Their earlier material is some sort of progressive sludgy metalcore or whatever. I don't like anything before Crack the Skye but u might just like em

diamond_famicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:41 pm 

have you listened to neurosis's through silver in blood? (or anything by them)
also, you mention norma jean and what you might want to hear, so I think of zao's liberate te ex inferis

both moderately sludgy and really heavy

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next