Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:08 am 

Lars is an easy target because he plays in Metallica, and I dont think he is as terrible as every one says. I saw Metallica live not too long ago and they were pretty solid. He sounded ok on "...And Justice for All."

As far as crappy drummers go:
I'll have to agree with the first post about PAUL MAZURKIEWICZ, he still sounds the same as the first couple of Cannibal Corpse albums, he never progressed as a drummer, and his blasts are kinda weak.

Another bad drummer in my opinion is DONALD TARDY from Obituary, slow and boring in my opinion, nuff said, I never heard him play anything that stands out, but Obituary are a slower paced band with their music, so maybe he doesnt just because it wouldn't fit their style.

Best Drummers:

Dave Lombardo - Yeah, he's amazing. He chooses not to play blast beats much, but he has before on songs like Supremist, he can pull them off pretty well, other than that, his fills & everything else are great. I love to just watch that guy play, Any drum cam that shows him playing Slayer are great.

Pete Sandoval - Listen to the Formulas Fatal to the Flesh album and you know why he rules.

George Kollias - What can I say that hasnt already been said? Just incredible, insane drummer.

I know there are a lot more great drummers, like Mike Smith, Derek Roddy etc, but I'd be here all day if I named them all

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:39 am 

Another really good one is the guy from German Funeral Doom band Ahab. Playing slow, and accurate can be pretty difficult, and he kills it.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 am 

Always annoys me that people list Lars Ulrich as one of the worst drummers ever. He was a thrash metal drummer, for crying out loud. Have you guys heard any of "classic" thrash albums from bands that weren't Metallica or Slayer? Almost every thrash band had a shit drummer. Slop was the trademark sound of the genre. Ever heard Pleasure to Kill, or Morbid Visions? Christ. People always instantly start comparing Ulrich to guys like Lombardo, Hoglan and even Portnoy... context, nukkas!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 am 

The drums on Pleasure to Kill and Morbid Visions rule. I'd take those over a Portnoy or a Hoglan any day. :P

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 pm 

Oh, totally. They're both favourites of mine, esp. the Sepultura album. But my point is no one criticises Igor Cavalera or Ventor of being shit drummers (in any case, Cavalera was one of the best in the genre by the mid-90s) but lump shit on Ulrich like there's no tomorrow.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Necronipple wrote:

Yeah I should have mentioned those as well. I can't think of album where he WASN'T awesome.

The album is good, but the drumming...

I've never heard them before, but will check it out tonight!

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 am 

dunkelheit616 wrote:
The worst drummer I have ever heard is Capricornus from Graveland. He can't even stay in time on Immortal Pride, he makes a load of mistakes on Thousand Swords and Following the Voice of Blood. And don't even ask about In the Glare of Burning Churches!

Despite this he has an interesting galloping technique in his tracks and the overall execution is interesting to listen to, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left the band because of his mistakes. Quite strange though since Graveland is one of my favourites. Stranger still, all the albums I mentioned are black metal classics.

As I said on antoher thread, Capricornus did not play the drums on Immortal Pride. The person to blame for programming out-of-sync drum machine on this release is Darken - unless someone proves that Capricornus recorded those drum machine lines.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 am 

My three biggest drumming influences are Derek Roddy, Gene Hoglan, and Dave Lombardo, so by default I consider them the best drummers I've ever heard in metal music.

As for worst, and I'm not just saying this because they're a deathcore band, but Jeff Tenney formerly of Winds of Plague, particularly on Decimate the Weak. He's not technique or ability wise a terrible player, but he cannot write a drum part to save his life. That album has some of the most lifeless, stale, boring as hell drums I've ever heard on a metal album.

Also, anyone that says that Lars Ulrich is the worst drummer ever has no idea what they're talking about.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Warlordian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm 

Well, I don't really care for the worst drummers, but the best for me are Mark Zonder (Warlord, Fates Warning), Randy Foxe (Manilla Road) and Cozy Powell (Black Sabbath, Rainbow etc).

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 am 

Martin "Marthus" Skaroupka (Cradle of Filth, Inner Fear)- amazing coordination, speed, tightness and unique unorthodox cymbal work. God Status.

Nicholas Barker (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir)- Mechanical machine. God Status.

Hellhammer (Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir)- Groove, Speed, precision, God Status.

Inferno (Behemoth)- Immediate God Status.

Hannes Grossmann (Obscura)- Octopus

Flo Monieur (Cryptopsy)- Inhuman

George Kollias (Nile)- Speed, speed

Derek Roddy (Nile)- Speed, heavy as hell (Nile- Black Seeds of Vengeance)

Tom Hunting (Exodus)- IMO best thrash drummer, way better than Lombardo. Highly underrated. Thrash God Status.

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)- Devilish beats, Overrated Thrash metal drummer. God Status?

Charlie Benante (Anthrax)- One of the better Thrash drummers. Tight playing, gets better over the years. God Status?

Steve Flynn (Atheist)- God status

Gene Hoglan (DEATH)- God status, groove, really tight playing, double-bass mastermind.

Richard Christy (DEATH)- Crazy beats and drum work. God Status?

Geeze who else?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 am 

Considering your screen name, I'm surprised you didn't mention Fotis Benardo.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Considering your screen name, I'm surprised you didn't mention Fotis Benardo.

True, I was indecisive on whether to put him or not. He is a really good drummer. I think he did his best on Communion.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm 

He's not the best or anything, but one of my favorites has always been Cozy Powell. He's like a flashier John Bonham.

brennan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:53 pm 

I think that there is a gross abuse of the double bass within the realms of lots of contemporary metal generas. I hate seeing the all the toms and various symbals so thoroughly neglected. I do really dislike lars ulrich's drumming as well. plus he's a dick.
Anyway I'm a huge fan of the melvins and dale crover is fantastic. the melvins are such a tight group thanks to him.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 pm 

In my opinon,

Best drummer: Dave Lombardo

Worst drummer: that dumb fuck who plays for Wanking the Cadaver.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:46 pm 

I'm going to cast my vote for one of the best drummers for Proscriptor (Absu). His style is as unique and "out there" as his personality. I think the fact that he's a vocalist/drummer catches more peoples' attention than the actual style and craft of his drumming itself. Learning to play "Highland Tyrant Attack" was so much fun, especially the part with the falsetto screams. Some of his other things he has played, I couldn't play if I practiced for a year straight.

I think Nick Barker is a fantastic drummer, but is often overlooked because the bands he plays in...just aren't good. :lol: That's my opinion, anyway.

Worst drummer? Eh, too many to name. Though I guess the same could be said about the best drummer catagory.

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 am 

I forgot to include:

Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)

Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork/Sybreed)

Mario Duplantier (Gojira)

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am 

I'm casting my vote again for Jimmy Vanden Broek of Be'lakor. Really, if you haven't heard tracks like Countless Skies or fuckin' In Parting, get the hell on that boat, ladies and gentlemen. I saw someone in here complain about the general over-abuse of double bass in metal, well, if you wanna hear some really, really interesting cymbal work, you gotta give Be'lakor a swing. And it's a shame he hasn't been mentioned, and even though I think they went off the deep end quite awhile ago, Arch Enemy's Daniel Erlandsson is fantastic. Tuomas Vähämaa, Hateform's original drummer, played some really cool as shit on Dominance, too.

I am shamelessly promoting Be'lakor here, but seriously, get the fuck on it.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 am 

Jan Benkwitz is one of my favourite session drummers, Together with Killerich and Kollias. I think the most terrible one is Lars Ulrich.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 am 

brennan wrote:
I think that there is a gross abuse of the double bass within the realms of lots of contemporary metal generas. I hate seeing the all the toms and various symbals so thoroughly neglected.

That's true.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:04 am 

brennan wrote:
I think that there is a gross abuse of the double bass within the realms of lots of contemporary metal generas. I hate seeing the all the toms and various symbals so thoroughly neglected. I do really dislike lars ulrich's drumming as well. plus he's a dick.
Anyway I'm a huge fan of the melvins and dale crover is fantastic. the melvins are such a tight group thanks to him.

To me there is a gross abuse of being able to play, lately. I mean that's great if that's what your into, but to me a lot of that stuff seems like they are playing fast and complex stuff just to play fast and complex stuff. There seems to be no other motivation other than self-gratification amongst some of these bands.

This observations stems from my very limited knowledge of extreme metal, however.

brennan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:57 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
To me there is a gross abuse of being able to play, lately. I mean that's great if that's what your into, but to me a lot of that stuff seems like they are playing fast and complex stuff just to play fast and complex stuff. There seems to be no other motivation other than self-gratification amongst some of these bands.

I completely agree. Being a technically accomplished musician is no where near as important as being an inovative musician.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm 

A bump perhaps but I thought I'd share my views on this. I am a musician but I am not a drummer so that's my perspective.

Least favorites:

Lars Ulrich (Metallica). Yes my top two pick will be the same as the TS listed. Lars is just plain mediocre. Don't get me wrong, it has usually worked on albums. At least the pre new millennium ones but its never spectacular, its often sloppy and its rarely innovative. And he cheats - a lot. In later years it really shows on the albums as well. On Death magnetic for example he seems to have forgotten that he can actually use his toms. Most of the fills are just boring snare fills. Yawn!

Paul Mazurkiewicz (Cannibal Corpse). As good a reason as any to not listen to Cannibal Corpse at all. I find his drumming sterile. Its much of the same thing with no variation in either style, rhythm or dynamics.

Thomas Asklund (Dark Funeral, Dissection etc). Totally uncreative and unspectacular. No personality and nothing special. Sure, he is stable but in that very boring way. I'd rather play with a drummer who were technically inferior to Thomas but with more personality because he lacks just that - personality of any kind in his playing.

Favorites:

Charlie Benante (Anthrax). When We've Come for You All was released I ended up buying the album. Many a times after that I have wondered why. I don't particular like it. Sometimes I hit play and realize that its because of Charlies drumming on the album. I can't pin point what makes his drumming so great but its always the one thing that sticks out to me on an otherwise mediocre effort. I do feel however that he doesn't always get as much space as I'd like him to. While always being a good drummer I feel like he didn't get to show what he can do on Anthrax latest release Worship Music. The situation is reversed here. I like the album quite a bit and while the drumming is good it doesn't show Charlies full capacity.

Nick Barker (Cradle of Filth). I'm mostly familiar with his drumming from CoF so that's my reference point. Whenever I listen to the Barker era of CoF I'm always stricken by his drumming and how much he colours the bands sound.

Tobias Gustafsson (Vomitory). Again, I have a hard time defining what he actually does that I appreciate so much but I can basically get it down to whatever the beat he can make a death metal song have that extra drive and swing to it. Vomitory isn't rocket science but for me the drumming really puts it up there because it adds something vital to the sound that, if it weren't there, would drag the whole band down.

Mickey Dee (King Diamond). Yes, he's more famous for his Motörhead days but I'm not a big fan so I can't comment to much. However his playing on Abigail alone makes him a candidate for me. Sure, he's helped by it being an album where I find every instrument does exactly what they need and the result is astonishing. From just keeping the beat to adding flavour and colour to the songs to shine in parts. It is all pretty much excellent.

Brann Dailor (Mastodon). Always on the verge, earlier on, to play to much but for me always kept just inside the lines. He is now more restricted but chooses his parts better. Excellent drummer through and through. Great tachnique and has developed a very tasteful way of adding to a songs overall sound and feel.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm 

Paul from Cannibal Corpse is a great drummer, that's one band that understands that their music is relatively simple and their drummer should not simply try to increase his speed or technicality. The band would be unbearable if they got one of the session blasters to double the speed of their drumming.

Darren Cesca is one of the worst drummers I've heard, his drumming along with the awful production makes it hard to enjoy Arsis' "We Are the Nightmare". He's the drum equivalent of a guitar wanker who does nothing but scale runs and sweep picking at every opportunity possible, because every fourth measure needs to be an overindulgent fill.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm 

It's really impossible to say who's the "best" drummer, since it all comes down to taste. Phil Rudd is unable to play just about anything George Kollias does, is he a worse drummer for that? I think not.

What is at least somewhat objective is how versatile a musician is, and I think Marco Minnemann is hard to beat in that department.
Here he is playing with a big band, and here he is playing Slayer. Now how many others can do that? Maybe Vinnie Colaiuta can match it.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

Opus wrote:
It's really impossible to say who's the "best" drummer, since it all comes down to taste. Phil Rudd is unable to play just about anything George Kollias does, is he a worse drummer for that? I think not.

Which is why I, and others, have chosen to list our favorite drummers instead of using the problematic term "best drummers".

I probably should add Hellhammer to my list. He does stand out on record but first and foremost he impressed me a lot live. I had the chance of witnessing an Arcturus gig from just behind/beside his kit a few years ago. I was very impressed with his skills and technique. And he's a really nice guy on top of that.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm 

Mazurkiewicz is unobtrusive. Not imcompetent, but hardly particularly impressive either. A good fit for the band, in my opinion, and not even nearly in the same category with Tomas Asklund.

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm 

Worst is a no brainer...

Brian Mohler - Artery Eruption:

This guy makes Lars Ulrich sound like George Kollias. There's nothing salvageable about Artery Eruption as a band but this guy just seals their shittiness. His kit sounds like popcorn in a microwave and there's no rhyme or reason to any of the cacophony he's responsible for. I hate everyone in Artery Eruption but this guy in particular deserves nothing but seething contempt and hatred.

As far as best drummers go, I have quite a huge list...

Tomas Haake
Mario Duplantier
Dave Lombardo
George Kollias
Derek Roddy
Gene Hoglan
Dave Culross
Mike Smith
Gerry Flores
Flo Mournier
Brad Fincher
Forrest Stedt
Tomáš Corn
Ron Casey
Riky Mena
Ricky Meyers
Michael Butkiewicz
Sasha from Purulent Jacuzzi
Frost

There might be more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:14 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Darren Cesca is one of the worst drummers I've heard, his drumming along with the awful production makes it hard to enjoy Arsis' "We Are the Nightmare". He's the drum equivalent of a guitar wanker who does nothing but scale runs and sweep picking at every opportunity possible, because every fourth measure needs to be an overindulgent fill.

This. Cesca's drumming is completely distracting from the rest of the music on that album.

As for Paul Mazurkiewicz, I've always been a big fan of his simple yet powerful style. It's better than something like the drumming on We Are the Nightmare, which, along with the shitty production as Zodi said, is so overdone that it makes that album hard to enjoy.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

It doesn't really surprise me to see his name come up, because I've read the critical reviews of WAtN (including yours) and 'show-off drumming' is a common complaint. I think that entire album is awesome though, especially Cesca's performance. Plus I have to appreciate a guy who made a metal version of Castlevania II's soundtrack.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I'm going to cast my vote for one of the best drummers for Proscriptor (Absu). His style is as unique and "out there" as his personality. I think the fact that he's a vocalist/drummer catches more peoples' attention than the actual style and craft of his drumming itself. Learning to play "Highland Tyrant Attack" was so much fun, especially the part with the falsetto screams. Some of his other things he has played, I couldn't play if I practiced for a year straight.

After watching Absu live, I can testify how fast, powerful, varied and passionate is his performance. He really beat the shit out of the kit while playing some ridiculously fast double bass patterns and fills AND singing. I also noticed a lot of tricky stuff he does, that I didn't play attention before. I mean, they played Pillars of Mercy way faster than the studio version! the double bass was just insanely fast, just up there with the tremolo riffs.

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm 

Mario from Gojira is great.

All the hate on Lars is dumb, his drumming fits Metallica. No, he's not a great drummer, but would you want flashy drumming over Blackened?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

It doesn't really surprise me to see his name come up, because I've read the critical reviews of WAtN (including yours) and 'show-off drumming' is a common complaint. I think that entire album is awesome though, especially Cesca's performance. Plus I have to appreciate a guy who made a metal version of Castlevania II's soundtrack.

The production on the album is a terrible fit for the music, primarily because Zeuss produced it very similarly to The Acacia Strain's album that he produced the same year.

I love Castlevania (it's been about two hours since I played a Castlevania game), but that "metal" version is absolutely awful, and it really shows why Cesca is a horrible drummer. Constant wanking. All the guy can do is wank, he's a more rank crank yanker than Steve Vai. The original had simple drumming. Yngwie also did a similar adaptation of the same classical piece (I forget what it is) and it was much better, and... yeah, Yngwie was more tasteful. Never thought I'd say that.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
Mario from Gojira is great.

All the hate on Lars is dumb, his drumming fits Metallica. No, he's not a great drummer, but would you want flashy drumming over Blackened?

Yes I would.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm 

Don't know about the worst, but I'm quite a fan of Felix Bohnke, from Edguy.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm 

I'm sure Paul could tear up the kit if he wanted to, but Cannibal Corpse's music doesn't call for it.

It's akin to docking points from Motorhead because they're not as technical as Mastodon. Different styles of metal that require different approaches.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 pm 

I have no problems with the drumming on We Are the Nightmare. That entire album is just a testament to 100% wankery. It's stupidly over the top, and the drumming fits. I don't even think he keeps a beat for more than 5 seconds at a time. Now, I do understand how you could hate him for exactly that, but I don't think any different drumming would have fit that album as well.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:42 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:

Heh, I actually think "Justice" has Lars' best (and only truly, consistently good performance); no, it isn't Hoglan-fast or Haake-technical or any other kind of specific super-skilled, but he puts more thought into varying things up and thinking up various different, interesting fills, and plenty of 'em too, more than the typical metal drummer. Like what he does just a lil' bit before the 4-min mark on "The Frayed Ends Of Sanity". Certainly not the best drum performance ever, but still definitely good, not just by his personal standards IMO, but just in general. Can't imagine he'll ever match it again.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 am 

Two words to anyone that says that Lars is a shitty drummer: Dyers Eve.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 am 

Subrick wrote:
Two words to anyone that says that Lars is a shitty drummer: Dyers Eve.

That's probably the worst example you could have brought up since even Lars himself has admitted to never being able to play it properly. The studio recording is edited a lot in regards to the drumming. I can admit times when I like Lars even though he's mediocre but bringing up Dyers Eve is not something that speaks in his favor.

His inability to play the song was also a big reason for Metallica never playing it live until we were into the 2000's. And if you listen to the live recordings now you can clearly hear that he still can't play the song.
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next