Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 pm 

I try to tip ~25% for good service and then it ranges from there but it really is all about the service I get. And always remember people: don't fuck with the delivery guy, we handle your food.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:21 pm 

Quote:
You are wearing a mask made of roses
Of ropes
Of frogs.

What about the frogs?
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:56 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
I try to tip ~25% for good service and then it ranges from there but it really is all about the service I get. And always remember people: don't fuck with the delivery guy, we handle your food.

When the service is above average I tip more, or when the weather is a shit.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm 

Red currants are among the finest three berries and fruit to use in a pie/tart/whatever that thing you bake in the oven is. They rival even the Finnish wild blueberries, if the thing is done right. If you don't believe me, fly over and you'll get a taste.

In other news, the Savo area in Finland is very, very nice. Especially the last three days using a pretty neat company cabin on the beach next to lake Saimaa for free (accommodations for 28 at least) were awesome. You can basically drink the lake water, there's a real wood-fired sauna, and with the exception of a car once every two hours, no noise whatsoever. Awesome, non of the hassle, noise and hurry of the Helsinki area.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm 

Where about is that cabin, Napero? My mother's family has cabins quite near Savonlinna, and I can attest that the landscapes in the area are extremely beautiful. The best I've seen though is Punkaharju, along the drive between Savonlinna and Parikkala.

I've been stupid for not having visited there for a while. I should go again, as long as the damn thing still stands.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 pm 

Hello guys, Snake Dog IPA is very good beer if you like beer. You should probably drink it, I know I've been doing that today.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 pm 

Guantanamo bay in numbers (infographic)

Must read.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 pm 

So I used some of my new paycheck to buy Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip vol. 1 and 2" album...expecting nothing less than greatness from this for sure. I'm also buying a used copy of Gorguts' first two albums, gonna get into this band in a crash course like I did Carcass.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So I used some of my new paycheck to buy Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip vol. 1 and 2" album...expecting nothing less than greatness from this for sure. I'm also buying a used copy of Gorguts' first two albums, gonna get into this band in a crash course like I did Carcass.

Good choices there. I'd recommend skipping Obscura though. That album's like listening to a malfunctioning washing machine filled with rocks.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 pm 

So I just read "The Haunter of the Dark" by H.P. Lovecraft on this magnificent website: http://dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

Disturbing how real it seemed to be. I was there, on Federal Hill, looking at the looming black tower. Lovecraft is a god damn genius! Going to read more of these stories in my spare time.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
So I just read "The Haunter of the Dark" by H.P. Lovecraft on this magnificent website: http://dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

Disturbing how real it seemed to be. I was there, on Federal Hill, looking at the looming black tower. Lovecraft is a god damn genius! Going to read more of these stories in my spare time.

Welcome to the club, man. For more creepy goodness, I recommed The Whisperer in Darkness, Pickman's Model, and The Music of Erich Zann. Especially Pickman's Model. Man, that one gave me some serious chills the first time I read it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Good choices there. I'd recommend skipping Obscura though. That album's like listening to a malfunctioning washing machine filled with rocks.

I heard it on Youtube last week, one of those full albums. Thought it was incredibly intriguing.

You heard that Cantrell, Xl? Is it as awesome as I am imagining?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 pm 

They're long ass albums. Too long for what they are. But they have some pretty legendary songs. Like Solitude and Pig Charmer. Mostly it's like a much more bitter AIC.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:48 pm 

Eh, I just can't get into Obscura, no matter how much I listen to it.

And yeah, I've listened to Cantrell's solo stuff. There's plenty of catchy, bluesy riffing and soothing acoustic playing to keep you entertained. Plus, Cantrell's voice sounds as good as ever in those albums. Just don't expect anything too different from AIC.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:50 pm 

It sounds exactly like what I want, unless it's "Facelift" AIC instead of s/t AIC. But I don't think it will be. :p More of the s/t or Jar of Flies sound is exactly what's on the menu this week.

Here's something you might like Xlxlx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsCb9_klKKY

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm 

Not remotely like Facelift, no. Though I do hope you're not implying Facelift is anything less than FUCKING AWESOME.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:59 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Not remotely like Facelift, no. Though I do hope you're not implying Facelift is anything less than FUCKING AWESOME.

It's good, has some classics, but it's easily my least favorite thing AIC did, studio album-wise.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm 

1) Facelift is badass. My favourite AIC album, in fact.

2) That Arrayan Path song's cool. I especially like how much of a ham the singer is. He truly seems to be enjoying himself :lol: Will give it a more thorough listen later.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:

http://cthulhuchick.com/
A fellow Lovecraft fan (I say "fellow" but she clearly has much more devotion than I) assembled a flawless collection of all his short stories for ebook -- and for free download (beware, Amazon charges for it).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:48 pm 

I bought a hardcover compilation of all of Lovecraft's fiction for like $5 new. It's in chronological order and has a little blurb at the beginning of each story with a little background info (when it was written, where it was first published, what was going on in Lovecraft's life at the time, brief criticism of the story). I don't see the same edition I have on their website anymore, but they do have this even nicer leatherbound hardcover for $18:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815?ean=9781435122963

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 pm 

Hm, the problem with chronological short story collections like that is that the author's early stuff can really blow - it's fine if you're familiar with the author's work already and know to skip to the good parts, but I have this Ramsey Campbell collection that's sorted chronologically, and I very nearly gave up on it after reading the first story. It was just this really painful Lovecraft pastiche, right down to the writing style - it was the only one like that, as afterwards he started to find his own voice and it got a million times better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 pm 

Well, I had read some Lovecraft (a few of the more famous stories) before getting this collection, so I knew that he'd eventually find his voice. His earlier stuff is also really interesting; some of it is sort of clearly embryonic Lovecraft while others have a lot more horror camp to them and some of the really short ones have this really beautiful, poetic quality that's not as common in his later work (the Dunsany-influenced stuff in particular).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 am 

Shit no one cares about. (Hint: It's for fans of Whargarblgoyle)
Hehe, foreskins.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:24 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I bought a hardcover compilation of all of Lovecraft's fiction for like $5 new. It's in chronological order and has a little blurb at the beginning of each story with a little background info (when it was written, where it was first published, what was going on in Lovecraft's life at the time, brief criticism of the story). I don't see the same edition I have on their website anymore, but they do have this even nicer leatherbound hardcover for $18:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815?ean=9781435122963

Awesome man, I have nearly all of Lovecraft's work spread out in different collections but my best friend has a paperback book with all of Lovecrafts work in one, not sure if it's the same one as you though. I recently saw a collection of all of Lovecraft's letters to his circle and friends, i.e. people like Clark Ashton Smith. I'm thinking about buying that one, even if it's pretty common fair for metalheads I really am a huge Lovecraft fanboy, always been.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:02 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:

The Rats in the Walls. And I just read Polaris, freaking amazing short story. Lovecraft wrote all sorts of crap. I was reading his earlist stories and man, he was a disturbed kid :lol:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:06 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Hm, the problem with chronological short story collections like that is that the author's early stuff can really blow - it's fine if you're familiar with the author's work already and know to skip to the good parts, but I have this Ramsey Campbell collection that's sorted chronologically, and I very nearly gave up on it after reading the first story. It was just this really painful Lovecraft pastiche, right down to the writing style - it was the only one like that, as afterwards he started to find his own voice and it got a million times better.

You should check out "Cold print" - an anthology of Campbell's Mythos-influenced stuff. His first one or two stories are a bit shit, but he was 17 or something at the time. "the inhabitant of the lake", for example, is an awesome story.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:15 pm 

I have no words to comment on this so I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYS-i4GOGk

(It's SFW and it's actually a live band with a very interesting drumkit)

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm 

shouvince wrote:

That looks like it'd be REALLY annoying to play.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 pm 

Excruciating Terror is playing MDF. My brain has melted.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:17 pm 

shouvince wrote:

Haha, that looks like it's insanely fun to play on. A drummers favorite carnival ride right there.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:03 pm 

That looks insane! For some reason, it makes sense that a cover band drummer owns it.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:19 pm 

At my little brother's birthday party right now. Not very fond of kids, but the insane amounts of food are worth it.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:49 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
At my little brother's birthday party right now. Not very fond of kids, but the insane amounts of food are worth it.

So basically if you were on the Titanic when it was sinking, you'd be like, 'Fuck the children! Save everyone else!'. Reading the rest of what you wrote, it appears that you'd steal their food, too. It's fellows like you who make tales like Oliver Twist a harsh, cruel reality. Enjoy the party.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:01 pm 

My buddy has defects in all of his three car doors and he can only open one of them from the outside.

I told him to ask the NSA to repair it.

Because they'll install a free backdoor. ಠ_ಠ

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:26 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

So basically if you were on the Titanic when it was sinking, you'd be like, 'Fuck the children! Save everyone else!'. Reading the rest of what you wrote, it appears that you'd steal their food, too. It's fellows like you who make tales like Oliver Twist a harsh, cruel reality. Enjoy the party.

Yes, I revel in my wickedness. Now, excuse me while I go and get the puppies out of the oven. They should be all crunchy by now.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Yes, I revel in my wickedness. Now, excuse me while I go and get the puppies out of the oven. They should be all crunchy by now.

So wicked. Next thing we know there'll be a cat drowning in the pool and you won't break away from your conversation to save it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Excruciating Terror is playing MDF. My brain has melted.

Exciting news, but I wonder if Jerry Flores' absence will have any sort of impact on how their songs sound...and I know they're doing a split with Suffering Mind, so I guess we will see how strong the new stuff is next year.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 pm 

What is the marinade you used for the dogs, XXXXXL? I'm eating ribs tonight maybe I could try it!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00 pm 

Children's tears and blood of the innocent, seasoned with broken hope.

As a teacher you should have no problem getting those ingredients, right?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:34 pm 

http://gamerfury.tumblr.com/

I certainly have the tendency to launch a retroactively embarassing torrent of profanity at my computer during difficult game parts, but Christ.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 518  Next