Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:05 pm 

Quote:
Israeli progressive folk metal masters ORPHANED LAND will join forces with the Palestinian group KHALAS for an 18-concert European tour in October/November. The two bands will also share a tour bus for three weeks, an artistic cooperation between Jewish and Arab artists which is being hailed as "a major breakthrough."

"We can't change the world, but we can give an example of how coexistence is possible," ORPHANED LAND singer Kobi Farhi told The Guardian. "Sharing a stage and sharing a bus is stronger than a thousand words. We'll show how two people from different backgrounds who live in a conflict zone can perform together."

"We are metal brothers before everything," added KHALAS lead guitarist Abed Hathut. "There is no bigger message for peace than through this tour."

Previous collaborations between Jewish and Arab artists in Israel have led to calls for boycotts from pro-Palestinian activists as part of a campaign to isolate the Jewish state culturally and economically.

"I'm strongly against boycotts of any kind," Farhi told The Guardian. "The purpose of art is to represent harmony in places of disharmony, to bring hope."

ORPHANED LAND is touring in support o its sixth full-length album, "All Is One", which was released in North America on June 25 (one day earlier internationally) via Century Media Records. The cover artwork for the follow-up to 2010's "The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR" was created by the French artist Metastazis (PARADISE LOST, AS I LAY DYING, SONNE ADAM, WATAIN) by perfectly incorporating the three biggest religious symbols into one piece of art.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=192764

This honestly is one of the reasons I love Metal. It truly is a unifier that goes beyond race, religion, age, sex, gender, and many more.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm 

This is just a publicity stunt. I can guarantee not a single Palestinian or Isreali will change their views of each other because of this tour. This 'coexistence' tour serves no purpose (beyond music) and the bands would be fools to think that it does, but they aren't because they don't believe it and they know it's just a gimmick.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm 

You definitely know what they're thinking though? And what you're saying is utterly false, music is always more than music, it serves a social purpose as well, you're a fool to think it doesn't serve a purpose. It won't solve the issue of course but it's a step towards a better harmony between these two people and a gimmick? I'm sure no one will say "hey let's see Orphaned Land, they brought a Palestinian band with them!".

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 pm 

I think they're sending a good message.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
You definitely know what they're thinking though? And what you're saying is utterly false, music is always more than music, it serves a social purpose as well, you're a fool to think it doesn't serve a purpose. It won't solve the issue of course but it's a step towards a better harmony between these two people and a gimmick? I'm sure no one will say "hey let's see Orphaned Land, they brought a Palestinian band with them!".

The fact that me and most of my friends are part of this debacle should give some insight as to why I consider this a social stunt.

Reply to topic