Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Churchill68
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:55 am 

"So yeah, fuck you, Tony Iommi."

Just read the 'review' of Black Sabbaths' '13'. Everybody their own opinion but this little story by droneriot (and that name says it all in a way) is so far off and disrespectful that I decided to dig in.

The review was uploaded on June 10th. The album was released on that day. So how much spins did he gave the album? And write a review instantly? Or did he (or she) download the album in a shitty quality a week earlier so he (or she) could have the time to compose this atrocity of a review? You tell me.

And then this: "Do NOT write stuff, in the lineup or additional notes fields or anywhere else, that promotes or bashes the band in question!", a line from the official rules. So in that light; how on earth is this review allowed on MA when the opening sentence/remark is in that review?

Read and weep...and I mean actually weep. The dumbest review I ever read;

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... /droneriot

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:07 am 

1) A bad rip doesn't somehow make the riffs or music as a whole worse written

2) Why does everybody jump to that conclusion that early leaks are always bad quality? That was out at least a week or two before release in 320kps, don't even go there

3) There's a difference between "Opeth is a bunch of shitty fags who should drown in napalm while getting butt-rodgered by orcs" and "Opeth writes some god fucking awful music and here is an entire review explaining why". Drone didn't "bash" Sabbath nor Iommi simply by expressing his distaste for the album

4) That rule isn't even in the section for reviews :durr: I mean, yeah there's a similar rule, but damn you couldn't even read the rules enough to quote the right section.

5) I love when people who hate a review put it in quotations, like that somehow devalues it.

6) He didn't like it, grow up.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Churchill68
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:14 am 

so telling Iommi to fuck himself is ok?

Churchill68
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:17 am 

"Do NOT write stuff, in the lineup or additional notes fields or anywhere else, that promotes or bashes the band in question!"

And what does ANYWHERE ELSE means in your book then?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:54 am 

That rule is specifically to avoid subjective information on the actual pages of bands. Obviously reviews are for that subjective stuff.

It's a really weird review to be angry about too, that's like the least hateful 0% review I've ever read.

Edit: In short, anywhere else means, in song lyrics, album titles, genre tags, locations etc, not in the reviews.

Edit 2: This should be painfully obvious, it also says nothing that promotes, and I don't see you making the same complaints about every single positive remark in a review.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:14 am 

Not that good of a review, but it's descriptive and he makes points, so there's no reason why it shouldn't be deleted...plus BS are only one of the biggest rock bands ever, it's not like he's saying all that about some underground Canadian band who posts here. I'm sure they will get over the insult pretty quick.

Churchill68
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 am 

I write reviews too and an opinion is just that. But this guy is so way off and overblowing his distaste for '13' that I think it was just written to draw attention. He says "Not on my watch" as if the world was waiting for his final judgement. I read nothing but arrogance, disrespect and indeed the whining of a little boy who's candy was taken away. Grow up, write a review that expresses your opinion but keep it respectful. "Go and fuck yourself Tony Iommi" simply is something you can't say in an album review.

On the album;
The man of the album to me is Geezer Butler and even he gets a boot up his behind. I smile when learning how well the album sold and keeps selling, there will be another one. I hope it will be more balanced and have all the tracks on one version, the splintering of the bonus tracks is stupid, they don't need to do that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:52 am 

Reading it again, there's nothing wrong with that review, you're essentially complaining about two or three sentences in a 10 paragraph review in which most of it is completely fair criticisms and analysis. Which is ridiculous. I always find it funny when people come in and call reviewers childish for certain phrases or perceived "attitudes" in a review, but then spend precious time online petitioning to get a review removed. Uh, WHO'S childish here again? You're just a fan of the album who is mad that somebody has a different opinion from you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:31 pm 

Churchill68 wrote:
"Do NOT write stuff, in the lineup or additional notes fields or anywhere else, that promotes or bashes the band in question!"

And what does ANYWHERE ELSE means in your book then?

"Neutral information only, written in 3rd person, at all times. (This does not apply to reviews, obviously, but band/album/artist/label data.) This site is meant to be an encyclopedia after all. Do NOT write stuff, in the lineup or additional notes fields or anywhere else, that promotes or bashes the band in question! Do not write a biography in the first person, e.g. "This is my band we formed last year, we sound like band X and draw influences from Y, etc etc"."

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 pm 

I'm sure Drone appreciates the feedback and the butthurtness! But this was a perfectly fine review, sorry.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.