Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 am 

By the way, re: fighting game/RPG hybrids, what about Dragon's Crown? I know it's still not what you described, but it's an action-RPG with side-scrolling beat-'em-up combat, and I'm not sure how much fighting game-style techniques there will be but it's certainly more advanced than the old button mashers. Basically it's like Guardian Heroes but with a loot system, so it should be pretty kick-ass. I pre-ordered it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

VoidOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:12 am 

Morrigan wrote:
By the way, re: fighting game/RPG hybrids, what about Dragon's Crown? I know it's still not what you described, but it's an action-RPG with side-scrolling beat-'em-up combat, and I'm not sure how much fighting game-style techniques there will be but it's certainly more advanced than the old button mashers. Basically it's like Guardian Heroes but with a loot system, so it should be pretty kick-ass. I pre-ordered it.

I also have it preordered. I was a big fan of Muramasa and Odin Sphere, so I'm pretty amped for Dragon's Crown.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 am 

I've never heard of it, but I'll look into it. I'm not gonna have any disposable income for the next... oh, twelve years or so, but keep my eyes open about it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:33 am 

Steam Summer Sale is about.

Time to inflate that backlog even further. Scribblenauts for five bucks, eh?

Dark Souls for 7.50 ... shouldn't I play Demon's Souls first? Shit only 20 minutes left. No time to think.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 am 

You don't have to.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am 

I'm playing The Last of Us, and I love it. It's the first game to suck me in in a long time. This has got to be the best voice acting I've ever heard in a video game. It really is like being part of a movie. I love the gameplay, and the deliberate pace you have to maintain in order to survive. Nothing in the game has been particularly scary to me so far, but I've certainly felt that enjoyable tension when I'm trying to figure out how to get past difficult situations.

I highly recommend this game to everyone.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 pm 

Goddamnit Steam Summer Sale, why are you so good?

I just bought these off of Steam:

Doom 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Condemned

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm 

Steam sale taking my money. Got a few things. Last Remnant looked appealing with the $3 tag but looking online made me change my opinion. Just looks like it'll be a frustrating 40 hours.

edit: fug it, $3 is hardly a dent to me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 pm 

Dark Souls was the only thing I was really gunning for this sale, since I haven't even touched Dragon Age and Deus Ex HR, which I bought during last year's sale. Though I may pick up random cheap indie/lite games as the pop up, including FTL and Scribblenauts Unlimited so far.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Steam Summer Sale is about.

Time to inflate that backlog even further. Scribblenauts for five bucks, eh?

Dark Souls for 7.50 ... shouldn't I play Demon's Souls first? Shit only 20 minutes left. No time to think.

I did Dark Souls first... If you think that's hard just wait til you try Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is easier and overall better so no problem playing that one first :) Getting the platinum/100% in Dark Souls is a joke compared to Demon's. Glad I don't really use steam though I already got tons of PSN games to play.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:34 pm 

I actually double-dipped and bought Dark Souls on Steam too. :lol: For $7.50 it was a ridiculous steal, and I was curious to see the improved graphics and framerate with the Durante mod (for those who don't have it, you can find it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240). Plus I can now coop (or hell PvP) with you PC fellows, if anyone needs help from a pra0. ;) My PC character is gonna be a black knight weapon user (I never actually tried those before, curious to try the black knight great axe everyone raved about), about SL 21 at the moment I think.

Just gotta watch for those damn hackers who can allegedly ruin your save... :| But Durante's mod has a setting to enable save backups. I wouldn't recommend using those because save-scumming ruins the game, but I'll keep the backups just for these cases. Oh, and you can apparently skip the stupid logos with the mod, too. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm 

Dark Souls newb checking in - I went with a pyromancer since I normally like balanced magic/combat classes. Any general advice to start things off with that class? And levelling in general - I've been putting most of my points into endurance, dexterity and intelligence so far.

(Also, is the gift you choose at the beginning really worth anything? I went with the Tiny Ring or whatever it's called.)

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm 

No Steam sales for me, I'm broke as shit. I'd actually like to have Dark Souls on the pc too, but I'm not sure this shitbox would keep a decent framerate for it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Dark Souls newb checking in - I went with a pyromancer since I normally like balanced magic/combat classes. Any general advice to start things off with that class? And levelling in general - I've been putting most of my points into endurance, dexterity and intelligence so far.

(Also, is the gift you choose at the beginning really worth anything? I went with the Tiny Ring or whatever it's called.)

Well the master key is the best gift because it allows you to open some doors and take short cuts that aren't available until way later on... Really useful in 2nd and 3rd playthrus when you want to take a different route from the beginning. Dex, End, Int are all good, you'll want vitality to obviously. You can kill that first merchant (the undead merchant) in undead burg to get the Uchigatana early on which is one of the best dex weapons along with the Great Scythe and Iato. That merchant has nothing really worth buying anyway.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm 

Master key is not such a good starting gift for first playthroughs, though it's good for later ones. Tiny being ring gives you a tiny HP bonus, it's not bad but you'll quickly find better rings. The only gifts I really recommend -against- are the binoculars (you find them early enough in the game) and the pendant (100% useless).

Smoking guru: make sure you level up VIT some, or you'll get OHKOed real quick. End, dex and int are all good. Keep in mind that int only makes -sorceries- stronger, not pyromancy. Your pyromancies scales with the flame's power (you later find a dude who can upgrade your flame), not your int stat. Another tip: never ever ever EVER level up resistance. Unless everything else is at 99 ;) it's completely useless.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:22 am 

inhumanist wrote:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125858-Xbox-One-Fans-Petition-For-The-Return-Of-DRM

The stupidity of people never fails to amaze me.

I don't know if this is the result of Xbox fanboys or Sony fanboys trolling and trying to make Xbox users look stupid.

Lycan Supremacy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125858-Xbox-One-Fans-Petition-For-The-Return-Of-DRM

The stupidity of people never fails to amaze me.

I don't know if this is the result of Xbox fanboys or Sony fanboys trolling and trying to make Xbox users look stupid.

I would suspect its a combination of both groups.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm 

Love this blog so much:

http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Well the master key is the best gift because it allows you to open some doors and take short cuts that aren't available until way later on... Really useful in 2nd and 3rd playthrus when you want to take a different route from the beginning. Dex, End, Int are all good, you'll want vitality to obviously. You can kill that first merchant (the undead merchant) in undead burg to get the Uchigatana early on which is one of the best dex weapons along with the Great Scythe and Iato. That merchant has nothing really worth buying anyway.

Hehe, I figured with that warning you get before the starting area that you were supposed to kill him. Though I only bought a chainmail vest before doing so; hoping the rest of the armor isn't that hard to find.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 pm 

You mean the chainmail set? Well, you just killed your only opportunity.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:13 pm 

I decided to start playing Halo - Halo: Reach on legendary today. These games are always fun to go back to. The pistol is such an underrated weapon!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 am 

yentass wrote:

So what, that armour is garbage anyway, tons of better ones.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:01 am 

The only game I will buy during the steam sales is "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare".
Only played it for a little while so far, but it's harder than I expected.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
yentass wrote:

So what, that armour is garbage anyway, tons of better ones.

yeah, chainmail set NEVER appeared as an option when doing armor optimizing calculations. I had like 10 different PVP character ranging from lvl 80-250... no more souls for me until Dark Souls 2! The "Hollow Soldiers Waistcloth" is actually a pretty solid piece of armor that you can get as a drop right away, depends if you want to fast or mid-roll I guess. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/armor http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ I used the hell out of these links, but I did my first playthru without any guides before really getting into all this shit. Stay away from guides on the first playthru it's more fun :)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Love this blog so much:

I've gotta get me a set of HIS Armor.

It offers so much protection!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:48 pm 

Going to play through Fallout: New Vegas again, this time with all the DLC. Hopefully I don't get burned out before finishing the game this time. I'm thinking I'll play a "mad scientist" type character who uses energy weapons, science, and explosives.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

I've been trying to reclaim old RTS games I used to play as a kid and found a copy of Warcraft 2 at my work last week, I forgot how irritatingly hard some of these games could be, there's really no other way to beat the CPU's without crunching in dozens of cheats on stuff like Warcraft 2 and C&C Retaliation.
Only thing I'm missing now in my collection is Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (think Age of Empires with Star Wars races)

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:41 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Stay away from guides on the first playthru it's more fun :)

I'm going the rest of the way without a guide; I just wanted to make sure I had the basics down for starting off since I have this annoying habit of completely misunderstanding how to effectively level characters in a given RPG and ending up with something unplayably bad by the end. :lol:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:44 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I've been trying to reclaim old RTS games I used to play as a kid and found a copy of Warcraft 2 at my work last week, I forgot how irritatingly hard some of these games could be, there's really no other way to beat the CPU's without crunching in dozens of cheats on stuff like Warcraft 2 and C&C Retaliation.
Only thing I'm missing now in my collection is Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (think Age of Empires with Star Wars races)

If a game was unbeatable without cheats, it might as well be considered broken. You're probably not building your economy with expansion bases and extra workers. The basis of RTS strategy is having a better economy and better army than your opponent.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 pm 

That and rushing, though less so in campaigns where the AI starts with a pre-made base and army. Basically you need to keep the pressure on your opponent as much as possible in the hopes of disrupting their economy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:44 pm 

Computer got messed up bad. CPU stays low, but physical memory remains at 20% and increases greatly when playing a game - any game. To put you guys in my shoes, my comp can play Skyrim on all high with nearly 100 mods attached to it and maybe once every 15 minutes my fan will start gunning for 10 seconds just so my comp can cool down. That's not even on high-performance power levels, it's balanced. Something happened yesterday with adobe flash or something where I got a malware that I've been trying to remove for every second this computer's been on. It's painful. 16 gigs ram, GTX 560, boss as shit, and I can't even playing something like KOTOR without my memory CPU / memory skyrocketing and my computer overheating. OS reinstall, here I go. :(

... and right when I had to make a bunch of steam purchases.

edit: damn, didn't work.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:59 pm 

Speaking of computer troubles, I've been having some weird hangups with Dark Souls. About every 30 seconds or so the game will freeze for about half a second. Nothing that prevents me from playing it, but it gets annoying in the middle of battles...I used DSFix and scaled the resolution down a bit and the game otherwise runs and plays very smoothly, but still freezes up. My laptop isn't the most powerful gaming rig but I can't imagine it's not strong enough for DS since I can run Mass Effect 3 without any hangup...Anyone else have this problem?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Love this blog so much:

I've gotta get me a set of HIS Armor.

It offers so much protection!

The Dark Gods can offer better.

Spoiler: show

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 am 

I hate revealing or bulky armor for either gender. Too skimpy and you know nothing's getting protected. Unless it's some barbarian dude or amazon woman then that works. Too bulky and they end up looking like some robot and less human.

Worst of all is some of the JRPG armor out there. It'll be like all of your left leg has enough armor to take heavy gunfire, 2/3 of your right leg shows skin, a right elbow is fully protected, five belts all over your body, heavy shoulder pads with your stomach showing, and just seems like random armor.

I beat Pandora's Tower recently and I wish I got some warning that it wasn't as good as Xenoblade or The Last Story. It didn't suck but I was expecting spectacular since it was an Operation Rainfall game. It was just a decent to good game. Maybe the closest game like it would be Alice Madness Returns where it's just this nice game with combat that works but it doesn't excel at anything really.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:50 am 

Steam sale - Civilization V - And I'm hooked.

Kahalachan wrote:
Worst of all is some of the JRPG armor out there. It'll be like all of your left leg has enough armor to take heavy gunfire, 2/3 of your right leg shows skin, a right elbow is fully protected, five belts all over your body, heavy shoulder pads with your stomach showing, and just seems like random armor.

Rule of cool. Or, you know, "cool".

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Computer got messed up bad. CPU stays low, but physical memory remains at 20% and increases greatly when playing a game - any game. To put you guys in my shoes, my comp can play Skyrim on all high with nearly 100 mods attached to it and maybe once every 15 minutes my fan will start gunning for 10 seconds just so my comp can cool down. That's not even on high-performance power levels, it's balanced. Something happened yesterday with adobe flash or something where I got a malware that I've been trying to remove for every second this computer's been on. It's painful. 16 gigs ram, GTX 560, boss as shit, and I can't even playing something like KOTOR without my memory CPU / memory skyrocketing and my computer overheating. OS reinstall, here I go. :(

... and right when I had to make a bunch of steam purchases.

edit: damn, didn't work.

Are you sure the CPU/memory usage wasn't like that before the troubles?
What exactly are your temperatures like?
Have you tried going into task manager and ending any unnecessary processes, or seeing if theres something fishy there? Same for startup processes?
Have you tried non-shitty anti-malware software?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:02 pm 

Don't just run anti-malware, run MB anti-rootkit as well.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm 

Not to turn this thread into my personal pc fix topic, but I did all of those, guys. CPU at idle before was less than 5% and memory was always less than 5% at idle. Now it's like 5% and 20%. With a game running it used to be 10% and 15% but now it's 50% and 80%. Makes no god damn sense, and before I use to have several browsers open, be downloading something, and playing a game like Skyrim with no problem.

I ran malwarebytes + rootkit twice including safe mode. Nothing that fixed the problem. The task manager I already checked and the values don't add up. At idle there's only like 400 mb of stuff running, but my physical memory shows 3.5 gigs out of 16 being used. Temperatures usually around ~40C but when it gets hotter in the day it goes ~45C, and when playing games it immediately starts to shoot passed 60C, with GPU at a whopping 90C. Today as well my computer has started freezing up, particularly when I play videos, but that's likely a codec issue that's killing my drivers.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:49 pm 

I'd almost say it's a hardware issue, but that doesn't explain memory usage. Windoze is infamous for eating resources though, and using memory that doesn't show up as a process is something that it does sometimes as far as I know. If it's malware and Malwarebytes didn't get rid of it you should backup your data, then wipe and reinstall your operating system.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:04 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
I'd almost say it's a hardware issue, but that doesn't explain memory usage. Windoze is infamous for eating resources though, and using memory that doesn't show up as a process is something that it does sometimes as far as I know. If it's malware and Malwarebytes didn't get rid of it you should backup your data, then wipe and reinstall your operating system.

Already did that. I did a completely clean install 2 days ago and it didn't solve the issue. I'll probably take it in tomorrow or friday for servicing. Dole out the dollars for something probably insignificant, but whatever. Strangely, I had 25 tabs open in firefox and played Skyrim afterwards (without the tabs) again 2 hours ago and it played just fine (granted, GPU was pushing at 90 C which is horrendous).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504, 505 ... 940  Next