* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
ibthecrusher wrote:
If you are a bigger male, you Goldbond the shit out of your gooch. Holy fuck, you will thank yourself for it. It's so easy to get chafed in the kitchen if you're muscular or thicker of stature, and that really can make the difference between an easy day at work and being trapped in Perdition.

Yes, this. Fucking all of this.

I always Goldbond and then run out, and move to baking soda. I still do this, even on the line.

If you hate Goldbond or other powders, I suggest some Vaseline so your skin glides smoothly.

ibthecrusher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm 

See, I just bring the big-ass tub of it and re-apply every few hours. Most of the way through the night, you just put some more of that shit on and it feels like magic!

I tried the vaseline thing, and I just kind of felt like I'd shat myself all night. Though I'm told guys that aren't super-sweaty like me at work tend to prefer it.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:07 am 

I always feel like I shat myself, anyway.

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 am 

Ah, the good old days when I was a dishwasher. I worked as one for 9 months I hope to work as one again starting September, because I will be back in school which is in another country so I need the money. But I was the best dishwasher the restaurant had and the chef would give me the most fucked up shifts when they expect 200 people (which was a lot for that restaurant) and I made a lot of money doing that, but knowing where I come from and how much a dishwasher would make here, I guess that's only impressing money for me. Anyway the waiters and the chefs were amazing never did anyone give me a hard time and we would joke all the time and talk sports with the chefs and some times they would help me when it was 2 in the morning. The only problem I had was going back to my place, walking 1 hour through the forest at 2 in the morning, although I did see a couple have sex once, I guess that made the walk a little bit better.

Anyway a tip I could give you, I guess its common sense, but when you have a big pile of stuff, wash the bigger ones first, it gives you a feeling that you have less to do and its kind of uplifting knowing that you are almost done.

MaskedJackal23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

Im a dishwasher/prep cook and well it sucks. My manager is twofaced and my boss is an alcoholic prick. I walk into work everyday to a mountain of pots and plates and shit my first thought is always that im going to kill myself. Im pretty fast though I have to admit. Speed and multitasking are the key. I get so pissed at closing I get every damn pot in the place from the cook, i get bitched at if i try to grab them earlier. Its neverending it really is. By closing time I always have one of 4 thoughts, im going to kill myself, im going to kill someone else, im going to smash my fist through the wall or im running out for a quick ass cigarette.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 am 

MaskedJackal23 wrote:
Im a dishwasher/prep cook and well it sucks. My manager is twofaced and my boss is an alcoholic prick. I walk into work everyday to a mountain of pots and plates and shit my first thought is always that im going to kill myself. Im pretty fast though I have to admit. Speed and multitasking are the key. I get so pissed at closing I get every damn pot in the place from the cook, i get bitched at if i try to grab them earlier. Its neverending it really is. By closing time I always have one of 4 thoughts, im going to kill myself, im going to kill someone else, im going to smash my fist through the wall or im running out for a quick ass cigarette.

Well, I recently put my two weeks notice in a few weeks ago, had to catch up with school, but I can honestly say that I don't regret my time there.

How long have you been washing dishes? I hated it with a passion at first, but after about 3 months, I settled into the rhythm, and it's true, there is a rhythm. If you learn to ride that wave, it can be an alright job. Doing the same thing everyday, minimal interference from others, seeing the same people everyday, and meeting new employees. It's almost comforting, in a way. I was slow at first, but I eventually became much quicker.

The thing is, on my last night, they didn't let me finish closing. They sent me home early. I felt robbed of closure (literally...). Our lives are full of ritual and ceremony, and my last closing was denied to me. It was almost as if they weren't letting me say "bye".

When I got out to my car, I found that I had been pranked, with my window having had 5 Maxi-pads stuck to it. The adhesive was tough to get off, and I didn't really try for about two weeks. It took an ice scraper and a rain shower, along with some elbow grease to get most of it off.

I drove out of the parking lot, gave the place one final look over my shoulder, and drove off into the moonlight, a chapter of my life closed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2