Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

That album is also leagues better than the atrocious mess Fleshgod are undoubtedly about to unleash. (Labyrinth--the band--is awesome btw)

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:06 pm 

Ahahahaha, reading all these responses is hilarious!

This song was kick ass and I definitely enjoyed it. I was a bit worried that when I see them in August they would replace most of their usual set with new songs I might not like, but if this song is any indication, I'm all for the new stuff.

The mixing didn't get any better than Agony, but while Agony still had a lot of work to do, it still definitely did the job.

And the guitars are definitely audible, stop having pissing fits. They're not the clearest, loudest, and in certain sections it's hard to tell what's going on, but unless you're playing the song for phone or laptop speakers, you can hear the guitars and they do in fact add to the song. A lot of you guys need to realize that if you ridiculously exaggerate your point, you're just making your argument worse.

Awesome song, I want the album now.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I think it's safe to say that Oracles was a total one-off.

Sadly, I think you're right. Such a shame, because Oracles is incredible.

I am a fan of clean production and the style they're shooting for would only work with very clean production, but the brickwalling just ruins it. I think if they backed off the compressors some and went for more symphonic accents and smaller parts in the music it would work better while conveying the same essential idea. Trying to use a huge string section on something that's already brickwalled is a recipe for disaster. Half of those instruments are in the same frequency as the guitars, and with compression that high, they will be fighting each other for volume. The result, as we can hear, is just a mush of guitars and strings.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm 

Indecency wrote:
And the guitars are definitely audible... In certain sections it's hard to tell what's going on

Say what now?

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 pm 

Ehh, I liked the song. I've only passively listened to these guys, always enjoyed what I've heard. I shall dig deeper and I will definitely give this album a spin.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 pm 

What is hilarious is when people like you say are arguements are moot because you can hear the guitars and then immediately recant that saying they are hard to make out. hypocrisy within your single post negates the entire worth of your post. Glad you enjoy the 'clearly audible yet not clear or audible guitar' song.

And i did like Oracles and Mafia. At least I have those to revisit.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 pm 

If you listen to Burzum

your argument is invalid to complain about production

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
What is hilarious is when people like you say are arguements are moot because you can hear the guitars and then immediately recant that saying they are hard to make out. hypocrisy within your single post negates the entire worth of your post. Glad you enjoy the 'clearly audible yet not clear or audible guitar' song.

It's actually not hypocrisy, it's more of a contradiction. Which is still not good, but it's different.

I thought the song was fine. With so much going on, yes, it's more difficult to hear the guitar, but it really wasn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I wasn't really focusing on any instrument specifically when listening either. I just took everything in. To an extent, my tolerance stems from being a bass player. I'm used to never being able to hear the bass clearly in metal, so not being able to hear the guitar clearly on a song where there is so much going on besides the guitars doesn't really bother me. The drums are a bit too loud/triggered, which is kind of annoying, but besides that the production wasn't particularly bothersome for me. Not my favorite, but that's about it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm 

to Necropsy: If you make sweeping judgements on anyone's tastes based on their unrelated opinions on other listening habits to dismiss a valid point being made on something else totally unrelated then your opinion/arguemnt/life is invalid to complain about said opinion.

Kyle, when I said I can't hear the guitar, I'm not making it out worst than it is. I literally can't hear it. And yea I stand corrected I did use the improper word there, thanks for the heads up.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

And i did like Oracles and Mafia. At least I have those to revisit.

Here we go.

Since you obviously don't know what audible means, so I'll quote the definition for you.

Quote:
au·di·ble [aw-duh-buhl] Show IPA
adjective
capable of being heard; loud enough to be heard; actually heard.

If you can hear it, then it's audible. You can hear theee guitars so they're audible. That's what I said. What I also said was that certain parts are hard to make out. Just because you can't tell the exact pitch or rhythm from the guitar, doesn't make it not audible. It's audible if you can hear it. If someone starts yelling at you from a distance and you can't make out what they're saying, they're still audible. They're just not understandable. No, there's no hypocrisy or contradiction in my post, sorry.

I can sit by when people make comments about the band being shit or just being noise or being boring or whatever else. Those are opinions. Whether or not guitars are audible is fact. It is fact that they are audible. People saying you absolutely can't hear them is wrong. That's what I'm saying. Don't try to criticize me about contradictions because I like a band you don't when I'm not even making a contradiction.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I literally can't hear it.

See now that would actually be a case of the guitars being inaudible. Although I'm more interested in what speakers or ears you have that prevent you from hearing the guitars. You're a guitarist, you should have no problem hearing it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

I've used a number of speakers and headphones. I gave it a few chances, I don't want to have to struggle to focus on hearing the guitars. I don't hear them. So I that's pretty much it. You really can't argue that away to me. So infact since not only have i said it, but more than half the percentage of this thread is on the side of inaudible or if you must say.. barely audible guitars.
I've given them a fair chance I thought this last album was horribly done due to the same fact that i've and a numerous amount of people have said their complaint is. It's not like i went in wanting to hate this nor the album before it, they did all they could to make sure I wouldn't in the production and succeeded. If you can hear it, but still make comments about not making out stuff it's still funny and contradictory and now as stated... is wrong on your half.

And really I don't even consider myself a guitarist, I'm not that great. I would consider myself more of a drummer if pressed. and I hate how loud the drums are to everything cause it actually bothers and hurts my ears.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:45 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I've used a number of speakers and headphones. I gave it a few chances, I don't want to have to struggle to focus on hearing the guitars. I don't hear them. So I that's pretty much it. You really can't argue that away to me. So infact since not only have i said it, but more than half the percentage of this thread is on the side of inaudible or if you must say.. barely audible guitars.
I've given them a fair chance I thought this last album was horribly done due to the same fact that i've and a numerous amount of people have said their complaint is. It's not like i went in wanting to hate this nor the album before it, they did all they could to make sure I wouldn't in the production and succeeded. If you can hear it, but still make comments about not making out stuff it's still funny and contradictory and now as stated... is wrong on your half.

And really I don't even consider myself a guitarist, I'm not that great. I would consider myself more of a drummer if pressed. and I hate how loud the drums are to everything cause it actually bothers and hurts my ears.

"Barely audible" is fine, I have no qualms with that.

The problem most people have with this band is they keep expecting another Oracles or Mafia. I got into them when Mafia was out and my 2 favorite songs of theirs are off that album. And yet I still loved Agony. It was something new. I had never heard blistering fast, chaotic, melodic, symphonic death metal before.

The biggest 2 complaints with their new stuff is the production and lack of guitars it seems, and I get neither. I have been picked on and ostracized on these forums for not being handle anything rougher than a 'digitally clean production'. Granted ever since I started going to shows and diversifying my gnres mainly in the past year and a half or so, I've been able to enjoy rougher stuff, but still, I'm a clean production kind of guy. And yet I have no problem with this. So from my point of view it's really confusion how so many people can dislike the production. The other complaint is the guitars. To that, all I have to say is they're supposed to be taking the back seat while the symphonics handle most of the melody. Guitars don't have to be the main focus. I have no problem letting violins and tubas and trombones taking the lead.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am 

Indecency, come on, stop being so pedantic. It's stupid to pick on people because they're using the word "inaudible" instead of "muddy" or "incomprehensible" or whatever other words exist that specifically imply obscured but not totally eliminated sonic clarity. Whether you get the people you're arguing with to admit that it's not literally "inaudible" or not, I doubt their feelings on the music are going to change.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:56 am 

I got into the band mostly with Agony, and I abso-fucking-lutely loved that album. I loved it to the point that I consider it the album of 2011. I've never wanted them to make another Oracles mostly because my first love with the band was not, in fact, Oracles. The production on Agony was not incredible, but not only were the songs strong enough to overcome that but I could always say that I've heard far worse than that. The mix on Elegy is that far worse. I didn't have an issue with the keyboards taking over the sound on Agony because firstly the music they wrote there was meant to be orchestra based rather than guitar based, plus the parts were interesting and the orchestra sounds themselves sounded quite real. The keyboards on Elegy, however, sound not only obviously like keyboards, but they also sound like incredibly bad keyboards. With Agony, while it was extremely loud and brickwalled, everything at least sounded like it was at a set level the whole time. Elegy's major problem outside the keyboards sounding terrible is that every single element of the mix sounds as if it was just set to a random volume with no care for consistency. The song itself is not terrible, and if the mix was (MUCH) better than what we got, I'd be in the same boat as I was with Agony, but that's just not the case here.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:17 am 

Hey, is that a guitar at 3:08??? I think I heard a guitar...

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:24 am 

ld50 wrote:
Hey, is that a guitar at 3:08??? I think I heard a guitar...

Nobody likes a smartass
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 am 

When I listen to death metal I don't want to feel that it's "hard to tell what's going on" with the guitars.
But perhaps that's just me.
Revisited Oracles yesterday, and that album kicks ass.

Now where did I put my "bands to watch" list... I need to cross out DimmuGod Borgiapocalypse.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 am 

I'm not completely sold on "Elegy," but perhaps with a couple of listens, and hearing the whole album, I will like it. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 am 

matras wrote:
When I listen to death metal I don't want to feel that it's "hard to tell what's going on" with the guitars.
But perhaps that's just me.

It's not just you. I stated that earlier in the thread. I will say that the newest song sample did have what I would call barely audible guitars which was a slight improvement from Agony for a moment. Then, the symphonics and vocals detracted and/or drowned them out. If you love guitars in death metal this band is a can't win. I've learned that this band just isn't for me. Mostly overdone, trying-to-be-epic garbage that just lacks any quality death metal value in terms of what I prefer. Makeup, cute little uniforms and the whole package adds up to a massive bounty of crap.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 am 

Indecency I only used barely audible for you, I find them still inaudible. If you get picked on for your tastes either toughen up or stop talking with people.

I've just accepted this band isn't even death metal anymore and I'm writing them out of my book of stuff to ever check out. And the funniest thing is I don't even worship at the altar of Oracles or Mafia, I thought they both were good but not mindblowing or trendsetting. Basically like oh this was nice maybe they'll do something even better later and well that's not happening.

But I guess I can understand why some people love it so when it's their first exposure to something like that and those who love crystal clear life sucking production.

But I do hope that most of you who do enjoy and accept that the guitars are supposed to be the background instruments kinda realize this really isn't death metal anymore. it's closer to power metal with blast beats. I guess that's why I'm not impressed I've heard similar items just done much better without sacrificing guitars or really what they were to begin with. I rather listen to Blind Guardian for over the top symphonics.

I'm done here I guess, there really isn't much else to be said that hasn't been covered. I understand why most of you enjoy it who actually do enjoy it and hopefully you can understand why I find it another disappointment.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 am 

BastardHead wrote:
SLK may come off like a fool sometimes, but I'm totally on his side here. How many albums with wretched cover art have actually turned out to be good recently? Like... the new Immolation and that's it?

Not to mention how much better than one was to Labyrinth.

Anyway, Master and Riot have some killer albums with terrible art.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 am 

You guys are the only ones who manage to make me curious about bad metal music sometimes. Well, I had one other exposure to the band before and I can't remember which album that was from--I didn't enjoy that either-- but this is so much worse. I'm not convinced even a good production would save this music. To the people who for some reason brought up burzum in this thread: When we say "good production", we actually mean "appropriate production".. You may not like Burzum but the production on many of his albums is completely appropriate to the music he is making. When you make music like Fleshgod's, which is supposed to contain many layers and zooms by at great speed, it's a especial challenge to get the right balance of sounds so that everything can be discerned with equal clarity and depth. This song does seem a true failure in that regard. From what I can make out of guitars, though, they aren't actually playing anything more interesting than what you could hear on a recent DImmu Borgir album, where the guitars, though much louder, have also taken a backseat to various other elements.

Also, wow, those drums sound terrible. It's great that they have a really fast drummer, but it's not much good if it may as well be a machine we are listening to. It's about as far away from sounding like an actual drum kit played by a guy in a room as I can think of, and that's not how I prefer my metal to sound...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 am 

Sounds like the interlude from Dimmu's Progenies with blasbeats. The guitars are acting like a bass for the keys, the death metal is totally absent, excepting the vocals.

The drums sounds fake as fuck; in fact the whole thing sounds like a massive VST masturbation.

DisruptioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm 

lol. As soon as they signed with nuclear blast the only possible outcome was this trash being churned out. Pathetic.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:59 pm 

DisruptioN wrote:
lol. As soon as they signed with nuclear blast the only possible outcome was this trash being churned out. Pathetic.

While I barely recall my first exposure to the band, it doesn't seem to me that they've really changed all that much. It's certainly crap though. :P
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

While I barely recall my first exposure to the band, it doesn't seem to me that they've really changed all that much. It's certainly crap though. :P

Only they signed to NB before Agony! :p

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 pm 

It's sad that people are generalising fans of Fleshgod Apocalypse "pop-metal". Sounds absolutely biased and uncalled for.
You'll be surprised by what some fans actually listen, you'll be surprised that they listen to the same thing as you do.
At the end of the day, bands don't make music to please EVERYBODY.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
It's sad that people are generalising fans of Fleshgod Apocalypse "pop-metal". Sounds absolutely biased and uncalled for.
You'll be surprised by what some fans actually listen, you'll be surprised that they listen to the same thing as you do.
At the end of the day, bands don't make music to please EVERYBODY.

I'm pretty sure Fleshgod is doing their absolute best to please as much people as possible. After all Agony was a commercial succes and that's why they didn't change their sound this time around.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 pm 

The album cover bugs me

Put some freaking characters on the cover :O

lol like this!

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

5 seconds in photoshop lol

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 pm 

Dude, you had one job!

This must be the most controversial thread for a band since a while, calm your tits guys.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

i realize my "minotaur" looks more like a Yetti now lol

but my point is there lol

and i get your game of thrones ref lol thats funny the artist had 1 job to make it interesting and failed lol

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
DisruptioN wrote:

This is what they used to sound like (song starts about 13 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQHqeHDz5mw

Compare that to this one we're hearing now. It's a big difference.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 pm 

I am not liking that new Fleshgod Apocalypse song, it is something about it where to me everything sounds horrible in the mix. Hopefully it will sound different on the actual CD.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm 

Don't kid yourself.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:50 pm 

Huh, not much to say...Excited though, Fleshgod is pretty cool, can't wait to see them in august!

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 am 

I'm excited. It seems to me that a lot of symphonic stuff gets too much hate from the "true" community. I listen to everything under the sun, from technical/brutal death metal to symphonic power metal. Yeah, I like a lot of aspects about their old stuff, but every band changes. Oracles was awesome, Mafia was awesome, Agony was awesome, and I'm sure that Labyrinth will be awesome! Listen to the music for what it is, not what you wish it was. If you want Fleshgod to sound different, go listen to Hour of Penance!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 am 

/Rant mode on:

I'm sick and tired of people pulling that insipid bullshit that X or Y is hated on excessively by the "true" community. I honestly think that the "true" community is a myth, because I've very rarely encountered someone disliking something because it isn't "cult" or "true" enough. If there's any sort of community that is quick to shit on other people's opinions, it's the "open minded brigade" that seem to storm any controversial thread claiming that anyone who disagrees with them is an elitist asshole who shits on anything that isn't ridiculously obscure and unknown. Take this thread for an example - a bunch of people have posted here saying that they don't like this for a variety of reasons; the production sucks, they think the symphonics are overdone (or badly done), whatever. These are legitimate reasons to dislike something. The only retort a lot of people who DO like this new song seem to have is "If you don't like it you're elitist!" which is a load of crap.

If the only defense people can think of to their liking something is that if others don't like it they're close-minded, then I'm going to make my own assumptions in kind. I'm going to assume that said people are nothing more than overly enthusiastic fanboys that would like anything anyone put out, as long as it had a certain band name attached to it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:52 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
This is what they used to sound like (song starts about 13 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQHqeHDz5mw

Compare that to this one we're hearing now. It's a big difference.

Hardly. The new one is merely drenched in incredibly irritating walls of synth, but the guitar work on Oracles is almost equally nondescript, and both have inhuman, machine drumming. The superfluous synth crap is equally uninteresting as the pseudo-classical lead guitars and the blindingly fast chugging that you can hear on the first album. The exaggerated synth prominence and terrible sound, as well as the shamelessly overblown pomp, just make it all even more annoying.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next