Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:39 pm 

Well wherever you are trying to get a job they are really strict. Hope for the bessss.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

The OP said it best himself-
Rock and roll is most goofily (and best) rock and roll when it's long haired working class white dudes armed with guitars over a vintage video camera.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:45 am 

One word: Hippies. Seriously, metal fashion is just hippie+biker.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 pm 

AsinineUsername wrote:
One word: Hippies. Seriously, metal fashion is just hippie+biker.

Yep. It's got nothing to do with historical Vikings, anyway: they loved their hair (combs are found all over Viking archaeological sites), but they often wore it short, unlike the long-haired Anglo-Saxons. (Both is privilege, of course. Princelings could afford flowing long hair, peasants had to worry about it getting in the way.) The more relevant idea of the Viking in nineteenth-century romantic nationalism was long-haired, of course, hence the influence.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:16 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
This thread is pure Lippyass bait.

I know this is unrelated, but is he gone for good? I had spent the last year away from the archives for no particular reason, but before I left he was still here.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:21 am 

baron samedi wrote:
But it's a fucking hassle and fuck this gay earth we live on where one has to cut his hair just to keep a steady job

That's because you live in Japan, dude.
I'm in Australia, I have long hair down to my back and I hold a steady job.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
I'm in Australia, I have long hair down to my back and I hold a steady job.

I never had trouble either.

The main thing is, however: long hair, clean; no beard, no unkempt otherwise; good work record, not stoned. etc.

Doesn't work if you're customer facing in a consumer area.

Often bosses will demand you cut your hair for a power game... you should just fellate them instead. It's an easier way to show total submission for $8 an hour.

Most people who get fired "for long hair" had other issues going on.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 am 

In modern society, you have to conform to some extent to survive. Unless you want to live on the fringe of society, you gotta play by their rules. It sucks shit, but thems the breaks.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 pm 

AsinineUsername wrote:
In modern society, you have to conform to some extent to survive. Unless you want to live on the fringe of society, you gotta play by their rules. It sucks shit, but thems the breaks.

Not really. Move to California or Austin and you'll be fine. You'll get paid less, but hey, it's worth it, right?

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:08 am 

inhumanist wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Remember that Sabbath were basically hippies.

:durr:
Sabbath were anti-hippies. They opposed their escapism and delusions of peace through love. Hippie culture was a tiny, short-lived movement that just happened to get a lot of attention.

Bullshit, Sabbath were definitely hippies; furthermore, they were absolute ardent advocates of escapism. What are so many of their early songs about? Reality? Did they acquire a notoriety for excessive drug use, often seen as the ultimate escapist activity.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 am 

Just because you like being high it doesn't mean you are ignoring inconvenient realities.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:11 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
AsinineUsername wrote:

Not really. Move to California or Austin and you'll be fine. You'll get paid less, but hey, it's worth it, right?

Not really sure what that's supposed to mean...

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Just because you like being high it doesn't mean you are ignoring inconvenient realities.

That kind of depends on what else is going on in your life, specifically what opportunities are passing.

I refer to the final chapter of Naked Lunch here, specifically the question of what "they" want and how does one push a penny around the world with one's own nose.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:36 am 

inhumanist wrote:

Theres a huge difference between 'liking being high' and the excessive drug use which Black Sabbath indulged in. But either way, do you think that hippies were just ignoring reality? To an extent, one of the clichés of hippie-ness has been the peace and love idea, but underpinning it was a drive for greater personal freedom which has largely been realised almost 50 years on. Hippies were able to normalise (to a degree) what was then considered deviance and Black Sabbath were riding that exact wave. I doubt that transgressives like Black Sabbath and metal and punk would have existed if it hippies hadn't come transgressing along before them. People write off hippies as being escapist whilst being utterly immersed in the reality that they helped BEGIN a movement towards.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

If you really want to go back to where the long hair in rock music started you have to go back to rock'n'roll and rockabilly. These people had that distinguishable style of hair which bands in England adopted. If you look at early Beatles pictures they had that whole teddy bear look going. When the music industry kicked in and took The Beatles under their wing they told them to start wearing suits instead of leather and at the same time they stopped the whole rockabilly hair style, but they didn't cut their hair and just hair dried it. If we look at them today they didn't have long hair, but back then they were sort of ridiculed and it was quite controversial, but the whole mop-top hairdo really clicked in for all the other bands at that time. I don't know how it really started, but the image of the Beatles was really made up by the industry so that's where it really started.

After the big bands started to experiment with drugs in 1965 and started to be in peace with nature and so on, and as it is naturally for the hair to just grow, they stopped cutting their hair. It evolved with the whole hippy movement in 1967, when everybody took drugs and grew their hair to a modern metalhead length. That's where metal comes from whether we metalheads like it or not, we owe the hippies a lot. Experimentation happened along with all types of drugs, and we had people trying to play heavy like Jimi Hendrix some people call it "acid rock". Black Sabbath came from that environment and all of them had long hair, along with bunch of similar bands. And as Black Sabbath became a staple for all hard rock/heavy psych bands later on for a few good years their image came with that and so all these bands had long hair. Along with Hard Rock bands had long till the 90s, when rock bands started to have shorter hair, but it stayed with heavy metal mainly due to headbanging and such.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

The symbolism behind long hair is obvious:

I don't have to obey the rules.

If it had no origins, people would have invented it. Like tattoos, group hugs, etc.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:34 am 

Conservationism wrote:
The symbolism behind long hair is obvious:

I don't have to obey the rules.

If it had no origins, people would have invented it. Like tattoos, group hugs, etc.

Dude, tattoos have origins. That's just ignant, dawg.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
But either way, do you think that hippies were just ignoring reality?

Black Sabbath did. That's why their sound was so confrontational while everyone else was getting folky and fruity.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2