Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AullidoSepulcral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm 

Yesterday I felt like recording a portion of a song I've working for about 3 months (complete song last's about 4:40 minutes), here are the results:

Everything made by me. Wanting to record it for real, but the drummer is an asshole and the other "band members" (our thing isn't formal yet, were just making a bunch of shit-noise for fun) can't because they just started school again, so that ain't happening any time soon.

There are minimal synchronisation issues, and the sound isn't great, main problem being that the bass is somewhat louder than the guitars, and the distortion is very muddy, but hey, I'm just a kid with audacity and a couple shitty amps and a piece of shit mic, what do you expect? Though it adds to the OS sound, so that's not to bad.

Any criticism is valid.

I highly recommend a good headset or else it will sound like crap, and you could hear the different things both guitars do at the same time.

Last edited by AullidoSepulcral on Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:06 pm 

Try Reaper instead of Audacity. It's shareware, but you don't have to buy immediately. You can pay whenever you want, and whenever you decide to pay it's only 50 bucks (and well worth it). A lot of us on here use Reaper. It comes with a ton of free effects, reverb, EQ, compression, delay, etc. And work on your microphone placement on your amps, even with shitty ones it'll help a lot. I can hear almost a black sabbathy sound in part of the beginning, so it does definitely have an old school vibe.

Definitely spend a lot of time perfecting your mic placement. Check this sound this guy gets out of a shitty marshall MG15, just using a standard Shure SM57.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9oMgW ... 4&index=95

AullidoSepulcral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 pm 

Thanks for the advice, but I'm gonna stick to audacity, $50 is somewhat of an amount in my country's coin, I literally could buy enough food for a person to eat for a month or two. I'll see in the future, now I'm gonna try the test version, if its worth it, 60 days is still a lot of time. As for the mic placement thing, is invalid in this case, since I connected the earphone out directly to the computer, no mic, if I had use the mic I used for singing, then it would be un-listenable.

BTW, checked out your band, and it sounds damn good man! Very damn good indeed! You sure know how to make some good Tech-Death! Looking forward for more stuff of yours. BTW Are the drums programmed? Or Real? They sound so clean If programmed, what program did you used?. Really liking "premeditated". How's that story about recording while overseas?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 pm 

You can use Reaper for 2 years without paying for it. Or 3. As long as you want, basically. It has a price, but they never force you to pay for it. And if you're running right into your computer, you might want to try some speaker cabinet simulators, that might help the sound be less fizzy. LePou has a great one that's super easy to use. LeCab v1.0. Totally free, as is all of his stuff:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

If you can't get a sound that you're happy with using your amp running into your computer, possibly try using some VST amps until you can upgrade your equipment. A good and extremely simple setup is the "LeGion" amp from that website, and "LeCab v 1.0" If you're running your guitar straight into your computer's mic input, just don't turn the gain knob up too high on the amp, or it can get noisy.

Thanks a bunch about that album! The drums are indeed programmed, I used EZDrummer. Pretty happy with that program overall, really simple to use and a pretty good tone. I'm going to upgrade to Superior Drummer soon and see how that goes. Check out my goregrind album on there called the grinding stone, it's free. And I had a ton of fun writing it.

The story behind that album was that I was stationed in South Korea for a year (I'm in the Army) and my wife was in California. I wrote that album about her being a serial killer (My wife is a metalhead) as a gift for her birthday. I wrote and recorded the entire thing sitting in my barracks room. The drums are EZDrummer, and the bass and guitars are all VST software. I'm gradually getting better at writing death metal, and I'm hoping to have another album out in maybe 6 months or so, and it'll be a lot more technical.

AullidoSepulcral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm 

Jesus fuck! Your wife sure got a MAN!, she should have become insane because of the sheer shock of its greatness. Oh yeah I heard your "grinding stone" EP, great stuff, great songwriting, tough I think a lower tuning will have deftly help to give it a more goregrind feel. The song titles are hilarious, my favorites are "pee hole torture" and "punched in the prolapsed rectum", I seriously can't even think about that last one without laughing my ass off. How did you record the vocals so you wouldn't annoy your room mates?

As is it seems, Superior Drummer is the ultimate drum programming software now days, only thing, $200 ain't something to just breeze about, but it sure is worth it.

I used hydrogen for the drums, is pretty easy to use, and is free and open source, only gripe I have about is that it has no global randomizer, not a great problem if the other randomizers are used. As for the amp sims, I have the problem that my sound card is pretty crap, so the latency is not great, though if used only for recording there's not much problem about it, got to try it out, but I would have to use guitarix instead of the ones you recommended me, because I'm on linux.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:58 pm 

I have enough rank that I had a room to myself, no room mates. That helped. And lots of wine. And I had a ton of fun with the song titles and lyrics, pee hole torture probably being my favorite. I don't know very much about Linux other than it's a lot more stable than windows, so unfortunately I can't recommend much there. I used hydrogen for a while, it's really user friendly. And if you look around you can find new sound clips that people have recorded, new drum kits and all, to get newer and better tones.

AullidoSepulcral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

Yeah, I personally used a mix of the "trash kit", and added the toms, cymbals and snare from the original kit.

I'm looking forward to enter the latest MA songwriting contest. I'm gonna make a story of a bum that becomes king of the world or something ridiculous like that. Or a story I was planning to write about some sort of delusion or opium induced trip that never materialized because I was lazy, now its time.

BTW, what do you think of the overall sound, and the song writing? Is the bass to loud? How are the drums?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:58 pm 

Bass was a bit too loud, guitars were thin and fizzy (make sure you're not cutting too much midrange and boosting the treble too much) and the drums needed some more fullness. The songwriting was a bit simple, but not bad. Definitely had an old school feel to it, so that's cool.

Reply to topic