Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:39 am 

First was dumb music for children that my parents bought, then whatever came on the radio, then when I hit puberty there was a certain period where I liked Limp Bizkit :oh shit: After that phase I only listened to, like, two different German pop punk bands plus The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Later I got into System Of A Down, then Rammstein, then around fourteen I discovered Metallica. The next few years was slowly coming to the realization that everything I liked up to that that point was complete garbage, and even the Metallica albums I first had were shit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am 

as a middle school kid I listened to only 2 artists rob zombie and weird al.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am 

skwid79 wrote:
as a middle school kid I listened to only 2 artists rob zombie and weird al.

On the bright side, you could most certainly do worse.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 pm 

Horrible shit. DON'T JUDGE ME!

Mostly, The Beatles and AC/DC, actually.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:29 am 

Nothing actively for most of my childhood, I do remember most of the 80's new wave and pop so that's probably why I love it so much nowadays. later on actively more so classical music. When I got a stereo for my birthday it was radio and tape only... The 2 main tapes I listened to were singles from Genesis and Information Society. I was given a ton of tapes by my dad's side of the family for xmas that they used cousin close to my age to pick out the tapes...which were some MC hammer, Vanilla Ice, and C&C Music Factory, :ugh: :thumbsdown: my mom gave me a Poison tape :ugh:
I'm honestly surprised I turned out actually listening to anything good since I was bombarded with crap. I didn't like any of that aside from those two singles. I pretty much just listened to the classical station constantly, esp while reading comics.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 am 

As a kid, I only had a radio and listened to lots of chart music, techno, and other stuff that was modern back in early 90s! This might be the reason why I'm quite immune to todays garbage music.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:37 am 

Let's see... I was a big Linkin Park fan up until they released Minutes to Midnight, which I thought blew, even at age 11/12. I occasionally hear their newer songs on the radio, and they don't even sound like the same band anymore!

I was pretty much into nu-metal/post-grunge, so bands like: Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Three Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Crossfade, 90's Korn, Deftones, and Three Days Grace.

KolmeNoitaa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 am 

All of my super-duper metalhead friends are all "I was born listening to Slayer!"
My childhood was not metal at all. I probably listened to Clay Aiken (the guy that won American Idol), Lindsay Lohan, Bowling For Soup, and Cascada. When I entered middle school, I began getting into more rock, alternative genres. I started listening to Simple Plan, Green Day, and My Chemical Romance. I remember a classmate in my music class in sixth grade said to me "I love Slipknot, listen to this song!" I listened to whatever song it was that he wanted to show me and I remarked, "This is horrible! You can't even understand what they're saying!"
It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school that I began to move more towards metal.

Autumnia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 am 

My parents were fans of Queen , (The) Headpins , Deep Purple,ZZ Top,Motorhead, AC/DC and of course Abba,Michael Jackson and Smokey , so pretty much that was the music that played in our house.I hated their music and I wasn't really understanding the music that was broadcasted on TV/radio either .When I was 9 years old I had my very first "serious" contact with metal music -> Nightwish. At that time I was taking piano lessons and I was pretty much into ..."soft " classic music and opera so for me Nightwish was "the very first one".Then my mother became a fan of HIM and I easily felt for the band too.Four years later my father took me to see Motorhead live and made me change forever my opinion about my parents' "horrible , noisy music".

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm 

Everything.
It was in the 70's, I had a radio/cassette player and used to tape songs I liked. Genres meant nothing to me. Big band, Elvis, Queen, Deep Purple, all good.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 am 

Christian music and modern rock! HA! When I was 15 I came to discover metal!!!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Myrtroen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:15 pm 

Platinum Blonde and Europe were my two first "fave" bands back in the glorious 1980's, then I purchased the "...And Justice for All" album when it was on the Top Forty shelf, followed quickly by a cassette of "Garage Days Re-revisited" and the rest is history. I guess Europe is considered metal but Platinum Blonde was a Canadian new wave band that sang about aliens and space, so I was hooked.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 pm 

KoRn and AFI

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:43 am 

Well, let's see:

I started off listening (passively) to what my Ma listened to, which was a lot of horrible mid-90's Nashville country. She also had a Metallica tape, (Load, I think it was),  and seeing as how it was darker and louder than what she usually played, I asked to hear that. I also listened to the fuck out of the grunge/alt rock shit that was everywhere at the time (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Silverchair, Collective Soul). Things took off from their, and every time we went to the thrift store, I'd look through the used cassettes. I found other Metallica tapes as well as Slayer, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and the Ramones. Eventually, I found some Black Flag tapes and that got me really into punk & hardcore for awhile (skateboarding+hardcore = <3). I was browsing through a record store some years later and saw "Butchered At Birth" and thought" Woah!", so I had to have it. After that came Deicide, Morbid Angel, Entombed.  I also was looking for more stuff like that Black Flag tape, so I found Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Bad Brains (which I didn't like at first) and Bad Religion. From that point, I investigated stuff like crust, powerviolence, skramz and (though I hated it at first) grindcore. In the last 6 years or so, I've been listening to a lot of alternative/chopped & screwed  hip-hop, American folk and older/alt. country, bluegrass, industrial and noise. 

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:04 am 

I didn't really start listening to music until I was 12 and got into Metallica, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth. Then when I was 14 I got into the then ongoing thrash resurgence and was big into Warbringer, Evile, Violator, etc. Then dug back and became a huge Overkill fan, got into the underground classics like Violence, Toxik, Deathrow, etc., semi sorta got into death and black metal but never really beyond the more well known stuff, and now I mainly listen to Fall Out Boy and Blink 182.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 am 

I was very interested in Marilyn Manson (I thought it was black metal) and Metallica. Looking back, I could have done much worse, and my tastes completely circumvented nu-metal.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 am 

I grew up on The Beatles very early on. As a four year old, Penny Lane was my favorite song because I had a thing for firetrucks and hence I colloquially called it "The Firetruck Song". At 9 or 10, my obsession with the band could be said to have been a bit unhealthy. I used to fantasize about being one of them. A couple years later, I got more into other oldies bands which my sister used to tease me about it because liking oldie bands wasn't exactly hip at that age. I still love oldie rock (but not the bubble gum crap).

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 am 

My mum was into Mike Oldfield, and his song with Maggie Reilly "Moonlight Shadow" is permanently etched in my brain, and has one of the best guitar solos ever. My step-father got me into Led Zeppelin, and my foster brother got me into Metallica (Ride the Lightning). But for all the ockers on here in the know (and just to prove I have a dark dark secret more grim than yours) one of my first tapes was of the Cockroaches, who reached world-wide fame when they became the Wiggles.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm 

During my youth, pretty much just what my mom and dad listened to, classic rock. Fed a steady stream of Doors, Zeppelin, Stones, Lynard Skynard (from my dad) as well as Jackson Browne, Dooby Brothers, Bob Seger, Journey (from my mom) and that lasted up until I caught a countdown show on VH-1 hosted by Carmen Electra, the 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock, which inspired my metal leanings after being impressed enough with the snippets to track down Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

mbauer8286
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 am 

My story is similar to most on here, but a little more drawn out than average...

Classic rock as a child, then a wide range of alt rock / nu metal / pop punk bands that I heard on the radio, for most of my teenage years and into my '20s. My favorite bands were Godsmack, Metallica, System of a Down, and Rammstein. Actually, my first concert ever was in 2004, when I saw Godsmack touring with Metallica, which were my two favorite bands at the time. How cool is that!

I don't know why it took me such a long time to seek out music outside of what was played on the radio. I guess I never really knew many other people who were into metal, even to this day only a couple of my friends listen to heavy metal. My introduction to heavy metal came a couple years ago when I bought a new car that came with a 6-month Sirius radio subscription, haha... I listened to Liquid Metal and eventually started seeking out some of the bands I was hearing.

btw, long time lurker here but I'll try to start posting a little more, this site has been a great resource

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:47 am 

Well, you know, Indonesia since then (since about 1970's maybe?) has been known as a country that most of the mainstream music bands only sing about 95% love, heartbroken etc. and 5% non-love based themes. So I remember that the musics I listened to were more pop and sometimes, pop rock and alt. rock. About non-Indonesian music, I listened to Muse, My Chemical Romance, Mika, Lily Allen, and Avril Lavigne (I also have a Hillary Duff cassette tape, but I seldom listened to it).

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:17 pm 

Mostly radio stuff, oldies, Pink Floyd, Beatles and whatever else I could find in my dad's vinyl collection (we're talking late 80ies, early 90ies, when I was a kid), until I discovered hard music like Iron Maiden, Deep Purple or Nirvana (yes, at the time I thought that was hard music, especially the "In Utero"-album that I still like today) when I was like 10, 11.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 am 

It would have been mostly pop stuff. Video Hits wit Samantha Taylor. I watched that show every day at 4:30. Platinum Blonde and Duran Duran are two that I remember more than others. My parents also had an 8 track of Kiss's Dynasty that I loved. About the only thing metal would have been Twisted Sister who's "I Wanna Rock" and "We're Not Gonna Take It" were popular. My favourite during that time was Gowan. His were the first tapes that I owned. The last time I heard "Strange Animal" I still knew most of the words.

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm 

The earliest memory I can think of is when I was 4-5 years old, I played the fighting game Bloody Roar a lot, and I don't know why, but the music that was put throughout the actual game-playing really captivated me. It was kind of like a Speed/Power Metal sound and I really loved it. Throughout my childhood though, I listened to pretty much anything, especially local Rock Stations.

Now, what captivated me the most was when I was 8, while playing Need For Speed Underground, 'The Only' by Static-X came out. Instantly loved it, and I had to find out more about them. Two years later, pretty much knew how to use the internet, and there I found out about mp3 downloaded (Bearshare). While downloading Static-X songs, a song by Slipknot suddenly showed up, so I downloaded and my god, my 10-11 year old self fell in love with them, so Slipknot became my first favorite band. As time passed I wanted heavier-type of music, so with Slipknot, I came to know Avenged Sevenfold, then Thrash bands like Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, etc., where eventually I listened Arch Enemy, Kalmah and Children of Bodom.

Three years later, one day my cousin (who is not a Metalhead at all) suggested me to check out Dream Theater. Didn't know who they were, so I downloaded one of their songs because, why the fuck not? I remember precisely the song I downloaded, In The Presence of Enemies pt.1. And holy shit...that moment was a huge day for me. As I listened to the song I just thought 'How the hell did they come up with THAT?' So, bye bye Slipknot, hello Dream Theater! Since then DT became my favorite band (and they still are). With DT I discovered many Progressive Rock and Metal bands, eventually becoming my favorite Metal/Rock genre, and with DT I basically gathered the interest in listening to other sub-genres.

My bad if it's a bit lengthy :lol: but yeah, that be my story.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 am 

I didn't even get into "bands" until I was like 15. All i listened to was video game music. Megaman x series made me a metalhead before I even knew it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 pm 

I grew up listening to a lot of classical stuff like Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mozart and the like, but once I got to the 5-7 year old stage I started listening to the same crap everyone else did.. the very first CD I remember ever getting was that Who let the dogs out album from the baha men one Christmas.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 am 

Let's see if I can remember.

In middle school.. I listened to stuff like 50 Cent, Chingy, basically anything that would be on "Now That's What I call music"

Then one day my dad bought "Mob Rules - Black Sabbath" and played it on the way home and I loved it, so I gradually got into metal more and more going into my freshman year in High school, then I went into the different sub-genres, etc.

Corpus_Chain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:33 am 

I think there are a few people telling porkies in this thread...
I think the OP expected that, given their use of 'be honest' ...

And the ones who are honest seem so apologetic for their listening tastes as a child. I mean, come on:

a) Nothing wrong with half the music listed anyway
b) Even if you genuinely thought 50 Cent or the Spice Girls was the most transcendent thing you'd ever heard, you were a child! When I was a child, I married someone in the playground, was scared of talking to people and thought £1 was a fortune!

My first purchases were:

Wet Wet Wet - Greatest Hits (cassette)
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (CD)
Mr. Blobby - The Blobby Song (CD)
Robson and Jerome - Robson and Jerome (CD)

All quality stuff.

Has anyone else ever been through phases of being really into a certain kind of music, then moving to the next one, throughout life?

For me, it was:

<14 pretty much anything I heard on the radio or my Dad's stereo. No particular style.
14-16 Nu-metal
15-18 Drum n Bass
18-19 Hip-hop
19-20 metal
20-23 metal (getting more extreme) (black metal especially)
24-25 Hard Trance
25-29 metal
27-29 doom metal
29-30 folk

There are others, but for times, I forgot about metal and went right into something else, before coming back to metal.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 pm 

Jazz, light rock, and a little bit of classical, which was what my parents played in the car. Even so, my favorites were the quasi-hard rock songs like Revolution and Bodhisattva. When I was ten, I heard Paranoid and I Love Rock and Roll on the radio, and I never looked back (well, maybe a little).

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

mike584
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am 

I early years were so not metal...at all. My musical "tastes" were all over the place. I do remember my very first cassette (hey anyone here remember those??) being the Aerosmith single "Take Me To The Other Side" from the album Pump, which I got shortly after that when I was 5. But then that's where everything else was different...drastically. I had everything from Bel Biv Devoe and the second Bobby Brown album to pure shit like Taylor Dane and Black Box. I even had the "More Than Words" single from Extreme and a Bon Jovi tape and questioning whether the smiling face on the cover was a guy or girl. lmao

When I was eleven I heavily got in to The Beatles and that was the slow beginning of me becoming a metalhead, believe it or not. I had gotten in to some alt rock like Bush and the Foo Fighters. Then in the 7th grade a friend of mine turned me on to Korn (this was 1996/1997) and that shit was the heaviest shit I ever heard in my life at that point. I had also seen the video to "Torniquet" from Manson and I thought it was amazing considering was I was used to. Because of the musical climate in the late 90's I was also into Blink 182 - this is before Anema of the State)

Thankfully I bought Black Sabbath Paranoid after the 8th grade and my course was set after that. At this point I was also into Megadeth but only because of Cryptic Writings and it wouldn't be until high school that I'd get into the really good stuff from them, which had a PROFOUND influence on me. By my final 2 years in high school I was probably the ONLY one in my high school that was listening to the likes of Sabbath, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Iron Maiden and Down. In 2001/2002 the big thing was pop-punk thanks to Blink and emo since Weezer made a comeback. Me? I was the one guy NOT in to that shit at all. And then came college and my tastes just got darker, and darker, and darker. :evil:

MustaSkorpioni09
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm 

Let me think. Aqua, Back Street Boys, Spice Girls, and Disney. When I discovered metal/rock it was Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails. It grew from there and I kept adding to my collection. As of right now I listen to metal from Germany, Finland, Norway, Brazil ect. Too many to add to the list. I do listen to Britney Spears. (I can hear you guys now banging on my front door with your torches and pitchforks) But her music just like metal got me out of some pretty bad times. Heck if stay alive that means I get to enjoy more metal/video games/anime/ect. Blessed Be everyone!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:46 pm 

MustaSkorpioni09 wrote:
Let me think. Aqua, Back Street Boys, Spice Girls, and Disney. When I discovered metal/rock it was Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Prodigy, Nine Inch Nails. It grew from there and I kept adding to my collection. As of right now I listen to metal from Germany, Finland, Norway, Brazil ect. Too many to add to the list. I do listen to Britney Spears. (I can hear you guys now banging on my front door with your torches and pitchforks) But her music just like metal got me out of some pretty bad times. Heck if stay alive that means I get to enjoy more metal/video games/anime/ect. Blessed Be everyone!

Quit necromancing ancient threads.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4