Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:12 am 

Vocals are low in the mix but I'm all for it, such a welcome change from the ridiculous levels most bands use. I just can't get over how guttural the bass and guitar combo is throughout and it's quite apparent that they are the highest in the mix, which is my preference. Hell has frozen over and Gorguts are back!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 am 

This song sounds fantastic, from 3:40 onwards I was just sitting here with a stupid look on my face going "Holy shit," (though that might just be how I normally look). I'm 1000x more hyped for this now than I was (and I was already hyped for it). The production seems like it'll take a bit of getting used to, but I found it growing on me substantially as the song progressed.

samukinson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:45 am 

MORE STUFF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 am 

lol did you actually post [youtube] [/youtube] ? Oh I see you corrected it. Also this song has already been linked up... it's not 'more stuff'

i preordered the vinyl and cd, I didn't make it in time to get the yellow/orange one but I got the clear one. It'll look nice next to my Obscura one.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:01 am 

Never given these guys much of a thought before- tried Obscura once, rather disliked it, but I'm really enjoying that Forgotten Arrow tune and I'll definitely be checking this album out. Reminded me somewhat of Njiqhdda's Path of Liberation From Birth and Death. Loving the weird melodies and strange vibes throughout :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

i prefer the more open sounding old school growling over the deep grunting thats prevalent nowadays and luc is pretty good at this.

New stuff sounds good, cant wait for the album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm 

On the issue of Luc's vocals. I have always found them more interesting and expressive than your typical gurgle or roar.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm 

There are no issues with Luc's vocals. They are fantastic, as usual.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 pm 

Right, I just sold something of about the same value as the t-shirt + CD combo so I'll pre-order that bad boy quick smart :nods:

Edit: done! CD + t-shirt combo ordered

Last edited by dreadmeat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 am 

Wow, this new song totally kicked my ass. Even better than I expected. I'm really looking forward to this.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 pm 

Seems different than what I'm used to hearing from Gorguts, but very awesome nonetheless. Quite atmospheric for them actually, but more in the way that Deathspell Omega is atmospheric. Very mindfucking, and very crushing especially that section from 3:40 to the end (to all the stupid chuggeriffic core bands out there, THAT'S how you write a slam). Definitely excited, and just hoping they don't pull a Morbid Angel on us (knock on wood).

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 pm 

I'm surprised they spelled Color the American way when they're a Canadian band. Not that it really matters, I'm just really surprised it wasn't "Coloured"...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:25 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I'm surprised they spelled Color the American way when they're a Canadian band. Not that it really matters, I'm just really surprised it wasn't "Coloured"...
Ha ha I was wondering that myself when I saw it, maybe it's so it doesn't look too weird to the Americans? :lol:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:21 pm 

God damn. This is awesome, wonderfully unsettling and atmospheric. The production is great also, really love the heavy mixing of the bass and it works really well with the guitar tone.

I really should be saving my cash these days but fuck it, vinyl pre-order has been placed.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:01 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
He.. I'm surprised it's not "Coulored" :)

I think that most French speaking Québecers learn English through a variety of sources, and English Canadian sources aren't really predominant. The English which is taught in the Québec school system may use the Canadian spellings, but the classes are generally terrible and no one really learns anything.

ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 pm 

Just got around to listening to the new song. Fucking killer. Vocals sound great and are right where they need to be in the mix, I think. I don't like vocals to be too up front in most death metal anyway.

Going to preorder the CD (and maybe the t-shirt) tomorrow hopefully.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:29 pm 

I enjoyed the bloody hell out of that song. So damn interesting and heavy at the same time.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:06 pm 

androdion wrote:
Considered Dead
The Erosion Of Sanity
Obscura
From Wisdom To Hate

... Colored Sands?! :???:

You have to admit that it stands out like a sore thumb, doesn't it?!

Yes. It's the nu-core influence.

This album wasn't as bad on that front as I feared.

However, it's also just not that interesting, and the rant-style lyrics and vocal delivery undermine any power it does have.

The two middle albums are still my favorites -- The Erosion of Sanity && Obscura.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:53 pm 

Conservationism wrote:

Say what now? Nu-core? :scratch:

Last edited by Gypaetus on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 am 

Conservationism wrote:

However, it's also just not that interesting, and the rant-style lyrics and vocal delivery undermine any power it does have.

The two middle albums are still my favorites -- The Erosion of Sanity && Obscura.

Uhm you have no idea what you are talking about. Esp about the vocal delivery esp if you say Obscura is a favorite cause that's the only delivery that's used on that album. And it was used a bit on Erosion as well.

nu-core... god some of you people are just beyond help.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Uhm you have no idea what you are talking about. Esp about the vocal delivery esp if you say Obscura is a favorite cause that's the only delivery that's used on that album. And it was used a bit on Erosion as well.

Amen to that.

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:13 pm 

Sounds great. Surprised no one has mentioned how Portal influenced the last section of the song sounds.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm 

It reminds me of Negativa more than Gorguts, well maybe Obscura Gorguts
I'm gagging to hear the full album! I've never been more excited about a new album, apart from the last Cianide :headbang:

Did I mention I pre-ordered it the other day? :nods:

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:40 pm 

Love the cover art, love Forgotten Arrows, and I'm very excited for this album now. I'll need next weeks paycheck before I can preorder it, but it's definitely a priority for me.

caspian wrote:
Reminded me somewhat of Njiqhdda's Path of Liberation From Birth and Death. Loving the weird melodies and strange vibes throughout :)

Njiqahdda have cited Gorguts as an influence before, and you can pick up bits and pieces of it on their other albums as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm 

just due to the meantion of Njiqahdda and how some people are reminded of them listening to this track and you saying they have cited them as an influence I went and checked them out.

I dig, so thank you all of that. Even with the horrible guitar tones used on this specific album that was meantioned.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 am 

Good song, hope the rest is as good, if not better. Looking forward to this album... :)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Ha ha I was wondering that myself when I saw it, maybe it's so it doesn't look too weird to the Americans? :lol:

I doubt that they care much about what looks weird to uSAmericans. :P

Haven't really looked at this whole thread nor checked the relevant info, but if the label that's releasing this is a US one they will probably adopt the US spelling. THa'ts how it works in the book publishing industry at least...Canadian books published by US companies alter the spelling to fit the norms in the USA.

I really like that "FOrgotten Arrows" song actually. Very contemplative and not at all like today's technical death metal. I didn't really expect them to ever go more extreme than Obscura as that album is pretty much the apex of death metal extremity while still remaining, well, death metal. Anyway I'm happy they're back and I shall definitely look into getting my hands on this soon.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
It reminds me of Negativa more than Gorguts, well maybe Obscura Gorguts
I'm gagging to hear the full album! I've never been more excited about a new album, apart from the last Cianide :headbang:

Did I mention I pre-ordered it the other day? :nods:

This will probably be the first album I'll buy in the last 5 years or so. Totally regretting giving away my Gorguts back catalogue

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 pm 

schizoid wrote:
This will probably be the first album I'll buy in the last 5 years or so. Totally regretting giving away my Gorguts back catalogue
Their stuff turns up on Trade Me fairly often, keep your beady eye peeled mate.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm 

The new song is better than I could have imagined. The leads, the huge ending to the song, the vocals, the mix... Just great all around. I noticed how the vocals sit in the mix right away and I'm pretty happy with what they did. Overly loud vocals can be pretty obnoxious.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Conservationism wrote:

Yeah, those were some pretty imbecilic statements.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm 

That was just okay for me. I'll give it a few more listens so it sinks in, but it doesn't seem to appeal to my taste.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm 

ld50 wrote:

Let me know when you do something impressive with your intellect.

Mike_235 wrote:
That was just okay for me. I'll give it a few more listens so it sinks in, but it doesn't seem to appeal to my taste.

Taste? Or the fact that it's bland?

It's not easy to make a quality metal album. There's all the technical stuff, and then you have to actually put content in it.

The new Gorguts is contrived, and thus lukewarm. They're not the first metal band to make this mistake.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:25 am 

Conservationism wrote:
ld50 wrote:

Let me know when you do something impressive with your intellect.

Mike_235 wrote:

Taste? Or the fact that it's bland?

It's not easy to make a quality metal album. There's all the technical stuff, and then you have to actually put content in it.

The new Gorguts is contrived, and thus lukewarm. They're not the first metal band to make this mistake.

I'm not a musician and I don't actually know much about the technical aspect of making music, but I do know when I like something or not, and this song just didn't really do it for me.

Bland music isn't to my taste, so yes - taste. Though calling it bland would be another way to put it, sure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am 

Conservationism you can have an opinion on something and that's fine. But your opinion is pretty far off what's actually fact. And just because most of us disagree with your statements doesn't make us wrong to state such. Develop some thicker skin if you dislike when someone calls you on what really sounds like tryhard disgust on something that doesn't merit it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 am 

Plus, this is only one song on an album that's probably going to be fairly long. If you don't like it, cool, ain't no skin off my dick. But claiming it has "nu-core" elements and that it "sounds contrived" warrants a little bit of an explanation, because quite frankly, I can't for the life of me hear what you're talking about.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am 

Dragunov wrote:
because quite frankly, I can't for the life of me hear what you're talking about.

Welcome to the interwebz.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:26 pm 

I got my 'payment received' email from Season Of Mist, they'll be shipped out a week early it said.
I'm wondering if my CD + t-shirt will come from France or America

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm 

Now we have the real dilemma: which color wax to pre-order?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
because quite frankly, I can't for the life of me hear what you're talking about.

Welcome to the interwebz.

Uhh, what?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:29 pm 

gamblor wrote:
Now we have the real dilemma: which color wax to pre-order?
No sand coloured one I noticed... :roll:

Also you'd better get stuck in, they are selling out of vinyl
http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en/bands/gorguts/913

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next