Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 pm 

This is quite a strange request, but I was listening to The Great Old One's debut album Al Azif, and I found something highly amusing. The riff in the song 'Visions of R'lyeh', starting at 4:07 is strikingly similar to the start of the Song of Healing from Majora's Mask.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other examples where bands have done this kind of thing, not including covers of video game songs or anything like that. I'm talking about seemingly ripping a riff/riffs from a video game song then incorporating it into their own material, as the example provided is the only time I've come across this (not including covers).

As this is more of a novelty request than anything else, I don't mind too much what genre. If you could provide a youtube link video game song as well as your recommendation that would be fantastic as I may not be familiar with the game (or song) otherwise.

Thanks!

Edit: Similar cases but with songs from movie soundtracks instead of video games will be fine as well if you want to rec those.

Last edited by Gypaetus on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 pm 

Uh, the beginning of Wurzelbert by Equilibrium always reminded me of the Castle Theme from Zelda: Link to the Past. It's not guitar riffs, but I figure that you'd appreciate the response nonetheless!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 am 

Thanks, I'll check it out shortly. Don't worry, I know the request is a strange one :P I wasn't expecting to get much in the way of replies as it's such a weird request. I just found it interesting is all (whether it's a coincidence or uh, 'inspiration' I'm not sure re: The Great Old Ones) and figured I'd see if any other bands had done something similar.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 am 

I can't help you with video games, but however I do know that Shining have stole (or rather "borrowed") riffs from the Inception and 28 Weeks Later soundtrack in their new album "Redefining Darkness", eg:

Inception

Original -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

Shining Version- 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-hHx3fazw

28 Weeks Later

Original-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6OtF7daIPM

Shining Version-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-hHx3fazw#t=7m33s

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 pm 

Hahaha that's awesome, cheers Syntek. I updated the OP to include movie soundtracks in the request as well based on that. You've inspired me to check out Shining as well, they sound pretty good. That's some real obvious 'borrowing' going on there though, so I'm torn between thinking "oh cool, black metal versions of those movie soundtracks I like!" and "Shining just ripped this from a movie, that's lazy as shit". I guess the latter's to be expected with this request though, as it's exactly what I was asking for :lol:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:26 pm 

I dunno if it counts as a movie per se, but I've got a feeling Iron Mask were big fans of Fullmetal Alchemist...

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:39 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I dunno if it counts as a movie per se, but I've got a feeling Iron Mask were big fans of Fullmetal Alchemist...

Oh wow, yeah. The similarity is definitely there, without being a direct copy of it which is nice to hear. I'm not much of a fan of power metal but I found Iron Mask pretty enjoyable, so thanks very much! :D I might check out more from them at some point.

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Uh, the beginning of Wurzelbert by Equilibrium always reminded me of the Castle Theme from Zelda: Link to the Past. It's not guitar riffs, but I figure that you'd appreciate the response nonetheless!

I finally checked out your rec, that's awesome! Pretty much exactly what I had in mind with this thread :thumbsup:

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:45 pm 

I don't think that this is a true ripoff, but the Final Fantasy prelude song always sounded a lot like the intro to Sepultura's "Beneath the Remains" to me.

Judge for yourself:

Final Fantasy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUs_6-d5T3g

Sepultura:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTrevt0rP74

Yes, I am aware that Final Fantasy I came out in 1987 and Beneath the Remains in 1989, but the reason I don't think Sepultura ripped off FF is that I'm not sure if anyone in the band has ever played the game.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 am 

Black metal band Filii Nigrantium Infernalium must be Star Wars fans since they start playing The Imperial March at the end of the song Calypso.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 am 

@Therizinosaur: I can see where you'd get the resemblance from, but I'd agree with you that they didn't rip off FF or anything as it didn't really sound that similar to me. Thanks anyway though!

@Doomsday: I listened to the whole track thinking "where's star wars going to fit in here?" and there it was. Hahaha that was highly amusing (in a good way), thanks for the rec!

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm 

Maroon - Reach the Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nIS1CTOrk

the solo around 3:20 contains the main melody of Hall of the mountain king (Grieg's version)

Reply to topic