Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 pm 

e
B
G
D 12" 10"
A 0" 0"
E

what do u call chords where they are open on one string and fingerred anywhere on the string below? a good example would be the first few notes to Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger. Someone told me these are open chords, which sounds ok, but how do you go about naming the particular chord on the fretboard (ie A, E, etc)

i have been using chords like these since i started playing like 4 years ago but dont know much about them except that they sound sufficiently evil and that Burzum and Darkthrone seem to like using them now and then.

can anyone help?

hesychasmsa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:14 pm 

This is probably in the wrong forum, it should probably go in the musicians forum.

However, the problem with trying to name chords like that it could be several different chords (or parts of chords) depending on the context (especially what the bass and/or 2nd guitar is playing).

For example, using that Darkthrone riff you mentioned:

D-12
A-0

The notes are A and D, which could be: Asus4 (D is the 4th of A), D5 1st inversion (where the root note is actually the higher note) or even Gsus2 (if the bass/2nd guitar was playing the root note of G). I'm sure I could think up several more obscure chords that these notes could be a part of.

The point is, find out what the context is. So if D is in fact the root note of Transilvanian Hunger (which it looks to be), then the chord progression will be named in that context, because it's unlikely that the first chord in a song in the key of D would be a first inversion of the 4th or a sus2 of the minor 7th. So it would look like this:

D-12--10--9---10
A-0---0---0---0

And would be named as: Asus4, Am, Asus2, Am
Youtube For originals

LuoaR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:47 pm 

hey thanks a lot amigo.

i meant to post it in the musicians board unfortunately i dont travel around MA boards too frequently and made a mistake.

feel free to shut this down now, mods, my question is answered!

Reply to topic