Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 pm 

I'll curse that project for you as well!

I really like jacksons and deans, but I think it's best if you kinda just go try out some stuff that you actually can at get ahold of.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:51 am 

Yeah that's a problem for me since I live in a sparsely populated region. The largest music store in a 6 hour radius has maybe 5 left-handed models on the floor to try. I regret not learning right-handed, but it wasn't my choice and it's probably too late now haha. Leaning towards a Schecter Hellraiser because of the EMG pickup combo, mahogany body, and stratocaster-ish shape.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15 am 

Good guitar, definitely. Just not for me because I don't like EMGs at all. But hey, if they're good enough for Jeff Loomis...

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:00 am 

somefella wrote:
Good guitar, definitely. Just not for me because I don't like EMGs at all. But hey, if they're good enough for Jeff Loomis...

Which pickups do you use and why do you like them?
Just curious for opinions and input.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 am 

I don't like EMGs or active pickups in general because of the comparatively flat response. Heavy, sure, but less of your picking dynamics come through(hard or soft hits on the strings, for example). Think of a big club compared to a sharp sword, if you will. But some people dig clubs, just saying.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 am 

I also like Schecter's though I don't have one. Been thinking of picking up an 8 string version of what you were talking about.
I don't mind active pickups it all depends on what I'm playing.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:57 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I also like Schecter's though I don't have one. Been thinking of picking up an 8 string version of what you were talking about.

I had the C-7 Hellraiser (string-thru) for a long time before I sold it, and it is still one of the most solid guitars I've ever owned. I got a chance to try the 8-string version a few weeks back and it felt pretty much the same as the C-7, so I definitely recommend it. The Blackjack 8-stringer that Schecter makes is also a damn fine guitar, and it has an ebony fretboard to boot. I figure you can't go wrong with either one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:03 pm 

that's great to hear because I've tried the 7 string version but didn't buy it immediately and when I decided to purchase it from the shop that had it. it had already been sold. I probably will get one before the year's out. it all depends on if I can stop buying other gear instead.

also yest finished tracking and recording the Dragunov ep. we have 15 tracks and it's probably around 8 mins long.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:11 pm 

You should totally give me a shout-out in the liner notes if you ever put out a physical copy. :p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

you speak as if I don't put out physical copies of my material! hahahaha. everything I ever do is put out. Digital anything isn't anything at all in my opinion.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:48 pm 

Oh no I know, I guess I should've worded that a bit better!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm 

Yea, indeed, I throw you a heads up in the liner. I would've been working on the mix today but I came down with aids so my head is throbbing. I couldn't get a damn thing done cause I can't focus. I've spent all day just watching Game of Thrones.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 pm 

AIDS will do that to ya!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:23 pm 

I know. I've pretty much watched all the 2nd season. I have 2 left and I'll watch them tonight for dinner. played a bit of max payne 3 and got sick of that quick.

I won an auction for a 2nd Sunn Enforcer.. it went for 365. But I didn't meet the reserve. So I asked him what the reserve was and he told me 1100 and I could make a serious offer to him for it cause where else would i find one in that good of condition. I laughed in his face and said right in my shed with all my other gear. I just wanted a 2nd one for shits and giggles and that he wasn't going to ever get that much for it and that mine was in better condition. I hate idiots like that. He clearly didn't know what they are worth cause sorry to say it, though it's rare not many people know of them nor care to bother to get one. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay and I was willing to pay 400 for the condition of his.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm 

Only seen the first season, but I read the books! And those Sunn Enforcers are sweet, but not $1100 sweet. Some people...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:47 pm 

I know, I guess he figures since it's a rarity it's worth a pretty penny. The thing is most people haven't heard of them including Sunn enthusists. Many aren't even sure what they are fully capable of or their tone for the most part. As far as I know the only one who has actually recorded with them is me. the ones Ted used he only did for a tour or two.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:54 pm 

I love game of thrones. I've seen all that's been put out so far, so I'm re-watching them at the moment.

I'm getting a pine Jazzcaster/Telemaster body (jazzmaster outer shape, routed for telecaster hardware and pickups), and I'm going to throw some single coil sized humbuckers in it, black hardware, and stain it dark red. Possible a red to black burst. For some reason I like old fenders, even though they usually aren't the best for metal. And I love pine guitars. This one will be used mostly for my hard rock/stoner metal project, and for much of my VST-based recording, since my main guitar has super hot pickups and audio interfaces don't really like it. It'll be nice to have a different sound though, to add some color to my music. And I can't stress enough how happy I am with my Focusrite iTrack solo. It sounds great, and every day I use it I'm reminded of how shitty my PreSonus Audiobox USB sounds. I'm going to try to write the lyrics for my songwriting challenge song today if I have time. Getting down to the wire there.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 pm 

I haven't seen anything of the 3rd season. I've been just waiting till they were released on blueray and getting the special boxed set of them. thus far it has worked out well for me except for one moron posting a still from the show on the 3rd season that ruins a key moment in the show. I'm no longer friends with that idiot.

I'm not fond of fenders, I just don't like the way they feel when I play them nor their more twangy tone.

i'm still sick but I might try to do vocals for this Mykridia split... I did 2 tracks. I'm shot.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:05 pm 

I love Fenders and have owned a couple of Stratocasters over the years, the way I fret notes and do bends really caters to those types of guitars. infinitenexus, that plan for your guitar sounds absolutely awesome, and is somewhat similar to an idea me and a friend of mine had a while back. Keep us posted as to how the development of that guitar goes!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:20 pm 

Will do. I should be getting most of the parts within a week or so, and I'll start putting it together and post pics on here. A couple years ago I built a telecaster/flying v hybrid: Telecaster neck, flying V body made from birdseye pine, telecaster bridge and hardware. I used a single coil sized humbucker with it and it ended up being one of my favorite guitars. I gave it to a friend because I had too many. I kinda want to build one again. One of the best things about pine guitars is that not only do they sound good, but the wood is super cheap. You just have to be a little careful with it, since it's soft.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

I'm not fond of fenders, I just don't like the way they feel when I play them nor their more twangy tone.

I actually don't like the tone of Fenders either. I just love the shape of the Jazzmaster, and the history of the Telecaster always appealed to me, as well as the simplicity of the bridge also holding the bridge pickup. So I'm basically trying to make a metal guitar out of two of the least metal electric guitars, haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm 

I've heard some telecasters sound really good used for some heavier and metallic stuff. I just really hate playing them. Putting them in my hands = throwing them around across the room. I only like Fender's basses.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:18 am 

Jim Root's signature guitar is a telecaster as well. It sounds really good, but I absolutely hate the look and feel of it, and Fenders in general. At least for metal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm 

The one I was thinking of was the singer/guitarist from Unsane. and I know a ton of noise rock bands like Big Black and Scratch Acid like them.

finally wrote and recorded the last Mykridia song for this uncoming split. also did the rest of the vocals, got all the premixing pretty much done now into phase 2 of mixing and balancing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 pm 

Mixed everything down for Myrkridia and did my 2nd session of adjusting and tweaking. I'm bout to post a song to youtube once I render them all down.

Also while waiting for the doom band to show up for practice I wrote a 54R song and also recorded 7 vocal tracks. 3 for a Mountain of Beard ep and 4 for the Draug split with Unlife.

edit: added video link

http://youtu.be/rQM12wc2p9Q

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:18 am 

So I finally got my ipod touch in the mail, and immediately hooked up my iRig to it and got amplitube free and garage band....

How the fuck have people recorded entire songs with this shit? It sucks beyond recording ideas. That's my rant for the day.

I keep a notebook with me at work and I have my own style/version of tabulature/music I've kinda created and I always try to write music to alleviate my boredom. I haven't been able to write anything the past few days. No biggie. I have a couple good songs either done or mostly done right now, and I'm going to try to write lyrics and record vocals for them this weekend for the songwriting challenge. Hopefully all goes well. Just waiting on my guitar parts to arrive in the mail so I can put together my next guitar. I can't wait. I think I want to write a doom song. I have a good basis for one, just need to finish it. I also have about a dozen stoner metal songs I need to finish.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:04 am 

Just booked a show at the end of August for my main band. I wish it weren't so far off but it's better than nothing. We worked on a new song today and it's sounding good, but I fear my partner is going to end up writing stuff like Brain Drill and I'm not really cool with that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 am 

always sucks when you are off the page with someone in your project. That's kinda like how I felt when we got this doom band together, I wanted it to be a different style completely but they can just roll out sludgy more blues based stuff like nobody's business.. so I just shut up and let them do whatever since I'm just playing drums.

Found a couple of more pieces of equipment I plan on scoring. One of them it exactly what I want and it's for a good price.... downside is it's local pickup only... good thing is I know someone in the state that can do it... downside again is it's 5 hours away from him so I don't know if he would be able to... I'll ask/find out today. cause damn it's a good deal. Another is a guitar head that needs some repair but I'm getting so cheaply it really is worth the gamble esp since they are hard as fuck to come by.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

All the instrumental and vocal parts for the new Sorrowseed album are recorded and the creative side of the record is finished. Now it's onto mixing. I'm doing the external layout with our cover art guy Doyle next week, so hopefully we'll be able to unveil the front cover and track listing sooner rather than later.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:18 pm 

Uploaded some more tracks:

Myrkridia:
http://youtu.be/qdqFMes9p18

Dragunov
http://youtu.be/2cT1T8AiF6U

Bunker Buster
http://youtu.be/CadgzoLe4rk

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:51 pm 

Played/promoted my first gig on Thursday. We got a pretty decent crowd for playing at 7.30 on a Thursday. The other bands were all really chilled, awesome guys who kicked arse. Split the door among the bands, which meant each got $40 which is better than a kick in the teeth, that's for sure! I wasn't 100% happy with my performance but what can ya do? Got a couple of gig offers which was rad.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 pm 

That actually got me interested in something: how old were you all when you played your first show, when did you play it, and where did you play it at?

I did my first show at a place in Northampton, MA called the Elevens in July 2011 when I was 17. It was with a rock group that Sorrowseed's guitarist Josh used to do called Pandora's Toybox, and it was right after I had tracked the drums for the album I played on by them. As it was my first show ever, I was stupid when it came to things like time, so I didn't know that setting my gear up before we went on was a good idea. I ended up having to do it haphazardly and quicker than I would have liked, leading to my main crash stand falling on me during the 2nd song. A couple guys in the crowd came up and set it straight with a cinder block that one of the other bands on the show used to keep their kick drum from sliding forward. The crowd was actually pretty good, dancing along to the music and everything.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:15 pm 

First show was within the first year I got a drumkit and got enough people together to do a death metal band, I could really only play blast beats and the guitarist barely could play, it was more punk-ified death metal with some chugs thrown in. We weren't that great but I think we were together for 2 weeks and the guitarist managed to book a show for us at a local dive bar that amazingly let us all in since we were all underage, I was 20, the singer was 18, the guitarist was 16 and the bassist was 14.

We were the only band on the bill, but we still had a crowd of people I think mainly of the guitarist and bassist's friends and a few local death metal guys that always hung there.

We only had 3 songs so we played our set and then played it again not that anyone noticed, and then since that was probably 20mins. we switched around instruments and improved some death metal bullshit that probably sounded better than our actual songs since I played guitar and the guitarist sang.

I think we stayed together another month and then something happened where the bassist got grounded and the guitarist was more interested in being strung out and singing in a punk band.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:04 pm 

I have never performed with a contemporary band, but I started performing with a classical guitar ensemble when I was 14. I got good at calming my nerves, although I hope that stays with me as I begin playing in a band XD.

I just wrote a song today. Man, production is really turning out to be my Achilles heel. Thus the need for an actual band.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:29 pm 

I dig it. odd how it went from death metal to almost something like DSBM. hit me up if you need some help.

wrote and recorded an Uzumaki song.

practiced with a long standing band that has been on hold for years, for a show we are going to play next weekend and then over July and August we'll be recording our full length finally, just slightly changed around since we no longer have the original drummer I'm taking that place and we are bringing in another friend on bass.

Wife recorded 2 more VomitWolves songs today and I mixed them down, she's probably going to do the last one after dinner

I did 2 of my Yzrodderrex vocal tracks for a new full length.

hesychasmsa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:48 pm 

Just had a practice session with my band (warning, my band isn't quite metal - didn't want any of you to get a shock) for our first gig this year.

Then recorded some guitar parts for someone else on this forum for two songs I tabbed out for him earlier this week.

I also tabbed out Nymphetamine for a friend (yes I know!). I shouldn't have had to given that there are 12 versions on ultimate-guitar plus power and pro tabs. However, it seems that none of them could work out what tuning it's in. Despite the fact that CoF use the same tuning for every single song!

Now I'm back to learning Isis songs so I can carry on my series of youtube covers of their songs.

I have writer's block for my own songs but no end of energy for other people's at the moment!
Youtube For originals

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 pm 

Practice was moved to next Saturday...and watch some shit's going to pop up that renders that day inconvenient as well, it's always something with this fucking band

EDIT: Here's something interesting, I included brutal dm slams in one of my songs. It sounded fine to me and hopefully it doesn't sound retarded when played with the rest of the band. Black/death metal with some brutal death metal elements.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 pm 

IT WILL! I COMMAND IT!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 am 

Let's hope your evil wizardry fails you miserably before next weekend

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 am 

IT SHALL NOT!
Currently mixing Draug's material for the Unlife split.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 185  Next