Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:01 pm 

In case anyone missed the announcement, Watain is slated to release a new album in August called The Wild Hunt.

The first single, All That May Bleed, will be released on June 21st.

I have been waiting for the follow up to Lawless Darkness for quite a while. Hopefully the touring will be vigorous and I will be able to catch them again, haven't seen them since their tour in '08 to support Sword to the Dark.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:38 pm 

I'll check this out. I haven't been listening to Watain in a while now, but I still like most of their stuff. Not sure really what to expect at this point, but the cover for the single is interesting enough. Mayan pyramids?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:05 pm 

interesting. I like Watain a lot, so I'll definitely be checking this one out.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:00 am 

Deviante wrote:
Mayan pyramids?

It seems nonsensical at first, since their imagery usually has a Abrahamic, specifically Judaic, theme but it is in line with their sacrificial lyrical content and may even be harkening back to the roots of South America where the worship of Santa Muerte is more prevalent.

It will be interesting to see if this one has a lot of parallels with the upcoming release of the next Liber Falxifer, like Lawless Darkness had.

Musically, I wonder if it will continue down the path their previous album took, as that album really feels like Reinkaos part two to me.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:17 am 

The Wild Hunt, eh? Perhaps the members of Watain are fans of The Witcher? I'll give this a listen when it's out, their last record was decent.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
The Wild Hunt, eh? Perhaps the members of Watain are fans of The Witcher? I'll give this a listen when it's out, their last record was decent.

Not really anything to do with the witcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_hunt

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am 

Watain just keeps getting better and better with each release, in my opinion. Lawless Darkness is one hell of an album. Hopefully this one will keep that trend going.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 am 

Lawless Darkness was a good album but I forgot it very soon so I hope they release something in the vein of the second album which was a masterpiece of melodic black metal, very dark but with an astonishing work in the guitars.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:16 am 

only 1 page of comments?! Rewind a couple of years and this would be 10+ by now haha the hype is dying!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:43 am 

controlledbleeding wrote:
only 1 page of comments?! Rewind a couple of years and this would be 10+ by now haha the hype is dying!

Perhaps when a song is available we will reach a second page, its something... :D

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:26 am 

Well, any Watain is good Watain. Rabid Death's Curse and Lawless were fantastic albums, so my hopes are pretty high for this one.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 am 

Awesome news! Looking forward to it. The only worries is have is whether or nor they will start to repeat themselves to the point of boredom or find a way of keeping their sound fresh.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 am 

I loved Lawless Darkness and as someone else here said it feels like Reinkaos pt. 2 only blacker.

Really looking forward to hearing The Wild Hunt. Hopefully it will continue Watains dominating streak.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 am 

Lawless Darkness got a lot of plays from me when it came out. I really exhausted that album. I hope this new one will be just as good or better. I have liked all their full lengths, though my least favorite is probably Casus Luciferi, but that's due to the production moreso than the songs themselves because the title track kicks a lot of ass.

If you've never seen them live, do yourself a favor and see them because they put on a helluva show.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

I don't really see the similarity between Reinkaos and Lawless Darkness, personally.

Reinkaos wasn't fast (apart from a couple of slightly more uptempo tracks), there was no tremolo in it at all, rather average riffs for the most part, song structures that were very simplistic and the drumming was absolute shite. Saying that, I did enjoy several of the songs. It just shouldn't have had the Dissection name on the album.

Lawless Darkness had speed, tremolo, great riffs, great song structures, and superb drumming.

From what I've heard in recent interviews, there ARE changes coming in the new Watain material. I think Eric has mentioned the word 'melancholy' quite a bit and referencing 'Waters of Ain' as the direction the band are heading in. He's also said that there are songs on the new album that are "almost acoustic". Should be interesting. Definitely looking forward to it. And live the band are fucking amazing!

6Xul66
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

can't wait for the new album. I love Lawless Darkness but haven't heard their first two in some years. I'm sure it'll be a solid slab of Black Metal. I'm intrigued to see where they take their sound next.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:22 pm 

Tornado wrote:
I don't really see the similarity between Reinkaos and Lawless Darkness, personally.

Reinkaos wasn't fast (apart from a couple of slightly more uptempo tracks), there was no tremolo in it at all, rather average riffs for the most part, song structures that were very simplistic and the drumming was absolute shite. Saying that, I did enjoy several of the songs. It just shouldn't have had the Dissection name on the album.

Lawless Darkness had speed, tremolo, great riffs, great song structures, and superb drumming.

From what I've heard in recent interviews, there ARE changes coming in the new Watain material. I think Eric has mentioned the word 'melancholy' quite a bit and referencing 'Waters of Ain' as the direction the band are heading in. He's also said that there are songs on the new album that are "almost acoustic". Should be interesting. Definitely looking forward to it. And live the band are fucking amazing!

Sounds very interesting indeed. With the bands supreme skills for creating atmospheres a focus in that direction could make for a stunning album.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 pm 

Tornado wrote:
From what I've heard in recent interviews, there ARE changes coming in the new Watain material. I think Eric has mentioned the word 'melancholy' quite a bit and referencing 'Waters of Ain' as the direction the band are heading in. He's also said that there are songs on the new album that are "almost acoustic".

Wow. Waters of Ain is my favorite song from the album and the thought of "melancholy and acoustic" elements to their established style sounds very, very promising imo. Definitely looking forward to this.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 am 

Tornado wrote:

Ideologically LD picks up right where RK left off. One being a sonic adaptation of Liber Azerate and the other Liber Falxifer. The difference in tone, atmosphere and composition is a reflection of the source material. A perfect example of this is the title track for each album.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:49 am 

DaBuddha wrote:

If you've never seen them live, do yourself a favor and see them because they put on a helluva show.

This can't be stressed enough. Watain, along with Mayhem, have to be the best live performers in the scene recently.

As far as the change in sound to something more melodic, it makes sense with recent interviews with Erik focusing more on rock 'n' roll instead of black metal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 am 

Am I the only who loves Sworn to the Dark???? awesome riffing and melodies, perfect production and very dynamic compositions.

I like the description of the new songs but I hope they have no influence from rock.

By the way, Reinkaos sucked except two or three songs.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Am I the only who loves Sworn to the Dark???? awesome riffing and melodies, perfect production and very dynamic compositions.

I like the description of the new songs but I hope they have no influence from rock.

I love Sworn to the Dark.

I am also very fond of Reinkaos.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

Why is that? I think it'd be pretty sick personally

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Sworn to the Dark? Fuckin' phenomenal, Stellarvore alone makes the album. They are pretty dependable when it comes to releasing quality material. Well... with the exception of the first demo.

As for rock influences, Erik has specifically said Watain taps into what Rock 'n' Roll used to be, not what it became, which is what most metalheads have an aversion to. But to me bad black 'n' roll and death 'n' roll outputs are few and far between. I've even enjoyed Satyricon's attempts at the sound.

Ahnenerbe_Werewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
It seems nonsensical at first, since their imagery usually has a Abrahamic, specifically Judaic, theme but it is in line with their sacrificial lyrical content and may even be harkening back to the roots of South America where the worship of Santa Muerte is more prevalent.

It will be interesting to see if this one has a lot of parallels with the upcoming release of the next Liber Falxifer, like Lawless Darkness had.

Musically, I wonder if it will continue down the path their previous album took, as that album really feels like Reinkaos part two to me.

The Wild Hunt references a rite described in Liber Falxifer. My small experience with this current has been intense.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 am 

Awesome, looking forward to this one... for me musically at least this band can do no wrong...

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:38 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
Tornado wrote:

Ideologically LD picks up right where RK left off. One being a sonic adaptation of Liber Azerate and the other Liber Falxifer. The difference in tone, atmosphere and composition is a reflection of the source material. A perfect example of this is the title track for each album.

mate, seriously, you are an idiot.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:43 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

I have nothing against rock music, I was trying to say that I dont usually like when a band combines black and rock music so I hope not to see such a mixture in the new album.

MetalThrashingMatt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

They just released a trailer for their new song "All That May Bleed". It has a few seconds of the song in it and I really like what I hear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-1TDrU ... e=youtu.be

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:39 pm 

damn, Erik's voice sounds evil as hell and more disgusting than before.

BastardHead wrote:

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 pm 

Looking forward to it. Enjoyed the last few, though they have been a bit too long in my opinion.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:53 pm 

Don't hear much of the melancholy he was talking about...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 am 

MetalThrashingMatt wrote:
They just released a trailer for their new song "All That May Bleed". It has a few seconds of the song in it and I really like what I hear

I dont like the vocals, and well, I was expecting something different...

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:53 am 

That little snippet sounded like it was taken from Lawless Dorkness. Granted, too short to say anything else really.

693 wrote:
Don't hear much of the melancholy he was talking about...

You clearly don't understand the immortal art of black metal ritual. It's the unheard melancholy of the restless souls from the abyss of chaos and medieval dark forests; the eternal shadows of satanic wolves yet to be house broken. :-P

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 am 

matras wrote:
You clearly don't understand the immortal art of black metal ritual. It's the unheard melancholy of the restless souls from the abyss of chaos and medieval dark forests; the eternal shadows of satanic wolves yet to be house broken. :-P

Was that supposed to be funny? You should head over to Watain's Cave and tell them some jokes.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 am 

To quote the mall manager in South Park: "Yes... no... what?"
And no. I've lived 40 metres from their rehearsal place, and stepping over various band members sleeping off their drunk (or drugged) stupor outside is enough.
Not trying to be funny, just taking the piss out of the pretentiousness of bm.
And if a band is quoted saying that their new album has a more "melancholic vibe", perhaps you shouldn't expect to hear it in some random 40 second sound snipppet.
Just saying.

DonHoorn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:40 am 

MetalThrashingMatt wrote:

Although it's only like 30 seconds of a single song. I'm already calling it, it's gonna be just as bad as the previous 2 albums.
Mtalcore Scene: "Yeah!"
*Metalcore scene rapes death metal*

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am 

Man, that artwork it's awesome. I loved the style and the colour of the blood(?). Im intrigued too about the possible mayan
reference. Really looking forward to it

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm 

The album now has both a cover art...

Spoiler: show

And a track list.

1. Night Vision
2. De Profundis
3. Black Flames March
4. All That May Bleed
5. The Child Must Die