Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 am 

There are some very nice lists posted in here.
I'm too lazy so I used 50 albums instead, there is no particular order on any of the rows. The top 4 albums are the ones I enjoy above everything else.
Spoiler: show

I just had to add the soundtrack to Ocarina of Time. I couldn't find M8l8th in there, I would add both albums, the first on the second tier section, it's one of the fiercest records I have ever heard.
Not really an album, but I felt Bach's Notebook for Anna Magdalena deserves a place in there. I couldn't find the soudtrack to Oldboy either.

So I guess I should write about the top 4:
Manowar - Battle Hymns
This is the debut album of my favourite band, the way Heavy Metal should sound if you ask me. I love how the album is led by the bass mostly, has fun songs (I don't think anyone wouldn't sing along the big-chorus on Metal Daze), Eric Adams at his best, the album is closed by Battle Hymn and a couple of tracks earlier you can hear fuckin' Orson Welles talking about a guy sent back from hell. Can't get any more metal than that.

Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic
This album is so pompous and over the top it deserves a place in my top four. The orchestration this band uses rightfully places them on top of all the other symphonic/whatever extreme metal bands. The riffs blend perfectly with the keyboards, the lyrics are insane and the drumming is the best I've ever heard, it sounds so full of emotion I can't describe it. Oh, and the album is fast as fuck.

Dissection - The Somberlain
The Somberlain is one of the earliest real exposures I had to Black Metal. I've always been amazed by the solid production and the fat guitar tone. John and Jon are probably my favourite guitar-duo on any band/album, the way they share the leads and the construction of the riffs as well give a lot of depth to the music, I find it admirable the guys recorded this album when they were seventeen or so. The album even has classical guitar interludes, what else could you ask for? The Somberlain is evil.

Blind Melon - Blind Melon
I discovered this band barely a couple of years ago. Although I listened to their second album first, as soon as I heard their debut I was hooked and been so ever since. The music and lyrics get to me deeply. It also made my interest in the 90's Rock scene grow and I've found some nice things so far. I don't think I will ever like a Rock album more than I like this one.

This is purely subjective.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am 

EnemyofLight wrote:

Made this a few days ago. Not much into metal at the moment, mostly just black and doom metal(there's not even 15 metal albums on this chart). Please ignore my terrible tastes, I really like emo and I'm trying to get more into prog rock/krautrock stuff. The top 10 was really easy for me, those haven't changed in quite a while.

The Lack Long After is an amazing album. I like screamo too, but I'm more into 'emoviolence' and Envy inspired stuff

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 pm 

The_Great_God_Pan wrote:
Manowar - Battle Hymns
This is the debut album of my favourite band, the way Heavy Metal should sound if you ask me. I love how the album is led by the bass mostly, has fun songs (I don't think anyone wouldn't sing along the big-chorus on Metal Daze), Eric Adams at his best, the album is closed by Battle Hymn and a couple of tracks earlier you can hear fuckin' Orson Welles talking about a guy sent back from hell. Can't get any more metal than that.

Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic
This album is so pompous and over the top it deserves a place in my top four. The orchestration this band uses rightfully places them on top of all the other symphonic/whatever extreme metal bands. The riffs blend perfectly with the keyboards, the lyrics are insane and the drumming is the best I've ever heard, it sounds so full of emotion I can't describe it. Oh, and the album is fast as fuck.

Cheers :beer: Well said! Suits fine with my personal one where there's quite some Bal Sagoth and Manowar to be found (yet other albums in the top 10 ranking
and your choice in my 2nd tier) Always great to see people liking Bal Sagoth!

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:09 pm 

Marag wrote:
The Lack Long After is an amazing album. I like screamo too, but I'm more into 'emoviolence' and Envy inspired stuff

Glad I'm not the only one here who enjoy the style. Emoviolence is good stuff as well.

Some good charts in this thread, even though most of them are exactly what I was expecting to see.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:23 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
My rules for this:

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon: My favorite black metal album of all time. I don't think it's as good as Panzerfaust or Transilvanian Hunger but I love it more than those two combined. Even if this collage had non-BM, it'd be in my top 10. Disturbing, harsh yet memorable riffs. Unmatchable atmosphere and power. Without the somewhat iffy riff that starts "Inn i de dype skogers favn" it would be hands down one of the most perfect black metal albums, at least to my ears. Alien and epic, it's truly a forceful piece of music that both paid tribute to the past (something 'round these parts sounds like Bathory) and paved way for the future.

I have to agree with this, my favorite black metal album of all time. Evil and dark in a way that I had never heard before.

Here's mine. It's a bit mixed up but there you have it:

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:06 am 

Here's my chart:

Some words about some of my top 10:

Seidr - For Winter Fire
This is probably my favorite doom album ever. I love Seidr's style of spacey, melodic death/doom, and while other bands like Asunder & Anhedonist have done this style really well too, none of them match the power of Seidr for me. Their upcoming album is probably my most anticipated release at this moment.

Amebix - Arise!
Gotta love Amebix's brand of epic crust. I had a tough time choosing between Arise! and Monlith for the top 10, but I ended up going with Arise! just because I'm more familiar with it. Monolith is a great album as well, but I just haven't listened to it as much.

:novemthree: - Renewing
My current AOTY for 2013. Beatuiful, mesmerizing neofolk. Outstanding. I preordered the cd and have been listening to the mp3 download that came with my pre-order a ton.

Leech - Against Leviathan! and Thou/Leech - We Pass Like Night, From Land to Land
Leech is one of my favorite bands, and these two releases are the pinnacle of their work so far, though apparently their full-length is being recorded, albeit at a very slow pace. Top-notch atmospheric black metal.

Alda - :tahoma:
This album is a masterpiece, possibly the best record to come out of the Cascadian black metal scene. Near perfect, if not perfect black metal/folk.

Also, sorry if this has already been asked, but how do you get the list of albums next to the image? EDIT: Found it.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 pm 

Weird Moonsorrow choice, that's by far their worst album :( But cool taste overall. Cool to see some Corrupted and Om.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm 

Don't be a fool, Metantoine. It beats their first three by miles. In fact, it might even beat V:Hävitetty. Not only is the album so tightly structured, Huuto is one of my favourite songs ever.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 pm 

it doesn't beat Verisakeet and doesn't deserve to be in a top 50!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 pm 

Yes, it doesn't beat Verisäkeet; few albums do. In fact, I can only think of one that could challenge the grandeur of that Finnish monolith. But no one should be ashamed of themselves for putting VKKM in their TOP50. No one.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Finally got around to making my own - I'd made one about a year ago, but it needed some updating. This is an all-genres list - people who make a metal one and a non-metal one to make selection easier are cheaters!

In conclusion: I like brutal death metal, girly pop and a bunch of other shitty shit in between.

The best part of this is Lana Del Rey album next to Epicardiectomy album haha.

Where is The Somatic Defilement though, i thought u liked The Somatic Defilement.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Weird Moonsorrow choice, that's by far their worst album :( But cool taste overall. Cool to see some Corrupted and Om.

I really like that album, but I haven't dug into the rest of their catalog yet. It's on my list of things to listen to. They killed it live though.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

Gastjale wrote:
Don't be a fool, Metantoine. It beats their first three by miles. In fact, it might even beat V:Hävitetty. Not only is the album so tightly structured, Huuto is one of my favourite songs ever.

Huuto is the only thing that saves it from being complete garbage for me, the slower, heavier riffs that make up 90% of the riffs feel like the intros to the usual bombastic majesty the band produces, but they keep going for three times as long and the payoff never comes.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:17 pm 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
Where is The Somatic Defilement though, i thought u liked The Somatic Defilement.

In short, I forgot it. But it wouldn't get nearly as high on this chart as my 97% review for it would indicate, as I've grown out of it to a certain extent.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

My list is gay

I suck at making these kinda lists, i barley fit 100 in there and it took me two hours. In the end i was desperate so i put more Emmure than usual into the list. I dont really care about the last row, and the second and third part of list aren't really arranged. So here we go (Wall of text and shitty tongue-in-cheek jokes ahead):

10. Waking The Cadaver - The Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler.

Fuck you, this is THE slam album. The guys in WTC dont know what kinda masterpice they created. Its fun, its catchy, its melodic and brutal. I love the snare tone. This shit is something beautiful.

9. Chelsea Grin - S/T EP

I forgot to put in Count Your Blessings, i knew that i missed something, but i instead put this pretty cool deathcore album. Its totally scene but i love it, favorite part is the sweeping part in outro of Crewcabanger, and poorly done version of Recreant. All songs blow Desolation of Eden out of water (Which is included at the end of my list), and Cheyne-Stokes is faster and not as mechanistic. The only thing better on DoE is Recreant and the fact it has Sonnet of the Wretched. Anyway, enough of talking about this scene shit.

8. Suicide Silence - The Cleansing

I love this because of the guitar tone. The tone here is heavier than Mortician and Slipknot. Well maybe not the first one but Mortician is pretty worthless, and Slipknot is too jumpdafukup. I find myself listening to this often, and if not the whole album, its Unanwsered/Pity for a Coward/Destruction of a Statue. The whole album experience is better, though. So here we leave the -core land into something more threatening like...

7. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Infecting the Crypts intro goes dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun and its fun. Fun to play on guitar, too. Riffwork is top notch and it inspired all above three albums so... I guess it deserves to be better than them. Its not at heavy as The Cleansing but more catchy, i guess.

6. Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement

This kinda reminds me of Waking The Cadaver. Its pretty melodic and brutal at the same time, but the tone is FAR more threatening and heavy. Features such lyrical gems as "...when i sew your cunt" and "and now you rot!", and this is a pretty good reason to include it in top 10. No really. The lyrics are almost as good as Lord Worm. (i said almost :lol:, i think i myself fell off the chair reading this) Breakdowns are plenty here, and so are slams, so no disappointment. Phil Bozeman is pretty good vocalist by normal standards, and THE best by deathcore standards (Only to be topped by Mitch Lucker, but you know, he died.).

5. Insect Warfare - World Extermination

This album has almost as much blastbeats as Putrefaction in Progress, but hint hint. It doesn't suck and is pretty much awesome. Has plenty of slow riffs, like Wormrot (Why isnt Wormrot in top 10? Ah i remember, i had to make space for WTC) which help release the tension before more blastbeats. Has nice lyrics too. Check them out.

4. Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

One of first actually extreme metal albums i heard, i remember i almost shat my pants hearing the first riff (nowadays putrefaction is progress is not brutal enough, i think i need to go to bed). I love the shit out of this record, used to be my number two before i discovered Cryptopsy. This album is inferior to Necroticism because... i dont know. I even like the cover more. Fuck me i should put it at 3. Count Necroticism and Symphonies as equal, because they are equally great and timeless. Digging dual vocals "bad cop vs good cop". This together with Reek of Putrefaction inspired masses of shitty clones which never were as good as Carcass (Well maybe County Medical Examiners, Exhumed is worthless aside from a song or two). Although the clones are plenty, the number never managed to top the number of shitty djent Periphery clones (Djent bashing sentence? Tick).

3. Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious

My friend is constantly trolling me humming a riff similiar to "Corporeal Jigsore Quandary" and saying "i trolled you!1!11!". No one cares but i feel bored and i wanted to rant about that. Featuring the best riff ever, Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious was my top album for a long time, but got dethroned by None So Vile and put into number two (Before i discovered Blasphemy Made Flesh). Riff to Lavaging Expectorate of Lysergide Composition sounds oddly similiar to Gangnam Style, but everyone tells me im full of shit. Psy ripped of Carcass, duh. They could make MILLIONS if they recorded the riff with a synth. Aside from riffwork, the kick drum tone is a highlight of the album.

2. Cryptopsy - None So Vile

I could probably write a review about this, thats how brilliant it is. (Im too lazy to do anything, yet im bored, duh, i'd give it a 99%) Lord Worm is the best lyricist, vocalist, live performer and wormeater ever. His vocal style of "Assault on all senses" is truly marvelous and impossible to duplicate, even he couldn't fully do it on Once Was Not. Flo Mounier is the best drummer ever, fuck your George Kolliases and guys from Hate Eternal, this guy manages to be incredibly technical in his patterns, yet doesn't suck and keep them very interesting (Biggest part of what makes Phobophile great is the drumming). Performance of Jon Levasseur and the other rather unknown guitarist is dope, and while Steve Thibault probably wrote some riffs here, Jon is just as good songwriter as Steve is. Lack of Steve here can be felt though, the riffs are not in same style as Blasphemy Made Flesh, the style of riffwork is different. Eric Langlois deserves a mention, too, just listen to Benedictine Convulsions and that proto-deathcore slap bass breakdown over there. Though soon, the songwriting of Cryptopsy would fade.

1. Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh

One does not simply walk into Mordor. This album features a different bassist and different second guitarist than NSV, and this combination is way more lethal than NSV one. My conspiracy theory is that the source of awesomness of Cryptopsy riffs is not Jon Levasseur, but Steve Thibault. Why would be the other reason to fade into mediocrity after None So Vile? After all, And Then You'll Beg sucks ass more than The Unspoken King. And i hate digideridoos (did i spell it right? no? okay.). End of pointless rambling, this shit is awesome and the best metal album ever. Maybe even the best music album ever, as it effectively connects human suffering and music into one. This just emanates with pure filth and sickness. So does Enmity, but Enmity feels forced in its brutality, while Cryptopsy feels like actually written by a mad, really mad man who is actually very lonely at heart. The melodies say it all. Music goes like blastblastriffriffangryangry, then into melodies, showing a glimmer of hope in this otherwise fucked up world. Solo aren't some atonal whammy bar abuse Slayer shit, they have actual melody (!). You heard Necrophagist Fermented Offal Discharge? These solos are shorter but as awesome. And Lord Worm does a 28 second scream in Open Face Surgery. And writes the best lyrics. Whatever, this is a masterpiece 10/10 would bang.

I feel like i should go to bed, i didn't see sun for a long time.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:00 pm 

All albums are in the proper tiers. However, within the tiers, there is no rhyme or reason for the order. A decent balance of metal to non-metal here. You'll notice there aren't very many super obscure bands here. Someday I'll get to that point where I listen to lots of that stuff, but my rate of discovery has slowed down drastically in the past few years. I've got no problem listening to really popular/sugar-coated bands. If you make something I like, I'll buy it. I enjoy my collection. Picked up a majority of these in or immediately after high school.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 pm 

That was pretty fun. It's really frightening sometimes how fast taste changes for you, I wouldn't have imagined it looking like this a year ago. A bit about my favorites:

Evoken - Top 10: A Caress of the Void - I wouldn't say it peaks the highest, but to me it's the best-flowing and most balanced out of all their output. One of those albums where everything perfectly aligns and every song covers a different aspect of the band's output.
- Second-tier classics: Antithesis of Light - One of the most malicious-sounding albums I've ever heard. An amazing collection of songs with probably the highest peaks in the band's discography ("In Solitary Ruin", "Antithesis of Light"). Slightly too long in some places and generally a bit overbearing with its malice, but holds a very special place in my heart. Also the first I was exposed to by the band
Embrace the Emptiness - A lot of this album's appeal is in the absence of grandeur that Evoken's later albums possess in their sound. Comparable to "Quietus" in the way it's more sad than hateful, but a tad more unique in my book.

Fever Ray - Top 10: Fever Ray - This thing just fell on me out of nowhere. It's good that the hype reached so far even I heard of it, without having any previous knowledge of that scene. Still feeling too ignorant to describe most of this stuff, very... amorphous-sounding. Excited about every song on this. Known as the only album I can think of where both the first and last track are the weakest (relatively speaking). The Nick Cave cover is also sublime

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Top 10: Henry's Dream - It's hard to explain the way you attach to singer/songwriters sometimes. The guy has an insane knack for story-telling, both the lyrics and the images they evoke are probably my favorite ever. Closest album I know to perfection, only "Christina the Astonishing" and "When I First Came to Town" are less than completely stellar. In general, not as mellow as "The Good Son", but considerably less harsh than "Let Love In"
Let Love In - Absolutely insane. Bigger mood swings, higher peaks. Should've been my favorite album, but there are a few tracks that really drag it down for me. "Red Right Hand" is decent but not very engaging, "Ain't Gonna Rain Anymore" leaves me completely cold. Could've done a bit more with the ending song, too

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:15 pm 

To the guys that placed Eternity, Viva Emptiness and especially Tonight's Decision in their top 10: I love you.

(Don't try to find any deeper meanings here, there aren't any. :D)

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 pm 

While doing this I was both pretty happy with choices and that I had enough to actually do a top 100 I realize there's so much more I need to listen to especially when it comes to the classics.
Was happy to see some mentions of Forgotten Woods in these lists! :)

Looking at my list it's pretty much what I expected though at this point. Love my death and doom/death. Also If I had to I could probably have moved either one of those Torture Squad up into my top I like them that much.

Katatonia dominated half of the first row on my second tier list...

As for my other favorites well I realize I still like a bit of pop rock and metalcore/hardcore :D
And one final note in cases of multiple entries the albums are listed in order from favorite to least.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 am 

Is it safe to call Jane Doe MA's favorite non-metal album at this point? I swear it's been in over half of the lists so far.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 am 

The site was a fucking douche and froze before I could finish my list. The 31 remaining albums were;

HELSTAR - Nosferatu
MASSACRE - From Beyond
AUTOPSY - Acts of the Unspeakable
METALLICA - Master of Puppets
AMORPHIS - Tales from the Thousand Lakes
OVERKILL - The Years of Decay
SADUS - Illusions (Chemical Exposure)
DEMOLITION HAMMER - Tortured Existence
CATHEDRAL - The Carnival Bizarre
ABSU - Tara
VICIOUS RUMORS - Digital Dictator
AGENT STEEL - Omega Conspiracy
NUCLEAR ASSAULT - Game Over
MEGADETH - Rust In Peace
MONSTROSITY - Imperial Doom
MASTER - On the Seventh Day God Created... Master
DEICIDE - Legion
DEMILICH - Nespithe
OBITUARY - Slowly We Rot
ASPHYX - Last One On Earth
JUDAS PRIEST - Screaming For Vengeance
SATYRICON - Nemesis Divina
MOTORHEAD - Orgasmatron
MY DYING BRIDE - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
DREAM THEATER - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
THE WHO - Quadrophenia
NACHTMYSTIUM - Instinct: Decay
TOOL - Lateralus
COUNTESS - The Revenge of the Horned One Part I
HELLOWEEN - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I
BLIND GUARDIAN - Imaginations From The Other Side

TOP 10

ORDER FROM CHAOS - STILLBIRTH MACHINE
My favorite DM album of all time! Just pure old school chaos, the old fashioned way. The riffing is fucking brilliant, the vocals are a primordial black/death mix and the drumming is just ruthless. I hold this as the standard.

TESTAMENT - PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH
Dammit, Testament knew how to write a song! Years on, this album's savvy powers of song craft remain undiminished to me. I love every single moment on here.

SAINT VITUS - BORN TOO LATE
The best of Vitus! At least as far as I'm concerned. Every song here rules. Sheer agony bleeds forth and the guitar tone is wonderfully woeful.

NEUROSIS - THROUGH SILVER IN BLOOD
I am of course a huge Neurosis fan and this album and Enemy Of The Sun were my entrance into their world. This particular album is a well rounded and complete journey through the helplessness we all soon come to feel as humans faced with an exceedingly giant and potentially destructive universe.

CROWBAR - ODD FELLOWS REST
The best Crowbar record, hands down! I have played this almost a hundred times before and hope to do so another hundred!

EYEHATEGOD - IN THE NAME OF SUFFERING
The sludge album that opened the floodgates...a TREASURE of agonizing doom and monolithic riffology.

PRONG - FORCE FED
I love Prong and this is some cool shit. Very raw sounding thrash with some of the best riffing I have ever heard.

PENTAGRAM - RELENTLESS
Black Sabbath worship begins here but Pentagram were able to carve an identity for themselves with darker material and a more woeful aura. I dig this endlessly!

POSSESSED - SEVEN CHURCHES
The classic upon which multitudes of other classics have been built and still a cornerstone of my enjoyment.

DOWN - NOLA
This is the purest shit Anselmo should ever be credited with. Nothing he has done will ever sound this fresh and raw and complex and eternally compelling.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:56 pm 

Has anyone else looked at all of these collages and thought to themselves "damn, metal has really high standards when it comes to artwork". It really puts into perspective how cool the album covers tend to be.

LuciferianImperium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 pm 

Made mine about a week ago, really enjoyed reading all of these. Took a significant amount of time to figure it out, pretty confident every album made the list, the order is fairly accurate. About as accurate as I can possibly do it. Hopefully someone can psychoanalyze this for me, and tell me something interesting as I don't have much to say.

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 am 

Had fun doing this!
There's a lot of doom albums, because that's just the kind of gal I am! :lol:
But my top 10 are rather predictable...
Pagan Altar's Volume 1is what I think of when I think of perfection. It is flawless in terms of riffs, atmosphere and pacing.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:28 am 

First of all, I decided to make this only metal except for Clutch because I actually want to make it out of this picture thread alive. :-P

The first 10 are albums that either broke me into metal and/or had such a great impact when I first heard them and have stayed in heavy rotation and will probably go to the grave with me. Pantera's Cowboys from Hell was my first metal album and the album that got me into music, so that one has the most sentimental value to me. I do see all of them at least near perfect.
Edit: Just realized I accidently put Welcome to Hell in the place where Cowboys from Hell was originally. Add that to my top 10, errr 11. :-D

I guess it's pretty easy to tell death metal is my least favorite although I really do love the mid 90's and before Swedish/Florida scene, but have little to no interest in death metal after that. Atmosphere is definitely the key. If this list had been made a year ago I think there would be quite a few more Doom/Stoner stuff on here, but for now most of that stuff has been pretty stale for me except the classics.

I tried not to put multiple releases from the same band on here, but fuck its too hard. I mean they're some of your favorite bands for a reason right?

There are about 5-10 which I couldn't decide on which to put in the 2nd or 3rd group, but I could mess with this forever.

here is no precise order to to my list like some others have done, just went by the groups and tried not to spend too much time on it.

Makes me happy to see Talk Talk's best albums on peoples lists :thumbsup:

Last edited by Dooders on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm 

I don't think there should be any surprises whatsoever reading mine, so, enjoy!!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 pm 

Cool thread. It was quite a tough time digging the top 100 out. Enjoyed it nonetheless and my list somewhat looks like this:

Top 10:

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Massive in one word. All the doom/stoner/sludge/grunge...whatever bands probably wouldn't exist without this record.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Sabbath worship by Priest. Doesn't get any better than this.

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Some people may find it overrated but this is without a doubt the quintessential AiC record. From thrashy doom riff of "Them Bones" to sludgy drone of "Junkhead" to gloomy churns of "Would" the record flows brilliantly.

Type O Negative - World Coming Down

Colossal, towering collection of goth rock tinged intense doom metal. The 3 interludes involving members' own misery are priceless.

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics

Best sludge record without a shadow of doubt. But it's also more than mere sludge metal.

Candlemass - Nightfall

THE Epic doom record for me. It was my introduction to Candlemass probably around 2008-09 and since then I love it more than any other recording by them.

Saint Vitus - Born Too Late

Epitome of stoner/doom. I guess majority of doomsters will agree.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Maiden at their peak.

Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon

Another epic doom masterpiece and it's much darker and heavier than Nightfall. The guitar tone of John Perez is absolutely crushing, perfect doom tone in my opinion.

Primordial - To the Nameless Dead

Perhaps the best metal record of 21st century.

There are about 20 non-metal albums in the list I guess. And most of the Alice in Chains albums are there as well (being a fanboy of course :-P).
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:09 pm 

Great list, doomster. World Coming Down, Paegan Terrorism Tactics and Master of Reality are all albums I'd potentially give 100% to. Enjoyed Cinerary's as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4