Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 pm 

Alright, I listened to some of these songs, and to be honest, this is getting really lulzy. Why? Well, it's because all those trancecore/popcore/crabcore/melodic metalcore/etc bands are now becoming basically pop. Autotuned vocals, dance-pop synth, generic drum beats, etc combined with growls and screams plus breakdowns, melodic riffs, or just fake breakdowns. (Breakdowns=interlude of a song; slows down the tone of the song. it can be in ANY genre, not just core. Even metal has it, but they have DIFFERENT breakdowns than core. they have more metal-tinged interludes. Slayer's song raining blood has a breakdown, domination by pantera has one at the end, etc. which all sound different from like Acacia Strain, Hatebreed, Emmure, Texas in July, etc whom are all metalcore/deathcore)

Just listen to these songs, if you'd like to laugh at them, go ahead. In fact, go for it! Even these bands are appearing on a compilation titled punk goes pop, covering pop songs.

oh and don't say I had to show BOTDF and brokencyde as examples. NOBODY calls them metal. I don't know why metalheads say they're pretending to be metal when it's obvious they aren't. they're crunkcore/scene-pop. But these bands might appear for sure. just look at this and tell me, doesn't it sound like pop? It seems some fans say that pop sucks, but they enjoy this. I know pop doesn't have anything to do with metal, but people can bash any music, I just wouldn't accuse Katy Perry or something of trying to be metal. Cause that would sound weird.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

You're like five years late. The more mainstream varieties of metalcore/post-hardcore have been this poppy for quite a white now - just look at Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria and Bullet for My Valentine.

That being said... what exactly do you want to discuss here? Are you just making us aware of its existence? Are you asking why the genre has progressed to this point? :???:

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:47 pm 

Actually BFMV never did. They always were influenced by rock/metal. Asking alexandria first were, but after the first album they left the trancecore genre and moved to much better metalcore styles. But yeah i know that, but it's seeming that they're just getting poppier and poppier, I mean look at that falling in reverse song. Although I don't think they sound anything metal. But it sounds like lil wayne meets dead by april's heavier parts of the song. but i was wondering. Is melodic metalcore/post-hardcore gonna be the new pop music?

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:50 pm 

I find these styles best experienced as a form of comedy.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
I find these styles best experienced as a form of comedy.

LOL definitely

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 pm 

I listened to the first song but stopped when the "vocalist" said "so many motherfuckers wanna be like me."

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 pm 

sounds like typical g@ngztar lyrics

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:08 pm 

They blurred out the license plates on those BMWs and Benzes so you can't see the "Enterprise Rent-A-Car" logo.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 am 

That Falling in Reverse video is so fucking baffling it's amazing. Charlie Sheen references? woah, so advanced bro. But yeah this stuff was all pioneered by Attack Attack some 6 years ago or whatever and it's just gotten sillier since then. Really influential/innovative band tbh.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 am 

You know what's funny about that Make Me Famous song? The clean chorus part is better than the hardcore chugging of the rest of the song.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

I'm just waiting for the day a band releases an album and calls themselves core-core because they're so heavy and br007al all they do is breakdowns and pig noises.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:25 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I'm just waiting for the day a band releases an album and calls themselves core-core because they're so heavy and br007al all they do is breakdowns and pig noises.

Step 1. Look up wining lottery numbers. These will be your tempos.
Step 2. String together breakdowns in said tempos.
Step 3. Use fancy rhyhtmic patterns so that it's "progressive"
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Profit.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:29 pm 

That Falling in Reverse shit is hilarious yeah they make so much money being a c-list band in rotation on some Warped tour sidestage. This shit is horrible, I can only imagine their fanbase being the douchebags who wear Obey shirts have pants that sag down their asscracks and speak ebonics.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm 

Surprised this wasn't used as your references

If you watch the drummer playing while the fills are playing he's clearly not playing them :lol: I know it's a video but is suspect, they're not even hard fills either. Also go to about 1:15 and watch :lol: crabcore ;)

The SHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 pm 

One of my favorite pasttimes is listening to emocore, crunkcore, popcore, pop-punk, grungecore, (insert stupid label here)-core and then going and listening to psych-metal. It has its market and its place.

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:

None of those bands did pig noises. If you want a band that does pig squeals go try Waking the Cadaver, About a Plane Crash, Despised Icon and Chelsea Grin.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:58 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
That being said... what exactly do you want to discuss here? Are you just making us aware of its existence? Are you asking why the genre has progressed to this point? :???:

I don't know, but I'll pull the soapbox out from under him.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.