Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Opus wrote:
This is worse than Lulu.
*record scratch*
Okay man, let's keep our cool. You can't really compare that clusterfuck with this. New Sabbath is merely mediocre, and is in fact far from the absolute trainwreck that Lulu was.

That Loser song is NOT a trainwreck? Hey man, can I borrow those red glasses. :p

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 pm 

Nah, it's just pretty bleh. If you ask me, a trainwreck is something that you can't even put as background noise because it's so bloody annoying.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 pm 

Lulu is a trainwreck, but I don't really think it's a bad album for all that. It's an interesting trainwreck. This new Sabbath stuff is just riding the coattails of their better stuff, hard.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm 

Holy shit, Ozzy is done. Is he off the wagon? It almost sounded like he was pumped full of Valium and I actually felt embarrassed listening to that Loner song. Yeah, that entire thing is worse than anything on The Devil You Know. It's like Iommi said in an interview when they were on bad terms: when they had to write music with Ozzy, they had to write stuff with a melody he could sing exactly along to, and that's pretty much what this is. Imagine Ozzy singing Atom and Evil or The Devil Cried. Ozzy is holding them back now and it's sad as fuck: that's the only conclusion I can come to. That or it's Rubin's meddlng hands: I find it hard to believe Iommi would willingly let something like this happen without influence.

We do have the rest of the album to hear, though. And I didn't thing God is Dead? was awful.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm 

Just bought a ticket for the Vancouver show on August 22nd from the pre-sale. Really. Fucking. Stoked.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 pm 

That song was another lame attempt at getting back to the 70's. This mediocre self plagiarism is actually worse than amon amarth.

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
Lightning is unlikely to strike twice, sadly. TDYK was one of the best 'comeback' albums ever (and it is a Sabb album IMO), but nothing in the horribly acrimonious run-up to this recording indicates that their hearts will be in it. The Ward debacle, the legal issues with Ozzy and the rest of the band - does any of this seem conducive to making a great album? Methinks not.

You hit the nail on the head months ago. This album is looking like a disaster on almost every level, or at best a mediocre footnote in the Sabbath catalogue. I hope it's the latter. After the Morbid Angel and Loutallica atrocities, we don't need another legendary act embarrassing themselves.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm 

The Devil You Know would've been an awesome swan song for Sabbath but no matter how bad 13 gets, I don't think it'll end their discography quite as awkwardly as Forbidden almost did...

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 pm 

I really like the riffs in "Loner", but I do agree that Ozzy sounds awful. I can't tell the future, but I expect that "13" will be one of those albums that people will be skeptical about and un-enthusiastic about in it's day, but after awhile (once the current metal scene is over, whenever that will be) will become a "classic", or something to that effect. It's hard to say, of course, you people might be right and it is destined to be a "forgotten" album. But if you look at the reviews of the first album when it came out, it was blasted as a "Cream rip-off" in basically every review, but now is considered the #1 most influential album in all of metal. Not the same thing, obviously, but it's definitely interesting how popular views change over time.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:21 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The Devil You Know would've been an awesome swan song for Sabbath but no matter how bad 13 gets, I don't think it'll end their discography quite as awkwardly as Forbidden almost did...

This is well said. Even though 13 isn't really sounding like the album we might all want it to, I really don't think it will turn out that terribly. I've already heard a few really cool riffs, and I'd say the album already sounds to be at the very least passable. Basically, I have no problem with them wanting to give Black Sabbath some kind of official closure, assuming that this is their final album.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24dYZK9LHHs

Umm... Okay, what the fuck guys? So Ozzy just knows the lyrics to Dirty Women? Its like night and fucking day. He's not out of tune for almost the entire song, he's putting some effort into his singing, and he moves around the stage. Its like its the only song he genuinely knows.

I have a new theory. Ozzy cant sing the new songs because he just doesnt remember the god damned lyrics, and as such is botching the singing because he's trying to remember the lyrics then and there. Supposedly he has a teleprompter up on stage that he's reading off of for almost all the songs (pretty sad), but after watching that video of Dirty Women I'm just like "Well, shit, clearly he can still perform, there's got to be some other reason why he's sucking. And it's weird that he only moves around on that song."

So yeah, Ozzy would probably actually be doing a perfectly fine job live if he'd... Memorize the words to the songs he's singing.

EDIT: Wow, fuck me, I linked to the album and not the live performance.
Hehe, foreskins.

Last edited by Crick on Fri May 03, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 am 

"Alright now". :|

@Crick: Ozzy has sheets with the lyrics at his feet and you can clearly see he's reading from them constantly. It's been notoriously the case for ages.

Last edited by LegendMaker on Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:33 am 

Opus wrote:
What's to like here?!? I'm genuinely curious! The Loner is a third rate imitation of N.I.B done badly. Have you people not heard the old albums??

I have, and that is why I like it. It sounds like a sequel to the first album in many ways (albeit a fair bit less jammy). Sure, there is a fair bit of nostalgia going on, but that is pretty much what I expected. This album is going to be rad.

Crick wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6IUFzFeBkU

Umm... Okay, what the fuck guys? So Ozzy just knows the lyrics to Dirty Women? Its like night and fucking day. He's not out of tune for almost the entire song, he's putting some effort into his singing, and he moves around the stage. Its like its the only song he genuinely knows.

I have a new theory. Ozzy cant sing the new songs because he just doesnt remember the god damned lyrics, and as such is botching the singing because he's trying to remember the lyrics then and there. Supposedly he has a teleprompter up on stage that he's reading off of for almost all the songs (pretty sad), but after watching that video of Dirty Women I'm just like "Well, shit, clearly he can still perform, there's got to be some other reason why he's sucking. And it's weird that he only moves around on that song."

So yeah, Ozzy would probably actually be doing a perfectly fine job live if he'd... Memorize the words to the songs he's singing.

He kicked arse pretty much the whole show in Sydney I thought - yeah, he didn't move around a lot and there were some times he was out of tune, but shit like Warpigs, Black Sabbath, NIB...fuck, most of the goddamn set, he was in fine form. My girlfriend saw him in England with his solo band and said he sounded great on that tour, too.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Crick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:39 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

@Crick: Ozzy has sheets with the lyrics at his feet and you can clearly see he's reading from them constantly. It's been notoriously the case for ages.

He also seems to yawn a few seconds later. Golden.

Also, if thats the case, does he LITERALLY only know the lyrics to Dirty Women then? The fuck, man. Come on.
Hehe, foreskins.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
That song was another lame attempt at getting back to the 70's. This mediocre self plagiarism is actually worse than amon amarth.

Oh no, the band sounds like itself! Somebody call the wambulance!

On topic, I quite liked the song. It's gonna sound good on record.
Crick wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6IUFzFeBkU

I will totally watch that video ASAP.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Crick

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:09 am 

I was retarded and linked the song off the actual album. Link fixed. It really is so much better than the new material in terms of his vocal performance though, even on a second listen.

Also, its kinda sad that the only reason no one cares about him always butchering Paranoid these days is because the crowd sings louder than he does.
Hehe, foreskins.

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
CatFlatulence wrote:
The new track sounds like a horrible knock off of something off of Ozzmosis, with a shit ton more protools on Ozzy's voice. Nothing about it sounds reminiscent of Black Sabbath.

Care to go more into depth about why you think this?

The pace of the track in general reminds of something similar to Perry Mason, but more boring. It just sounds like stagnant drawn out over produced pop metal riffs with Ozzy's shaky old voice polished up with a sound program. They tried to make it sound darker, but still it sounds like it should be played on TRL. And I recall an interview where they said they wanted to capture the rawest Black Sabbath possible... pfft..I tried pretty hard to come into this with an open mind, but if the album still sounds like rehashed Ozzy, I won't be too interested.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:20 am 

I'm off to see them tomorrow night. Which reminds me, I must work out who's taking my spare ticket. My friends haven't exactly knocked me over in the rush to have it even when I'm giving it away.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Oh no, the band sounds like itself! Somebody call the wambulance!.

One thing is to stick to your guns and other is to pick an older song and basically change a bit the riffs.

Also, Sabbath existed post Ozzy and Iommi went way further exploring and experimenting over the time. TDYK sounded fresh, not just a lame attempt at writing Heaven and Hell pt II or getting the nostalgia factor to win over poor songwriting. I just wanted this to be good, but looks like Rubin's idea of making the band to write the follow up to the debut was a bad one.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:46 am 

I don't know if I would really call much of Sabbath with Dio experimental per se, but certainly stuff like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage were, and those were recorded with Ozzy in the band. I think the reason I'm most underwhelmed by Sabbath today is that it ignores basically everything the band did except in their earliest days of development. Ozzy has said on many, many occasions that he never really liked the direction the band was going in and that even on Sabotage he was very unhappy. But that album has an unhinged, angry vocal performance from the man which just rules, and Tony's guitar playing is at its most expansive and inventive. It's a bit of a quandary. I mean, I love the early Sabbath albums too, but I think they're very much a product of their time (a time in music which I feel a great deal of affinity for, even though it all happened ten years before I was born)...but I make no secret of the fact that I believe Sabbath Bloody Sabbath to be the band's crowning achievement, and this goes for all eras. I do rather wish they'd tried to pick up where they left off with that kind of sound. new material seems very, very stunted to me. It lacks the loose, undisciplined feel of their really young days and yet seems to be trying to go for the same kind of atmosphere. it's creeky and plodding and without spirit, and I must say that as much as Tony and Geezer's hearts may be in the right places, I so far feel this is a wasted opportunity for all of them.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 pm 

I've read Ozzy saying that Technical Ecstasy is the best thing he's ever been involved in. So I'm not entirely sure of his thoughts on their mid-1970s stuff (apparently, neither is he).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I've read Ozzy saying that Technical Ecstasy is the best thing he's ever been involved in. So I'm not entirely sure of his thoughts on their mid-1970s stuff (apparently, neither is he).

...what...that's so strange. Seriously strange.

DO you remember on that Ozman Cometh or whatever it was called set, the interview with Ozzy, where they asked him about Sabbath and he mumbled something like "uh, well I never thought we were very good. But you know, "Paranoid", that was a great riff!"

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:10 pm 

In his book, Ozzy said that Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die! were mistakes and he wasn't really into it at that point. He said the departure from the earlier sound on that album was due to Iommi wanting to evolve their sound and keep up with the times.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 am 

I'd cut Ozzy some slack. The guy's old and can barely even talk, and you want him to sing?

Just give me some good tunes and I'll be happy.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:35 am 

Man, these new songs just sound so rigid. It's unbelievably stiff! If you're going to attempt a Paranoid Anno 2013 style you need it to be loose and jammy, not so stiff. I think the band adopting Rubin's mantra of "Pretend it's 1970, write something like that" has made for some really dull stuff. I guess it's to be expected, though.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 am 

Crick wrote:
Also, its kinda sad that the only reason no one cares about him always butchering Paranoid these days is because the crowd sings louder than he does.

Always butchering Paranoid? Provide evidence, please. This is the only pro-shoot, to my knowledge, of Sabbath since the most recent reunion, and it sounds amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen1SvpTsYk

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

This is not true, and I'm not sure where you read that :S In the documentary, "Ozzy", which came out a few years ago, I recall him saying that Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die are the two worst albums he's ever done.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:42 am 

The live performance of Loner is truly horrific. What the fuck? :scratch:

You can cope with playing metal in your 60s, playing metal when you lack talent and work ethic and play metal when you're struggling with substance abuse but I don't think you can play metal when you're facing all three issues like Ozzy.

Was this new song, Methademic, posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haN7y4x7jos

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 am 

LegendMaker wrote:

He must have them glued to his shoes. He was running all over the stage when I saw him last week.

I'm amused that Melbourne got to see another new song. The band dropped Electric Funeral for that effort. I'll also mention that the youtube videos of the band really don't do them justice. Ozzy was quality when I saw him, and I can only imagine what a show they must have put on back in their hey day.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Was this new song, Methademic, posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haN7y4x7jos

Damn, that's heavy as balls. Looking forward to hearing the record versions of these songs.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:40 pm 

@Razakel, I dunno, that video's fine, but I swear half the other videos I saw of them performing Paranoid (including at the very first reunion gig last year) he missed a lot of notes and often sounded pretty out of tune.

Methademic sounds cool though. I can already imagine how Ozzy's vocals are supposed to sound (lol).
Hehe, foreskins.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

Holy shit Ozzy's voice sucks live.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:14 pm 

Saw them in Perth. Only God Is Dead? from the new album. Ozzy was in the wrong time and the wrong key but he was doing well to be in the right building. He has this indefinable dorky charisma about him.

It was very much a "first four albums" affair. They played the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath riff before Paranoid, and bizarrely enough did Symptom of the Universe as an instrumental. But apart from that and Dirty Women, there was nothing from albums five to eight.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

~Guest 314778
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:21 am 

I don't really understand how can you guys hate God is Dead. True, the riff is recycled from Hole in the Sky, but it could've been far, far worse. Like those shit songs from Reunion, for example.

I for one loved GID. Nice buildup until the Hole in the Sky riff, which just kicks ass, and Ozzy's vocals are way better here than in his solo albums without sounding too processed. You guys must be insane if you expected some Symptom of the Universe-like screaming or something like that. The guy can barely talk, it's a wonder Rubin managed to make him sound this good.

It's the rest of the new songs that piss me off, though. It's like everybody else has already said: they're playing way too safe and ending up re-recording songs from 40 years ago. End of the Beginning is the biggest offender here, even though the solo is awesome as usual from Tony. They must think their fans are as senile as them if they thought nobody would notice they're virtually the same songs.

Oh and btw, I don't see where all that TDYK worship comes from. For an album with both Dio and Tony, it's pretty mediocre to only have like 4 good songs and the rest being a bunch of filler that sounds like Dio B-sides. Dehumanizer was way better than that, that's for sure. Same goes for the guy who mentioned Vitus and Church of Misery, both are shit bands that people seem to worship for some reason. Orchid may have a couple songs that are good, but that's because they stole most of their stuff from early Sabbath, only with a better singer.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 am 

I would rate TDYK about 80% at MOST since, while the riffs were pretty awesome and Dio sounded great, the drums sucked balls.
I just don't feel impressed by the album.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm 

Latest video blog from the Sabbath stable -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jmEPfHP9FY

They talk about the "Sabbath sound".

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:01 pm 

Stream the studio version of "End of the Beginning" here

http://www.futuro.cl/destacados/black-s ... ado-de-13/
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 pm 

shouvince wrote:

:durr: wow.
I had missed that link the fist time around, but now I wish I had left it alone. It's the same cheap bullshit "back-to-the-roots" and "beautiful snowflake" propaganda Sharon's PR team has been throwing at the audience for quite a while now, only like tenfold. It's got it all: montage of classic photos with Bill Ward cropped out? Check. 99% of the clip's soundtrack made from actual 70s albums samples, even as we see the current band playing? Check. Every word coming out of every speaker's mouth sounding like they have no clue in the world what Sabbath was ever about, but they've been given a standard PR speech to read instead? Check. Bold-sounding statements proven wrong by the clip itself as they are being made (like, you know, "we went back to recording like in the old days" being uttered on top of images of the band tediously re-re-re-re-recording each tiny bit one at a time in a modern-day loft with a half-naked Rick Rubin playing on his iMac in the background)? Fucking check.

Damn, this is so embarrassing.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:01 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
shouvince wrote:

:durr: wow.
I had missed that link the fist time around, but now I wish I had left it alone. It's the same cheap bullshit "back-to-the-roots" and "beautiful snowflake" propaganda Sharon's PR team has been throwing at the audience for quite a while now, only like tenfold. It's got it all: montage of classic photos with Bill Ward cropped out? Check. 99% of the clip's soundtrack made from actual 70s albums samples, even as we see the current band playing? Check. Every word coming out of every speaker's mouth sounding like they have no clue in the world what Sabbath was ever about, but they've been given a standard PR speech to read instead? Check. Bold-sounding statements proven wrong by the clip itself as they are being made (like, you know, "we went back to recording like in the old days" being uttered on top of images of the band tediously re-re-re-re-recording each tiny bit one at a time in a modern-day loft with a half-naked Rick Rubin playing on his iMac in the background)? Fucking check.

Damn, this is so embarrassing.

Wow, that's awful. Can't anybody talk to them and show them how out-of-touch and wrong they are about nearly everything? Embarrassing is exactly the word. I can't believe they have so many sycophants and yes-men just oking all this crap.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:10 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Stream the studio version of "End of the Beginning" here

http://www.futuro.cl/destacados/black-s ... ado-de-13/

I wanted to punch that annoying motherfucker speaking over the track at first.

The track itself sounds good, although it lacks a certain edge. It at least *sounds* good. Really liking how each instrument has a place in the mix. The rhythm section is has room, nice guitar tone and I don't know how they did it but Ozzy's voice sounds natural for a dude who can't sing for shit anymore.

But the song itself is slightly derivative and stale. I still like it for what it is, though!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next