Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 am 

I would add a job involving music to mine. I am already good at what I do (a translator) but I would drop it in heartbeat if I could find a job involving music in some form or fashion and could live off it.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 am 

It'll probably change as I do, but...

-Release 8718395879018359+ releases in my entire musical lifetime and play shows once in a while
-Live in a shitty apartment with a girl who truly loves me
-Slowly get my degrees/education with her
-Get a degree in some sort of bio-medical field
-Slowly climb up the ladder in wealth
-Have weird unbreakable bond with girl because we went through a total shithole together
-Get a dog
-Spawn a boy and/or girl
-Die

mogila
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am 

Getting my black belt in taekwondo, currently red tip

red
black tip
black

Taekwondo is my love in life.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am 

Live long
Laugh hard
Love lots

Oh, and write my stories

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 am 

My goal in life is finding a goal in life.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 am 

inhumanist wrote:

Then wasn't your goal accomplished the moment you came up with it?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 am 

mogila wrote:

red
black tip
black

Cool! What about winning tournaments?

-Graduate for my current education.
-Graduate for my education I'll do after this (thinking of psychology, creative therapy or something music-related.)
-Eventually get a cool girlfriend with similiar interest.
-Become a somewhat decent singer.
-Start a band and release music.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 am 

Well, my primary goal for now is to graduate from my university with Bachelor's in Japanese studies (or Japanology as it is called in here) so I actually have some official degree to make things easier for the degree and paper-loving companies to see I do have credentials, officially. JLPT1 and some other tests just don't cut it these days to get work or to progress onwards to Master's studies, though they do help a bit for some job applications because they are standardised tests, I guess. Anyway, after graduating, I am going to be on the look-out for occasional job opportunities (I already have a summer job related to my studies), mainly in the translation field. I have a few contacts in those fields too and there's lots of demand for translations, so it should work out okay.

Come autumn, I am going to study English philology the minimum required amount needed for the official "competence" in said language (it's something like 45 or 60 credits in here, so about half a year) for teaching/interpreting/translation, so I can interpret from Japanese to English and vice versa as well as having yet another set of official credentials that will help me with English->Japanese translations and getting work in that field. I've never studied English specifically in any way or form and while I do have confidence for English translations (I've been doing fansubbing and unofficial translations for a while too), companies might not be satisfied without any kind of official credentials. So that's why I am going to study English the minimum amount, even though there's lots of work as it is for Finnish<->Japanese -translations et cetera. While studying English, I hope to have some translation gigs going on for experience and the fun of it.

Once I'm done with the English philology, I'm going to take an interpreting course (or two), so I have the qualifications to do oral interpreting. Translating is fun and stress-free (can live on however you want with your daily rhythm etc. provided you get things done within the deadline :lol:), but interpreting seems like a good challenge and has been something I've wanted to do since my teens, so yeah.

After that, I've no idea whether I am going to pursue some other degree or get Master's in Japanese studies, but it's something I'm gonna think while getting these 3 primary goals done. All this should be achieved within a year, around when I turn 24.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

Short term I want to finish my PhD. I've been in school, with only a couple short breaks, longer than anyone I have ever known. I love college. Don't get me wrong. You have to in order to still be a student at 36. But enough is enough. Time to move on. At least this is what the program director tells me and I have to agree. It would be nice to actually start a career before I start drawing social security.

Longer term, I want to be the best damn father I can be. My boys are my life and I want their future to be as bright as I know it can be. They are smart enough and they will have the resources to be and do anything they want in life. I see it as my most important job to open their eyes to that fact and not let them close any doors that they may wish were open later in life.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 pm 

Become a scientist and a writer.

I'm a novice writer and will be studying microbiology next year at university. I plan on getting a Master's degree and hopefully publish a number of books.

Hopefully as a scientist/writer I will have many opportunities to travel.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:06 pm 

hey wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Then wasn't your goal accomplished the moment you came up with it?

Don't confuse me with your logic you serpent-tongued sophist!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:14 pm 

My goals are to:

Finish Collage.
Become a teacher.
Finish my Fantasy book and get published and maybe even make a whole series. (Don't care if its famous, doing this for fun)
Form a metal band and record atleast one album.
Marry a really cute asian girl. (Only Date/like asian girls for some reason)
Visit most of Europe and go to an Euro metal festival.
Have kids and grow up old.

That's all I can think of right now.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:15 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
My goals are to:

Finish Collage.

It's good to have goals. Just don't eat the paste, ok.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:21 pm 

Spoiler: show

I hope he doesn't want to become an English teacher :(

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm 

To be honest, it all boils down to finding a way to be happy. I am almost 20 and generally unhappy. I have plenty of friends, do loads of 'fun' things, but it seems not to be enough, so finding a way to be happy is a great goal.

My goals would be (in no specific order I guess):

Find true love (long term, doesn't have to be now or tomorrow)
Learn how to love myself (long term, I'm giving myself some more time)
Stop wasting time and not having days anymore in which I do absolutely nothing (short term)
Not very realistic, but I want to challenge Dostojevski's genius in writing. (long term)
Earn a black belt in karate and progress further, it's just the beginning (long term, obviously)
Travel the world (Japan, China, Russia, Scandinavia).
Perhaps move abroad (Iceland, Austria, Germany and Norway are great options).

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 pm 

Is it bad that I don't really have any ultimate goal in life right now? Moving out of my parents' house was at the top of my list for a couple years and I just thankfully crossed that one off... now I'm left feeling like I'm just kinda meandering through the daily grind for no real reason.

It's weird that this topic was just started, though. I was just thinking about this the other day- the fact that I have no long-term goals at the moment. It's a depressing epiphany, to be honest. But on the other hand, you have to realize that you are mentally evolving/adapting every single day whether you're aware of it or not. So I guess that might help some of you.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:39 am 

my goal in life is just to be at peace and not to keep wanting things, contending with others or being governed by emotions.

I've always fancied being a monk living in a monastery somewhere near a mountain, but I'm too hot headed and idealistic, so I'd have to be much older, though if I see cruelty or injustice I'd probably still act very forthrightly and violently (even if just in words) so my chances of realising this aren't good - though who amongst us is without flaw?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:12 am 

FlaPack wrote:
Longer term, I want to be the best damn father I can be. My boys are my life and I want their future to be as bright as I know it can be. They are smart enough and they will have the resources to be and do anything they want in life. I see it as my most important job to open their eyes to that fact and not let them close any doors that they may wish were open later in life.

Niice!

mcmufffins wrote:
Hopefully as a scientist/writer I will have many opportunities to travel.

You will.

inhumanist wrote:
Don't confuse me with your logic you serpent-tongued sophist!

LOL!

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
My goals are to:
That's all I can think of right now.

Not bad.

Scorntyrant wrote:
[img]
It's good to have goals. Just don't eat the paste, ok.

LOL!

Samoroth wrote:
To be honest, it all boils down to finding a way to be happy. I am almost 20 and generally unhappy. I have plenty of friends, do loads of 'fun' things, but it seems not to be enough, so finding a way to be happy is a great goal.

You should start to ask yourself why.

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
But on the other hand, you have to realize that you are mentally evolving/adapting every single day whether you're aware of it or not.

One of the things that makes me happy is the feeling of evolution.
I mean, achieving your practical or mental goals.

mindshadow wrote:
my goal in life is just to be at peace and not to keep wanting things, contending with others or being governed by emotions.

Yeah, I understand but you don't have to live isolated to achieve this.

Personally, I'm into one of the happiest moments of my life even if I'm not working since last November (or, maybe, BECAUSE of that and the fact that I now have lots of time for myself and the things/people that I love).
I'm starting to discover the connections between much facts that seemed isolated till now.

mogila
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am 

colin040 wrote:
mogila wrote:

red
black tip
black

Cool! What about winning tournaments?

Tournaments aren't really my thing, although I have been a little interested lately.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 am 

- Not sucking. I don't blame people who one way or another up til now have told me I suck. I definitely have.
- Dying really fucking old from no significantly painful debilitation. The more capable I am the older I get, the better.
- sleeping more. duh.
- live well, love well. The creed! (for me and anyone else who isn't a shit heel.)

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:34 am 

Deviante wrote:
Well, my primary goal for now is to graduate from my university with Bachelor's in Japanese studies (or Japanology as it is called in here) so I actually have some official degree to make things easier for the degree and paper-loving companies to see I do have credentials, officially. JLPT1 and some other tests just don't cut it these days to get work or to progress onwards to Master's studies, though they do help a bit for some job applications because they are standardised tests, I guess. Anyway, after graduating, I am going to be on the look-out for occasional job opportunities (I already have a summer job related to my studies), mainly in the translation field. I have a few contacts in those fields too and there's lots of demand for translations, so it should work out okay.

Come autumn, I am going to study English philology the minimum required amount needed for the official "competence" in said language (it's something like 45 or 60 credits in here, so about half a year) for teaching/interpreting/translation, so I can interpret from Japanese to English and vice versa as well as having yet another set of official credentials that will help me with English->Japanese translations and getting work in that field. I've never studied English specifically in any way or form and while I do have confidence for English translations (I've been doing fansubbing and unofficial translations for a while too), companies might not be satisfied without any kind of official credentials. So that's why I am going to study English the minimum amount, even though there's lots of work as it is for Finnish<->Japanese -translations et cetera. While studying English, I hope to have some translation gigs going on for experience and the fun of it.

Once I'm done with the English philology, I'm going to take an interpreting course (or two), so I have the qualifications to do oral interpreting. Translating is fun and stress-free (can live on however you want with your daily rhythm etc. provided you get things done within the deadline :lol:), but interpreting seems like a good challenge and has been something I've wanted to do since my teens, so yeah.

After that, I've no idea whether I am going to pursue some other degree or get Master's in Japanese studies, but it's something I'm gonna think while getting these 3 primary goals done. All this should be achieved within a year, around when I turn 24.

Would you believe it that you have basically the same goals as I do? I graduated with a degree in East Asian Studies with a focus on Japanese, passed the N2 my junior year when I studied abroad, graduated last year, now I'm living in Japan. Here's the beef: it's really hard to get hired as a 正社員 for translation, and the jobs are almost always seeking out someone who IS native Japanese but can speak English. I've been denied plenty of times and told basically 'sorry we are looking for Japanese only'. Hopefully your contacts can help you out with that. There is, however, plenty of freelance work, but this will not get you a visa, and they often expect you to use very expensive software to translate it(I'm still contemplating taking the jump into freelance work and buying this software). I have never heard of interpretation courses... are they usually some kind of University related thing? Can anyone just walk in and take one? What kind of certification does it give you?

I'm gonna be taking the N1 in approximately two months. I hope my Japanese ability has improved enough since passing the N2 two years ago, though to be honest I don't feel like I've been studying enough. I read a lot of books though.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Let's get back on track.

I want to be an interpreter/translator. I imagine that if I ever move back to America and live in my parents basement freelance would be more than enough to get by on, but as long as I'm in Japan it seems like the only work people will give you is teaching English. Which isn't so bad for now. What I'd really love is to get picked up as an in-house editor/translator for a publishing company, ideally working with novels.

Oh, and I want to buy a super sick guitar and a huge amp and just blast people's faces off. And get married to a girl who is into swinging.

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

Right now, I am aspiring to musical success playing and recording my metal compositions.

Further down the road, I really want to become an ethnomusicologist with a focus in pre-christian music, especially iron age music. I don't really give two shits about marriage and can honestly say that I really don't want to procreate, but it would be nice to find a long term partner to enjoy life with.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:45 pm 

@BasqueStorm: I asked myself why many times and I haven't found the answer. I would be happy if I did, or at least free from my own mind.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:13 pm 

Samoroth wrote:
@BasqueStorm: I asked myself why many times and I haven't found the answer. I would be happy if I did, or at least free from my own mind.

Sometimes it's not just what you want and you get. You have to find your way to flow with life's rhythm.
I'm REALLY lucky cause I have been happy almost during ALL my life (even I have been having problems with my job since like 3 years) but NOW all the pieces seem to be coming together and it's a WONDERFUL feeling.
I feel like ALL the hard work has been worth to get me where I wanted to go.
Hope you find your way to be happy too!

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:00 pm 

Last year I had an interview at a cinema school in which I didn't pass. I'm not very comfortable in these situations but I think I did good. They asked me about my previous studies (in which I failed intentionally the first few years, and which had no relation whatsoever with moviemaking) and they basically stopped there, even though after that I graduated and did nice in my master's degree (well, it's incredibly easy here after all). They didn't like what I did and they didn't like my explanation.
But then again, these people who are in the "artistic social class" are usually a bunch of hypocrites who think they have the power to decide who should do what and who doesn't. There's also talk of people getting in this school just because they know members of the jury and whatnot. Anyway it doesn't matter now.

So recently I've been thinking about it and I think I have a reachable goal: make something good out of Tunisian cinema. Movies here are usually horrible. Young directors hide their incompetence beneath the "experimental" tag, while the bigger, well-known ones either add up nudity to make people talk about it and thus see it, or just fail to make something memorable. There are exceptions, of course, but they're so rare. There's no innovation and no will to do something better. They keep recycling the same ideas with the same unrealistic situations and dialogues while trying to talk about our society at the same time. Most of the time it doesn't fit.

Meanwhile there's a lot of fields to explore and I have some vague ideas I hope I can achieve someday. I don't know of any proper Tunisian horror film for instance.
Bearing in mind some movies had a big impact without much money (I'm thinking about hand-held camera movies here, I like that style very much), I guess I could do something.

Now getting back at the start of the post, if I am able to do all of this, I would gladly spit on the faces of the people who refused me there, just to tell them we don't need them to be able to make something.

But that's like a long-term goal. For now I have to find a job as soon as possible.

Edit: I have a more difficult goal/dream: leave the country with my girlfriend and find somewhere, preferably in Europe, where we could work and live.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Samoroth wrote:

Sometimes it's not just what you want and you get. You have to find your way to flow with life's rhythm.
I'm REALLY lucky cause I have been happy almost during ALL my life (even I have been having problems with my job since like 3 years) but NOW all the pieces seem to be coming together and it's a WONDERFUL feeling.
I feel like ALL the hard work has been worth to get me where I wanted to go.
Hope you find your way to be happy too!

Flowing with life's rhythm...that is exactly what I need to learn. Just to let things flow the way they do and I should be less passive towards life. Trust me, I'm not giving up, I want to get where I want to be.

Often I like to hear other people get their pieces together, it gives me hope. Thank you; )

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 pm 

Belial wrote:
So recently I've been thinking about it and I think I have a reachable goal: make something good out of Tunisian cinema.

That's a good starting point, man!

Samoroth wrote:
Flowing with life's rhythm...that is exactly what I need to learn. Just to let things flow the way they do and I should be less passive towards life. Trust me, I'm not giving up, I want to get where I want to be.
Often I like to hear other people get their pieces together, it gives me hope. Thank you; )

Sometimes, expectations are your worst enemies.
Just learn how to flow while you get where you want to go.
Best wishes!

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:59 am 

Deviante wrote:

Just to nitpick, you don't get actual competence for teaching by just studying English Philology; you need to study pedagogical studies a certain amount as well (60 credit points I think). Also, if you're planning on studying both basic and intermediate studies in English Philology, it will definitely take a lot longer than half a year.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 am 

Bede wrote:
Just to nitpick, you don't get actual competence for teaching by just studying English Philology; you need to study pedagogical studies a certain amount as well (60 credit points I think).

True. Don't know about the points but you need pedagogy.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 am 

I don't really have many life goals, I guess perhaps buying a house, having lots of money and still working in this job that I am in now because I really like it.

I'd like to not fuck up another long term relationship too really, I just got out of a four year one and now learning to be a better person.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm 

Stay married, buy a house, raise my kids right, teach math and own badass BMW's.
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

EyeOfTheMoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 am 

-Achieve some top-notch album art artist status.
-Learn to play guitar, at least good enough to pull out an EP.
-Lose weight, get ripped, lead a healthier lifestyle.
-Own an insane collection of LPs.
-Have a good steady job that is related to the first goal.

I guess my life must sound like a fucking wreck to most of you.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 am 

Concerning my career, I would like to earn a living as an English teacher for full-time job. I also intend to improve my Spanish, German and Russian gradually. It shouldn't be so hard because learning foreign languages is my hobby.
Of course, there are a lot of other things that I want to achieve in my lifetime but I will keep details for myself.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:36 am 

evil528e wrote:
... and own badass BMW's.

BMWs suck! LOL!

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 pm 

- Have Arnold Schwarzenegger's body
- Release the best most amazing fucking power metal album ever, so good it actually obliterates non-metal music forms
- Become a sword-master
- GW doing a movie of the Horus Heresy, and me playing the Emperor. I settle with the Guilliman's or Dorn's role, but whatever

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:34 pm 

I want to be paid to work full time on the Linux kernel, I already know C and C++ pretty well but I've yet to properly work on kernel C but I do have a graduate job developing software in C++ on a Linux environemt(Redhat 6) so hopefully I can take it from there.

Imperator666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm 

- Get a PhD in Classical Studies
- Have a family, and do a damn good job at parenting
- Get a six-pack
- Own a big dog, preferably a St. Bernard
- Go to Italy
- Date a sane person for once
- Finish Moby Dick

IntenseHatred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:15 pm 

Cool thread

Last edited by IntenseHatred on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 pm 

- get better at electric/acoustic guitar, eventually learn mandolin and other acoustic instruments
- take a year off to travel after finishing my degree next year
- learn woodsman survival skills and do lots of weekend camps alone
- make lots of money without compromising myself
- own a property in the country, put a log cabin on it and secede from the rat race
- bang that babe at the gym who keeps watching me make gains despite being there with her BF

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:58 am 

I have a few. Going from short-term to long-term...

1. Do well in college, especially in the courses where I'll really have to work my ass off (chem, calc, physics)
2. Build up my writing regimen, aiming for at least 1000 words per day; also, finish my book manuscript I'm currently working on
3. Keep up and maintain my high school friendships
4. Travel as cheaply and as frequently as possible in the next few summer/winter breaks (specific places/trips: US west coast road trip, work in Scandinavia)
5. Graduate college (highly dependent on #1)
6. Travel extensively post-college (working, not touristing)
7. Get published, ideally my own fiction

That's about it. I have a few more, but they involve outer space and dinosaurs and really aren't feasible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next