Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:50 am 

I honestly thought the cover was a joke at first. The wagon and lightning looks like it was shooped onto the rest of the picture. And dear god, his face... AA just went full retard.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:23 am 

Welcome to the wonderful world of photo manipulation. This shit will never match a decently painted album cover.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
XcKyle93 wrote:
Is there a facepalm emoticon? I directly quoted you. You quoted me quoting you. I suppose you're unfamiliar with how to employ an ellipsis.

You didn't directly quote me. You cut off words in between. You linked the beginning of one sentence I wrote to another sentence I wrote. That is not direct quoting. While I know the ellipsis can be used to *snip* away words and whole sentences, linking the beginning of one sentence to the ending of another, unrelated sentence like that is just utterly wrong and completely twisting my words into what you want them to represent. Sort of like constructing a strawman.

Lol just go and read your original post.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:13 pm 

The term I used was "Changing/selling out/whatever" which was directly quoted from your original post.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:17 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
Anyways, I just think that some metal fans are a bit uptight when it comes to enjoying new metal music, especially new music from bigger and popular bands like Amon Amarth.

This is a bullshit statement that people always use when others don't like the same things they like. Don't like Amon Amarth or other such bands? Must be uptight...pfft, please. Also MacMoney's point was very easy to understand, as apparently everyone but you got it instantly.

For the record I think pretty much everything I've heard from them except the earlier stuff is dull. Just does absolutely nothing for me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 pm 

After hearing the track a couple times, I stand by my initial opinion. It's fine, but that's it. It's fine for fans but really doesn't tread any new ground and just kinda does its thing as utilitarian as possible. It's a thing that happens.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:51 pm 

Damn, that track was utterly average. I mean, these guys are not bad at all and the track is not terrible or offensive, but this is seriously unoriginal. This song is totally interchangeable with anything from Surtur, Twilight or Oden.

I like consistency, but this is just self plagiarism; picking a formula and milking it endlessly... not even Bolt Thrower's material feels like it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:21 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
the track is not terrible or offensive,

A "death metal band" being this inoffensive, I find that offensive.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
The term I used was "Changing/selling out/whatever" which was directly quoted from your original post.

This is for your future reference, as you're probably not a native English speaker:
http://thewritepractice.com/how-to-use- ... correctly/

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:57 pm 

Yes, I know what an ellipsis is and how it is used and while your use of ellipsis might be legit, you are still misrepresenting what I said.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
This is for your future reference, as you're probably not a native English speaker:

Is this really necessary? There's nothing wrong with MacMoney's English, it's as good as (if not better, going by a fair amount of posts here) than many native speakers' English. Also, as an aside, a lot of learners of English as a second/foreign language tend to know English grammar better than your average native speaker.

I'm on the Empyreal side of things with Amon Amarth; they just seem boring to me, in a non-offensive way. They play this very 'safe' form of death metal, and I can see why a lot of people like them, it's just not my cup of chocolate Nesquik. Always felt they were late to the death metal party, especially with the type of death metal they play. I suppose they're a good gateway band/introductory band to death metal these days for a lot of people, and I have no problems with that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 pm 

Johan Hegg seems like a good guy, but I think their music would be better with some deep, forceful clean vocals instead of his rather tame growls. The music is just too structured and melodic for DM vocals, especially when they're so reigned in. I hear he's way more fun live, but on record he just bores me, even when the riffs are good.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:15 am 

I still like 'em, even though I pretty much agree with your assessment. Something about them works for me, in spite of it being rather formula and lacking in edge.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 am 

XcKyle93 wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

Damn that's condescending. Well, if you strive to portray yourself as an ass-hat, XcKyle93, you've succeeded.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm 

matras wrote:
Damn that's condescending. Well, if you strive to portray yourself as an ass-hat, XcKyle93, you've succeeded.

Well, considering he kept saying that he didn't say what he said/I misquoted him, I just assumed that he didn't know how an ellipsis worked. I omitted a whopping three words because I was lazy, words that I had typed in the first place, words that you could easily see if you scrolled half-way up the damn page, words that were similar to the term before the ellipsis (which is another reason why I omitted them). I saw that he was from Finland, so I figured that because he wasn't a native English speaker, maybe he wasn't quite aware of how an ellipsis worked. I don't think that's too condescending, at least, not as condescending as if I were to call him a dumbass or retarded (edit: though I did mentioned comprehension problems earlier on, but that's unrelated to this grammar nonsense).

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm 

No we people from Finland and Sweden don't have ellipsis or use them. Actually we don't have any rules for writing at all. Please teach us, great American.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
matras wrote:

Well, considering he kept saying that he didn't say what he said/I misquoted him, I just assumed that he didn't know how an ellipsis worked. I omitted a whopping three words because I was lazy, words that I had typed in the first place, words that you could easily see if you scrolled half-way up the damn page, words that were similar to the term before the ellipsis (which is another reason why I omitted them). I saw that he was from Finland, so I figured that because he wasn't a native English speaker, maybe he wasn't quite aware of how an ellipsis worked. I don't think that's too condescending, at least, not as condescending as if I were to call him a dumbass or retarded (edit: though I did mentioned comprehension problems earlier on, but that's unrelated to this grammar nonsense).

His writing is better than yours, actually, and you have misunderstood his point grossly. It's just sad and hilarious at the same time that you're trying to talk down to him about this shit.

I'll lay it out for you in layman's terms, so maybe you can understand it with your simple mind: he said that staying the same and selling out can sometimes be the same thing. Let's take Amon Amarth as an example. They never changed their sound, which in the eyes of some, makes them a band of integrity. Selling out is usually used to mean a band that drastically changes their sound to something mainstream sounding. But the fact that AA have released the same album over and over again, but simplifying it and obviously catering to the fans, could also be termed 'selling out' by some standard. Which makes your earlier comment...

Quote:
Damn, some of you people are very hard to satisfy! You'll hate a band for changing/selling out/whatever you want to call it, but then you'll also hate a band for keeping roughly the same sound album after album (Amon Amarth). Or, even worse, you'll hate a band because people who are young and not necessarily into metal like them! *gasp! Make up your damn minds!

...rather rude and presumptuous.

But you probably still didn't even understand what I just wrote either. So yeah, go ahead and keep on being blatantly obnoxious and talking in this sneering, condescending tone you seem to have.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

Let's talk about Amon Amarth now, guys...

... ... ...

Be a dick one more time, Kyle, I dare you.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

XcKyle93 wrote:
matras wrote:

Actually, you did. See, while you might call him out on his understanding of English grammar (though it's not incorrect), you completely failed to understand him in the context of his writing. Or, if you did understand him, you're trying purposefully hard to misconstrue what he was stating. Here, let me play around with some ellipsis' for your sake:

XcKyle93 wrote:

Well, considering... I just assumed... because I was lazy... so I figured that... maybe he wasn't quite aware of how... I [am]... a dumbass... retarded (edit: though I did mentioned comprehension problems earlier on...).

That's definitely not out of context, right?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm 

He's either very dense, or intellectually dishonest. Take your pick. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm 

I think I went a little too far, sorry guys. I didn't mean to be a giant dick :(. I pm'ed MacMoney personally to apologize. I promise you that I'm not actually the pretentious douche that I came off as.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:31 am 

I think the released track suffers from some pretty thin production. Hopefully its just the uploaded track and not a reflection of the final product.

Anyways, I think its pretty good, not the best Amon Amarth but still solid. Personally I like the fact that I know what to expect with any Amon Amarth release; something I can rise a mug of ale too and headbang my brain out at. Never listened to them for innovation, but because theyre just fucking fun, especially the live shows.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am 

spoonhead wrote:
I think the released track suffers from some pretty thin production. Hopefully its just the uploaded track and not a reflection of the final product.

Anyways, I think its pretty good, not the best Amon Amarth but still solid. Personally I like the fact that I know what to expect with any Amon Amarth release; something I can rise a mug of ale too and headbang my brain out at. Never listened to them for innovation, but because theyre just fucking fun, especially the live shows.

True, nowadays it seems that every fucking band has to be innovative and complex and this is not true, we also need/want bands like AA which releases good and solid music in every album withouth sounding too pretentious, only great fucking and epic melodies, and thats all. :D

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm 

They might be like Arghoslent or Bolt Thrower: being consistently excellent keeping their own style without sounding like self plagiarism with poor results.

I used to like AA, but they bored me to tears with.each consequent album, being Surtur unlistenable.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm 

Man, what's up with the these melodic DM bands releasing songs that are meh? Kalmah's new single was alright, COB's first one was strictly ok, and now AA's is, well, nothing new. Not a bad thing, but not breaking any new ground.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:16 am 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Man, what's up with the these melodic DM bands releasing songs that are meh? Kalmah's new single was alright, COB's first one was strictly ok, and now AA's is, well, nothing new. Not a bad thing, but not breaking any new ground.

The fact is that they dont want to break any new ground, they dont need it and they are not going to do it. And I understand them, they are selling a great amount of cds, playing a lot of concerts and becoming quite famous, they are happy with it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm 

Funny how I don't even need to listen to this song at all to know exactly what it'll sound like.

Amon Amarth haven't changed a ton but there has been a slow drift toward a more commercialized version of their signature style over recent albums. Their catalog is pretty big at this point and if I'm ever in the mood for some Amon Amarth, I've got a number of releases full of solid tunes to choose from already. I don't see much harm in continuing to release further material in whatever fancypants collector's editions they want to a) please the diehard fans and b) rake in enough money to keep the band running and, especially, touring, as they are a great live act. Any new tunes would probably fit just fine into their setlists as well.

For a good while, at least, the band did what they did exceptionally well. They could be doing far, far worse things than releasing yet another Amon Amarth album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
For a good while, at least, the band did what they did exceptionally well. They could be doing far, far worse things than releasing yet another Amon Amarth album.

Perfectly right. Whether or not this album basks in mediocrity or not, this will not hinder their live performances at all. That's probably the greatest catch for the band at this point.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metallic Kilt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm 

This album contains their longest song yet. Intriguing... Also, I hope this album follows the trend set by SR where the main single is one of the least interesting songs.

Fitzkrieg24
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 pm 

The title track sounds pretty good, solid Amon Amarth. Hopefully the entire album turns out well because Surtur Rising just didn't do it for me, which is a shame since Amon Amarth is my favorite band.

Hopefully they can recapture the magic they found on "With Oden on our Side," since it was their best effort with a greater emphasis on melody and slower compositions, and its clear that the days of the more hard-pounding melodeath sound of their first three albums has long passed away.

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It looks like an Amon Amarth album cover. Shit's getting tedious.

I agree with you.

Plus, not being 12 years old anymore helps too. Seeing depictions of "epic" warfare in metal invokes - at best - a tepid response in me.

Or in other words:

"Meh."

(Having said this, I still like AA's music. I hope this one surpasses Surtur Rising (and doesn't suffer from Same Song Syndrome))

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm 

Another new Amon Amarth song!
https://soundcloud.com/stereogum/amon-a ... pe-shifter

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:25 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Great, more bacon! Oh wait... :oh shit:

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm 

Much better than the first song they released but still it underwhelms me, it's nothing personal against the band because if anything they are consistent but It may grow on me. Will buy this album regardless, this song is good. Nothing more nothing less.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm 

wow that was boring as hell...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

braggart_beetle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 pm 

adace wrote:
It seemed like they were starting to go in new directions on Surtur Rising so I'm really interested to see what this record sounds like. I'm already super excited to see how the track with Messiah Marcolin turns out.

I'm agree with you, it seems clearly they want to go in a new style for the band and I am excited to see what is going to be this new record; but anyway I think Deceiver of the Gods will be a little similar to Twilight of the Thunder God, may be a little more similar or much more similar (talking about their riffs). But for being honest I don't think this new album exceeds Surtur Rising ('cause for me, S.R. is their best stuff ever)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:55 am 

Not a bad song but I prefer the first one, lets wait and listen to the rest of the album.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 am 

Hmm, well.. forgive me for ever doubting Amon Amarth. That song kicks some serious ass, much, much better than the title track they released earlier. Very heavy, ballsy verses and great melodies in the chorus. Perhaps I won't be skipping this album after all.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 am 

Liking this one more. That verse riff is pretty damn cool.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:26 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Hmm, well.. forgive me for ever doubting Amon Amarth. That song kicks some serious ass, much, much better than the title track they released earlier. Very heavy, ballsy verses and great melodies in the chorus. Perhaps I won't be skipping this album after all.

Funny cos as a huge fan of the band, this song is quite a disappointment. Of course, I'm not expecting them to sound like their early releases...
Have you gave "Once Sent From The Golden Hall" a listen? Personally, the best Amon Amarth album to date

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next