Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

I've been really interested in headphones lately. I got myself a pair of AKG K240 headphones and a FiiO E11 amplifier. I think the AKG K240 lack a little bit of punch somehow, but they're better than the junk I had before. I use them basically all day. I'm thinking of upgrading, but I still would need to know what to get, which I don't. Anyways, since I can't seem to get any help finding what pair to get, I figure I'll just ask everyone else what they use.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 am 

I use a pair of Bose I received as a gift. They're fine for movies, and music however they cut sound off when I use them with the guitar amplifier. I would honestly never pay for them though- the next headphones I buy must be able to withstand high decibel.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:20 am 

I still need new in-ears desperately, but the market is flooded with broken crap and everything needs to have completely oversaturated WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB ALL THE BASS THERE IS :(

I really don't want to spend >100 bucks on a product I can expect to break after 2 years. So if anyone can recommend anything...

As for headphones, I own a pair of AKG K 44 and they are absolutely great for their price.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:23 am 

Pretty happy with my Sennheiser HD280 Pros I got recently. Need to adjust the EQ a little for metal but it sounds great.

last.fm

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm 

I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm
They sound incredibly "alive" and give back every detail of the music, are built like tanks and feel like big, soft pillows on my ears. Clearly the best headphones I have used yet.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 pm 

I love my Ath-m50's, they sound great for every type of music I've played on them. I got a cheap $20 headphone amp for them and it doesn't really make them sound any better, they don't really need a headphone amp at all.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am 

Used by years my Sennheiser HD 457. Powerful sound with any genre of metal, from death to stoner.

Really recommended for their also excellent quality/price ratio.

"You make it easy."

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 am 

Philips Shibuya
Good enough and I don't need to sell my house to pay for them.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:58 pm 

I've been using Audio-technica ATH-M30s for about 6 months. Other than the overly long cord (which sometimes comes in handy) I've not had any problems. I can wear them for hours without any discomfort.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm 

FlaPack wrote:
I've been using Audio-technica ATH-M30s for about 6 months. Other than the overly long cord (which sometimes comes in handy) I've not had any problems. I can wear them for hours without any discomfort.

I have the same ones and sound just great. Also, the cord is pretty useful, since I use them as monitors to record, so I can move without much problems for the room.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:20 am 

My first pair of real headphones were Sennheiser HD-something, and I've had them for 7 or 8 years or something like that. The wire broke once, but luckily you can just change the wire, no problem. Recently the wire broke again, and the headphones themselves were beginning to look really shitty, and they were beginning to get uncomfortable to wear so I decided against just buying a new wire since I had a pair of Koss Porta Pro lying around that I got for free somewhere. They play alright for their size, but they're super uncomfortable to wear, and they look like something out of the 80's...

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 am 

I'm pretty happy with this (fairly cheap and nasty looking) pair of Phillips headphones [Philips SHM7410U/10 Chatmate Communication and Gaming PC Headset] that also has a decent mic attachment so it's good all round. Everything seems quite clear with decent but not overpowering bass, but it has absolutely no sound proofing and is quite comfortable unless I'm wearing my glasses. It is possible that I just haven't experienced true quality yet though...

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:02 am 

Also:
I've decided that I'll never pay for a pair of headphones where the cord isn't completely removable and changable. Where I work we sell headphones, and when people come in with their broken headphones it's in 95% of the cases the cord that's broken and almost never the actual headphones.

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:52 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
FlaPack wrote:

I have the same ones and sound just great. Also, the cord is pretty useful, since I use them as monitors to record, so I can move without much problems for the room.

I agree the long cable can be useful but I think I sometimes look a little silly with an 11 ft cord coiled in my pocket. On second thought I probably look a little silly walking around with big honking closed cans on my head but I don't really care.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 am 

I recently picked up some pre-owned WESC headphones, no earthly idea what type, and they're absolutely fantastic.

Anfauglir1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm 

I have the Sony MDR-XB500, I really like them. Sometimes the bass can drown the melodies, but for Death Metal, they are excellent!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm 

I use earbuds instead of headphones. For home I use normal Skullcandy Ink'd 2 buds, but for live I use the earbuds that come with the Shure P2TR215CL wireless module pack. I've also used the Vic Firth isolating headphones in the studio before, but I really don't like the feel of big bulky earmuff-style headphones.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm 

Anfauglir1 wrote:
I have the Sony MDR-XB500, I really like them. Sometimes the bass can drown the melodies, but for Death Metal, they are excellent!

I own these too, took me like 1 or 2 weeks to get used to the bass but I've been using them for more than 2 years and they're my favorite headphones ever. They're so comfy too and the cord is not long, that's important since I use them everywhere.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Anfauglir1 wrote:

I own these too, took me like 1 or 2 weeks to get used to the bass but I've been using them for more than 2 years and they're my favorite headphones ever. They're so comfy too and the cord is not long, that's important since I use them everywhere.

Had a pair of those for around three years and used the shit out of em. The amount of bass those things put out is ridiculous, though mine softened somewhat over the years.

last.fm

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 am 

Got these for free when I bought my phone. They work pretty good, I only miss a volume control on that little thing on the cord though.

Reply to topic