Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm 

Metal: Black, death, progressive and anything related to those...

Career: Fucking unemployed, I have really bad luck and I haven't been able to get hired for any of the jobs I've applied for in 2013. 2013 hasn't been a very good year for me, anyways... I've not the slightest idea what I'm going to do with myself, either, when it comes to potential long-term jobs/careers.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm 

Still trying to figure out what I want to earn my living through. Probably some form of learning a craft/trade/skill that allows me to be very mobile and isolated. Being a seamstress specializing in period clothing / fantasy costumes for theaters or films is very intriguing. Farming with just enough surplus to sell for a small income is also appealing. I'm currently traveling and volunteering on farms, so that will let me have a better picture of what 'career' to choose. I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing a mix of farming and some sort of craft/trade on the side.

Metal interest: primarily black and folk, but it extends all over the place

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:40 pm 

I heard Lemmy once say something about how the good things in your life are accidents...and everything you plan turns out like shit. This has held very true for me. I accidentally fell into the film industry and with every next gig I feel like I'm "Falling up" in a strange way. I've never wanted to any exact thing in life...especially since ghostbusting doesn't exist and music makes no money....but I was always a child of movies, comics, TV, radio and loosely tumbled in that direction. All you can do is the best job possible and hold out for that right place/right time scenario.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm 

I'd like to work in web design as well as graphics and media. I like working with texture, color, shades, shapes, sizes and styles. I like to draw and work with computers so it seems like the most logical career path that I could follow at the moment.

Favorite genres - Blackmetal/black gaze, ambient, drone, darkwave/dungeon synth.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 pm 

Metal: Black, Doom

Life: went to college, was going to be a writer. accrued a BA in English, Philosophy, Political Science and Theology. was going to be a writer. I'm a professional drunk who lives on writing admin work for a bookstore/moving company, serves people gourmet coffee and roasts beans, and ghostwrites erotic novels for old people. can't say I'm super happy....can't say I'm bummed out.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 am 

Metal: thrash, death, black, extreme metal in general. Some traditional metal is OK, but I hate most power metal and doom metal.

And my situation in life couldn't be more dismal. I'm 40 years old and I'm a socially excluded long term unemployed person. It's not that I'm lazy or that I never tried. I have a masters degree in in economics. I graduated seven years ago with excellent grades. Ever since I've been basically unemployed, besides some odd jobs that I have done occasionally like telemarketing and shoveling snow in the winter. Now I have been unemployed for two years in a row. The jobless benefit that the government pays me is 517 euros per month.

It's hard to have any prospects for the future in a country that is dying a slow agonizing death in economic terms. Finland is going down the exact same path as Greece went. All the manufacturing facilities are closing down and all the jobs are being outsourced to China and India. The unemployment rate is skyrocketing. In just a few years there will be a total economic collapse and the standard of living that we take for granted will be a mere memory. The only thing that's still propping up the economy is government debt, that is being accumulated at the fastest pace in the whole world. Within the next few years the government will become insolvent and then the streets will be infested with beggars and people will be starving. Regardless of how miserable my current situation is, I still feel relatively happy considering how bleak the future looks like.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am 

Might be time to invest some of those pennies in going back to university Shredded. You could try to get a gig as an mature age apprentice, chef, graphic designer.. you could pour drinks in a pub/bar?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 pm 

Metal: death and thrash mostly but pretty much everything bar power metal.

I have my second last exam at University, will have completed a BsC in Computer Science this time next week and I have a post grad job lined up as a software developer at a big American company :-D but it's not Microsoft :P I'll be a C++ developer primarily working on Linux. Pretty happy with that.

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
and ghostwrites erotic novels for old people

Please tell more! I've always been curious about the production of high-volume "formula" genre novels.

I like most genres of metal. I have a BA in music and am working on a masters in library and information science. I work part-time in the library world and also make weird black metal.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 am 

Favorite genres: Varied....I'm big into folk/viking, heavy, black, death, gothic, stoner, doom and power among a lot of other other non "metal" stuff (Oi punk, HC, Neofolk/neoclassical, martial, dark ambient)

Career: Currently I'm serving out an abnormally long enlistment (because I'm stupid) in the Marines as a grunt... and when I do go back the human world I'm planning to go into various trade work; I'm not sure exactly what KIND of trade work yet exactly, but with my benefits I should be able to branch out and get multiple certifications. Lately I've been looking at electrical and HVAC in particular but I'm not set on anything yet. Skilled labor and fixing rich people's shit when it breaks is good job security...I prefer a somewhat blue collar lifestyle and I'm hoping that this path will lead to independence as in independant contracting/being my own boss someday.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 pm 

well, if there's one thing I think we can all agree on it's that life in of itself is a huge pain in the ass...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:59 pm 

I want to find my soul mate.

and move to the small shitlhole in Mississippi where I lived as a child. Specifically the same house.

I want to make it an open house. Like Dial House. and have touring bands passing thru MS come in and record tapes in a makeshift studio me and my smokin' hot BF will build 2gether. and well both be janitors at the local K-12 to make money/

That is seriously my biggest dream right nowl.

duh: I like crust, lol.
but also old school DM. various styles of non-shit BM. and other crap.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Line of work: Jesuscop (thanks Tony, I may have to switch my username now...)

wut. can we do that?

can I do that?

Meconium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 am 

Genres : folk/viking, black, death, other random shit as it comes to me.

Currently working on my PhD in communication (social sciences). I focus my research on how people communicate about taboo subjects like sexual risk and sexual health, and how we can use that information to design more effective/persuasive health campaigns and interventions.

S'funny because for a long time I didn't think I wanted to go to college. Once I was in college I thought there was no way I'd ever pursue an advanced degree. Initially signed up for my major thinking I'd go into the music industry, or maybe marketing, and hosted a late-night metal radio show for a couple years. Turns out I don't have the temperament for the music industry or marketing, and I had a lot more questions about how people function as message creators and receivers, so off to graduate school I went. It's been three really tough years so far, with another 2-3 to go, but I love it. Discovering new data that previously did not exist to further explain how people function is just...great.

Plus the accomplishment of getting published is as close as I can come to being immortal, for the time being.

My goal is to attain a tenure-track faculty position at a university where I can conduct research and teach. I like teaching, even though students can occasionally be dimwits. I've managed to sneak in a few "metal" lectures, though, and that's always fun. Once I got to lecture to a class of approximately 500 students on the effects of violent and aggressive media on adolescent behavior. Opened the class by discussing the case of James Vance v. Judas Priest, posing the question of whether media can solely be blamed for the actions of anthe individual. That was fun.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:27 pm 

I'm in sheet metal, fabrication. I build anything to do with HVAC. Lots of welding.

My favourite genres would have to be death metal, and melodic death metal, but I honestly love a large majority of metal genres.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:55 pm 

I'm eventually going to have to get involved in a career that involves some element of "danger". I tend to only be able to keep an interest in something if it gives me a thrill every now-and-then. I'm considering firefighting, crime scene clean-up, animal handling, and even journalism (though that one is slightly unrealistic for me). People always advise you to look at your childhood hobbies to help you decide what career to go into. I used to love standing outside to watch thunderstorms roll in as a kid. I had a little camcorder I'd keep on me in hopes of recording a tornado or something exciting. That nervous/excited feeling I'd get then is the same feeling I get when I go to metal shows and I'm waiting for the headlining band to get on stage.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:47 pm 

Heavy metal, and I'm already an English Teacher. I'm not sure though if I want to spend my life teaching, I'd love to have a ranch of some sort. (I'm serious)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:49 pm 

I'm an extreme metal guy, but especially death metal.

I'm going to a broadcasting school in July, and what I want to do is radio DJ'ing. I also want to do more session work with drumming, and I've got an interest in voice acting and other voice over related fields that I want to make something out of.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:46 pm 

Currently: 23 years old, final year student of Japanology/Japanese studies, have a good bartending summer job at a high-class hotel's terrace bar (and a more gig-based summer job wherein I am to guide tourists around places, relating to my Japanese studies). Looking to get some cash from these summer jobs (and some resume additions are nice too, of course!), then graduating with a Bachelor's in Japanese studies, while also reading English philology during my final year of said Japanese studies. I would like to work as a translator and or an interpreter, getting credentials for the former simply from my current studies, whilst the latter requires specific courses, which I plan on to take later on. I already translate as a hobby (anime fansubs in an international group + fun song translations [if you need some Japanese songs translated, you can ask me]), with a few paid translations in the mix too. Teaching is something that might interest me, too, but it's not like that door would not be open to me at a later time, too, so I am really focused right now with my current goals.

Metal-wise: Everything goes if it's good. No genre favourites, really. Actually, that applies for all music. I'm listening to power metal as I'm writing this message, but really, everything goes metal-wise if it's good, though I tend to listen to brutal death metal, funeral doom metal and groove metal the least.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2