Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 pm 

Sadistic, grow a thicker skin, man. Batman wasn't being a dick at all. I can't say the same thing for Zodi though! But next time, try to be way more thorough with your reviews. Especially with well known albums. Google is your best friend!

Deperso..., if you want to attack me, at least try to spell my name right, eh?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Sadistic, grow a thicker skin, man. Batman wasn't being a dick at all. I can't say the same thing for Zodi though! But next time, try to be way more thorough with your reviews. Especially with well known albums. Google is your best friend!

Deperso..., if you want to attack me, at least try to spell my name right, eh?

Fair enough point taken, I am pretty thorough but this passed me by for some reason even though I did actually intentionally check it, without checking this site for some strange reason. Lesson learned :)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 pm 

If you do a little digging, you'll find that not only was the album recorded by Tomas Skogsberg at Sunlight, but the guitar tech on the album was actually Uffe from Entombed (who knew the Norwegians through being in Morbid with Dead of Mayhem fame) and Tomas Lindberg of At the Gates is also given an art credit on the album. Though some musicians were very vocal about the rivalry between the two scenes, there was a decent amount of cross-pollination back in those early days.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
If you do a little digging, you'll find that not only was the album recorded by Tomas Skogsberg at Sunlight, but the guitar tech on the album was actually Uffe from Entombed (who knew the Norwegians through being in Morbid with Dead of Mayhem fame) and Tomas Lindberg of At the Gates is also given an art credit on the album. Though some musicians were very vocal about the rivalry between the two scenes, there was a decent amount of cross-pollination back in those early days.

That's pretty interesting, I guess the assumption is that with the Norwegian black metal scene being vehemently anti Swedish death metal there could be no cooperation whatsoever. I must re read the liners of my copy of Soulside Journey, I have the digipak remaster and the liners are very skimpy but I definitely missed the Sunlight Studio part and even went out of my way to check if they definitely didn't record there and couldn't find anything on Google. In future I'll just check out Metal Archives.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 pm 

This page also has a list of everything recorded at Sunlight:

http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage/oldschool/studios/SunlightStudio.html

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm 

If I recall correctly, the relationship with the swedes went bad around the time Darkthrone changed to black metal and the whole 'circle' trashed the death metal scene - Probably Euro had to do with this as well, as other norwegian bands switched from death to black metal and Euro was quite the asshole anyway. The Dead's suicide I guess only made things worse, especially when, at the time, it was 'kinda known' that Euro often said to Dead that he should kill himself and he also send Dead's Skull pieces to some musicians (Morgan from Marduk and Vorph from Samael among the 'chosen ones'). The guy was very unstable emotionally so it was a matter of time that he would do it, especially if a guy from his own band was always teasing him.

ps: sorry for the op.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
The Dead's suicide I guess only made things worse, especially when, at the time, it was 'kinda known' that Euro often said to Dead that he should kill himself and he also send Dead's Skull pieces to some musicians (Morgan from Marduk and Vorph from Samael among the 'chosen ones'). The guy was very unstable emotionally so it was a matter of time that he would do it, especially if a guy from his own band was always teasing him.

Whoa, never heard anything like that. Do you have any links to interviews or anything to corroborate that? (not trying to call you out, I'm genuinely interested)

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 am 

He may not write on a regular basis, but he has a certainb fixation when it comes to rating the music.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
The Dead's suicide I guess only made things worse, especially when, at the time, it was 'kinda known' that Euro often said to Dead that he should kill himself and he also send Dead's Skull pieces to some musicians (Morgan from Marduk and Vorph from Samael among the 'chosen ones'). The guy was very unstable emotionally so it was a matter of time that he would do it, especially if a guy from his own band was always teasing him.

Whoa, never heard anything like that. Do you have any links to interviews or anything to corroborate that? (not trying to call you out, I'm genuinely interested)

Sorry, I think I don't have any links. I'm telling you this based on what was said at the time, probably some old zines have some info about it. Also, I'm sure Varg addressed the subject at least once, as well as I'm sure every Mayhem member at the time was aware of this, especially Necrobutcher, who, to my understanding, couldn't stand the whole suicide stuff - from the picture taken by Euro to the media surrounding them.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:13 pm 

I accidentally stumbled upon this...
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... 336/Noctir

Now, this is definitely not an "instant nuke" case, but I read the whole thing, and seriously.

Two third of the fucking review says nothing about the music, and this thing is longer than my reviews. Honestly, does anyone care whether Dimmu Borgir met Euronymous in an album review?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm 

That was almost as bad as his Bergtatt review.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 pm 

It's an interesting commentary to take from a certain point of view, it doesn't describe the music but is about the music - more commentary than a review.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 am 

I may be out of my league here, but if that's so shouldn't it be nuked?! It's a valid question I reckon, although I have the perfect notion that this subject has been brought before about Noctir's "less than true" BM reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 am 

Always room for more negative Dimmu reviews, though. Even though that one IS pretty stupid and its only criticism seems to be "It doesn't sound evil enough."

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:11 pm 

androdion wrote:
I may be out of my league here, but if that's so shouldn't it be nuked?! It's a valid question I reckon, although I have the perfect notion that this subject has been brought before about Noctir's "less than true" BM reviews.

Yeah, I asked for a revision of his Ulver - Bergtatt review for this reason:

Empyreal wrote:
Even though that one IS pretty stupid and its only criticism seems to be "It doesn't sound evil enough."

What about this one?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... /96/Noctir

While he mention musical aspects of the album, his criticism is not centered on the album itself, but on the band members, their 'untrue' nature, how posers they are and there are some things he mention that might be questionable, like saying IX is a death metal album.

This one is not better:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... 806/Noctir

The guy cares more about how much great album were released in 92-94 and 'how this album might affect the underground' - calling it poser again - instead of reviewing the content for what it is.

From his own review "The utilization of synth, clean vocals and acoustic guitars helps to raise the level of cheesiness". Not surprising he bashes Emperor, Ulver, Dimmu and others that use those elements.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 am 

androdion wrote:

This has been my point since like forever, and it's still beyond my comprehension how the fuck is this type of reviews "useful" to anyone besides fap material for the absolutely trvest black methvl fans on the planet.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

This has nothing to do with anything, but Autothrall actually gave a black metal album an 80%! The new Acherontas, I knew I should have added this to my order yesterday!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 pm 

He's a big BM fan you know?! And he has given a few BM albums 100% so...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:08 pm 

The highest I've seen is Sargeist - Let the Devil in with a 93% ONLY 93!? blasphemy!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:24 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
The highest I've seen is Sargeist - Let the Devil in with a 93% ONLY 93!? blasphemy!

Are you serious? He's a huge fan of black metal. Look at his Darkthrone reviews, not to mention tons of more underground stuff he's lauded over the years. You've clearly barely even scanned his reviews if you believe this is true.

PS: In fact, autothrall gave seven BM albums from 2009 perfect scores alone.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:03 pm 

No I haven't scanned his reviews and I wasn't being completely serious. I have noticed a lot of stuff I like a lot is reviewed lower than I'd expect though. Some of the reviews say the album is totally awesome, but then only get a 70% to me it just makes me think C- I know he's a tough grader, I'm just saying it was more of a joke.

Edit: I only started paying much attention to reviews very recently. It's interesting to see what reviews are being written everyday, but I don't do a whole lot of reading through stuff I already know I like. There's also a number of bands that have terrible reviews, but I still give them a shot and they end up being awesome. It's pretty damn hard to explain what music sounds like with just words so usually your own ears are the best reviewers.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm 

Sure thing, reviews are just other people's opinions put to paper, whereas you'll have to listen to the actual music to form your own opinion. They're just pointers and you can agree or disagree with them all you want. Sometimes you'll read one and get a different perspective of an album you've known for years, because you never had thought of it like that! That's the cool thing about reading reviews though, to have different perspectives than your own.

Plus, no one has the time available to listen to everything. Right?! ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 pm 

I just approved MutantClannfear's review of RITTIR, while I certainly think he's a good reviewer, he's out of his comfort zone here. I think to be a good reviewer, you need to have some hindishgt on the band and the genre they play and I know for a fact he only heard Axioma before RITTIR. That's pretty much like reviewing Iron Maiden's new album while being only familiar with A Matter of Life and Death.

While he says such things himself:
Quote:
From what I understand via word-of-mouth, Enslaved started as a relatively normal viking-tinged black metal band and have been mixing that with increasingly prevalent prog-rock influences for a little over a decade now. RIITIIR definitely sees such a progression from the previous album, and it's quite the drastic one. All the pure black metal has been totally excised from this point (even I can tell something's missing with only Axioma Ethica Odini as a reference point.

I still think he should be more familiar with the band, I know they have a long discography but eh! I certainly think that their path towards progressive music has been a constant and almost linear one. It was already present on Blodhemn (damn this album is experimental) and Eld. The Isa, Ruun and Vertebrae trilogy has seen the band moving into a softer and proggier direction while Axioma took the prog elements and was a bit heavier than these 3 previous ones. Nonetheless, I don't see how the transition between Axioma and RITTIR is a drastic one at all. I'm also not butthurt towards the note he gave the album, I thought it was a disappointing one myself, I would give it a 75 or 78 since I'm a big fan of the band.

Sorry Dill, I <3 you but I think you've shown some of your limits here. I know I'm probably too hard but that's what I think, eh.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... tClannfear

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I just approved MutantClannfear's review of RITTIR, while I certainly think he's a good reviewer, he's out of his comfort zone here. I think to be a good reviewer, you need to have some hindishgt on the band and the genre they play and I know for a fact he only heard Axioma before RITTIR. That's pretty much like reviewing Iron Maiden's new album while being only familiar with A Matter of Life and Death.

Despite agreeing with you on accounts of their long lasting musical development, I think that's not the case here. He mainly compares RITTIR with Axioma, going out of that path once or twice to say that they've been sucking the BM out and putting the prog in for evermore, which could be said about any Enslaved album over the past ten years really. But I think that he gets his point across very well, and in fact averts using the band's rather large background as a comparison base, again instead referring to RITTIR vs Axioma. I also think it's more factual to compare The Final Frontier with A Matter Of Life And Death than with The Number Of The Beast. Now that would be jumping the gun in terms of backwards uninformed criticism!

I think you're being too harsh here Tony, the review is pretty good for someone who only knows two Enslaved albums. ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 pm 

Of course I never said that you should compare TNOTB with The Final Frontier, I was merely stating that I usually like when the whole (or a large part of it) back material of a band is analysed. It's still a good review, of course but I wanted to discuss it and make the forum alive ;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm 

It's alive... ALIVE! :lol:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist it. I also enjoy when someone with a bigger background can pick out things on a recent album that have been around here and there for the past 20 years, and it's immensely cool when you have a very knowledgeable person do that in a good writing style. However I've come to grow a certain admiration for well written reviews made by newbies to a long lasting band. It's something about them being untainted with prejudice for knowing two decades worth of material by the band, and the way that the end game of the review is solely about the music at hand without too much comparisons against the entire legacy.

Those are actually two of my favourite kind of reviews, strangely enough. :)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 pm 

BastardHead, the challenge at the end of your Epsilon review, is Fangs Anal Satan a funny enough combination of words for you?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Well, personally I think it's not absolutely necessary to have a good knowledge of the band's discography prior to reviewing, it just requires a different attitude. A "I know everything" review by someone who hears the band for the first time is bound to end with a disaster, but if someone writes it with an open mind and just writes what he enjoys and what he doesn't on the album, it can be a pretty good review. This kind of reviews can be surprisingly fresh and interesting sometimes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 am 

Yeah I kind of like the fresh perspective idea. I don't necessarily have to be well acquainted with every Opeth album to tell you why I don't like Ghost Reveries.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:54 am 

Well in this case it means you have to be. :D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:52 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... astardHead

I called the authorities, BH will be denied entry into Canada if he ever feels like coming here.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:12 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Gorguts/Obscura/3009/BastardHead

I called the authorities, BH will be denied entry into Canada if he ever feels like coming here.

Im not a fan of this album either, but this review is pretty lame.

I can't help but find the irony in him saying that people must like it just because people like strangeness for the sake of strangeness, yet I can guarentee his hate for this album is merely because everyone loves it and he wants to be different and "controversial"

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Gorguts/Obscura/3009/BastardHead

You Canadians think you know it all with your maple leaves and errrr snow? :scratch: I tend to see this happen sometimes where a really popular album gets a 0 from someone but to be fair it only makes me want to listen to it to see why it a certain reviewer has a divergent opinion.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 pm 

Be cool, we were there for you during the Great Famine, mate!

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:33 pm 

I thank your ancestors for potentially helping my ancestors not starve to death :-D also I fucking hate BH :grr: :fuck: 38% for Individual thought Patterns, who approved this? not only has he been banned from Canada I'm going to somehow convince the Irish authorities to ban him from Ireland based on the fact that he criticised an album by a band not in anyway associated with Ireland.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 pm 

His reviews are automatically approved like all the other mods. When I disagree with him, I remember that this is favorite album of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLWJoeF7c0 I feel good afterwards.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:52 pm 

Damn they're not on the archives I was gonna give them a 0% and my review would go something like "derp derp derp bad album derp 0%" and you'd accept it ;) *wink wink nudge nudge*

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 pm 

I'm waiting for the next thread about someone bitching about review averages now.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I'm waiting for the next thread about someone bitching about review averages now.

I remember when I threw a shit fit over your review. :lol: Why did you delete it anyway?

Well, I have to give BH one thing; Starseed aren't bad. Too bad Nocturnus were doing something similar almost ten years earlier, and by all means even quirkier in the debut album. Still, it doesn't erase the merit these guys had for giving a modern turn of the century spin on that formula. Try listening to Eternal Dirge's Morbus Ascendit dude, I think you'll like it. ;)

With that being said, this 0% review, and even more the whole "jerking off" stigmata witch hunt is leaving me pretty much indifferent in musical terms and more annoyed in sociological terms. I know BH has a certain personal "stream of consciousness" kind of review style, but by Jove I hate it when he gets into overextended dissertations about why people like an album when they shouldn't, as it has no merits whatsoever. That 0% to DSO (Fas or whatever album it was) comes to mind.

Now this next part may come more as a social commentary rather than something actually concerning reviews, but bear with me for a second. People thrive on agreeing and disagreeing, and the experiences gained with that process, right? But why do people have to just go out hunting for stuff to hang on their trophy room, as in "you see, people love that shit, and although I never expected to like it I went on anyway and just bashed it to death because I felt like doing so". It reminds me of that part in Fight Club where Ed Norton beats Jared Leto toothless and says "I just felt like destroying something beautiful". I guess what I'm trying to say here is this, do people really need to be this confrontational when the end game is already an expectation for the given subject at hand to be hated? Do people enjoy some sadistic pleasure in enduring something they hate, just to come out at the other end and say how much they hate it?! If I had a bad impression on an album, and this is the part I can't rationalize properly, why would I endure several years of on and off listening to it in hopes of gaining some genuine enlightenment and/or appreciation?! Shit, I have so much more to listen to, why bother with something I clearly dislike?! Again this has more to do with my perception of society, and people's interactions within it, rather than the actual review. Although it does stem in a way like what I said above, due to the "8 year old listening". But seriously BH, don't take this as an attack of some sort as I'm just curious about it. This topic alone could have its own place somewhere else as a broader discussion, but I felt some of those sentiments itching by reading your review.

So I guess I just don't understand why people can't respect the individual's concept of beauty vs ugliness and feel the need to tell the whole world their opinion, how unwanted it may end up to be.

Shit, I should go to sleep, I'm getting way too philosophical in here. :violin:

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:45 pm 

Skimmed it, found it vaguely amusing but not nearly as entertaining as BH's other negative reviews.

I mean, of course he's dead wrong since Obscura is pretty much the greatest album ever recorded, but hey, you can't be right all the time. (And yeah 38% for Individual Thought Patterns seems about right in my book)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 520  Next