Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:21 pm 

doomicus wrote:
First band that comes to mind is probably Averse Sefira. Their complex and jagged riffs can definitely be extremely engaging, but at the same time I often find that my mind wanders away from the music and intense boredom starts to sit in after a few tracks--usually only to be snapped back to attention when something especially interesting comes back around in their sound.

I saw these guys live once and they were pretty good, but I haven't listened to them since.

Drowning the Light and Merrimack are 2 that come to mind for me. I bought a few CDs from each band when they were on sale, but hardly ever listened to them. I had a bunch of Merrimack CDs in my 51 disc changer for months, but never really noticed them being played... So either my CD player hates them or nothing ever really grabbed me.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hammerfall!

And not because of the obvious reasons (they are generic and too modern sounding and cheesy and blah blah blah) because I like similar sounding bands like Dream Evil and Thunderstone but Hammerfall seem to underwhelm me even when they really give it all they've got like some live album they did, that was good. It is just not something I will ever listen to again in a hurry.

I also didn't like their singer, but when I heard him in Warlord I thought he was amazing.

Queensryche!

I like bits of their early stuff and I tried to really get into them at a time when everyone was recommending them but albums like "Promised Land" and "Hear In The Yawn Frontier" just totally refused to move me. Still like that first EP though but it is hard for me to make it entirely through Operation Mindcrime without skipping several tracks.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:48 pm 

I really want to like Absu but I can't, there is something extremely girly about the way they either play or the way Proscriptor sings. I recognize they are respected and very talented but there is something repellent about them to me. But at the same time I feel that I should be listening to it.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 pm 

Varth wrote:
there is something extremely girly about the way they either play or the way Proscriptor sings.

Girly? WTF does that even mean in the context of a black/thrash metal band?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
We actually do have some decent black metal up here. Istapp, Watain, Rust (though a bit black thrashy), Marduk, Naglfar, Necrophobic, Nifelheim, Shining, Svartsyn, Vintersorg, Grift, Netherbird etc.
Sadly though, our beautiful country also produced Admonish, and Crimson Moonlight. two "unblack metal" bands...

Really? Do you just not like them cause they're 'black' metal or do you actually not like their music?

Anyways on the point of the thread, I'm having a really hard time getting into Fleshgod Apocalypse. I really like their music and their vocalist but when that guy who does the cleans kicks in it just makes me want to rip off my ears. I quite like clean vocals in my metal what ever the genre may be and I don't dislike high pitched vocal either, just the way he sings and they way it almost seems like they tried to push the cleans way down in the mix (at least that's how it sounds to me) just make me want to turn it off as soon as I hear them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:09 pm 

On topic: Another band I have a hard time deciding on is Carcass. Heartwork is pretty good, as I am a big melodeath fan, but their grindcore albums don't really do it for me... If someone would be kind enough as to post a good Carcass grind-song to kind of get me in on it i would be very grateful.

My favorite Carcass song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-FpcyrvsNI

Have you heard Necroticism? It's not anywhere near as melodic as Heartwork but it's not really grind, either. It's pretty much a straightforward old-school death metal album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
We actually do have some decent black metal up here. Istapp, Watain, Rust (though a bit black thrashy), Marduk, Naglfar, Necrophobic, Nifelheim, Shining, Svartsyn, Vintersorg, Grift, Netherbird etc.
Sadly though, our beautiful country also produced Admonish, and Crimson Moonlight. two "unblack metal" bands...

Really? Do you just not like them cause they're 'black' metal or do you actually not like their music?

Both. I absolutely loathe everything about christian music and christianity (and religion) as a whole. It is impossible to listen to the music without knowing that some jesuslovers are standing behind the mic spewing their christian agenda towards me.
Besides that they are too generic, they play very default music if you know what I mean. There is no soul in their music, it is solely to promote their religious psycho ideas.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:31 pm 

Yeah those clean vocals totally ruined the last Fleshgod Apocalypse album

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:34 pm 

I was just curious if you were writing them off with out even listening to them, I kind of agree with the bland thing with Admonish ( I only have their second ep but I would relly like to get a full length from them before deciding). As far as Crimson Moonlight goes though I really enjoy them.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 pm 

I'm sure there are probably tons more that I can think of, but the only one that comes to mind for me is Napalm Death. I think they are good, but it really takes a lot of effort for me to listen to them a lot of the time, and I don't really know what it is about them that makes it like that for me. Maybe their vocals, maybe their riffs.... maybe it's their grooves. I don't know, usually when it comes to grindcore for me I'm pretty particular, I'm more into fast and ballistic grindcore. Rotten Sound, Nasum, Anaal Nathrakh and The Secret primarily, plus a few other choice cuts. I usually find a lot of the "groovier" grindcore to be boring as fuck. But at the same time there are some songs by Napalm Death that I like as well, so I'm sort of on the fence about them...

Can someone recommend some good Napalm Death songs?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:39 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I'm sure there are probably tons more that I can think of, but the only one that comes to mind for me is Napalm Death. I think they are good, but it really takes a lot of effort for me to listen to them a lot of the time, and I don't really know what it is about them that makes it like that for me. Maybe their vocals, maybe their riffs.... maybe it's their grooves. I don't know, usually when it comes to grindcore for me I'm pretty particular, I'm more into fast and ballistic grindcore. Rotten Sound, Nasum, Anaal Nathrakh and The Secret primarily, plus a few other choice cuts. I usually find a lot of the "groovier" grindcore to be boring as fuck. But at the same time there are some songs by Napalm Death that I like as well, so I'm sort of on the fence about them...

"You Suffer". ;)

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:57 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Well, Napalm Death is my favourite band. I'd recommend you just listen to the entire Scum album, but don't listen to it as though it were a metal album - it's not. The 'grindcore' bands you named (which are primarily not pure grind) are strongly influenced by metal (indeed, in the case of the latter two, moreso than by grind). Consider it a batshit insane punk album and you'll probably get along with it better. You might also want to listen to some Siege or Septic Death as well just to check if it's actually the punky elements you dislike (neither are really grind, but both are similar to Napalm, influencing them heavily, but more on the punky side).

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm 

"You Suffer". ;)

Isn't that song on a single somewhere and the other song on it is less than ten seconds too? :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

I think Harmony Corruption is their best work by far but it is more groove oriented but it certainly has a lot of blasting and faster sections, kind of a nice blend between death metal and grindcore. I'm not the biggest ?Napalm Death fan either but Suffer the Children is an excellent song so is Cirlce of Hypocrisy. Utopia Banished is another excellent album and more grindy than Harmony Corruption. Also stay away from Diatribes if you're not into the groovy stuff. Like I said not the biggest Napalm Death fan and I basically ignore 2/3's of their discography(the pure grind stuff) because I'm not a grind fan as such.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:06 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
"You Suffer". ;)

Isn't that song on a single somewhere and the other song on it is less than ten seconds too? :lol:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Na ... pies/75886
Try less than 3 seconds all together. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

Oh my god how could you justify buying that, 2 seconds worth of music :lol:

7Halberd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm 

No. 1, and i know i'm probably gonna attract alot of attention on this but, i could just never get into exodus. I've tried several times but I never found myself listening to them for enjoyment. Theyre lyrics are ok, but their vocals and riffs are just not doing anything for me. I've listened to Toxic waltz, bonded by blood, piranha and there was nothing great there.

Another band is Merciless Death. The only song i actually like is "ready to kill". They have one of the worst vocalists that i've ever heard, he sounds like squidward from spongebob.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

Oh my god how could you justify buying that, 2 seconds worth of music :lol:

The thing that cracks me up the most is that it's a vinyl. If it were a CD you could at least put it on repeat for a couple dozen times... :lol:

ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:34 pm 

For me it's Enslaved. Haven't listened to much of their stuff yet, but it comes highly recommended from a friend. Tried Axioma Ethica Odini and Riitiir. Liked Axioma better but nothing really stuck in my head from either record. The clean vocals distract me and don't sound that great.

All of that said, there are some cool parts and I think I might appreciate more with repeated listening. So we'll see.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 pm 

ArcticSwarm wrote:
For me it's Enslaved. Haven't listened to much of their stuff yet, but it comes highly recommended from a friend. Tried Axioma Ethica Odini and Riitiir. Liked Axioma better but nothing really stuck in my head from either record. The clean vocals distract me and don't sound that great.

All of that said, there are some cool parts and I think I might appreciate more with repeated listening. So we'll see.

Check out the albums up to and including Eld. They're much simpler, and I'd argue better.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

Ensiferum.

On paper, I should be a fanboy. They are super over the top and their sound is so triumphant, only second to Rhapsody. Yet I never heard a full album, not even the first two, it's weird, because I listen to one song and I like it, but never managed to sit and listen the whole thing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:00 pm 

I'm not sure if this is in the spirit of the OP, but for me I'm on the fence about former NS-related bands, such as Thunderbolt. I don't like to support any facet of NS in my music listening, so it can be a tough choice when it comes to bands that once openly supported the ideology but have since renounced it.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

captain_che
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 pm 

Inquisition. The riffs get stuck in my head for days, but i'm not so sure about the vocals.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:31 pm 

For me lately, it's been The Ruins of Beverast: All of the songs off of Rain Upon the Impure have brilliant sections weighed down with 7+ minutes of repetition. I'm also bothered by the switching between black metal and doom metal and whenever I get used to one riffing style, they (he?) switch(es?) to the other one which sets a completely different tone and atmosphere.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:30 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Well, Napalm Death is my favourite band. I'd recommend you just listen to the entire Scum album, but don't listen to it as though it were a metal album - it's not. The 'grindcore' bands you named (which are primarily not pure grind) are strongly influenced by metal (indeed, in the case of the latter two, moreso than by grind). Consider it a batshit insane punk album and you'll probably get along with it better. You might also want to listen to some Siege or Septic Death as well just to check if it's actually the punky elements you dislike (neither are really grind, but both are similar to Napalm, influencing them heavily, but more on the punky side).

Yea I guess I'm a sucker for black/grind stuff, although I enjoy almost any grind that is fast and ballistic. I'll give Scum a listen sometime, I'll keep it in the back of my mind, it's just getting around to it that may take a bit. I checked out both Siege and Septic Death, I think it might be a combination of the punk riffs (I'm not too big on punk save for a few bands) and a speed issue - I usually like grindcore that's more hyperspeed, and I guess when it comes to grindcore I'm a sucker for that buzz saw guitar tone that all the bands I mentioned have (Anaal Nathrakh less-so). I think that might be why I find some groovy grindcore to be boring though - Leng Tch'e for example is good sometimes but other times I find them incredibly boring. HEY that's another band for this thread! But yea, I'll take a listen to Scum sometime and I'll keep in mind what you said. In any case I will probably be seeing them with Cannibal Corpse, Immolation and Beyond Creation though so maybe once I see them live it'll change my mind.

I think Harmony Corruption is their best work by far but it is more groove oriented but it certainly has a lot of blasting and faster sections, kind of a nice blend between death metal and grindcore. I'm not the biggest Napalm Death fan either but Suffer the Children is an excellent song so is Cirlce of Hypocrisy. Utopia Banished is another excellent album and more grindy than Harmony Corruption. Also stay away from Diatribes if you're not into the groovy stuff. Like I said not the biggest Napalm Death fan and I basically ignore 2/3's of their discography(the pure grind stuff) because I'm not a grind fan as such.

I'm also not the biggest grind fan, I guess I'm a bit picky with this genre. I'll give those albums a listen sometime though.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
First one that comes to mind for me is The Meads of Asphodel. I'd definitely place them on the do like side of the equation, just how much is completely lost on me. They're a unique, weird band with ability to play good riffs and have good vocals, but a lot of the stuff they do just seems comedic to me.

a lot of their stuff is comedic, and that's why i like them so much - the whole toung-in-cheeck thing they've got going on is what makes them fun

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
I'll second Anthrax, I just feel that I should like them more than I do for some reason...

They've been around since 1981 and have had quite a varied career. I think it's natural that one should feel ambivalent about their entire output.

I'm referring only to their classic albums, I haven't even gone near their hip hoppy stuff...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
- Burzum: Just getting into it and have 'Hvis lyset...' and 'Filosofem'. The thing is I really didn't want to like it because I think Varg is just a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but the music is perfect for certain moments.

You shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying great music. Varg may be a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but absolutely none of that is reflected in his music. And he surely doesn't use Burzum as a medium to promote those ideas. Listen to music without cognitave bias!

As for Burzum's actual music, it took several long nights of being under the spell to fully understand and appreciate it. The vocals were my biggest gripe.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, even though it still hurts to give him my money and I just want to listen to it at home on vinyl, not Youtube while at work, so...
What do you recommend after 'Hvis...' and 'Filosofem'? Cheers :)

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 am 

I've always been meh about Suffocation. I feel compelled to like them just because of their reputation alone but I just can't really get into them at all, Frank Mullens vocals do nothing for me really. The riffs while heavy are quite bland at times, I dunno just not for me but I'm not giving up on them yet.

There is a lot of Suffo that bores me (the slow parts) but there is also hell of a lot of :headbang:.
I saw them at Hellfest last year and they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 am 

7Halberd wrote:
No. 1, and i know i'm probably gonna attract alot of attention on this but, i could just never get into exodus. I've tried several times but I never found myself listening to them for enjoyment. Theyre lyrics are ok, but their vocals and riffs are just not doing anything for me. I've listened to Toxic waltz, bonded by blood, piranha and there was nothing great there.

If you don't like those tracks then best stop trying...
For me Exodus has the first and last albums that I can enjoy all the way through (except a couple of tracks off 'Exhibit B') and the rest is great songs off different albums, so some sort of compilation would be ideal.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am 

Lagartija wrote:

If you liked Filosofem more than HLTO I would recommend Belus, then Fallen and then Umskiptar before moving backwards. If you liked HLTO better then I suggest listening to the debut, followed by Det Som Engang Var. Aske and the various bootlegs (like Et Hvitt Lys Over Skogen) also fall there.

Just my honest opinion.

Last edited by Celtic Frosted Flakes on Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 am 

Early Fates Warning for me. Some of their songs (The Apparition, Fata Morgana, Guardian) are great, and I enjoy them, but the others just don't click with me. This is not because I haven't listened them enough. Because I am. I just hope that I "get" them someday.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 pm 

In Flames. Whenever I'm conversing with someone at a show and mention that I like melodeath, they say something like, "You must love old In Flames and Dark Tranquility." So I feel like I should be into In Flames. My bf thinks they're great. But I just can't seem to get into them for some reason..their songs kind of sound all the same to me, and I also find the vocals a bit whiny.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 pm 

Listening to Primordial right now, and something still just isn't clicking. I remember trying a few months back listening to To the Nameless Dead, and while I was impressed with Empire Falls (and who isn't?), I really couldn't make heads or tails of the rest of the album. Their songs seem just a tad too overlong and monotonous; not boring, just nothing that really grabs me by the bollocks.
Right now I'm listening to Spirit the Earth Aflame, and it's getting to the point where I'm forcing myself to keep pushing on. Maybe that's my answer, or maybe I just need to take it all in smaller doses. In any case, it's still hard to say.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 am 

Suidakra

Some of their stuff is godlike. The rest is not.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 am 

Lagartija wrote:

If you liked Filosofem more than HLTO I would recommend Belus, then Fallen and then Umskiptar before moving backwards. If you liked HLTO better then I suggest listening to the debut, followed by Det Som Engang Var. Aske and the various bootlegs (like Et Hvitt Lys Over Skogen) also fall there.

Just my honest opinion.

So all of them, basically :lol:

Thanks man, I was considering the first two :)

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 am 

Well I do not think he has made a bad record. (Except Daudi Baldrs but i don't count that or Hlidskjalf) So yeah, I'm just saying that Filosofem and the newer ones are easier to get into than the earlier ones.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
I have several. Senmuth I do like, but the huge discography is quite intimidating, as you have no idea where to start. I also like Before the Dawn, but I seem to be trying to rationalize getting it, more specifically how does it stand out from other melodeath bands. The singer I like, the riffs are good, everything fits but for some reason I'm still questioning whether or not I should get into their stuff.

My usual recommendations for good Senmuth starting points:

Ambient: Weird, Chambers, Core
Metal: Sekenenra, Sebek, Hagwallah
Industrial: RXG-(can't remember the rest of the numbers), Scientific Obscurantism
Ethnic: Nature

As for Primordial, anyone put off by the brooding, staggered nature of their later work (which I love, but it also took me a while to warm up to) should check out Spirit the Earth Aflame, since it's probably the most "epic" and progressive of their discography.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 am 

So I'm debating on ordering a couple CDs from http://www.witchinghour.pl they are like 5 Euros each so I might just give them a shot anyway.

Galgeras - I can only find 1 song from his album online and a bunch of demo songs, it sounds decent.

Alghazanth - Known about this band for a long time and they sound great, but might have too much keyboard for me...

anyone have any thoughts on these 2 bands?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:

To add to the list, i can't wrap my head around Arcturus much as I'd like to. Sometimes i think "hey, that's cool and inventive!" Other times i just roll my eyes and call it weird fir weird's sake.

Go like this: First Aspera. It's symphonic/atmospheric black metal so you shouldn't feel 'lost' listening to that album. Then, pick The Sham Mirrors, which is very spacey but also it features some more heavier numbers. Also, the vocals are a bit more standard than La Masquerade, which should be your 3rd option. You can also try My Angel, which is again very different from the rest then leave Sideshow Symphonies for the end.

captain_che wrote:
Inquisition. The riffs get stuck in my head for days, but i'm not so sure about the vocals.

Not surprising. Do you like Immortal? if so, you'll get used to the vocals.

ArcticSwarm wrote:

Listen Eld, Blodhemn and Mardraum. I only like some songs of their post-Mardraum era, so I pretty much feel the same about their later material.

Ecliptik wrote:
Listening to Primordial right now, and something still just isn't clicking. I remember trying a few months back listening to To the Nameless Dead, and while I was impressed with Empire Falls (and who isn't?), I really couldn't make heads or tails of the rest of the album. Their songs seem just a tad too overlong and monotonous; not boring, just nothing that really grabs me by the bollocks.
Right now I'm listening to Spirit the Earth Aflame, and it's getting to the point where I'm forcing myself to keep pushing on. Maybe that's my answer, or maybe I just need to take it all in smaller doses. In any case, it's still hard to say.

Primordial has that problem that they don't know when to finish the songs, cause they repeat a lot some sections. Also, while Nemtheanga's delivery is very passionate, it's kinda monotonous as well, especially on the last 2 albums.

I recommend you 'A Journey's End'.

Varth wrote:
I really want to like Absu but I can't, there is something extremely girly about the way they either play or the way Proscriptor sings. I recognize they are respected and very talented but there is something repellent about them to me. But at the same time I feel that I should be listening to it.

WTF? if you're talking about the high pitched screams, those are not less manly than the King Diamond ones, for instance.

Absu is a band that delivers well in mostly all aspects; the songs are well written, good riffs, excellent drumming and fitting vocals.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

Hypocrisy. I cant tell if they are trying to be like Slipknot or trying to be a legitimate death metal band. The new album is good. But only if Im really into the mood for it. I much prefer their earlier material like "Osculum Obscenum".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next