Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:38 am 

I like the new Battle Beast, but it's definitely got some filler/lame tracks, and I don't think it's as good as the debut.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:55 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Has anyone ever investigated if Timi Hansen was living a double life and also playing in Sortilege as "Daniel Lapp"? Talk about show stealing performances. Between the vocals and bass I forget the guitars exist at certain points.

I can't even remember paying attention to the bass in Sortilege! Aiiiiieee! But yeah, Hansen is absolutely one the best metal bassists ever.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:52 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Her ... 3540363241

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
Hey everyone! I have a very specific request in terms of Power Metal. I am a BIG fan of bands like Power Quest, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius. Can anyone recommend me some band that has allot of big keyboard sounds and/or keyboard/keytar solos within them? I know Power/Folk crossovers like Alestorm and Gloryhammer do those too, so any more Power/Folk bands would be nice to know of too.

For cheesy, albeit good keyboard-driven power metal, i'd recommend Timeless Miracle debut. Both Lost Horizon albums, while maybe not THAT keyboard-driven, are probably the best Euro-Power out there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 pm 

How fucking much does Wizard rock?! Awesome stuff. Totally unabashedly cheesy, heavy as hell early 2000s Power Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgPirFW8Q7g

"God of the DAAAAAARRRRRKKKK!" :metal:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 am 

Empyreal wrote:
How fucking much does Wizard rock?! Awesome stuff. Totally unabashedly cheesy, heavy as hell early 2000s Power Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgPirFW8Q7g

"God of the DAAAAAARRRRRKKKK!" :metal:

Wizard is indeed a cool band. I prefer their pre-Odin stuff. Was a little rawer and more straight forward. This band is a good example of being melodic and full of power too.

How are people liking the new U.D.O. track "Metal Machine"? I think it's okay and the album may be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMIQToKF8I

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 am 

I agree, their earlier material is a lot more riff-centric. In that track Empyreal linked, the guitar is just 16th-noting along on the same chord for a lot of the time.

A lot better imo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dygX5cRxjM

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:49 am 

Could someone recommend me an Axel Rudi Pell album? Thanks in advance.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:51 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Heralds_of_the_Sword/3540363241

Why does that guy have a loaf of bread on his shoulder?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:55 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I agree, their earlier material is a lot more riff-centric. In that track Empyreal linked, the guitar is just 16th-noting along on the same chord for a lot of the time.

A lot better imo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dygX5cRxjM

That was good, definitely more 80s style riffage going on there. But I really don't see a big quality difference between it and the other song I linked. They both rock pretty hard. I dig the epic edge and more elaborate songwriting on Odin a bit more though.

Listening to "Battle of Metal" as a download from their site now...this is very raw and unpolished, but pretty good. Solid, silly heavy metal.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:31 pm 

Aydross wrote:

My favourite is Eternal Prisoner, but most of them are pretty good. It is probably more appropriate to start with an album with Johnny Gioeli on vocals, since he's sung on most of them, but I still think Eternal Prisoner is the best of the one's I've heard. If you want an album with Johnny, go with Kings and Queens.

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
Hey everyone! I have a very specific request in terms of Power Metal. I am a BIG fan of bands like Power Quest, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius. Can anyone recommend me some band that has allot of big keyboard sounds and/or keyboard/keytar solos within them? I know Power/Folk crossovers like Alestorm and Gloryhammer do those too, so any more Power/Folk bands would be nice to know of too.

Are Freedom Call and Dragonforce too obvious? Both bands fit that mold well, though are probably a bit more guitar focused than the three you mentioned.

Symfonia is another good choice. It is a Timo Tolkki project that sounds very similar to the Stratovarius of the 90's. He also has a new album coming out soon: Timo Tolkki's Avalon. I'm anticipating it being closer to Avantasia than Stratovarius, but that might be worth looking into as well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:25 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Heralds_of_the_Sword/3540363241

Why does that guy have a loaf of bread on his shoulder?

I don't...know... :o

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:38 pm 

For Axel Rudi Pell I would go with Black Moon Pyramid.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 pm 

Heir Apparent's Graceful inheritance is such an awesome album. I thought I heard this band before but I must have been confusing them with another band that I passed off as underwhelming at some point. Glad to change the misconception.

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 am 

Aydross wrote:

I'd go with "Circle Of The Oath" as it flows together well and there's a lot of variety.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 am 

Aydross wrote:

There was a thread;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97771

Personally, I'd recommend "Mystica" and "Nasty Reputation". Ballsy, epic records with great songs.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 am 

Generally Axel Rudi Pell's albums are all at least of decent quality. The songwriting is usually good if you like this type of metal. I prefer the earlier stuff myself.

DSxXevious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm 

Can anybody suggest any power metal bands that have an aggressive vocalist and just in general sound more aggressive, not like they're fantasy fairies fighting dragons and saving fair maidens? Aggressive vocalist as in a more raspy sounding badass kinda sound, like Pharaoh, Heavatar, Iced Earth.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm 

DSxXevious wrote:
Can anybody suggest any power metal bands that have an aggressive vocalist and just in general sound more aggressive, not like they're fantasy fairies fighting dragons and saving fair maidens? Aggressive vocalist as in a more raspy sounding badass kinda sound, like Pharaoh, Heavatar, Iced Earth.

As repellent as your stereotyping of power metal is, I still feel compelled to rec Persuader (or, to cite BastardHead, old school Blind Guardian on PCP). Vulvagun is also worth a try, even if they're more dark and atmospheric than actually aggressive.

DSxXevious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
DSxXevious wrote:

As repellent as your stereotyping of power metal is, I still feel compelled to rec Persuader (or, to cite BastardHead, old school Blind Guardian on PCP). Vulvagun is also worth a try, even if they're more dark and atmospheric than actually aggressive.

Oh gosh sorry don't get me wrong I love Kamelot and Blind Guardian symphonic stuff with high-flying voices like that and I guess I worded that very poorly, but it isn't exactly what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Both of the bands sound pretty good, thanks!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm 

DSxXevious wrote:

PSYCHO SCREAM - Virtual Insanity demo

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 pm 

@DSxXevious; ah, don't worry. You should indeed be more careful with the way you word your requests from now onwards though. First impressions matter a lot, you know? ;)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm 

Vulvagun's singer sounds almost exactly like Todd LaTorre on the new Queensryche material...it's uncanny.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 pm 

You know what? That's bloody true. Must be a combination of similar techniques and ranges.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:29 pm 

Bloody Hell, Black Knight's Metal Screams is at parts a blatant rip-off of AC/DC's Hell's Bells. Such a pity, they seemed like an otherwise competent band.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Bloody Hell, Black Knight's Metal Screams is at parts a blatant rip-off of AC/DC's Hell's Bells. Such a pity, they seemed like an otherwise competent band.

Does not really bother me. If you must rip off, rip off from the best.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Vulvagun's singer sounds almost exactly like Todd LaTorre on the new Queensryche material...it's uncanny.

Seriously not hearing it. On the subject of Queensryche, their new album sounds horribly loud. I know it's a problem with a lot of newer albums, but it sounds really bad on Redemption. Still, the songs they've released have grown on me. Where Dreams Go to Die is pretty bitchin'. Drums still sound pretty bad though.

Also finally heard the the Tate version. It's not as bad some make it out to be, but it's not good by any means. Those bonus tracks...wow. They sound so lifeless and dull. Not sure how the band got the power metal tag on the archives.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Seriously not hearing it.

It's not identical I guess, but I just always think of Vulvagun when I hear that "Redemption" song in particular. In "Where Dreams Go to Die" the resemblance isn't quite as striking I suppose, but still.

ZEROMETAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm 

DSxXevious wrote:

I'd recommend Galneryus or Skywings, but I think they're a bit too high pitched for you? Ha! So...I would throw in:

Concerto Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpXhkyhRF4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHyFNbVsj4c

Far East metal? Oh yes. Click.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:33 pm 

Dude! Just fell across this gem on amazon...

Picture - Warhorse

From Holland. It's like modern Saxon meets German power metal. Fucking awesome!

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

DSxXevious wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLWTdDGUq-k

Grand Materia by Morgana Lefay, perhaps? Not as raspy, but some meaty riffs.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Dude! Just fell across this gem on amazon...

Picture - Warhorse

From Holland. It's like modern Saxon meets German power metal. Fucking awesome!

If you want some really cool stuff and classic metal to boot try the "Eternal Dark" album from those guys. Seriously awesome classic heavy metal.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 am 

Eh, Picutre is pretty good but honestly they're just not that consistent. Some of their tracks are really good ("Griffins Guard the Gold" is a great heavy metal track) but for the most part they're decent but kind of forgettable. There are much much better Dutch bands from the 80s (Vault, Martyr, Mysto Dysto, Defender, Emerald, Dark Wizard, and Vortex, to name a few).

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am 

Looks like Ragnarokkr fest is hoping to pull in SATAN and GRIM REAPER as headliners, also CROWHAVEN, IRON MESSIAH, AXEMASTER will be confirmed soon, good chance of AMULANCE as well

The fest is running a kick-starter to help cover the base costs of the fest (venue, etc) and one of the perks is that you can get live audio recordings of the main stage bands and the sound quality was real good. Tyrant's Reign, Ashbury, Omen, OZ, Sleepy Hollow, etc etc. I dunno if any of you US-crowd went this year but I went and it was a fucking blast. Great bands, great venue, good food, good beer, it was a damned fine time.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rag ... lypse-2014
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:24 am 

Just some quick CAULDRON BORN news:

I will be singing on the upcoming CAULDRON BORN album, entitled "Sword and Sorcery Heavy Metal". It has 3 brand new songs (one clocking in at 12 minutes!) and has previous demos also included.

I'm VERY excited about this because I have been a huge fan of this band for many years! The new material is really excellent!

http://www.echoesofcromrecords.com/caul ... __net.html

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 am 

Well that's good news for sure, it's no secret around here that I'm rather fond of Cauldron Born myself. I just want some new material, goddammit!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:55 am 

Very good news. I am a HUGE Cauldron Born fan and even a have a t-shirt from the pre-order of the reissue of the debut album. Colour me very excited about this new album. I also like Temple Of Blood very much and I think the vocals will fit Cauldron Born well. Onward for Crom's sake!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 am 

Yes, I think we're all foaming for some new Cauldron Born material, but to be fair I still don't have the entirety of And Rome Shall Fall committed to memory yet like the debut.

Got my Lazarus Sin disc in last night. Its the "Lou Psypher" edition which seems like a pretty quality bootleg. I can definitely hear a lot of the 70s influence in the riffing and songcraft, it's pretty incredible to me this was recorded in '88. Really digging the vocalist too, I thought he was all mid-range until he finally let loose at the end of a song. He really knows how to make you wait/appreciate the falsettos. Anyways I only had time for a cursory listen on the way into work today but I don't regret my purchase at all and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

Thanks again Zdan!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Yes, I think we're all foaming for some new Cauldron Born material, but to be fair I still don't have the entirety of And Rome Shall Fall committed to memory yet like the debut.

Got my Lazarus Sin disc in last night. Its the "Lou Psypher" edition which seems like a pretty quality bootleg. I can definitely hear a lot of the 70s influence in the riffing and songcraft, it's pretty incredible to me this was recorded in '88. Really digging the vocalist too, I thought he was all mid-range until he finally let loose at the end of a song. He really knows how to make you wait/appreciate the falsettos. Anyways I only had time for a cursory listen on the way into work today but I don't regret my purchase at all and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

Thanks again Zdan!

My pleasure Jonpo :)

Yes there is a ton of 70s influence in the riffs and arrangements. I personally hear nods to albums like "Stained Class" or some Sabbath stuff. I was also astounded to find that this was record in 1988. It does not sound that way. It sounds like something recoded in 1979 - not production wise but in terms of the riffs. It basically skips "thrash" part of heavy metal's development and plants itself firmly in the OLD school. And does so wonderfully I might add. "Blood For Mercy" is a riff monster.

Plus the vocalist excels in mid-range stuff but can let loose and wail with the best of them. The mid-tempo and epic nature of most of the songs really help his deliver shine. All in all - an unsung gem. I am glad I could turn a fellow metalhead onto this band - they are criminally underrated.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:48 am 

Hey guys! I have very special request for you. In few weeks I travel with my friend few hours by a car to other country and I need some music which will suit for both of us.
He enjoys Metallica and old heavy metal/hard rock bands (Guns'n'Roses and etc). He said he hates Iron Maiden because he doesn't like high pitched vocals and too fast tempos.
I on the other hand love power metal (high pitched vocals, fast tempos, great melodies). Could you recommend me some power metal with mid tempo songs (can have few fast but not as fast as Dragonforce) and some baritonish vocals (not Michael Kiske, Tony Moore, Daniel Heiman, Michele Luppi ...).
maybe something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdVMZPNNAs0
Cheers :D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 625  Next