Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 am 

What are some of the bands that you can't decide whether you like them or not?

For me, it's Striborg.
Sometimes when I listen to Striborg, I think it's some of the most evocative, beautiful ambient black metal ever. But at other times I think Sin Nanna is just another horrible bedroom BM wannabe. I just can't make up my mind. I guess it depends on my mood.

Your opinions?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 am 

- Cross Examination: I keep trying but I just can't get my ears round those fucking vocals, even though I love the music. I pick up the CD every now and then with the hope that this time it will click, but I can't get past the instrumental first track, as soon as the vocals kick in that's it. Yesterday I forced myself to get through a few songs but I can never make it to the end.
Same could be said for Vio-lence.
- Burzum: Just getting into it and have 'Hvis lyset...' and 'Filosofem'. The thing is I really didn't want to like it because I think Varg is just a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but the music is perfect for certain moments.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:13 am 

H

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am 

Nebster173 wrote:
Forbidden.

Care to elaborate why? I'm really only familiar with their first album which as far as I'm concerned is worthy thrash.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am 

I

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 am 

Ahab - I generally like the kind of music they play. Almost everyone else seems to think they're great. What's the problem? I dunno. Sometimes I like them... but then sometimes they just bore me to death.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am 

I'll second Anthrax, I just feel that I should like them more than I do for some reason...

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 am 

I like some Primordial but I'm still not sure how much

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
I like some Primordial but I'm still not sure how much

Same. I really wanted to like this band. The music to me is just too slow and prodding. I think AA's vocal delivery is too staggered and just does not seem to flow well. I've definitely given them a chance. Maybe i'm listening to the wrong albums. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd also have to say Marduk. For whatever reason i have just not been able to get into these guys. Do enjoy a couple tracks like "Bloodtide XXX" and "Fist Fucking God's Planet", but that's kinda it.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:25 am 

Lagartija wrote:
I'll second Anthrax, I just feel that I should like them more than I do for some reason...

They've been around since 1981 and have had quite a varied career. I think it's natural that one should feel ambivalent about their entire output.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:53 am 

Personally, I don't really like any Anthrax stuff. That's not what this post is about though; it's not that I'm undecided - I don't like them.

To a certain extent Megadeth fits into this category for me. I feel instrumentally the music is interesting enough - I just can't get over Mustaine's godawful vocals, which are probably the worst in metal aside from Akerfeldt's pathetic clean vocals. This is coming from someone who enjoys Silencer and The Wizar'd vocally. I suppose the other gripe I have with the band is that the songwriting is occasionally a little too focused on exhibiting technical prowess, but they're certainly far from the worst in that regard.

I'm also going to add Acephalix. Death metal and crust punk are probably my two favourite genres, but something just doesn't click with Acephalix. Their music just goes in one ear and out the other for me, which is surprising considering how they're quite hyped within the style. It just seems that some up-and-coming bands like Saccage do the job much better.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 pm 

Slipknot for me. They have a good sound, good musicians(especially Joey Jordison, Jim Root and Mick Thompson) and the band is very tight and energetic live. The only, ONLY problem is that ALL their fucking songs suck so hard. I watch videos of Root and Thompson playing together, with no drums or backtrack to refer to except each other, and they're tight as fuck, good soloing and heavy riffing too. Only the riff in question that they're demoing absolutely SUCKS! Sigh.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 pm 

I've had this happen to me before, but usually after I devote a lot of time to the band in question I'll end up either loving it (Suicide Silence, Motörhead) or hating it (Defeated Sanity, Abiotic); bands don't tend to get stuck in that zone of ambivalence for me.

One band that has managed to just sit there for me for what must be like two years now is Evoken. Whenever I listen to them, it's like I'm bored but simultaneously intrigued. Their music keeps my attention without ever actually stimulating me. It's quite a frustrating listen.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm 

Children of Bodom. I sat through their "best" albums, and honestly, I just can't get into them. Don't get me wrong, I HATE the "new" COB, but I dont see how their old albums were critically acclaimed. They're decent enough, sure, but still.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm 

Every band with an awesome name, logo, artwork, album/song titles who then end up not delivering.

Most recently, Operation Winter Mist.

But also Ahab, Mastodon, etc..

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm 

Arghoslent. The riffs delivers, but I feel the guitar tone they use is way too thin and makes it a sound a little weak and prevents me from fully enjoying them

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:29 pm 

I have several. Senmuth I do like, but the huge discography is quite intimidating, as you have no idea where to start. I also like Before the Dawn, but I seem to be trying to rationalize getting it, more specifically how does it stand out from other melodeath bands. The singer I like, the riffs are good, everything fits but for some reason I'm still questioning whether or not I should get into their stuff.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:40 pm 

First band that comes to mind is probably Averse Sefira. Their complex and jagged riffs can definitely be extremely engaging, but at the same time I often find that my mind wanders away from the music and intense boredom starts to sit in after a few tracks--usually only to be snapped back to attention when something especially interesting comes back around in their sound.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
- Burzum: Just getting into it and have 'Hvis lyset...' and 'Filosofem'. The thing is I really didn't want to like it because I think Varg is just a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but the music is perfect for certain moments.

You shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying great music. Varg may be a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but absolutely none of that is reflected in his music. And he surely doesn't use Burzum as a medium to promote those ideas. Listen to music without cognitave bias!

As for Burzum's actual music, it took several long nights of being under the spell to fully understand and appreciate it. The vocals were my biggest gripe.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Personally, I don't really like any Anthrax stuff. That's not what this post is about though; it's not that I'm undecided - I don't like them.

To a certain extent Megadeth fits into this category for me. I feel instrumentally the music is interesting enough - I just can't get over Mustaine's godawful vocals, which are probably the worst in metal aside from Akerfeldt's pathetic clean vocals.

Wat. I'm pretty sure that's an objectively wrong statement...

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 am 

For me its motorhead and venom, at first they are fun, after second listen to one of there songs, I get bored and wont be able to listen to them again for about a year.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:22 am 

First one that comes to mind for me is The Meads of Asphodel. I'd definitely place them on the do like side of the equation, just how much is completely lost on me. They're a unique, weird band with ability to play good riffs and have good vocals, but a lot of the stuff they do just seems comedic to me.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
The vocals were my biggest gripe.

Gotta agree with you there. The easiest Burzum albums to get into are obviously his most recent ones, then Filosofem and the hardest ones are basically the ones before Filosofem. However just listening to the instrumental songs gets you really immersed and then you can kind of see past the vocals, eventually growing to appreciate both the originality and the desperation, sadness and anger his early songs emanate.

Adding another band to this thread. Forgotten Woods. Some songs are just packed with subtle Burzum worship while still not lacking in originality, while some songs are just too much. I sometimes feel like i might aswell be listening to Burzum, you know?

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:22 am 

On paper, Sigh sounds like the kind of band I would greatly enjoy. But for all the inventiveness, it's really all over the place and rarely succeeds at being consistently pleasing to me. Most songs have moments that I find cool, followed immediately by boring crap.

But I can recognize the worth in some of the experiments, so I remain on the fence.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 am 

Nebster173 wrote:
Forbidden.

Nebster173 wrote:
I don't know exactly why. They just don't click with me like other bands do. Their first two albums are considered classics but I can't get into them. I can't point out anything specific that I think they're doing wrong as I love many similar bands like Toxik, Floatsom and Jetsam, Testament... etc. I feel the same way about Anthrax for some reason.

I feel the same way about Forbidden. I get that Forbidden Evil is lauded as one of the classics from the 80s. The album has good decent-paced songs but I can't give this album a listen without getting fidgety. I'd twiddle my thumbs in anticipation of waiting for the songs to get over. Maybe it's the vocals. Or maybe I feel some songs may come off as repetitive. Or maybe it's the tone. I guess I can't really point a finger on the exact reason, so yeah they are a band I can't make up my mind about. On one hand, they get the praise and the music is classic thrash but on the other hand, I can't seem to appreciate the music.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:30 pm 

Confessor - the instrumental is REALLY nice, a Technical Doom monolith, but Scott Jeffreys' vocals really put me off sometimes. After some listening I get used to it, but when I come back to listen it all again, oh boy...
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

Grave

When the band plays faster they're slightly more tolerable than a lot of other shit Swedish bands, but it quickly gets boring and turns into background music after the second song due to that pussified guitar tone. But boy when they slow down and introduce heavier sections into their songs like Burial ground, they can be heavy and the simplicity of their music works for and against them. I still haven't decide whether they belong to the realm of shit like most other Swedish bands, or that something by them may be worth purchasing even though from the three albums I've heard 90% of the material was amauteurish slop.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 pm 

Veracs wrote:
the realm of shit like most other Swedish bands

Yeah, Sweden sucks except for Candlemass, Dissection, Desultory, Uncanny, Entombed, Unleashed, Amon Amarth, Dismember, In Flames, Edge of Sanity, Nocturnal Rites, Grave, In Solitude, Portrait, Necrophobic, Entrails, Arckanum, Demonical, and fucking Bathory :rolleyes:.

On topic, I was never huge into Megadeth. I am a huge Metallica fan, and I like Slayer and Anthrax well enough, but Megadeth never really impressed me. I like the band, but rarely ever feel compelled to think anything more about them than just "kind of liking them, I guess". I do like their first couple albums, and some later songs like "Symphony of Destruction", though.

Some other bands for me: Behemoth (okay band, too many blast beats for my taste), Cattle Decapitation (stupid lyrics, annoying message, etc.), Dying Fetus (decent riffs with awful production and hilarious vocals), and finally Aborted (the absolute worst vocalist in all of death metal...the music is probably okay but I just cannot get past their singer!).

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 pm 

Veracs wrote:
...they belong to the realm of shit like most other Swedish bands...

You, sir, either took too many drugs, or not enough.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
Veracs wrote:
the realm of shit like most other Swedish bands

Yeah, Sweden sucks except for Candlemass, Dissection,Amon Amarth, Nocturnal Rites, Grave, In Solitude, Portrait, Necrophobic, Arckanum, and fucking Bathory :rolleyes:.

I meant to say death metal, hah. But the bulk of the bands you mentioned apart from the aforementioned do happen to suck. Namely the death metal though, Swedish black metal doesn't suffer from the rampant mediocrity that the buzzsaw watered down thrash riffs bands of the early nineties do.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:29 pm 

While I like brutal death, I'm not sure what to make of slam. Some of it's okay (Disgorge, Inherit Disease, Vomit Remnants.) while others are less than favorable (Kraanium, Putridity, Torsofuck.)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:57 pm 

I hate to be on Veracs' side, but I'm with him on Swedeath being pretty poor in general. I think Grave are ok, and bands like Uncanny, Carbonized, Excruciate, Dismember, and Carnage are downright excellent, but by and large I find Swedeath to be the weakest of all OSDM schools, and most of its big name acts to be extremely overrated.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:05 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Swedish black metal doesn't suffer from the rampant mediocrity that the buzzsaw watered down thrash riffs bands of the early nineties do.

Their black metal sucks though, with all the inverted-christian norsecore turds

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:32 pm 

Riffs wrote:
On paper, Sigh sounds like the kind of band I would greatly enjoy. But for all the inventiveness, it's really all over the place and rarely succeeds at being consistently pleasing to me. Most songs have moments that I find cool, followed immediately by boring crap.

But I can recognize the worth in some of the experiments, so I remain on the fence.

Pretty much the same thing for me, I had a spell, years ago, where I listened to them a bunch. But really I just don't think they're all that good, although they are certainly interesting enough for me to go back to now and again. Imaginary Sonicscape is certainly a very good piece of metal.

Quote:
You shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying great music. Varg may be a big racist, attention-grabbing twat, but absolutely none of that is reflected in his music. And he surely doesn't use Burzum as a medium to promote those ideas. Listen to music without cognitave bias!

Nah, I don't agree. I pretty much refuse to ever listen to Burzum because of Varg and how he is - i.e. a piece of shit, who, if he had not made a few black metal albums everyone likes, would just be looked at with as much maligned hatred as the kinds of people who set off bombs in the US today. If you can listen to music without "cognitive bias," cool, but there are some things I just don't care for at all. Personally I think there is much music just as good that isn't made by bigoted lunatics, and so I'll content myself with that music instead.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 am 

Exigence wrote:
Every band with an awesome name, logo, artwork, album/song titles who then end up not delivering.

Most recently, Operation Winter Mist.

But also Ahab, Mastodon, etc..

Operation Winter Mist? I don't get what's not to like about them! The vocals maybe just average, but their guitar tone struck me as much thicker than a lot of black metal. And catchy too! "Death and Honour" is still pounding around in my head. Plus the respectful lyrics were a refreshing change from others who sing about history in obnoxiously racist ways.

To add to the list, i can't wrap my head around Arcturus much as I'd like to. Sometimes i think "hey, that's cool and inventive!" Other times i just roll my eyes and call it weird fir weird's sake.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 am 

Marag wrote:
Veracs wrote:
Swedish black metal doesn't suffer from the rampant mediocrity that the buzzsaw watered down thrash riffs bands of the early nineties do.

Their black metal sucks though, with all the inverted-christian norsecore turds

All but bathory

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:22 am 

Speaking of shit Swedish bands: Silencer.

I find myself loving their instrumentation the more I try to listen to them, but Nattramn's Varg-being-analized-with-a-pitchfork kind of whimper vocals irritate me to all extents.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:05 am 

We actually do have some decent black metal up here. Istapp, Watain, Rust (though a bit black thrashy), Marduk, Naglfar, Necrophobic, Nifelheim, Shining, Svartsyn, Vintersorg, Grift, Netherbird etc.
Sadly though, our beautiful country also produced Admonish, and Crimson Moonlight. two "unblack metal" bands...

On topic: Another band I have a hard time deciding on is Carcass. Heartwork is pretty good, as I am a big melodeath fan, but their grindcore albums don't really do it for me... If someone would be kind enough as to post a good Carcass grind-song to kind of get me in on it i would be very grateful.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 am 

Sorry for off-topic, but
Empyreal wrote:
Quote:

Nah, I don't agree. I pretty much refuse to ever listen to Burzum because of Varg and how he is - i.e. a piece of shit, who, if he had not made a few black metal albums everyone likes, would just be looked at with as much maligned hatred as the kinds of people who set off bombs in the US today. If you can listen to music without "cognitive bias," cool, but there are some things I just don't care for at all. Personally I think there is much music just as good that isn't made by bigoted lunatics, and so I'll content myself with that music instead.

Thank you for perfectly putting into words what I've always had in mind.

As for the topic, I can think of Cynic. I really enjoy many of their songs (haven't heard the last EP yet though and many people I know said it's great), and live they sounded really great, but Focus has such an incredibly lifeless production that I just can't enjoy it. Traced In Air is a cool album, but Focus feels like it could sound so great. I want a live album from them.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 am 

I've always been meh about Suffocation. I feel compelled to like them just because of their reputation alone but I just can't really get into them at all, Frank Mullens vocals do nothing for me really. The riffs while heavy are quite bland at times, I dunno just not for me but I'm not giving up on them yet.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next