Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 am 

Type O Negative - Everything Dies

A perfect song! I have heard this so many times but it has never lost an inch of its mirthless beauty. The crawling riff, Peter Steele's melancholic (and semi-darkly comedic) delivery that sounds like he is yawning by the graves and the sheer atmosphere of GREAT, GREAT gloom! I like how the song manages to be both minimal and exhaustive at the same time, Pete was quite adept at that with most of his material. The riffs are the main draw here though and they are fucking lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g79afsqWxo

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm 

My Dying Bride - Like A Perpetual Funeral

I have to give MDB credit--they never rest on their laurels. Instead, they continue to experiment with different ways of expressing a romanticized doom and gloom. This song is something of a failed experiment. This is MDB at their most minimalistic, conducting a mournful funeral march. A familiar, lulling riff is at the center of this dirge, which feels like a normal MDB song stripped of bells and whistles and played at half speed. It's a cool idea, but MDB's best element has always been its penchant for drama. You have very little of that here. So in the end the song just gets tedious, especially with a running time of 8 minutes. I like the idea, but this is just not a good song.

And now for something really different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSahQhuZ6nM

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

draterami
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 pm 

Ancient - I, Madman

If you look past the shitty keyboard, the main riff in this song would go well in a rock track. However, this is not a rock track. It seems to be a mid-paced black metal song, but the only things really showing this are the vocals. They come in two forms - competent rasping, and cheesy spoken vocals. The production is all over the place. Sometimes the bass is too loud, sometimes you can hear the kick drum. Most of the time, you can't. From time to time, the guitar is emphasized, but mostly, it hangs out in the background. The one thing that is unwavering is the annoying, pervasive and constant keyboard. When it got drowned out in the last 20 seconds by a cacophony of static, I was incredibly thankful. I really didn't enjoy this song. A couple of sections caught my attention, but mostly for the wrong reasons, and I found myself waiting for the end from about halfway through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96fu7GD-HKU

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:55 pm 

Soilwork-Let The First Wave Rise

I'm gonna be honest, I despise Soilwork. So I when I saw this, I was dreading listening to it, but it isn't THAAAAAAAAAT bad. It's a short, yet fast paced song that has a really nice outro solo. The clean vocals are mesmerizing, too bad he didn't use it to his full potential. The dirty screams and yowls are pretty bad and remind me of the metalcore band Byzantine(not a compliment). Is this supposed to be a melodic death metal band or a metalcore band? It's a simple, catchy song with great riffs and great clean vocals, but otherwise butchered by the "death" vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CRnXniUccs

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 am 

@Amerigo
Spoiler: show
You're kidding right? That is probably MDB's best song on the A Map Of All Our Failures album. Stripped down, yes. Tedious, hell fucking NO! I find it very moving and one of their most melancholic and I have devoured all their albums.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 am 

Excalion - Ivory Tower

Euro PM for all its annoyances is quite capable of moulding perfection and Finnish band Excalion who have consistently been delivering flawless melodic but heavy riffing music since 2005 is within the top tier. This particular song thrives upon a steady and sturdy rhythm that never ever lets up and ably holds the rest of the melodic craziness together. The vocals are incredible. They soar majestically and sound utterly cool and refined in a way Timo Kotipelto would appreciate. And Excalion isn't as overpoweringly melodic as most Finnish bands, they are actually quite heavy and always maintain a strong drum presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuyMKljD_A

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:56 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
@Amerigo
You're kidding right? That is probably MDB's best song on the A Map Of All Our Failures album. Stripped down, yes. Tedious, hell fucking NO! I find it very moving and one of their most melancholic and I have devoured all their albums.

Eh, I feel like if someone described the song to me, I'd expect to like it, but actually hearing it, it doesn't work for me. I'm much more partial to Hail Odysseus on that album

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am 

My Dying Bride: "Love's Inttlerable Pain

Hm, didn't we just the previous post have a song from these guys? Oh well, never mind, I feel like playing today and I haven't heard this tune before anyway...

So, count this as another band I've sort of lost touch with recently. They used to be a real favourite and I still enjoy their early albums a lot. This song coasts by on some heavy chugs that are not exactly doom riffs, yet the feel is, of course, very trudging and morose. The drumming is busier than bands of such a downtrodden bent would normally offer, though, and keeps things propelled forward with some interesting fills throughout. It takes a while for this song to get going, and it doesn't seem like much is happening for the first two minutes, with Aaron just sort of talking/mumbling his way through things in that "oh god I'm so miserable" voice of his. I like the dark riff/heavy drums that come in shortly after two minutes, but they're soon replaced by a clean guitar and some odd moaning vocals. Here is where the song starts to develop new ideas, and they are pretty good actually, as the pace picks up and the singing expands to offer some strong melody and even a couple of growls. This song lacks the sorrowful melody and the aggression of the band's best material, but the Eros-gloom still remains. Odd how the song is so carried by the singing, though, since much of it is so stationary. Still, the band continues to do wwhat it does without much frill or pomp beyond their usual romantic leanings, and I should credit them for that. I'm afraid it doesn't make me think any less of As the Flower Withers, though. The song lacks the crushign riffs found in their early material, and doesn't even have a weepy violin to channel the misery directly into my brain. What we're left with is a purely emotional narrative driven by the angst of aaron Stainthorpe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n697CvoLdOA

The song-title is incorrect.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 am 

Doom - Can't Break My... Without You

Well this sounds like a right mess. I am familiar with this Japanese band and believe me there's nothing "doom" about them. The music is a weird mix of things and in this song you have some serious commotion where a few thrash riffs can be made out amidst the chaotic tempo changes and numerous breaks. The vocals are just as screeching as the guitars but there is a defined center to the song that pulls everything in. On some levels it is ingenious, on another, I just rolled my eyes.

Approach with mild caution if you're weary of experimental types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOh32gZmTj0

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 am 

Manzer- Hell Zheimer

I love it when the second you see a demo's cover art, you can tell almost EXACTLY what it's going to sound like :P.

Fairly standard South American-esque Bestial Black Thrash, just like Sarcofago used to make. Though personally, I've always preferred my Bestial stuff more along the Blasphemy or Archgoat style than the South American sound, probably why Morbosidad are my favorite from that area. Decent overall, but honestly unimpressive in every way. Might I recommend Hades Archer? A modern band who do this particular sound in a far superior way.

6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEnt8ArId7U

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:10 am 

Monomakh: "Barbaros"

Barbarous indeed! I know nothing about this band at all. THis is violent, noisy, abrasive music, but I quite like it. At first I feared there would be an issue with monotony, but there are actually quite a few changes in tempo and even riffing styles to keep things interesting. It is certainly a loud and noisy production, and the drums are ratehr mechanical sounding (even though I think they are probably real) and purposefully poorly recorded, probably with nothing more than an overhead mic. There's some palm muted riffing going on to keep us attentive to teh dissonance, and it makes sure it doesn't all pass by in a blur. Contrast is employed, with short passages of sluggish, pounding chords that explode once again into frenetic blasting. There's even a long, noisy squealing solo that sounds like a million sharp shrapnel fragments flying off in all directions. The vocals are fitting cavernous grunts, and they are quite sparse, which suits this style (and my taste) quite well. Nice actually, even though I don't really listen to this sort of thing too often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDK5EkW6asI

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm 

Dub Buk - Rus Naivishe Nad Vse

Oh man, I like the whole concept behind this little ditty of Slav metal. What we've got here is some fast-paced thrash mixed with some melodic black metal interspersed with folk melodies. There are some really good riffs here, but it feels like the time these guys really shine is when they go full-blown folk or are channelling Thou Art Lord. I think their only real fault is in the song's structure--it just tends to go all over the place without any coherence or cogency. But it's really a minor quibble, because even as aimless as this wandering through ancient Slavic soundscapes is, it's just so fun.

Let's slow it down a bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4pvQRvEDI8

Victor_Of_The_Void
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

Upwards Of Endtime - The Gathering

Atmospheric heavy metal?!?
This is just perfect. The vocals are great, the instrumentation is somber and pondering without ever getting too cloying. I feel a bit of a Pagan Altar vibe from the song but in a more polished style. Whatever drones in the background adds more eerie to the already haunting proceedings. Overall, a well textured, well written tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMlMmJocwk

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 pm 

Frozenpath - The Legend of Winter

Going into this, I fear I won't be a fan because there's very little symphonic metal I like. The first thing I notice is that the production is a little thin - although this might just be Youtube quality, the guitars definitely seem to take too much of a backseat to the other instrumentation and the drums sound very tinny. As I progress through the song, it's starting to sound more and more like a poorly-produced version of mid-era Dimmu Borgir - the symphonic elements are very simplistic, and there's little in the way of hooks. The solo sections sound like recent Cradle of Filth. If symphonic black metal's going to be good, it has to sound pretty much like Emperor - this fails both to entertain while it's playing and to leave a lasting impression.

3/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZySq30x6DGI

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:40 pm 

Production could be better, although I like the heavy bassy sound. Nice riffs, with a good amount of groovyness (is that even a word?). Vocals are average. Otherwise, it is pretty nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-S5SR63tIE

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm 

Threnodist- Lamentation of the Dead

This is some heavy as hell, brutal OSDM with some wrecking-ball Incantation vocals to top it off. It starts off slow and sludgy, then it slowly increases in speed while still retaining the sludgy-ness and unrelenting brutality. The production reminds me of a tad of old-school Incantation as well as the guitars are downtuned to fuck all (actually probably like A or B♭ standard), the sludgy riffing can be pretty blistering while also somehow remaining slow at the same time. The drumming is good, but nothing remarkable.

8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_oOVr9UV-Y

EDIT: Dammit, hate it when that happens

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 pm 

I'll repost my song.

As for the black metal song you posted, it reminds me how much I find black metal annoying. No harsh feelings. I just can't get past the vocals. The instruments were fine, but the vocals made it crash and burn for me.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Hatekindler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
I'll repost my song.

As for the black metal song you posted, it reminds me how much I find black metal annoying. No harsh feelings. I just can't get past the vocals. The instruments were fine, but the vocals made it crash and burn for me.

40k? Seriously dude, 40k is the shittiest "strategy" game.

And you are not real obscure metal, I bet you like mallcore.

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, no.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

warhammer 40k - nurg-something

there were flashes of catchiness in this, but it's just stupidity tbh. way too far over the other side of the rocking/nerding divide for me. it's pretty throwaway - completely unmemorable riffs, bad drum machine, home-spun recording, etc etc. it's basically mortician for LARPers (if they weren't already listening to mortician, i dunno).

gorgoroth - satan-promethus

this pretentious kind of "red wine and latin" black metal shits me. that being said, there was a cool dissection-ish riff in here, and the overall production job of it sounds good. but i'll forget this song in an hour. the vocals could have been any one of about 30 singers from semi-popular BM bands, as could the riffs. i know gorgoroth are one of the bigger names in the genre, but this struck me as an awkward mash-up of emperor and marduk.

bit of a change of pace for my effort. the lyrics are a bit immature but i love the overall atmosphere, esp. given the lack of... everything, haha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTTfnO-9new

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

nobody liked my song

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm 

EDIT:
Acid Bath - Dead Girl
I have never really been fond of acoustic guitars (except in Nile and Karl Sanders), so this was a bit long winded for me. It was ok, I didn't really see anything horrible, but nothing stood out that much either. I think it would have been fine at 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbxmwy1y0JU

Crick wrote:

Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 pm 

Can you follow the rules, dude? Turner submitted a song, that's in fact his turn, just check the other pages to see what the users are doing here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 am 

Eldritch - Shadow Fire

Pretty good old-school thrasher. The guitar work is great, especially in the long solo/instrumental part. Very melodic, complements the main riffs but also grabs your attention. Riffs are Dragonforce-esque, minus the videogamey stuff. I liked the crusty drums in the beginning. Not a big fan of the vocalist. I don't think his tone adds anything to the music, and the melody sounded a little off to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJHppxH7o4

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 am 

Horna - Vala Pedolle

I've heard much about Horna, but this is my first proper exposure to them. Then again, I'm no expert when it comes to Finnish metal, so what can I say? Very lively intro riff, not messing about just straight into a fairly bouncy riff (by bm standards, at least). The vocals are very, very typical for the style, but they work well enough. After the lively first riff there's a bit of muddy trudge through some slower tempo stuff and then we're into blasting tempo. I certainly expected blasts and I'm pretty happy that they didn't jump straight into them. It appears to me that Horna's not the sort of band who are content to blast their merry way through an album and this means that I'm certainly tempted to check out a full-length.

It's not particularly surprising stuff, but it's certainly got its moments. I can dig this, but I'm left wanting something from them; I kinda want them to throw out some more of those less typical bm riffs like the one in the song's main refrain.

Maybe a bit more controversial than the earlier recordings but let's see what people make of this

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 am 

Good to see a new wave of posters joining the thread, but may I inspire you new guys to write slightly more substantial mini-reviews rather than one- or two-liners that say next to nothing about the song at hand (and a lot more about yourselves)? That'd be great, thanks in advance, boys and girls. ;)

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Right from the start, I'm hit hard by a fucking awesome harmony riff that's at the same time melodic, melancholic and epic, reminiscent of both pre-thrash USPM à la early Omen and PoM/Powerslave-era Maiden. And it goes uphill from there! The vocalist sounds like a Timo Kotipelto with a mild cold and far more restraint, but at the same time more palpable motivation and sincerity in his delivery. The song goes on to reveal itself as a prime slab of power/prog greatness with the initial melancholic melody developed and explored throughout the minor scale spectrum, to fantastic effect, interspersed with beautifully-done classic Maiden gallops all along. The production sounds somewhat "modern", so I'm guessing this can't be any earlier than the mid-90s, but it's not the fuck-your-ears-gimme-your-money kind of current trendy mix either, so that's quite okay. Besides the great soloing, there's also some sparingly-used Muse-like keyboard extravaganza, as well as some really strong albeit restrained male choirs near the end, both of which add to the grandiose feel of the song, and an awesome sense of pacing, particularly highlighted by the economical yet truly efficient drumming (I'll let one of you drummers confirm if you'd like, but I think the drums go at their own tempo near the end, creating a somewhat unsettling but ultimately cool effect before the song calmly fades away without ever ending). This impressed me throughout. What's the big controversy about, man? Oh my gawd, this is the early-00s Wardlord comeback album with HammerFall's vocalist?!! Fuck me sideways; I didn't expect it to be this good even for a second. Great find, thanks a bunch, ANA! :metal: :nods: (See, new guys? That's the beauty of doing this in blind mode, rather than posting your preconceived assumptions based on the title and cover art, you actually explore the song itself and review it as you go; this is far more fun for everyone involved, I'm just saying).

There you go.

@Abominatrix, re: Trust
Abominatrix wrote:
I've never listened to Trust...I take it anything but the first stuff is best avoided?

Well, to be fair and regardless of style or genre, the first four are all mostly okay (musically; most of Bernie's lyrics were made of preachy, demagogic and/or ridiculously naive far left-wing propaganda all along, in the grand tradition of French mainstream songs, especially ones identified as rock). However, only the first two ('L'Élite' & 'Répression') get any kind of semi-regular listens from yours truly, and then again it's mostly the few stellar tracks scattered across the far more conventional rockers (which goes to show how late France was to the rock party in general: just like the 60s and much of the 70s mainstream hits were dominated by poorly-made, often cringe-worthy cover versions of British and American pop/rock standards from generally 5-10 years prior, Trust was all the rage in the early 80s with a repertoire whose bulk would have failed to impress anyone had the French audience been properly educated in Rolling Stones and like-minded classic rock acts a decade prior; and don't even get me started on the embarrassingly bad AC/DC covers and painfully obvious ripoffs, like "Passe" off of 'Répression' which shits all over "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation", and not in a good way). Still, tracks such as "L'Élite", "Préfabriqués", "Bosser Huit Heures", "Les Sectes" and especially and obviously "Antisocial" are brilliant and infused with a mixture of AC/DC, Motörhead and early Van Halen influences that was genuinely interesting and relevant.

On the next two albums, they evolved into more of the same, minus the aforementioned highlights, and with a massive and rather sudden influence from the somewhat rival mega popular rock/hard French band Téléphone (who predates them and had a far more distinctive style and a more consistently good output), glam rock, AOR, later Van Halen, KISS, and just an overall sugar-coated, honey-filled inoffensiveness that clashed rather badly with the sustained "rich bastards are rich and we righteously poor people are poor, that's so unfair, boo hoo, let's start a revolution, comrades" spirit of the lyrics and vocal delivery of Bonvoisin. While 1981's 'Marche ou Crève' still goes along fine with the first two, with a few decent songs like the title track that feel like 'Répression'-era B-sides, the fourth album, 1983's 'Idéal' (aka self-titled aka 'Trust IV' - sic) is basically a Bon Jovi album with French, inexplicably aggressive vocals. Their fifth album, 1984's inaptly-named 'Rock 'n' Roll', is basically a weaker, less catchy 'Turbo', without its leftover metal influences. Still, there are a few truly great riffs and some great solos courtesy of Nono here and there even on these two, like the intro to "Les Notables", for instance, but they're all irremediably ruined within a dozen seconds. After that, they rightfully split and any subsequent comeback is better left alone, trust me (haha). In 1992, a live album originally recorded during the 'Répression' tour was released postmortem, though, and while not great, it's okay.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm 

@ Legend Maker

Thanks for all that historical summary. It is apprecaited, although after everything you've just written, they don't entirely seem like a band I should bother with. I'll sample some stuff online at least. This is the band McBrain was in, right?

Hobbs' Angel of Death: "Dream Killer"

Always figured I should listen to this band more. They've been called the Australian Slayer, which doesn't seem entirely fair. Although, there are indeed quite a few Slayer reminiscences in this tune, especially in the first couple of minutes. The vocals are possibly my favourite thing about this, being a gruff bark/snarl, with evil intent, similar (I guess it figures) to Araya back when he had some real menace to his delivery. Just after three minutes the pace picks up, and it feels like it's about time, with a lone guitar delivering some quick muted notes that say "Pay Attention! This is thrash!" This is probably my favourite part of the song, and the somewhat eerie solo helps with that. The limber pace is not carried for long though, and toward the latter half we have some slow, dark riffing. There's definitely a real atmosphere of danger to this, although the riffs themselves sort of lack that special something to make them stand out above the crowd. Unfortunately, the production has, let's say, some issues. It sounds like a demo quickly produced in a pro studio. The mix isn't quite right, vocals and instruments sounding very disconnected from one another and, not very live if you know what I mean. This is particularly an issue with the drumming, and that "baby snare" sound doesn't really help...it's practically screaming "it's the 90s!!" If there's one word I could use to sum up this tune though, it is probably "Solid".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIxHgrKs0w

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

@Abominatrix:
Yop, and Clive Burr after him: they played on the third and fourth albums, respectively (and neither really made a difference, aside from bringing their name). This along with AC/DC serving them opening slots at big venues on a plate early on in their career and of course Anthrax homaging the shit out of them during their brief spell of lack of inspiration in between 'Among the Living' and 'Persistence of Time', helped the band get some level of fame abroad; although to be fair, I don't think they've ever been anywhere near as successful as they were in France in the early 80s. They're still famous to this day, here, and one may still stumble upon the "Antisocial" video clip on late night TV or hear the song on rock-ish radio shows. They're very relevant to hard/heavy/rock/metal (pre-)history in France, and arguably influenced or at least inspired many bands from Vulcain to Gojira, but yeah, they never released a true masterpiece, just a handful of brilliant songs (and excellent guitarwork).

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:25 pm 

Necrodios - Delusions of the Serpentine Beast
Galloping death metal that sometimes breaks into slower sections. Has a rather wall of sound feel with the guitars (seems like a sort of blurry mess), although they seem a bit low in the mix. The bass is there. The vocals are sort of a monotone low growl and monotone high-ish growl that seems to hide behind the wall of guitars, which makes them not really clear. Average-ish in total, for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMrnEtebucY

Crick wrote:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:40 am 

Epiphany of R'lyeh - Cyaegha

So we have some brutal death metal here with the majority of the vocals actually coming in at a mid-range style, almost reminding me of later Summon. Unfortunately while it has some catchy moments I don't feel the song flows well and feels disjointed and suffers from what can only be described as brutal death metal attention deficit disorder; once this band hits on a very catchy riff they drop it immediately in favour of another not quite as remarkable riff. Also I am unbelievably tired of sweeping... in this song it seems forced and unnecessary and adds absolutely nothing to the song other than "look what I can do". Also everyone seems to jump on the Lovecraft bandwagon nowadays.. and yet other than the subject matter of the lyrics and artwork the music itself doesn't really make me feel dread or anything that Lovecraft's works evoke from their audience. Unfortunately even though I am a sucker for Lovecraft this does not entice me to seek out anything further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwcsSwhZPmY

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 am 

@LegendMaker and Abom

Fuckin' aces! Nice to finally see a Hobbs' track posted. You did beat me to it LM, I myself have been tossing a few of his tracks around in my head, as to which one to use haha :metal:

Also here to second LegendMaker's post about giving some more substantial reviews - it's more fun to read a little more though-out review, than just a couple of nondescript lines... but hey, this thread lives on! May it's glory be reveled in.

My collection

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:10 pm 

Grand Belial's Key- Shemhamforash

I like this chugging along intro sequence and the opening solo thats sounds pretty boss. the vocals are killing it a bit. Riffing is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ns7w5xHKI

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:13 pm 

I honestly thought my headphones were broken. I really dont even know what to say about it...sounds like it was made in a community college DAW class. Decent vocals though.

Idontevenknow/10

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=99ucxlTydWk

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

Thirding what has already been emphatically said. it's nice that this thread is still going strong, but you must write a little more than what's been given for the last couple of reviews (one line? Really? C'mon now). Also, there have been a few posts recently where the name of the song/artist reviewed have not been given. This isn't cool; we shouldn't have to click on links to see what's already been posted.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:29 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Thirding what has already been emphatically said. it's nice that this thread is still going strong, but you must write a little more than what's been given for the last couple of reviews (one line? Really? C'mon now). Also, there have been a few posts recently where the name of the song/artist reviewed have not been given. This isn't cool; we shouldn't have to click on links to see what's already been posted.

I'll start to give warnings if this is not understood. We're not youtube, we're a message forum. By substantial, we're asking for 4 or 5 lines, if you don't want to contribute, just don't.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 pm 

Ruin Lust: "Obedience"

The first few seconds of this were near impenetrable to me, but I soon got used to the sound, specifically, when the brief section with thrashy drumming came in. it's a heavy yet scratchy guitar tone, reminiscent of some of the new Swedish death metal bands, but this is something altogether more bestial. I like that clonking metallic snare sound a lot, although I suspect I'd be in the minority in appreciating its distinctly earthy flavour. the piece takes a while before introducing some dynamics, and the riffs themselves are nothing to get too excited about, but atmosphere this has got aplenty, and it is really brought home during the latter half, which is all slow, menacing chording. That drum sound really gets a chance to shine during the trudging latter half, too. The bass is most ugly and distorted, and seems to be playing at a faster tempo than the rest of the music during certain points, which creates an odd effect. This is certainly very heavy music, and reminds me of a couple of local bands which I enjoy on stage but whose albums I never listen to. I hope that song leads right into another track as once again the bassist seems to be doing his own thing while that last guitar chord is ringing out and then it just cuts off...strange. So, I probably wouldn't seek out this recording, but it was an all right listen, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOqS7TpeB4

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:43 pm 

savage grace - betrayer

looking at that album cover, i would've said this was some kind of modern pisstake on an old formula. but i guess not? musically it's basically a mix of NWOBHM, judas priest and early-ish power metal, but the vocals are ruining it. the album cover suggests they're from the US, but the vocals show a lot of NWOBHM influence. got that "bad singer says 'fuck it', wails anyway" thing going on. the vocal line just before the chorus makes it sound really dated - "his eyes shine so briiiightly" or something... right on the word "brightly" is just.... ugh. one thing it DOES have is a decent solo section - it's 100% priest, and i mean that as praise. it's a good length, and he's playing faster than he can hit each note, and i kinda miss that. you can't get away with that shit these days. overall though, i don't think i'd track this down. i don't know how popular they are, but they seem like the kind of band that would play keep it true, billed as "reforms for one gig, only playing songs from first album!"

i won't stray too far for my next effort:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QRTq1awNis

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:18 pm 

Eden- Pound It Out

Sounds like a slightly heavier version of Iron Maiden, though the vocalist isn't as charismatic as Bruce, still a good song nevertheless. It's been a really long time since I've listened to traditional, NWOBHM-style metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrfn_Y4uIQ

BastardHead wrote:

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm 

Weapon - Sardonyx

I'm going into this as someone who really should enjoy Weapon from descriptions I've read of them but have never given them a chance. This starts with a sort of middle Eastern introduction, something I'm hoping isn't a theme throughout the song. I'm not a fan of that sort of scale and that's what put me off Melechesh and their ilk. Fortunately, the main part's started now and this is PUNISHING. Blasting fills my headphones alongside one of those speedy riffs which is truly catchy. The production's got just about the right amount of meat to it and the song doesn't jump about a million different riffs so as to be forgettable, a common flaw among bands of this style. If there's a weakness, it's that the vocals feel a little weak and are certainly generic. There's a short interlude in the middle Eastern scale again, but this time it feels welcome to my ears. It truly fits in. The blasting doesn't last forever, and gives way to a catchy, more mid-paced riff. The soloing over it also seems decent but I have no ear for solos so I can't really comment on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKRY0wC8CEo

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm 

Future Tense- Condemned To the Gallows

The main riff is pretty damn eeire and wouldn't sound out of place on a doom-y black metal song. The vocals are nice and the production is, once again, somewhat reminiscent of a less traditional style of black metal. Also it repeats this riff over again in the song, which is a plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqeMI4cx5J0

BastardHead wrote:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:06 am 

Abigor - I Face The Eternal Winter

Yet another band who I've heard the name thrown around a lot but never got around to checking out. This is pretty solid black metal, undercurrents of melody channeled through hateful tremolo. The raw production really works with the melody and more structured songwriting. The part with the bells is really cool. My only complaint is I wish the bass was higher in the mix as while the guitar tone is pretty hefty, the mix as a whole could have felt deeper and more full. Regardless, cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLm9WFvkQk

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 72  Next