Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:30 pm 

Epic, crushing, "ancient war" sounding death metal/metalcore/deathcore whatever genre that has that heavy, epic, and throttling sound.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 pm 

To be honest, there aren't too many that I've heard that sound exactly like Heaven Shall Burn - though that's a good thing, it means they are original and unique. I would be intrigued to hear bands that are similar to them nevertheless. You'll have better luck looking for bands that come from Germany.

Caliban would be one band you could look into. They are more breakdown heavy, and their later material is generic metalcore. Shadow Hearts is their heaviest material.

Neaera has been described as being similar, I haven't heard too much from them though.

Last One Dying's album "The Hour of Lead" sort of has an epic style to it.

Bolt Thrower is one of the biggest influences on Heaven Shall Burn, though they are obviously not metalcore. There is definitely no harm in listening to Bolt Thrower!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm 

Even though I already know all the bands you listed thanks anyway for replying, oh and believe me I enjoy me some Bolt Thrower :)

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm 

check out Cataract from Switzerland, crushing thrashy metallic hardcore. They are very much influenced by Bolt Thrower and Slayer btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYk1cPyG4qw

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:57 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
To be honest, there aren't too many that I've heard that sound exactly like Heaven Shall Burn - though that's a good thing, it means they are original and unique. I would be intrigued to hear bands that are similar to them nevertheless. You'll have better luck looking for bands that come from Germany.

Caliban would be one band you could look into. They are more breakdown heavy, and their later material is generic metalcore. Shadow Hearts is their heaviest material.

Neaera has been described as being similar, I haven't heard too much from them though.

Last One Dying's album "The Hour of Lead" sort of has an epic style to it.

Bolt Thrower is one of the biggest influences on Heaven Shall Burn, though they are obviously not metalcore. There is definitely no harm in listening to Bolt Thrower!

I second this one, despite the shitty vocals

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:56 am 

I'd second Neaera, especially their earlier material. Rising Tide of Oblivion has some of those Epic modern melodeath riffs laden in pretty thick and the lyric content is pretty deep and meaningful, stuff like Rwandan genocide, post war anxiety attacks etc.

Reply to topic