Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 pm 

Did a moderator listen to the other National Disasters album I provided here?

tuska
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 am 

Just wondering how to get around this situation: I have a sideproject which has one demo out. I have no picture of the demo. I have no link to any label or distro selling the demo since I've been selling it hand to hand. I have no camera or scanner. Will it really take a photo to convince the moderators that this demo does indeed exist and that this is indeed a legitimate and active sideproject? And if so, how long does the rejected submission stay before I have to make a new submission from scratch?

It feels like its getting harder and harder to get a sideproject or band onto the site.

"A band needs a valid release before they can be accepted to the site - a valid release is one that's either:
• Distributed in physical form (CD, CDr, DVD, tape, vinyl, etc) (check)
• Digital and available for full download: must also be a finished/final mix (no garage rehearsals or rough mixes), AND long enough (preferably over 20 minutes) (full download available, not a rehearsal demo or rough mix, not 20 minutes but its only a demo after all)
• Already released. That is, no upcoming releases! (check)

To prove this, you must include one of the following:
• PHYSICAL RELEASES: Include photographic evidence (such as this or this) and upload them to a site like Imgur.com. Optionally, if you don't have access to any of the copies, you can include links to sites like BigCartel or a label's page that's selling them, or officially announced them as available for ordering. (as I stated, no photo available, might be able to change that this month, no links to labels or distros because I sell the demo hand to hand)
• DIGITAL-ONLY RELEASES: Include links to sites like Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, etc, to where the release can be purchased or downloaded." (its not a digital-only release even though I've put it up for free as well)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 am 

Okay, so... since it's just a demo, I sorely doubt it'd qualify as a valid digital release. So, that being said, your best bet is to convince us that the release has indeed been circulating physically.

Quote:
Will it really take a photo to convince the moderators that this demo does indeed exist and that this is indeed a legitimate and active sideproject?

Uhm, yes.

Quote:
And if so, how long does the rejected submission stay before I have to make a new submission from scratch?

There's no time limit.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:32 am 

tuska wrote:
Just wondering how to get around this situation: I have a sideproject which has one demo out. I have no picture of the demo. I have no link to any label or distro selling the demo since I've been selling it hand to hand. I have no camera or scanner. Will it really take a photo to convince the moderators that this demo does indeed exist and that this is indeed a legitimate and active sideproject? And if so, how long does the rejected submission stay before I have to make a new submission from scratch?

Yes, you need evidence of a valid release. If there's no label or distro that sells it, it's generally good to provide a photo of a significant number of copies of the demo to substantiate that it is a valid release, not a couple of CD-Rs that were handed out.

tuska
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:44 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Okay, so... since it's just a demo, I sorely doubt it'd qualify as a valid digital release. So, that being said, your best bet is to convince us that the release has indeed been circulating physically.
With the small quatities I've handed out and sold, thats probably not going to be happening, so it looks like I'll have to lend a camera from someone.

Alhadis wrote:
Quote:
Will it really take a photo to convince the moderators that this demo does indeed exist and that this is indeed a legitimate and active sideproject?
Uhm, yes.
Well shit.

Alhadis wrote:
Quote:
And if so, how long does the rejected submission stay before I have to make a new submission from scratch?
There's no time limit.
Thats good to hear.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Ixtaukayotl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:29 am 

I tryied to add a band called Omácatl, but due to the first recordings of the band, this was blacklisted due to the poor sound of the demos, but now they're more clean and with better production... can somebody remove from the black list?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Om%C3%A1 ... 1538366258

FB

http://thesiteofandroid29a.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp

The album gonna was released by Atlatl music group, and gonna be re-released by Chivo Negro Productions.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:36 pm 

Why is Decontrolled (Serbia) blacklisted? http://www.myspace.com/decontrolledband http://www.serbian-metal.org/smp-music/ ... ircle.html

GrindZero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:37 pm 

Hello,
the band I have submitted it hasn't been approved because of "digital only 3 songs promo": actually it's not a "digital only". The promo has been printed in 1000 copies with artwork and printed cd and so on..

Will it matter if I send someone the pics of the cd itself?

Thank you.

Alex

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:43 pm 

RazorDick wrote:
Did a moderator listen to the other National Disasters album I provided here?

I've downloaded it, but haven't listened yet.

GrindZero wrote:
Hello,
the band I have submitted it hasn't been approved because of "digital only 3 songs promo": actually it's not a "digital only". The promo has been printed in 1000 copies with artwork and printed cd and so on..

Will it matter if I send someone the pics of the cd itself?

Yes, and it's quite clearly mentioned during the band submission process. Physical releases don't have as strict requirements as digital releases. Link the pics in the submission notes. That is, do the following and resubmit:
Quote:
PHYSICAL RELEASES: Include photographic evidence (such as this or this) and upload them to a site like Imgur.com. Optionally, if you don't have access to any of the copies, you can include links to sites like BigCartel or a label's page that's selling them, or officially announced them as available for ordering.

tuska
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:53 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Quote:
There's no time limit.
Seems like this is not true since the project has disappeared from my "Submitted bands"-list. So, my next question is: Will this have an effect on my profile? Or in other words, will I now get permanent mark or something only because I didn't have a photo for the rejected project's demo?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

Deleted/rejected bands are purged completely after a time. Drafts (i.e. unsubmitted drafts or rejected bands returned to draft status by the user) are not, to my knowledge.

What's the name of the band? Nevermind, got it.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 pm 

tuska wrote:
Seems like this is not true since the project has disappeared from my "Submitted bands"-list. So, my next question is: Will this have an effect on my profile? Or in other words, will I now get permanent mark or something only because I didn't have a photo for the rejected project's demo?

Isn't it in your My bands though?

And what kind of permanent mark? If you mean something negative that can come back to bite you in the future - no, doesn't seem like you've done anything that would warrant that. Having a submission rejected isn't an offense, unless you tried to submit something completely ridiculous or kept trying to submit it regardless of moderator input, or something silly like that.

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 pm 

http://www.mediafire.com/?52jnrd61fa4vimn
Here is the split I initially submitted Natioinal Disasters with, Azmodes already listened to it, said he wasn't convinced by it.
Just posting it if you want to listen to it also.

tuska
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:23 pm 

RonimuZ wrote:
Isn't it in your My bands though?
You're right. I was actually looking in the wrong place. My bad.

RonimuZ wrote:
And what kind of permanent mark? If you mean something negative that can come back to bite you in the future - no, doesn't seem like you've done anything that would warrant that. Having a submission rejected isn't an offense, unless you tried to submit something completely ridiculous or kept trying to submit it regardless of moderator input, or something silly like that.
Yes, I meant something that could come back and bite. Thanks for the clarification.

Azmodes wrote:
Deleted/rejected bands are purged completely after a time. Drafts (i.e. unsubmitted drafts or rejected bands returned to draft status by the user) are not, to my knowledge.
Then I'll just go back to draft and wait until I get a photo.

Thanks for the answers. Nice to see such fast replies.

Marian256
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:27 pm 

Hello, please help me what to do, how to make you approve some bands, like Verify (I have their CD and is Hardcore Black Metal), Intrigue (I have their CD's and they are true Heavy Metal) and Morfina fromo Kosovo/Albania (I have their songs)... I listened and know all these bands, and they are present on sites like Myspace and Youtube... And then I know very well Caradhras and Angelo Della Morte (Can I send you through E-mail their songs) to hear them? They are not still present in Myspace or youtube, only on Discogs (that I trust very well) just like Metallum...

Thanks, let me know, is extremly important

Tell me for your E-mail address

Marian

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm 

The first three are on the blacklist for being no metal - you should have gotten an email telling you exactly that. So if these band's haven't changed their genre in the meantime they won't be approved.
The other two: If you think they are metal submit them.

syd133
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 am 

A band called " Alien Sky Cult" ( India ) has been banned from adding to the archives.
I dont understand why. This is my first submission. The band was already banned.

Also since i read the Submission rules: Influences : Melodic Metal, Groove metal
This band has no clean vocals( typical of metalcore). No typical metalcore progressions.
It is heavy then your average metalcore.

Here is a Song called The Dark Field.

Please do reply
Thanks

Syd

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 am 

Yeah, that's somewhat heavier than your average metalcore band, but it's still heavily rooted in hardcore. Sorry.

And the vocal style means nothing.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am 

aloof wrote:

"Doctor, I think everyone's ignoring me..."
"Next!"

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 am 

There are no notes attached. I take it they don't play the most traditional form of metal?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 am 

there are some electronic elements, but not ott. several tracks on myspace, and the album's a free download from the 2nd link above...

todesengel_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm 

Why has the Polish Black Metal/Ambient band Cthulhu Rites been blacklisted? They were formerly known as Cthulhu Rises (already listed on MA) but changed name and have now released a physical EP through Witches Sabbath Records (link below). I have also included links to 2 tracks from the EP on Youtube for proof of metalness.

EP on Witches Sabbath website:
http://witches-sabbath-records.com/cthu ... gipak.html

EP tracks on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupoZ7GF3Pc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EhP7sYzsIc

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:35 pm 

It's blacklisted since December for being more ambient than black metal. Can you provide the whole release so the band is checked again?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

todesengel_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:02 pm 

Sadly, no. If I do come across the rest of the tracks, I'll try again. Thanks for your prompt response.

DreadlockMocio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:31 pm 

Hi, was Lohikarma from Pakistan blacklisted because considered not metal?

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qeh9Tgg6VA
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfr3dl-cfs

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm 

Yes. That's not metal at all.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zaku77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 pm 

I apologize if this should not go here (I'm new to contributing) but why is Gru (Pol) blacklisted? I noticed that Animals As Leaders is also not on the site. I love this site as it is, but I also really want it to stay relevant. These bands are undoubtedly progressive, but there is also a strong metal backbone in there. Should bands of this ilk really be completely ignored? If there is room for the proto metal / classic rock bands that are on this site, there is certainly just as much room for things like this. That's just my two cents, and, once again, apologies if this is the wrong spot for this.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 am 

Zaku77 wrote:
I noticed that Animals As Leaders is also not on the site.
I love this site as it is, but I also really want it to stay relevant.

Sorry, but you just contradicted yourself there. :p Djent has far more in common with hardcore in terms of song structure than it does with metal, even if the appeal of the music might extend into the metal community.

~Guest 277641
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 am 

Hi. I've seen your reply to the person who disagreed about blacklisting Apocynthion, and I wanted to support him:

http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/redux

From 1:46, two types of riffing: a metal one and a post-rock/shoegaze one. Sounds very similar to Dopamine or Alcest.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 am 

KrongoggWarsong wrote:
Hi. I've seen your reply to the person who disagreed about blacklisting Apocynthion, and I wanted to support him:

http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/redux

From 1:46, two types of riffing: a metal one and a post-rock/shoegaze one. Sounds very similar to Dopamine or Alcest.

I've already checked the entire album on Bandcamp after I got an email from yet another user asking me to reconsider them. The verdict remains the same. There's metal parts in some songs, but not nearly predominant.

~Guest 277641
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am 

http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/redshift
From 2:09 to 6:15, metal riffing. Post-rock interlude from 6:15 to 7:51, and it ends with metal.
http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/n ... day-part-i
http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/n ... ay-part-ii
This two songs have metal with long post-rock interludes (~3 min).
http://apocynthion.bandcamp.com/track/mdscc
This one is constant metal with a small post-rock interlude.

I'm being weary because I consider this unfair. This band is blackgaze...

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am 

KrongoggWarsong wrote:
This band is blackgaze...

And "blackgaze" is not a metal genre, no matter how hard you make it out to be, mate. Post-rock with cherry-picked black metal elements STILL falls under the radius of post-rock...

~Guest 277641
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:56 am 

I'm not saying "blackgaze" is a metal genre per se, I said it to simplify.

Cherry-picked black metal elements? LOL. Maybe you think early Soulfly was a pop band?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 am 

There are answers by three moderators available to you now. That should be more than enough. We're not comparing bands to gauge their metalness, least of all blackgaze bands to Lamb of God/Soulfly (though not sure what exactly you mean by that last sentence). Please respect our decision.

~Guest 277641
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 am 

It was an exaggerated example to caricature the criteria Alhadis has to decide if this band is or not metal, not a comparison. I mean, I've linked tracks to Apocynthion's LP, I've described the songs, everyone can see this is metal, and he still says this is "post-rock with cherry-picked black metal elements".

I just wanted to clarify it; I don't know if you've fully read my antepenultimate message, but if you did it, I totally respect moderators' decision.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:26 am 

Krongogg, the black metal elements ARE cherry-picked. "Blackgaze" bands are typically post-rock bands with varying degrees of BM influence, many of which are secondary to the song structures. In the case of the songs you've linked us to, they sound like post-rock with some black metal sections tacked on. The overall vibe of the music strikes me - and the other mods, as a post-rock act. Now, trying to differentiate between borderline genres is ALWAYS a headache, and it always ends in tears for disagreeing users.

Look, I get that this is your project and you probably feel somewhat offended at having it lumped under the "not metal" category. That tends to happen. But really, a couple borderline metal songs alongside songs with long, drawn-out post-rock interludes? Sorry, but you might've noticed Les Discrets and Tombs aren't here for similar reasons: the metallic elements are there, but they're stemming from the wrong direction. The direction of their non-metal material.

~Guest 277641
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 am 

Ok, if all the moderators agree, I respect your decision.

I'm not in this project, I simply love this band.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am 

aloof wrote:

so, anyone had a listen to see if perhaps they're worthy of getting off the blacklist?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

Sounds like watered-down melogroove in places. Meh, some riffing, but I'd say no. More modern rock/popcore than metal. Awful too.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 pm 

lol. ok. thanks for listening :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 541  Next