cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:46 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Sonic Reign - Monument in Black
http://youtu.be/eoaF5sPm1AI
Lychgate - s/t
http://youtu.be/wG6gJBXECIA

The best black metal albums so far. Lychgate were previously called Archaicus and their line-up is fucking strong.

You should have mentioned Lychgate has Aran from Lunar Aurora and Chandler from Esoteric and I would have jumped on that immediately! Holy shitballs is that good!!!

Also digging the Sonic Reign material too, almost reminds me of a waaay better version of newer Satyricon.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
You should have mentioned Lychgate has Aran from Lunar Aurora and Chandler from Esoteric and I would have jumped on that immediately! Holy shitballs is that good!!!

Seconded, holy shitballs indeed! I can't believe I haven't heard about this band until now. Greg Chandler's vocals are something else.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:24 pm 

I've never actually thought much of anything non-esoteric Chandler has done, but I'll be sure to check it out due to my fanboy madness.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 am 

Fans of Cult of Luna/Neurosis/Breach (for obvious reasons) and the likes, should check this out.
The Old Wind - Feast On Your Gone

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am 

Guy who pasted Abyssion. Thanks, great stuff.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
Guy who pasted Abyssion. Thanks, great stuff.

:thumbsup:

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:09 pm 

Deep Purple's Now What?! I'd be surprised if anyone who's been following the band since Steve Morse joined found the record to be disappointing. Personally, I think it's better than the previous Rapture Of The Deep (which I thought was excellent anyway). Sounds like Deep Purple alright.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am 

My favorites so far this year...

Koldbrann - Vertigo
http://youtu.be/1y8ESHXZXZg

October Falls - The Plague of a Coming Age
http://youtu.be/uZM9uXnLSiY

Essence - Last Night of Solace
http://youtu.be/viUBZN_JPB0

Procession - To Reap Heavens Apart
http://youtu.be/5MNgQsYNeAw

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:30 am 

Bölzer - Aura
http://youtu.be/4ZBaEtnxjYw

Black/Death metal, guy from Witchrist in the line-up. This particular song is pretty massive!

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 am 

yo you guys should check out Monotheist, this progressive death metal band whose EP is streaming on their bandcamp do it you'll be a happier person afterwards
http://monotheist.bandcamp.com/

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
Sonic Reign - Monument in Black
http://youtu.be/eoaF5sPm1AI
Lychgate - s/t
http://youtu.be/wG6gJBXECIA

The best black metal albums so far. Lychgate were previously called Archaicus and their line-up is fucking strong.

Awesome shits man, thanks.

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:39 am 

Man, this is a great thread. Found loads of stuff that I'm gonna have to look into when I get home today. In particular Guttural Secrete. Also someone said Arcturus is coming out with a new album and my mind absolutely exploded.

My favorite things released so far in 2013:
Wormed - Exodromos
^Duh. It's freaking Wormed.

Inter Arma - Sky Burial
^this album actually really surprised me. I had never heard the band before, then listened to the album in one sitting and was totally blown away. It has a huge range of things happening depending on the song. That is to say, it's impossible to hear one song and know what this band sounds like. I would say it combines Black metal with Neurosis, and the last track almost sounds Mastodon-esque in terms of riffage. Really creative drumming as well.

Save Us From The Archon - Some Things We Carry, Always EP
^I'm not really sure how this group would be received here. They aren't listed in the archives at least. But I'm a huge fanboy for this band and I definitely consider them metal. For fans of the most technical of technical... so technical in fact that I don't even know how to genretize the band aside from melodic. Oh and they're instrumental btw. I like their first album better, but I love this band so much that they automatically make the list.

Light Bearer - Silver Tongue
^atmospheric sludge with an element of hardcore. On this album I often have to scroll around for second because I can't decide which song I want to listen to. Because they're all really good. And really long.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 am 

Funeral Circle's self titled debut album is fairing quite well so far. No frills epic doom and it's an album to watch out for this year!

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:01 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Funeral Circle's self titled debut album is fairing quite well so far. No frills epic doom and it's an album to watch out for this year!

Thanks for the mention. I'll need to buy it urgently.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm 

Holy shit, there's a new Battle Beast album coming out? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFGOTTA GET IT

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:06 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Holy shit, there's a new Battle Beast album coming out? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFGOTTA GET IT

First impression: The new vocalist is awful and the opening lines of the album are lifted straight from a Gamma Ray or Helloween song that I can't put my finger on.

Final verdict after listening through it twice: It's awesome. Pretty much the best pop metal album I've heard in a long time. The new girl really doesn't sound all that different from the Messiah Marcolin lookalike, so I'm not sure what I was on about, and there are tons and tons of cool, memorable parts, and "Black Ninja" has got to be the coolest slice of cheese written this decade. It's pretty much a blueprint on how to be completely unoriginal but still be totally awesome.

SHEESABLOK NIN-JAaAaAaAaAaA
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:13 pm 

The first song was pretty substandard, but I'm on track three right now and this is ruling pretty hard. I don't know if it's better than Steel yet, since about half of that album was the best retro-metal in years, but this is about as good as the last Herman Frank - i.e. great if you don't take into account the debut. I can dig it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The first song was pretty substandard, but I'm on track three right now and this is ruling pretty hard. I don't know if it's better than Steel yet, since about half of that album was the best retro-metal in years, but this is about as good as the last Herman Frank - i.e. great if you don't take into account the debut. I can dig it.

Yeah that first track is really underwhelming, but after that it just picks up steam and gets better and better. Totally pop oriented heavy metal, but I loved it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 pm 

I dunno, this isn't really as good as the first one, though. I think it'd be better if it didn't have 13 fucking songs. And a few of the choruses don't seem all that amazing. But maybe it'll grow on me.

edit: Okay, "Black Ninja" is cool. That's what I want from these guys and gal! The killer riffing blended with the weird poppy synths and epic melodies!

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:46 pm 

summoning's new album is the album of 2013

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 am 

Well, after streaming it from the Dark Descent bandcamp a few times, I think its safe to say we can add Lantern - Below to the list. REALLY digging this. Possibly the most refreshing, unique incarnation of old school death metal I've heard yet. And that artwork to boot? This album is pure win.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 am 

The new uncle acid album is fuckin awesome.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Well, after streaming it from the Dark Descent bandcamp a few times, I think its safe to say we can add Lantern - Below to the list. REALLY digging this. Possibly the most refreshing, unique incarnation of old school death metal I've heard yet. And that artwork to boot? This album is pure win.

Thanks for the reminder! I wrote down somewhere to check out the new Lantern when it came out ages ago, but forgot about it till now.

controlledbleeding wrote:
summoning's new album is the album of 2013

Possibly. I can't wait to hear an actual, QUALITY version of it (the sound quality of the rip sucks), though even with the crappy quality it's gotten a crapload of spins from me.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 am 

I'm really enjoying Enshine's debut album, Origin. This band is a project of Jari Lindholm (Seas of Years, ex-Slumber/Atoma) with Sebastien Pierre (Fractal Gates, Inborn Suffering, Cold Insight) on vocals, and it sounds a lot like Jari's previous bands, particularly Slumber. And that's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7HnTAsKtI

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 am 

Is '13' from Black Sabbath also mentioned? :-P

"You make it easy."

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am 

Got the new VICIOUS RUMORS, "Electric Punishment" yesterday.
Really solid! Even much better than their last which was quite killer too.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm 

baron samedi wrote:
Inter Arma - Sky Burial
^this album actually really surprised me. I had never heard the band before, then listened to the album in one sitting and was totally blown away. It has a huge range of things happening depending on the song. That is to say, it's impossible to hear one song and know what this band sounds like. I would say it combines Black metal with Neurosis, and the last track almost sounds Mastodon-esque in terms of riffage. Really creative drumming as well.

You should definitely check out their first album, Sundown. One of the best albums released in 2010. I like it better than Sky Burial personally, though it's a largely different sound. Way less Neurosis-ing and way more black metal-ing.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm 

Abomnium - Coffinships
http://youtu.be/yZ0GYTOCDto

Enjoyable one man blackened death metal...

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 am 

Infinitum Obscure - The Luminous Black

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 am 

QueenElizawreck wrote:
Got the new VICIOUS RUMORS, "Electric Punishment" yesterday.
Really solid! Even much better than their last which was quite killer too.

BETTER than Razorback Killers? Granted, my expectations were already high to meet or at least come close to meeting that album as the standard but this is quite encouraging.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm 

Well, the new Imprecation is killer. :headbang:

Way more death metal than anything on Theurgia Goetia Summa but till very good. It manages to have a great sense of identity and a heavy ritualistic and morbid atmosphere, while avoiding the usual trappings of the "cavernous" sound of the OSDM resurgence. I think we have a strong candidate for death metal's AOTY! :nods:

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:15 pm 

October Tide
http://youtu.be/5JYeYgtF7J8

Sort of a melodic doomy thing with harsh vocals...

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Bölzer - Aura
http://youtu.be/4ZBaEtnxjYw

Black/Death metal, guy from Witchrist in the line-up. This particular song is pretty massive!

First time I am hearing of this. but I'm liking this. Don't usually hear such a massive sound out of these kinds of bands and it has that driving energy that I love in black metal.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 pm 

Just in the next month....UDO, Civil War, Sabbath, Megadeth and Amon Amarth. Then after summer I'm sure new Motörhead, Trouble and Hail of Bullets will be upon us.

Just got the new Airbourne too!

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 am 

androdion wrote:

Way more death metal than anything on Theurgia Goetia Summa but till very good. It manages to have a great sense of identity and a heavy ritualistic and morbid atmosphere, while avoiding the usual trappings of the "cavernous" sound of the OSDM resurgence. I think we have a strong candidate for death metal's AOTY! :nods:

:love: I can't wait to check this out, been looking forward to hearing the new album for a while!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
androdion wrote:

:love: I can't wait to check this out, been looking forward to hearing the new album for a while!

it's streaming at dark descent's bandcamp

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 am 

Immolation's new disc might be their best since Unholy Cult. I haven't been this excited about a new Immolation release for a long time, if ever.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 am 

New Zombiefication is pretty fucking good death metal. Reminds me of Swedish death metal, albiet a more sinister and dark version of it.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:07 am 

The new Thou Art Lord destroys! The ultimate underrated Greek BM sound meets Sweden, so fucking good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Mnimkf ... e=youtu.be

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:43 am 

Thanks to Henkkjelle in the Band sanctioned d/ls thread for posting Sedulity's The Valley of Dying Stars. What a great album! It's kinda like Death mixed with Artillery and Warbringer's vocalist. It's not as good as a Death/Artillery mix could be, but that would pretty much be the pinnacle of music as far as I'm concerned, so not a bad effort.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next