Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm 

This is going to be very subjective, but that is what makes it fun! What bands are considered universally the worst of the worst on the archives? Everything about it has to suck. I can't really have an opinion since I haven't heard every band on here, but the worst that I can remember was Keydragon. The off-key singing was awful, and everything about the band was totally generic and worthless. Not to mention the horrifying cover art. So, what do you guys think the worst band is?

EDIT: NOISM deserves to be here. Who listens to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxXHaxf1k8

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm 

I'm sure the biggest answer here is going to be Waking the Cadaver, so I'll be the first to say that no, Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler is a big, fun, catchy album and it is in fact you who suck.

That being said, here are a few that have struck me as notoriously awful:

Animae Capronii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VzTd_OwAB8
Devast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncYC6TBR3ck
Ostie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oSzgAcgjuE
Satanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUKGpMJxu2s

All of them are bedroom black metal, coincidentally! (EDIT: Devast aren't, whoops.) Someone Walking on My Grave are another awful band but I can't find their music online.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm 

I don't know, if you hate a bedroom black-metal band isn't that kind of the point in that they don't make it to be enjoyed? 'shrugs'. For me however the worst has to be Dragonforce.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
I don't know, if you hate a bedroom black-metal band isn't that kind of the point in that they don't make it to be enjoyed? 'shrugs'.

Well, regardless of whether it was recorded/mixed in one's own home or not, I doubt most of those musicians were seriously intending to create shitty music. I've had contact with Animae Capronii personally because the band requested reviews from me and the guy behind it all seems 100% serious about his music to me. And I have a friend who's had contact with Ostie, and claims that they're serious as well.

Just because a band didn't go to a professional studio to record their music doesn't mean that they tried to make it awful, or that they don't necessarily want it to be well-received by whoever happens to hear it.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

Haha, I actually like these guys too. :P I even own a CD copy of ±. It's not really objectively "good" but it's interesting to listen to every now and then. Certainly not the worst band ever, by any means.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 pm 

I don't get why you dislike Devast esp since you didn't bother offering any real feedback on why you hate them even with the mis-labeling of it being bedroom black metal when it's nothing like that at all.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I don't get why you dislike Devast esp since you didn't bother offering any real feedback on why you hate them even with the mis-labeling of it being bedroom black metal when it's nothing like that at all.

See, what happened is that I thought of them after I had listed those three BM bands, so I added them into my post but forgot to change the part that said all of the above bands were bedroom BM.

As for why I hate it: I wrote a review for it here, but in short: the instrumentation is really sloppy, the vocals are crap, the riffs range from barely mediocre to godawful, and the songs stick to the same two static tempos throughout the entire album. Almost everything that can possibly go wrong, does so and to the maximum extent.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 pm 

I agree. The fact that you preffer a rather rawer quality and approach to your music doesnt mean you are just messing around to annoy people over the world. There are great low fi, "bed room" black metal outputs. The fact that Animae Capronii sucks is due horrid musicians, not so much to do with the genre. Dragonkey is pretty lame, even if they were a gimmick band, they are not even funny and loosing that much amount of time (they have a lot of albums!) when you are THAT bad seems just like a pathetic waste.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 pm 

Enmity makes Waking the Cadaver and Annotations of an Autopsy look like Atheist

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
The fact that Animae Capronii sucks is due horrid musicians, not so much to do with the genre.

Wait... what? AC is the sole one-man project of Cesare Sannino. He's the only guy working everything. He has no concept of filtering bullshit. That's why practically everything he's released is garbage. As far as I know, he's a complete joke in the Italian black metal scene.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

See, what happened is that I thought of them after I had listed those three BM bands, so I added them into my post but forgot to change the part that said all of the above bands were bedroom BM.

As for why I hate it: I wrote a review for it here, but in short: the instrumentation is really sloppy, the vocals are crap, the riffs range from barely mediocre to godawful, and the songs stick to the same two static tempos throughout the entire album. Almost everything that can possibly go wrong, does so and to the maximum extent.

I'll disagree completely, I glanced through the review and saw that you liked Waking the Cadaver and Enmity. I don't care for them so we won't share the same opinion ever. So there really is no reason to further this discussion. Adios.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:37 pm 

I've heard some awful bm bands such as Angel Dissection, Drowning the Light, and Drowning in Solitude. Bedroom bm is usually a recipe for disaster 99% of the time but those bands were exceptionally awful not followed that far behind by the depressive shit. In terms of death metal though Enmity and Artery Eruption ate the worst though, horrible musicianship with awful production is a lose lose. Manowar are still the worst band overall though

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Zarach "Baal" Tharagh, Satanic Forest/Northern Forest, this guy http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Bob_Macabre/6126

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:46 pm 

MattDoom wrote:

What the hell, so many projects.

Remember kids, quality over quantity

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 pm 

Cloud0129 wrote:
MattDoom wrote:

What the hell, so many projects.

Remember kids, quality over quantity

I have to agree, and it isn't the number of projects he has. That could happen, hell I have a ton... but what gets me is I went and listened to several of his projects.... I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. some might be more static-y than others but overall it was all like fifth rate Mortician throw away type songs. Maybe later when i feel like punishing myself again just to make sure. Cause god if all my material was like that i hope to god someone would tell me to fucking stop.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:00 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

NOISM are hardly the worst band ever. They're just kinda mediocre.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 pm 

Play the "random band" game and you'll find awful awful mediocre bands quite easily, hell there's 90 000 bands on MA. I'll keep the thread unlocked since there's many good replies but please, don't act like Veracs and it will stay that way. It's for truly terrible bands not for bands you simply dislike, there's a HUGE difference between Manowar and Animae Something.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 pm 

I dunno guys....there is a lot of really really bad shit out there. I think though, that no matter how bad a band is, there is always someone out there who likes it. For me, if I had to pick one band, it would be Cemetary Rapist- like that Bob guy mentioned above, Cemetary Rapist is basically one dude who has like five or six more or less identical bands, all of which feature songs about brutally raping underage girls, having sex with dead people, and other such things- and all of which sound like some guy making barnyard animal noises while playing random chugged chords. (So really...are there people who like that shit? Well I don't like to judge, but if you are into songs about raping underage girls then seriously, fuck you.) I would much rather listen to really bad, so bad it's almost good, bedroom black metal and/or totally inept grind/noisecore like Zarach Baal Tharagh or Exterminator from Brazil, than that stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 pm 

Geoff Tate's Queensryche has to take a spot, just for how totally, laughably incompetent everything is...they can't keep a stable lineup, their frontman is a total nutbag, the music is absent of anything creative or interesting, and the songwriting falls back on tired early 2000s radio rock cliches and can't even do that well. Plus his voice is really, really awful now, and it's not even like it's just the loss of range that's the problem. He could still sing interesting stuff if he tried, but all he seems to like doing is really breathy, awful, uncatchy vocal lines that sound like he just got done running a marathon. I can't think of a professional metal band with a singer who seems to intentionally sabotage his own voice and music along with it so much.

Skylark is also up there. Power metal done really, really weakly, with tin can production, embarrassing lyrics and boring, generic songs when they're not absolutely annoying as hell.

I'd also put Finist in there. Bunch of racist whackjobs doing really, really incompetent power metal.

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 pm 

My first thought was Kuster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-AG0a3LKXI

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 pm 

666 Satanic Army 666 was pretty funny, but I think they got removed from the site at some point.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:33 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

Oh, Noism. The awful band that has so much potential if they balanced out their music just a little bit more. There's also a song on ± called "YESISM," which makes me confused as to how to pronounce the band name itself!

Cloud0129 wrote:
Enmity makes Waking the Cadaver and Annotations of an Autopsy look like Atheist

Enmity and Waking the Cadaver are certainly terrible.

Metantoine wrote:
Play the "random band" game and you'll find awful awful mediocre bands quite easily, hell there's 90 000 bands on MA.

Yeah, that's right. How many bands in that 90,000+ would be considered "bad" to your ears? I think most bands would fall under the category of "it's okay, nothing great."

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I dunno guys....there is a lot of really really bad shit out there. I think though, that no matter how bad a band is, there is always someone out there who likes it. For me, if I had to pick one band, it would be Cemetary Rapist- like that Bob guy mentioned above, Cemetary Rapist is basically one dude who has like five or six more or less identical bands, all of which feature songs about brutally raping underage girls, having sex with dead people, and other such things- and all of which sound like some guy making barnyard animal noises while playing random chugged chords. (So really...are there people who like that shit? Well I don't like to judge, but if you are into songs about raping underage girls then seriously, fuck you.) I would much rather listen to really bad, so bad it's almost good, bedroom black metal and/or totally inept grind/noisecore like Zarach Baal Tharagh or Exterminator from Brazil, than that stuff.

The funniest thing about Cemetery Rapist is the band pic:
Spoiler: show

Note the green smoke photoshopped in, probably because he's never smoked anything more illegal than a Marlboro.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 pm 

Cemetary Rapist is my go-to band when talking about terrible chuggy slam death stuff.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

I just looked at the MA page for Cemetery Rapist.

The masochist in me needs to hear some of that. :|

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

Rainfall

MalignantThrone wrote:
I'm sure the biggest answer here is going to be Waking the Cadaver, so I'll be the first to say that no, Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler is a big, fun, catchy album and it is in fact you who suck.

:finger:

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIPWi-Gh8U

Frankly I lose it at those cricket chirp vocals.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:49 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIPWi-Gh8U

Frankly I lose it at those cricket chirp vocals.

You know, the music itself is actually passable, but the cricket chirping ruins it all. I'll skip this band. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:52 pm 

Metallumz wrote:
I don't know, if you hate a bedroom black-metal band isn't that kind of the point in that they don't make it to be enjoyed? 'shrugs'. For me however the worst has to be Dragonforce.

And why is that? The only genuine comment that can be made about them being bad is their songwriting, which is subjective anyway.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 pm 

Oh I know, how about Thrash Queen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMKiBzcBTjU

There's also all those fake bands that Metal Enterprises made to put out some really terrible albums.
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Me ... rises/2948

They put out a second Thrash Queen album too. I think it's kinda debatable whether the fake Thrash Queen is worse than the real one or not.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 pm 

You all lose.
Everybody knows the worst band on here is the infamous Drown In Solitude. It's nothing special with the music; just that bad depressive-suicidal black metal one-man bands. The music itself is mediocre, but wait until you hear the vocals!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQbgdVAvC-U
Are they the worst band on the archives? Maybe not, but I had never laughed that hard when I first listened to a band I had never heard of, which is why I pick them.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 am 

Marag wrote:
Rainfall

I figured this might as well be the place to ask, since they were brought up already: does anyone here have the actual music files for Rainfall? I've been interested in hearing them since I first saw them mentioned, but of course Noktorn wiped their music from the Internet so I've had trouble actually finding it. Could someone please upload it somewhere or PM it to me, if you have it? :D

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Marag wrote:
Rainfall

I figured this might as well be the place to ask, since they were brought up already: does anyone here have the actual music files for Rainfall? I've been interested in hearing them since I first saw them mentioned, but of course Noktorn wiped their music from the Internet so I've had trouble actually finding it. Could someone please upload it somewhere or PM it to me, if you have it? :D

I heard that name too. I'd like some links to torture myself with please.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 am 

AppleQueso wrote:
Oh I know, how about Thrash Queen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMKiBzcBTjU

There's also all those fake bands that Metal Enterprises made to put out some really terrible albums.
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Me ... rises/2948

They put out a second Thrash Queen album too. I think it's kinda debatable whether the fake Thrash Queen is worse than the real one or not.

I much prefer the fake. The fake is funny. The real thing is just dire. I'm not sure I'll ever give another album 0% but that piece of shit deserved it.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You all lose.
Everybody knows the worst band on here is the infamous Drown In Solitude. It's nothing special with the music; just that bad depressive-suicidal black metal one-man bands. The music itself is mediocre, but wait until you hear the vocals!
Are they the worst band on the archives? Maybe not, but I had never laughed that hard when I first listened to a band I had never heard of, which is why I pick them.

The review nails it: elephant black metal. :D There's another band that has similar vocals, and the guy actually fucked his vocals up doing it. I can't remember the name of the band but someone else might be able to.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 am 

MikeyC wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You all lose.

The review nails it: elephant black metal. :D There's another band that has similar vocals, and the guy actually fucked his vocals up doing it. I can't remember the name of the band but someone else might be able to.

Well, they don't sound like elephants, more like eagles, but when I think of "black metal with vocals which debilitated the vocalist in the process of performing them" I think of Fleurety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xYDk_sE2k

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:13 am 

The Metal Enterprises knockoff of Killer Fox is worth hearing for what might be Beavis' only recorded performance on a metal album. I HAVE A PORTFOLIOOOOO! IN MY BUNGHOLIOOOO!

Wheelz of Steel might have the saddest, most pitiful guitar leads ever recorded. And what the fuck is the drum machine doing?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I'd also put Finist in there. Bunch of racist whackjobs doing really, really incompetent power metal.

Wow, this band is abysmal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ-2YW8wLc
Sounds like something Trey Parker and Matt Stone would've written for Team America II. His voice during the chorus sounds like Kim Jong-il, and the lyrics are dumb as shit.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:50 am 

Manowar: No, you fool. You are afraid if yourself.
Rainfall: I want it.
Artery Eruption: Cool lo-fi slamming.
Thrash Queen: Everyone here listens to them on a regular basis.
Cemetary Rapist: Them and Heinous Killings are fun to put on for 5 minutes and have a laugh, not the worst thing ever.

Up your game, thread. Show me something BAD.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:09 am 

Dismantle are right up there as one of the worst.

It's another case of "Damn you BastardHead for exposing me to this crap". Easily the worst of the retro thrash bands that I've heard so far.

Also, Winds of Plague. I don't think I need to provide audio/visual evidence for that one.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:10 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Wow, this band is abysmal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ-2YW8wLc
Sounds like something Trey Parker and Matt Stone would've written for Team America II. His voice during the chorus sounds like Kim Jong-il, and the lyrics are dumb as shit.

I'm more thinking a wedding scene from a Final Fantasy game, where a woman marries a man who looks just like a woman and they're happy ever after.
EDIT: Oh my god their cover of "Land of the Free" is absolutely horrific: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsnncc02dQ

I actually don't really mind that Dismantle song. It's at least as good as some of the third-rate Bay Area bands that popped up in the late '80s (e.g. Defiance). The vocalist should be more judicious about when he pulls out the EEEEEEEEEP screams though.

MikeyC wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You all lose.

I nearly choked to death on my Gatorade. :lol:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next