Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 am 

I own a cheap bass amp which I also use for guitar. It does not work that well with my guitar but hey, I can practice with it. I want to buy a new more expensive amp but I do not know what amp to get. What equipment does one need to have an ultra low sound similar to Funeral and other Death/Doom bands? I would also like to know how to get a raw Black Metal sound similar to the likes of Paysage D'Hiver. Would this require a different amp or just a different pedal? Drums are my primary instrument and I do not know much about guitar. Thanks.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:42 pm 

ultra low sound is achieved by downtuning the guitar, amps are only to adjust distortion levels

i dont listen to raw black metal so i dont know how to get those tones and i dont know much about amps either, i myself use this thing and it gets a pretty nice sound but whatever the amp you get just make sure its a GUITAR amp and not a freakin bass amp lol

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
ultra low sound is achieved by downtuning the guitar, amps are only to adjust distortion levels

No, no they are not. Amps play a huge part in shaping and determining your tone. This includes getting a more bass-heavy sound or a more trebley sound.

To get a low, doom/death tone you will want to up the mids and lows, and maybe pull back a bit on the highs. Pulling back on your guitar's tone knob can help too (that's what Tom Warrior does).

As for an amp to get, a midrange priced (say 400-500 bucks) combi amp will probably be plenty of volume, and good enough tone for the op. Something like a 50-watt or so twin speaker combi (Fender twin for example, or an Orange of around the same size and power though that might be more pricey). If you really want to you could go for a half stack, but that is probably just overkill.

For a raw black metal sound, I would recommend the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. It tends to get a fair bit of hate, but honestly, I think it's perfect if you want that raw BM sound.

Jacobus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 am 

You can get that old school raw BM sound by using high mids and cutting back on the lows and highs (not too much on the high though, just enough to give it a little bit of clarity). Turning your reverb up and the presence wayy down will get you that distant tone.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am 

mike40k wrote:
No, no they are not. Amps play a huge part in shaping and determining your tone. This includes getting a more bass-heavy sound or a more trebley sound.

You're kinda nitpicking there, my point remains that amps cannot create an "ultra low" sound, an amp will not magically make your e-standard tuned guitar sound like g-standard, you'll need to downtune...or you can also use a digitech whammy pedal and set it for an octave lower.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 am 

For a classic raw black metal tone, a Marshall JCM800 or similar with the bass almost completely down, and then really high mids and treble, with a Tubescreamer in front.

For funeral doom/death doom, I've had good results by downtuning a shitload, and then running loads of gain. If you tune low enough (like, at least down to B), you can get interesting tones by not really adding in lots of bass - because you've added in low frequencies by tuning down, they don't require as much push to enhance them. And although I've never really tried this, I've heard that adding a Tubescreamer tightens up the low end a lot for a fatter sound.

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:24 pm 

mike40k wrote:

You're kinda nitpicking there, my point remains that amps cannot create an "ultra low" sound, an amp will not magically make your e-standard tuned guitar sound like g-standard, you'll need to downtune...or you can also use a digitech whammy pedal and set it for an octave lower.

I disagree. Amps determine a lot of what you can do EQ-wise. Your guitar's pickups make a difference, certainly, but I'd say the amp is the most important piece most of the time. A good distortion or OD pedal can sometimes be a substitute, but the amp's EQ is the first place you should go to shape your tone.

For example, my Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 has a 3 band EQ where you can pull any of the knobs for a boost. Even on my Super Swede's stock humbuckers, high mids and boosted bass creates a heavy doom tone, especially when I run it through a fuzz pedal.

I'd actually recommend this amp to the OP for that death/doom tone. I got it with a matching 4x12 on craigslist for $400. I've used it for several recordings if you'd like to hear it in action.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 pm 

what the hell are you talking about, did you even read my post?

RabbitOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm 

what the hell are you talking about, did you even read my post?

Yes, I did. You made the claim that amplifiers are only for "adjusting distortion levels" and that tone is adjusted by downtuning or using an octave pedal. I made the point that an amp's EQ could have a more pronounced effect than you implied.

It's cool if you want to use only the volume and gain knobs, but it's hardly "nitpicking" to point out that other controls for tone shaping are indeed present on the vast majority of amps.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 am 

RabbitOfDoom wrote:
You made the claim that amplifiers are only for "adjusting distortion levels" and that tone is adjusted by downtuning or using an octave pedal.

Not what I said at all.

Quote:
I made the point that an amp's EQ could have a more pronounced effect than you implied.

When I said amps adjust distortion levels I also meant all the mid/low/treble levels and everything else related to guitar tone. Basically you specified what I implied.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm 

This part of your earlier comment is what was confusing for me and apparently others, but you cleared it all up now. Have you done any recordings using a pedal to lower stuff an octave and if so how did you like the results? I'd like to hear how it sounded if you would be willing to share.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:25 pm 

Truth be told I've never actually tried to use any digitech whammy pedals but apparently Metallica used them in that one riff in the song Cyanide and a couple tracks on the St.Anger album so that's how I know about those things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTO2pkut2jo&t=3m2s
Here's a link to that one riff in Cyanide, the song is played in E standard tuning but that one riff goes down to the lower D and this is achieved by playing the riff from higher D on an E-tuned guitar and using a digitech whammy set to 1 octave lower to reach that low D which couldn't be reached otherwise on standard E tuning. You can hear the result for yourself.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:32 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:

This part of your earlier comment is what was confusing for me and apparently others

+1 more. : [internet communication of meaning fail no. 8849202]

Reply to topic